DEMOLITION could be on the cards for Bowen’s iconic Coke Works as the Queensland Government is calling for demolition tenders to assess the future of the plant.
The plant was established in 1932 by the Queensland Government to produce metallurgical coke for smelter operations in Mount Isa, and was closed to operations in 2016.
Late last year a fire ripped through the historic building, destroying much of what remained at the abandoned site.
A spokesman from the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy said the tender on this occasion was very broad, aiming to gauge and assess what the best plan for the future of the site was.
He said they could not confirm timelines until the tender applications were assessed and the department had made a decision.
“The tender is to scope possible methodologies, costs and timeframes for the demolition and removal of structures,” he said.
“Once the tender process closes on May 1, it will provide guidance to the department on the timing and resource requirements for the work.
“Given the nature of the proposed works, HPW (Department of Housing and Public Works) will manage the tender process and any contractor supervision.”
Tender applications will close on May 1.