Whether you wish to make Carrot Puree as a first food for your baby or as a bright and nutritious family side dish, this recipe and guide have you covered.
How to Make Carrot Puree
Carrot puree is very easy to make:
- Peel and cut carrots into evenly-sized pieces
- Simmer in just enough water to cover the carrots
- Drain, reserving the cooking liquid
- Transfer carrots to a blender/food processor, add 2-4 tbsp of the reserved liquid and blend until smooth
Carrot Puree for Babies
Carrot is a very versatile vegetable and is the perfect puree to mix with a range of other fruits, veggies and meats. Once your baby has enjoyed carrot puree by itself then why not try mixing it with:
Other Ways to Use Carrot Puree
Many parents serve purees to their babies but stop pureeing food once they get older, which is understandable as we want our babies to progress and get used to different food textures.
However, purees can be a great way to add fruit or vegetables to a meal. Carrot puree can add colour, nutrition and flavour to many meals. Why not try:
- Serving it as a base for your meal or a colourful accompaniment. (Try topping it with chicken or pan-fried fish)
- Mixing it with mashed potato
- Adding it into baked goods like carrot cake or muffins
- Stirring it through sauces (e.g pasta sauce) for a nutritional boost
If serving it as a meal accompaniment try adding a knob of butter when you cook the carrots and then, once pureed, season with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- Refrigerate: Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to two days.
- Freeze: Spoon the puree into flexible ice-cube trays, or baby food containers, and freeze until solid. (Freezing in ice cube trays allows you to defrost the small amounts when you need it). Once they’re fully frozen, quickly pop them all out and place the frozen cubes into a freezer bag or container and return to the freezer. Thaw in the refrigerator.
Have you tried this recipe? I love receiving your feedback. Please rate and comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
A delicious first puree for babies or a vibrant and nutritious side dish.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Hover over “serves” value to reveal recipe scaler
- 500g (1.1lb) Carrots trimmed, peeled and chopped into small equal sized pieces
Place carrots in a medium saucepan, and cover with just enough water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer until the carrots are tender (around 20 mins).
Drain the carrots, reserving the liquid.
Place the carrots into a blender, or food processor, along with 2-4 tbsp of the reserved cooking liquid. Puree on high until very smooth, adding more liquid if required.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 26 Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Vitamin A 10441IU209%
Vitamin C 4mg5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.