Renegades sign 15-year old Afghan spinner Noor Ahmad


The Melbourne Renegades are preparing to unleash 15-year-old Afghan spinner Ahmad Noor on the Big Bash after a 12-month scouting mission paid off.

Noor, who was born in 2005 in Kabul, Afghanistan, has signed on for the full season and is likely to play as many games as the new BBL fixture allows before Christmas when South African Imran Tahir will also join the squad.

The left-arm “mystery spinner” has played just one first-class match and 15 T20s in his native Afghanistan as well as representing his country as a 14-year-old in last year’s Under 19 World Cup.

Noor, a wrist-spinner, has been on the radar of the Renegades for more than a year, and he will arrive in time to take his place in the season opener, which is set to be delayed at least a week from the original start date of December 3.

“Noor is someone we have kept tabs on for over a year,” Renegades coach Michael Klinger said.

“He’s someone who not many people have seen, which I think is a huge advantage to us, and he’s a player coming out on a mission to really put his name up in front of the world.

“He spins the ball both ways … we are really excited to have him.”

Noor will follow in the footsteps of fellow Afghan spin wizard Rashid Khan, the number one ranked T20 bowler in the world.

His countryman Mohammad Nabi, who will again play with the Renegades this season, said the teenager was “exciting”.

“The Renegades fans and followers of the Big Bash may not know much about Noor at this stage, but I can tell you, he is a very exciting talent who I feel has a big future in the game,” Nabi said.

Social media went in to meltdown last year when Noor was involved in a mankad incident at the Under 19 World Cup against Pakistan when he ran out opener Mohammad Huraira.

After the match, Noor’s Afghanistan captain Farhan Zakhil conceded it was not “in the spirit of the game”.

Tahir, who took 236 wickets in 145 ODI and T20 games for South Africa, will be available for the Renegades from Boxing Day.

The spinning pair will fill two import slots for the Melbourne team, with a decision still to come on a third overseas player to be paid for by Cricket Australia as a marquee signing.

Tahir is playing with the Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League and was the competition’s leading wicket taker last year.

“I’ve watched the Big Bash from afar have admired how competitive it is,” Tahir said.

“I’m looking forward to joining my new Renegades teammates and working hard with them to produce a successful season.”



Source link

Big Bash: Renegades sign 15-year old Afghan spinner Noor Ahmad


The Melbourne Renegades are preparing to unleash 15-year-old Afghan spinner Ahmad Noor on the Big Bash after a 12-month scouting mission paid off.

Noor, who was born in 2005 in Kabul, Afghanistan, has signed on for the full season and is likely to play as many games as the new BBL fixture allows before Christmas when South African Imran Tahir will also join the squad.

The left-arm “mystery spinner” has played just one first-class match and 15 T20s in his native Afghanistan as well as representing his country as a 14-year-old in last year’s Under 19 World Cup.

Noor, a wrist-spinner, has been on the radar of the Renegades for more than a year, and he will arrive in time to take his place in the season opener, which is set to be delayed at least a week from the original start date of December 3.

“Noor is someone we have kept tabs on for over a year,” Renegades coach Michael Klinger said.

“He’s someone who not many people have seen, which I think is a huge advantage to us, and he’s a player coming out on a mission to really put his name up in front of the world.

“He spins the ball both ways … we are really excited to have him.”

Noor will follow in the footsteps of fellow Afghan spin wizard Rashid Khan, the number one ranked T20 bowler in the world.

His countryman Mohammad Nabi, who will again play with the Renegades this season, said the teenager was “exciting”.

“The Renegades fans and followers of the Big Bash may not know much about Noor at this stage, but I can tell you, he is a very exciting talent who I feel has a big future in the game,” Nabi said.

Social media went in to meltdown last year when Noor was involved in a mankad incident at the Under 19 World Cup against Pakistan when he ran out opener Mohammad Huraira.

After the match, Noor’s Afghanistan captain Farhan Zakhil conceded it was not “in the spirit of the game”.

Tahir, who took 236 wickets in 145 ODI and T20 games for South Africa, will be available for the Renegades from Boxing Day.

The spinning pair will fill two import slots for the Melbourne team, with a decision still to come on a third overseas player to be paid for by Cricket Australia as a marquee signing.

Tahir is playing with the Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League and was the competition’s leading wicket taker last year.

“I’ve watched the Big Bash from afar have admired how competitive it is,” Tahir said.

“I’m looking forward to joining my new Renegades teammates and working hard with them to produce a successful season.”

Originally published as 15-year-old ‘mystery spinner’ coming to BBL



Source link

Premier labels 15-year delay for South Road tunnel outlined in leaked plans as ‘fake news’


Labor says it has been given leaked documents which show the design to turn Adelaide’s South Road into a non-stop motorway and also reveal the project’s end date will be delayed by more than a decade.

Opposition transport spokesman Tom Koutsantonis said the document prepared by the Department for Infrastructure and Transport also identified a tunnel as the preferred option for the section of the road from Tonsley to near Anzac Highway.

It would take four and a half years to complete, and the second stage — between Anzac Highway and the River Torrens — would not begin until after that work was finished.

“What we know now is the Government was planning to announce in the budget a tunnel from the Gallipoli Underpass towards Tonsley,” Mr Koutsantonis said.

The incomplete part of the project is shown in green.(Department for Infrastructure and Transport)

“It also shows South Road now won’t be completed until 2035.

In 2013, then prime minister Tony Abbott pledged to upgrade South Road within a decade.

The State Government wants to turn the route into a 78-kilometre non-stop motorway from Old Noarlunga to Gawler.

Mr Koutsantonis said the “extraordinary leak” showed an open motorway would be the cheapest option, have the highest cost-benefit ratio and would be the cheapest to maintain.

Heritage and acquisition difficulties

The last part of the project, through inner-western suburbs such as Edwardstown and Mile End, is among the trickiest because of the heritage and commercial buildings that straddle the road, including the Thebarton Theatre.

The report said it would be $800 million cheaper to not build exits at Sir Donald Bradman Drive for airport access, a move which would also save up to 100 properties from acquisition.

The Thebarton Theatre
The Thebarton Theatre in Tom Koutsantonis’s West Torrens electorate.(ABC Open: Mickw78)

A further $300 million could be saved by building the motorway over the River Torrens instead of a tunnel under it.

If the State Government proceeds with this plan, the project is expected to cost $8.9 billion.

Only $5.5 billion has been budgeted for it at this stage.

The RAA first suggested tunnels for the project in 2009 under the former Labor government, but enquiries into the possibility only started under the Liberals in 2018.

‘Fake news’, says Premier

Premier Steven Marshall said any suggestion Adelaide’s north-south road corridor project would take until 2035 to complete was “fake news”.

Mr Marshall said the leaked papers looked to him like an old document.

A graphic showing cars in a tunnel.
A proposal for a South Road tunnel released by the RAA in 2009.(Supplied: RAA)

He said he would reveal more details about the project and its expected duration in coming weeks, but he insisted a 2035 completion date was wrong.

“That’s definitely not correct; that is absolute fake news,” he said.

“As the Treasurer said two or three weeks ago that we would be completing this project in 10 years — it’s a very important project.

“There are real complexities to this project. Part of it is making sure we get the balance right in terms of the cost, in terms of the timeframe, also in terms of the inconvenience of the build and also the property acquisition.”

Treasurer Rob Lucas is due to hand down the State Budget on November 10.



Source link