SA Premier Pushes The Change Of Repatriation Arrangements On Overseas Citizens

The Premier of South Australia is urging change for repatriation arrangements for overseas citizens and wants all returning travellers to undergo mandatory COVID-19 tests before boarding flights.

However, these changes would have to be approved by the National Cabinet.

The proposal was submitted as part of an eight-point plan outlined by Mr Steven Marshall today. This is in response to the coronavirus cluster linked to one of Adelaide’s medi-hotels which catered returning travellers.

Mr Marshall revealed this morning, “We will ask National Cabinet to consider testing all returning Australian citizens before their flights with a view that they must have negative test results before boarding.”

Yesterday, it was announced that the two people previously thought to have acquired COVID-19 overseas caught the virus while in quarantine at the Peppers Waymouth Hotel.

The Premier asserted that the change should sweep nationally so that overseas arrivals were tested before getting on flights, rather than just for flights coming into Adelaide. This is for the reason that flights were often rerouted. We’d need to do this from a national approach,” he said.

Meanwhile, South Australia cancelled all incoming flights until at least November 30 to sort out problems in the state’s medi-hotel system and allow space for locals associated with the Parafield cluster to quarantine.

Mr Marshall revealed he has written to the Commonwealth to ask that the pause should be extended. Since then, about 600 people had been arriving in Adelaide each week, with up to 1,200 in quarantine in CBD hotels.

The Premier rest assured, as per his statement, that they are still committed to the repatriation of Australian citizens who are stranded overseas, he promised to play their part.

“But we’re not going to rush into this. We’re going to gradually step back into receiving those people when we receive that advice from Health that it is safe to do so.” He added.

Gap Of Communication For A Free Mammogram Among the 40s

free mammogram

A Serious Health Risk For The Age Group

Cancer is a very tricky disease, and the more we age, the more we feel the need for government provisions to mitigate the devastating effects of cancer.

For Rachel Evagelou, 48 years old, it is not the case. Her aggressive, stage-three breast cancer diagnosis came as a “huge shock” because she believed she was still a couple of years shy of having to get a mammogram.

More so, making the appointment to be screened was just “a fluke” after she came across a friend’s Facebook post urging all women to book a breast cancer test.

“I didn’t go along to have my mammogram because I hadn’t felt anything nor had any symptoms,” Ms Evagelou revealed.

The scariest thing is that it only started growing about eight to 12 weeks before she was diagnosed. Soon after, the seven-centimetre lump had split into two malignant cancers. She then affirmed that the disease was really a “nasty thing”.

Being said that, the Federal Government has long offered free screening mammograms for women from the age of 40. However, its approach to advertising the test has been criticized given the fact that women are unaware of the free screening program until they turn 50. This means they had become eligible for a free test a decade earlier.

Ms Evagelou assumed that the lack of advertisement made her believe that, in her age, she isn’t at risk yet.

On the other hand, another patient diagnosed with stage-three breast cancer in her 50s, Belinda Barnier, underwent lengthy bouts of chemotherapy and mastectomy.

Her battle with cancer encouraged her to begin campaigning to women about early detection in younger woman, calling on the Federal Government to bring forward its communication by a decade.

She really believes that there is a massive communication gap and she assures to never rest until it is changed.

“Right now, 40 to 49-year-olds are absolutely able to get a free breast screen, and I would like to see those women get in there and find out about it so they can take control of their lives. Demand it. You’re entitled to it. We all pay taxes. The services are there.” She added.

One of her friend, Jodie Shepherd, who was diagnosed with stage-one breast cancer in her 40s. Since then, she also began speaking to women about getting screened younger.

Cancer Australia CEO Professor Dorothy Keefe said that evidence showed screening becomes cost-effective when you reach 50.” This is the reason why they claimed communicating the free mammogram service was “tricky” and “a little bit complicated”.

They cited that a fair few breast cancer diagnosis occurs to women in their 40s. That said, the government assured to pay for the mammographic screening of that age group despite the lack of advertisement.

She added that around 19,800 women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year in Australia, and only 16 per cent of those are aged in their 40s.

Admittedly, she revealed that they need to be more sophisticated in breast cancer screening, thus, different factors in an individual woman get added up and target screening at people who are at higher risk.

As for Ms Evagelou, who endured her first round of chemotherapy, she revealed that it was not enough. Yet, remaining good-humoured, she dressed in 1950s pin-up attire for the dreadful five-hour treatment and adopted the social media moniker ‘Cancer pin-up’ on Instagram.

On the internet, she expresses her bubbly personality despite the disease and calls for younger women for earlier detection. Amid the nasty disease, she had kept a positive outlook in helping others in the same situation as hers.

Locks come off Victoria

It was the 9th of June this year when the last zero cases day occurred. Finally zero positive cases, zero deaths and only 6 in hospital, Victoria is getting well on top of COVID. Even though we have been under 5 community transfers for some 5 weeks now, Daniel Andrews has finally flagged today as the right day to announce the re-opening of Retail, Cafe’s, Restaurants, Pubs and the remainder of the Hospitality industry for 11.59pm Tuesday night. Meaning come Wednesday Victoria and especially Melbourne will be taking it’s first real steps towards opening across the volume of businesses.

In the initial period which runs up to the 8th of November, it is really baby steps, with 10 to 20 being allowed given the type of shop, eatery and the square metre’s available. Once we move past the 8th of November, Gym’s, Pools, and numerous other health, fitness related businesses, will be able to re-open too. On Religious gatherings will see initially 10 inside or 20 outside plus the facilitator, Weddings and Funerals may have slightly higher numbers at 20 and then past the 8th of November up to 50 pending the location.

This has been achieved due to the Northern Suburbs outbreak from late last week, being countered through large scale testing over close to 2,000 plus people all returning a negative results. This outbreak and scare surrounding it appears to have stemmed from DHHS clearing the family to return to school when they had not tested the family for confirmation of being negative. This unfortunately meant a child attended school. The family wishes Victorian’s to know it was provided written confirmation that their son could attend school. This was not something they took upon themselves, they sought advice and then followed the instructions.

The re-opening of Victoria will no doubt take some huge efforts in preparation which is allowed prior to these dates. All venues must be Covid compliant and ready with their Covid Plan to operate. As Victorian’s we all want the best outcome, so assisting these businesses that have been forced shut for such a long of time would be the best advice we can offer. Support Local Business as this is exactly what My Local Pages does, supporting Locals, Communities and the Businesses that serve us. Let’s show our support and spend

Mali releases 180 jihadists in likely prisoner exchange


Bamako: Malian authorities have released 180 Islamic extremists from a prison in the capital and flown them to the country’s north, an official confirmed late Sunday, fuelling speculation that a prominent opposition politician held by jihadists could soon be freed after more than six months in captivity.

The militants who abducted Soumaila Cisse back in late March were believed to be seeking a prisoner exchange with the Malian government. Some 70 men were released on Saturday and another 110 on Sunday, according to an official who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.

Efforts to free the political leader were set back by August’s coup.Credit:Getty Images

There was no immediate comment late on Sunday from Mali’s transitional government, which was only recently put in place more than a month after the country’s democratically elected president was ousted in a military coup.

Cisse, a 70-year-old who has run for Mali’s presidency three times, was campaigning ahead of legislative elections not far from Timbuktu at the time of his abduction. His bodyguard was killed in the attack, and the only proof of life has been a handwritten letter delivered back in August.



Source link

Daniher poised to come straight back


A free agent at season’s end, Daniher’s performances over the final few weeks of the season will shape his value, should he either choose to remain at Essendon or seek a move to another club, just as he did last year when he tried to get traded to Sydney.

The Bombers will also be able to call on Conor McKenna and Cale Hooker who have recovered from injury.

“Cale’s tracking very well. He had a solid hit-out on the weekend, trained fully with the group today, pulled up well and will be available to play against Hawthorn,” head of medical services David Rundle said on the club’s website on Tuesday.

“Conor injured his hip against St Kilda. He strained the tensor fascia latae muscle just on the side of the pelvis. He wasn’t able to run last week, but he’s pulled up well this week, trained with the group today and is available to play.”

The Hawks will remain without Jaeger O’Meara and Isaac Smith.

“Jaeger had that hand operated on last week after fracturing it against West Coast Eagles,” the club said on its website.

“Unfortunately the swelling and the wound isn’t quite ready for him to play this week, but we’re hoping in the next one to two weeks he’ll be available to play.

“With these quick turnarounds and five-day breaks, it’s a little bit harder to get up for the next game, so we’ll wait and see how he settles.”



Source link

Drew Brees’ wife apologises for his comments and says ‘we are the problem’


Drew Brees’ wife Brittany penned an emotional message Friday on Instagram, stating “we are the problem,” a day after the New Orleans Saints quarterback offered a second apology over his national anthem remarks in the wake of George Floyd’s death.

“We are the problem,” Brittany began. “I write this with tears in my eyes and I hope you all hear our hearts.”

Sharing two quotes from Martin Luther King Jr. — “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends,” and, “Not only will we have to repent for the sins of bad people; but we also will have to repent for the appalling silence of good people” — Brittany said that while she has read these statements a thousand times, she digested the whole meaning in recent days.

RELATED: Brees responds to Trumps comments

“I have read these quotes and scripture 1000 times and every time I read it and the words sink into my heart,” Brittany said, also referencing the passage: “The Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you.”

Brittany said, “I think yes this is what it’s all about … Only until the last few days, until we experienced the death threats we experienced the hate … Did I realise that these words were speaking directly to us … how could anyone who knows us or has had interactions with us think that Drew or I have a racist bone in our body? But that’s the whole point.

“Somehow we as white America, we can feel good about not being racist, feel good about loving one an another as God loves us. We can feel good about educating our children about the horrors of slavery and history. We can read books to our children about Martin Luther King, Malcolm X., Hank Aaron, Barack Obama, Rosa parks, Harriet Tubman.. and feel like we are doing our part to raise our children to love, be unbiased and with no prejudice. To teach them about all of the African-Americans that have fought for and risked their lives against racial injustice,” she continued.

“Somehow as white Americans we feel like that checks the box of doing the right thing. Not until this week did Drew and I realise that this is the problem. To say ‘I don’t agree with disrespecting the flag ‘.. I now understand was also saying I don’t understand what the problem really is, I don’t understand what you’re fighting for, and I’m not willing to hear you because of our preconceived notion‘s of what that flag means to us,” she added.

Brees, 41, came under fire earlier this week after an interview with Yahoo Finance, saying he “will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country.”

He apologised Wednesday following a wave of criticism from LeBron James and members of the NFL community.

“In speaking with some of you, it breaks my heart to know the pain I have caused. In an attempt to talk about respect, unity, and solidarity centred around the American flag and the national anthem, I made comments that were insensitive and completely missed the mark on the issues we are facing right now as a country,” Brees said.

He spoke again Thursday in a video message posted to Instagram.

“I know there’s not much that I could say that would make things any better right now,” Brees said in the video. “But I just want you to see in my eyes how sorry I am for the comments that I made yesterday. I know they hurt many people, especially friends, teammates, former teammates, loved ones, people that I care and respect deeply.”

Brittany added in her remarks, “That’s the problem we are not listening, white America is not hearing.”

“We’re not actively looking for racial prejudice,” she continued. “We have heard stories from men and women we have known and loved for years about the racism that occurred in their lives .. stories that were never shared or talked about because somehow they were considered normal.”

Brittany then vowed, “To all of our friends and anyone we hurt … we will do better.”

“We want to do better, we want to hear you, and we will fight for you because thinking we are not part of the problem … is checking the box it means we are not doing enough. It’s our job to educate ourselves. We are sorry,” she concluded.

Brittany’s message follows nationwide protests taking place in response to Floyd’s death. He died in Minneapolis last month after former cop Derek Chauvin pressed his knee into Floyd’s neck for more than eight minutes. He has since been charged with murder and manslaughter.

This article originally appeared on the NY Post and was reproduced with permission.



Source link