Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology, New South Wales
Minor Flood Warning for the Lachlan River
at Cottons Weir
Issued at 9:51 am EST on Wednesday 26 August 2020
Flood Warning Number: 2
MINOR FLOODING POSSIBLE AT COTTONS WEIR ON WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON
The Lachlan River at Cottons Weir may peak near the minor flood level (3.5 metres) on Wednesday afternoon.
The Lachlan River at Forbes Iron Bridge peaked around 7.4 metres early on Wednesday morning, this is below the minor flood level of 8.8 metres. The main flood peak is now approaching Cottons Weir, where levels are currently very close to the minor flood level (3.5 metres).
Lachlan River downstream of Wyangala Dam to Jemalong Weir:
Minor flooding is possible along the Lachlan River at Cottons Weir. Levels at Forbes Iron Bridge are expected to remain below the minor flood level.
The Lachlan River at Forbes Iron Bridge peaked near 7.4 metres around 5:00 am Wednesday 26 August and is currently near 7.3 metres and slowly falling. This peak is below the minor flood level (8.8 metres).
The Lachlan River at Cottons Weir is currently around 3.4 metres and steady. The Lachlan River at Cottons Weir may peak near the minor flood level (3.5 m) on Wednesday afternoon.
Flood Safety Advice:
In life threatening emergencies, call 000 (triple zero) immediately. If you require rescue, assistance to evacuate or other emergency help, ring NSW SES on 132 500.
- * Avoid drowning. Stay out of rising water, seek refuge in the highest available place.
- * Prevent damage to your vehicle. Move it under cover, away from areas likely to flood.
- * Avoid being swept away. Stay out of fast-flowing creeks and storm drains.
- * Never drive, ride or walk through flood water. Flood water can be deceptive and dangerous.
For more emergency information, advice, and access to the latest river heights and rainfall observations and forecasts:
* NSW SES: www.ses.nsw.gov.au
* RMS Live Traffic: www.livetraffic.com
* Latest River Heights and Rainfall Observations: www.bom.gov.au/nsw/flood/centralwest.shtml
* Latest NSW Warnings: www.bom.gov.au/nsw/warnings/
* Rainfall Forecasts: www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/
* BOM NSW Twitter: www.twitter.com/BOM_NSW.
The next warning will be issued by 10:00 am EST on Thursday 27 August 2020.
Latest River Heights:
|Location||Height of River (m)||Tendency||Date/Time of Observation|
|Boorowa River at Prossers Crossing||1.61||Steady||09:30 AM WED 26/08/20|
|Lachlan River at Cowra||2.27||Steady||09:00 AM WED 26/08/20|
|Lachlan River at Nanami||3.98||Falling||09:00 AM WED 26/08/20|
|Lachlan River at Forbes Iron Bridge||7.35||Steady||09:00 AM WED 26/08/20|
|Lachlan River at Cottons Weir||3.42||Steady||09:00 AM WED 26/08/20|
|Lachlan River at Jemalong Weir Downstream||6.42||Steady||08:45 AM WED 26/08/20|
|Lachlan River at Condobolin Bridge||3.09||Steady||09:00 AM WED 26/08/20|
|Lachlan River at Hillston Weir||1.36||Steady||09:00 AM WED 26/08/20|
|Lachlan River at Booligal Weir||0.42||Steady||09:00 AM WED 26/08/20|
This advice is also available by dialling 1300 659 210. Warning, rainfall and river information are available at www.bom.gov.au/nsw/flood. The latest weather forecast is available at www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts.