NRL clubs to host home matches from early July in round eight of 2020 premiership


Fifteen of the 16 NRL clubs have been given permission to return to their traditional home grounds from round eight onwards.

The development will coincide with the return of a capped number of spectators in New South Wales and Queensland.

Gold Coast will be the first club to open its gates to supporters, with the Queensland Government this weekend trialling crowds of 2,000 people.

The Titans play St George Illawarra at Lang Park on Saturday.

The New South Wales Government has already given the green light for stadiums with less than a 40,000-spectator capacity to operate with attendances of up to 25 per cent from the start of July.

The Raiders received approval from the ACT Government to play their round-eight match against the Dragons at Canberra Stadium and the club is hopeful fans will be allowed to attend.

New Zealand’s Warriors are the only club that will remain relocated indefinitely in Gosford, due to coronavirus-enforced travel restrictions in New Zealand.

Male Warriors players walk off the field after losing a match to the Knights in Newcastle.
The Warriors will have to remain in Australia for the foreseeable future.(AAP: Darren Pateman)

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’landys said the decision to allow clubs to return to their home grounds had been ticked off by health authorities.

“This is an outstanding outcome for our clubs, our players and importantly our fans who have been so loyal, and patient, throughout this crisis,” V’landys said in a statement.

“Our fans are everything and the opportunity to have them back in their home ground stands, is the greatest reward of all for their unwavering passion.

A view across an empty rugby league venue on a sunny day on the Gold Coast.
The Titans will be able to play again at their home ground in Robina early next month.(AAP: Dave Hunt)

V’landys, who has been bullish in leading the NRL out of the COVID-19 crisis, said government support had been crucial in reaching this decision.

“I also want to thank the state and federal governments for their ongoing assistance, and the Queensland Government for allowing crowds of up to 2,000, that’s a great result for Queensland fans,” he said.

The move also comes with the league exploring the possibility of the 50-person biosecurity bubbles bursting after this weekend’s matches.

AAP



Source link

Recommended Posts