MyBudget system outage leaves thousands of Australian customers in financial limbo


Thousands of people using debt-management service MyBudget have been left in financial limbo due to a system outage impacting its services.

The Adelaide-based company’s payment services, app, client portal and messaging services have been down since Saturday.

The company expected the issues to be resolved in two days, but by Wednesday evening the outage was not fixed and its cause remained unknown.

In an online message company director Tammy Barton said customers’ money was safe.

“I want to let you know that we’ve been working around the clock, literally, to get everything fixed, tested and back online as soon as possible,” she said.

Loading

The company said the average cost of its services across almost 13,000 accounts was $42 a week, but it could be more expensive in more complicated financial situations.

The company’s phone lines reached capacity on Wednesday, causing engaged signals and delays for customers.

Ms Barton said there were options available for those needing urgent payments.

“While automatic payments have been interrupted, we are still able to process payments manually and you still have access to your savings,” she said.

“If you have any urgent bills or transfers that need processing please call our client care team.

“We might not have all the answers right now, but please know we’ll try our absolute best to find a resolution.”

‘No confidence in MyBudget whatsoever’

Jade Payne, who lives on the Gold Coast, said she and her husband had been with MyBudget since 2015.

She said customers were told the issue would only take between 24 to 48 hours to rectify, however the service was still down.

“Not being able to transfer or access anything or see anything, it makes me really worried,” she said.

Jade and Joshua Payne, pictured with three of their children, have been with MyBudget since 2015.(Supplied: Jade Payne)

She said despite receiving an email and a video message from Ms Barton, customers had no idea what had caused the outage.

She said the issue had not been addressed, customers did not know when it would be fixed, and nothing had been implemented for people trying to access their money.

For this reason, she said, she would not stay with the company.

“I’ve got no confidence in MyBudget whatsoever, how they’ve handled it, the communication, even when you speak to the employees … they don’t know anything either,” she said.

She also raised concerns about privacy, saying she was concerned the company had been hacked.

“I’m talking your licence, your address, your mobile [number], bank account details, all of your debt, credit rating, everything.

“Someone could easily steal your identity, no problem.”

‘Will my rent be paid on time?’

Customers have also been sharing their anger online, with one person highlighting that she may not be able to pay her rent.

“I have been trying all day. Will my rent be paid on time this Friday or not?” she wrote on Twitter.

Tammy Barton standing up in the Adelaide CBD wearing a white top
Ms Barton said customers’ money was safe and secure.(mybudget.com.au)

Another user said the business’s communication with customers during the outage had not been good enough.

“What is happening? Five days without access to our money and one wish-washy update daily that tells us nothing about whether our details and data has been breached,” the user wrote.

In a statement posted online, the company said its tech team was focused on system restoration.

It said administration fees would also be waived for customers during the system outage.

“We are continuing manual payments today and hope to report incremental service restoration as soon as possible.

“We realise this is not ideal and we do sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this is causing and thank you for your patience.”



Source link

Recommended Posts