Elderly man becomes 10th Tasmanian to die from coronavirus, ninth north-west victim


Updated

April 25, 2020 14:18:22

A man from Tasmania’s north-west coast has become the 10th Tasmanian to die from coronavirus, the state’s second death in two days.

Key points:

  • Tasmania’s north-west has recorded two deaths in two days
  • The region now accounts for nine out of Tasmania’s 10 deaths
  • The two latest cases are also from the north-west; two men aged in their 20s

The 90-year-old man died on Friday at the Mersey Community Hospital in Latrobe.

Nine out of the 10 Tasmanian COVID-19 deaths have been people from the north-west of the state.

On Thursday, a 79-year-old resident of Devonport’s Melaleuca aged care home lost her fight with coronavirus five days after testing positive.

The region is in the midst of a major outbreak, so far recording 135 of the state’s 207 cases.

Tasmania COVID-19 snapshot

  • Confirmed cases: 207
  • Deaths: 10, 9 in north-west

What do I do if I think I have coronavirus?
If you think you might have COVID-19 because you feel unwell with a fever, cough, sore throat or shortness of breath and have travelled recently or had contact with a confirmed case, phone your GP or the Tasmanian Public Health Hotline on 1800 671 738.

Testing criteria are different for north-west residents.

Need an interpreter?
Phone the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and tell them your language.

For more information and factsheets:
Visit the Tasmanian Government’s coronavirus page here.

Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein said his thoughts were with the man’s family and loved ones.

“On behalf of the Tasmanian Government, I’d like to extend my condolences and deep sorrow to the family of the 10th victim of coronavirus,” he said.

“To the north-west community, which I know to be a tight-knit community, my thoughts are with you all.”

Two cases of men in their 20s, also in the north-west, are the latest Tasmanians to be diagnosed.

Mr Gutwein said the measures to contain COVID-19 appeared to be working and the Government would continue “working hard” to reduce the impact of coronavirus.

But extra north-west restrictions would need to remain in place until May 3.

“Yesterday we had another two cases. Obviously, the measures that we put in place on the north-west coast appear to be working,” he said.

“It’s going to be important that we keep the restrictions in place for at least another week as we work through this and we conduct more testing.”

Tasmania’s first coronavirus death, a woman in her 80s, was recorded at the North West Regional Hospital in Burnie on March 30.

Your questions on coronavirus answered:

The death, and several others, have been linked to the Ruby Princess cruise ship outbreak.

What the experts are saying about coronavirus:

Since the death, Burnie’s two main hospitals have closed and 5,000 people with close connections to them were put into quarantine.

The Government said the isolation periods would end in a staggered fashion, depending on when each healthcare employee worked their last shift.

As of 6:00pm on Friday night, the state’s tally of cases is 207 with 80 active cases.

There are 13 people with COVID-19 in hospital, one in intensive care.

The state has conducted 7,983 coronavirus tests.

Topics:

covid-19,

older-people,

healthcare-facilities,

diseases-and-disorders,

health,

tas,

burnie-7320,

hobart-7000,

launceston-7250

First posted

April 25, 2020 10:59:33



Source link

Recommended Posts