Blockbuster heavyweight rematch confirmed


Tyson Fury will fight Anthony Joshua in Saudi Arabia on August 14, the heavyweight has confirmed.

The date and location of the huge unification showdown had been revealed by Eddie Hearn and the Gypsy King has now publicly backed the plan, The Sun reported.

Watch Boxing Live & On-Demand on Kayo. Selected international fights, classic bouts and more. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

On Monday AEST, Fury posted a video to his Instagram and revealed talks with Khalid bin Salman Al Saud, prince of Saudi Arabia.

The 32-year-old told his 4.2 million followers: “Got some massive news for you all.

“I’ve just got off the phone from Prince Khalid of Saudi Arabia, he’s told me this fight is 100 per cent on. August 14, 2021 summertime.

“All eyes of the world will be on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

“And I cannot wait, repeat: cannot wait to smash Anthony Joshua on the biggest stage of all time.

“This is going to be the biggest sporting event ever to grace the planet earth. Do not miss it. All eyes on us.

“Peace out, God bless, see you all in Saudi! Yes, get in!”

READ MORE: Touching scenes after ‘brutal’ knockout

Saudi Arabia hosted 31-year-old Joshua’s title rematch victory over Andy Ruiz Jr in December 2019 amid criticism from human rights’ campaigners.

A temporary venue was constructed in Diriyah for the fight and Matchroom boss Hearn has promised a new stadium that will ‘shock the world’ for August’s unification event.

“They want to build a new stadium,” Hearn told Sky Sports.

“They have indoors options. In August at 11pm it will be about 23 degrees.

“They want to create something very, very special.

“Last time they built a stadium for the Andy Ruiz Jr fight in just seven weeks and it held 18,000. This will be a similar set-up.

“They have the opportunity to hold it indoors but they want to create something that will shock the world. They want to build a stadium just for this fight.”

This article originally appeared on The Sun and was reproduced with permission

Thanks for stopping by and seeing this news release involving Aussie sports news called “Blockbuster heavyweight rematch confirmed”. This news article was shared by MyLocalPages as part of our local and national news services.

#Blockbuster #heavyweight #rematch #confirmed



Source link

Recommended Posts