The principal said he believed there had been a misunderstanding that led to the family sending their child to school.
“We’re not trying to find a fault in this one,” he said. “The best thing is to see what we can do from now on.”
Mr Ozyurek said he received a call from the Health Department on Tuesday inquiring about the student’s attendance at the school, when he was told the boy was meant to still be in isolation.
The principal said he was not advised to close the school at that stage, but did so anyway out of precaution.
“I made the executive decision to close the school,” the said. “We can’t take any chances.”
The school was officially ordered to close on Wednesday when the boy tested positive.
“We gave them [DHHS] all the contact numbers [of close contacts],” Mr Ozyurek said.
“I’m hoping and praying that the classroom teacher has not picked up anything.”
East Preston Islamic College is a not-for-profit school with about 600 students from kindergarten to year 12.
Primary-aged students at the school had only returned to face-to-face learning last week.
Of the three new COVID-19 cases reported on Wednesday, two were linked to the “northern metro region community outbreak:, which now has 23 cases in total, with 14 active.
The third new case was a household contact of a known case.
Members of the public in the Preston and Heidelberg areas received text messages on Wednesday advising anyone with symptoms to get tested immediately.
Comment has been sought from the Health Department.
Rachael Dexter is a breaking news reporter at The Age.