Former Melbourne and North Melbourne forward receives $1.4m payout


Former Melbourne and North Melbourne forward Shaun Smith is the recipient of a landmark $1.4 million payout.

The Herald Sun has reported that the high-flying ex-Demon and Kangaroo has received the damages payment due to the significant brain injuries he sustained during his 10-year, 109-game AFL career.

The aforementioned sum was paid to Smith, 51, by his insurance company MLC after they ruled that he has a ‘total and permanent disablement’ caused by frequent and heavy knocks to the head.

The man who took the Mark of the Century said: “This just proves that concussion is real – that we are not just making this stuff up.

“I’m only the tip of the iceberg.”

Veteran player agent Peter Jess, who has worked closely with Smith, says the payout would not have been received by most past and present AFL players because the League is insured by AMP who don’t recognise the CTE symptoms.

“This should be the game changer,” said Jess.

“It means you have independent medical experts who say that you can be totally and permanently disabled as a result of multiple concussions suffered while playing AFL football.

“But if Shaun was insured with AMP he would not have been paid a cent.”

It comes after the late Graham ‘Polly’ Farmer and Danny Frawley were both revealed to have CTE symptoms stemming from their playing careers.






Source link

$14M Oilers foundation 50/50 draw delayed again


The saga of a record-breaking Oilers 50/50 raffle plagued by technical issues and delays will continue following another setback.

The winning ticket from the Friday, Aug. 7 online 50/50 raffle was set to be drawn at 4 p.m. MT Wednesday at the Oilers Entertainment Group headquarters in Edmonton.

More than an hour passed before the announcement came, just not the one most expected: the draw would be postponed yet again.

Delays in processing refunds prompted the postponement, the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation said in a Wednesday statement. 

“Our technology provider Ascend has assured us this work will be done in short order and we will be in a position to draw the winning ticket very soon,” the statement said.

“We again apologize for the inconvenience this delay has caused.”

An update on the timeline for the draw is expected on Thursday morning.

The 50/50 was scheduled for the Aug. 7 game between the Oilers and the Chicago Blackhawks. The Oilers lost and were eliminated from the series.

Online sales quickly grew to $15.2 million — a world record for sports 50/50 draws — but the servers were overwhelmed by purchase requests.

Buyers were met with slow loading times, geo-location issues and error messages. Many who tried to repurchase tickets reported being charged multiple times for the subsequent attempts.

Last week, the foundation said the final pot for the record-setting raffle would be $14.3 million. The winner will get half of that amount.

The organization refunded about $900,000 to make up for technical glitches during the sales.





Source link

Public facilities, Crown reserves to benefit from $14m funding program | Goulburn Post



news, local-news,

Crown land managers and community groups that use Crown land could share in $14 million. Goulburn MP Wendy Tuckerman said applications were welcome from across the electorate (which includes the Southern Highlands). She said grants were available to upgrade and maintain community facilities and reserves across NSW. under the NSW Government’s Crown Reserves Improvement Fund. She send applications would be accepted until July 10. READ MORE: “This year the NSW Government will invest $14 million across the state to benefit community, recreational and tourism facilities on Crown land reserves,” she said. “Grant applications are open to Crown land managers and I want the Goulburn electorate to get their fair slice of this fund – I strongly encourage eligible local organisations to apply now. “The fund will support improvements to community, recreational and tourism facilities on Crown reserves while also supporting local businesses and economies. “It also funds bushfire management and weed and pest control to keep reserves safe and functional and to protect our environment and native plants and animals.” Water, Property and Housing minister Melinda Pavey said quality public reserves were vital to the health and well-being of local communities. “Residents need quality natural spaces to relax and rejuvenate and this fund enhances local reserves that provide green open recreational space and protect our environmental diversity,” Mrs Pavey said. “The fund also upgrades facilities on Crown land used by organisations at the heart of our communities, like surf life saving clubs, scouts and girl guide groups, public halls, the RSPCA and PCYC, NSW Rural Fire Service and NSW State Emergency Service.” Planning and Public Spaces minister Rob Stokes said the grant program would be welcome news to communities which would benefit from improved access to great quality public spaces. “This year’s funding will prioritise restoring and strengthening the resilience of public facilities and crown reserves that have suffered through bushfires, drought and restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic,” Mr Stokes said. “We also want to make it easier for the community to walk and cycle with new tracks and trails across and between reserves and open spaces.” For further information on the Crown Reserves Improvement fund and to apply, visit https://reservemanager.crownland.nsw.gov.au/funding/crif

https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/BsiwkMTjUiUfGgmGHtfdCy/a773fc59-275b-4b61-9ec9-cf5eabc99c57.jpg/r9_208_3991_2458_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg





Source link