Man accused of fatal bashing outside Slug ‘n’ Lettuce pub pleads not guilty


Posted

April 23, 2020 16:13:52

A man charged over the death of another man he allegedly bashed outside a British-themed pub in Adelaide’s northern suburbs last year has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter.

Key points:

  • The alleged incident occurred outside the Slug ‘n’ Lettuce pub in June last year
  • The victim was taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital in a critical condition, but later died
  • Lachlan McCluskey has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter over the death

Lachlan McCluskey was allegedly involved in a drunken argument with the 46-year-old victim at the Slug ‘n’ Lettuce hotel at Parafield Gardens in June.

The accused faced the Adelaide Magistrates Court this morning and pleaded not guilty.

Another man who police said had been present at the time of the incident was also charged with manslaughter, but the charge was dropped last year.

Police were called to the hotel about 12:40am on the night of the incident and found the 46-year-old with serious injuries.

He was taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital in a critical condition, but later died.

Mr McCluskey and the other man allegedly present at the time of the incident were initially charged with murder.

However, prosecutors later said those charges had been downgraded to manslaughter.

Prosecutors have alleged Mr McCluskey punched the man in the head once, knocking him to the ground.

Magistrate Gary Gumpl previously told Mr McCluskey the allegation against him was “very serious”.

He also noted Mr McCluskey had no criminal records, adding there was little risk of him “being a menace to the community”, releasing him on bail with a $1,000 bond.

Last year, police described the victim’s death as “tragic” and “senseless”.

The matter will go to trial in July.

Topics:

law-crime-and-justice,

crime,

police,

courts-and-trials,

murder-and-manslaughter,

adelaide-5000,

sa,

parafield-gardens-5107



Source link

Recommended Posts