Andy Capp has been a favourite part of the Daily Mirror since 1957. Enjoy the adventures of Andy Capp and wife Flo every day.
See previous Andy Capp’s or visit his Facebook page.
Andy Capp has been a favourite part of the Daily Mirror since 1957. Enjoy the adventures of Andy Capp and wife Flo every day.
The Department of Health and Human Services says more than 17,000 test results have been received in the past day. Three cases are still classed as active in the state.
There were 1707 coronavirus deaths reported in one day in the US. At this rate, coronavirus is killing at least one American every minute of the day.
At least 1707 new COVID-19 deaths were reported Tuesday, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. That’s the highest daily death toll since May 14.
And it’s only going to get worse, said Dr. Jonathan Reiner, a professor at George Washington University School of Medicine.
“The horrible death count that we saw yesterday in the United States … reflects the number of people who were being infected three weeks ago – two to three weeks ago, because that’s the lag,” Reiner said.
“On average, two to three weeks ago, we were seeing 70,000 to 80,000 (new) cases per day. Yesterday, there were about 155,000 (new) cases. So if you’re alarmed at the 1700 deaths today, two to three weeks from now, we’re going to see 3000 deaths a day.”
As of Wednesday, 47 states had at least 10 per cent more new daily cases than this time last week, according to Johns Hopkins data.
Despite her 10 surviving children being septuagenarians, Dorothy Harris, of Tumby Bay, South Australia, is not particularly worried about the coronavirus.
Still living in her own home, the 107-year-old has seen enough in the course of her life to go about her business without too much concern.
“I think about it, but what can I do about it?” Mrs Harris said.
Daughter Raylene Stutley, 77, said the family was not worried because there were not any cases in South Australia and none in Tumby Bay.
After a break in autumn, Mrs Harris, who was born in 1913, has now resumed attending church and her seniors group every week, although these activities may not be quite as thrilling as the way she celebrated her 100th birthday.
Upon turning 100, Mrs Harris jumped on a plane and flew to the South Pole for the third time.
“The hostesses made her a cake and moved us to first class,” her eldest child, 86-year-old Leon, said.
But Mrs Harris fell in love with air travel long before that, and in incomparable company — her maiden flight was with none other than Charles Kingsford Smith.
Mrs Harris was 14 when the pioneering aviator landed in her birthplace, Cowell, on the Eyre Peninsula in 1927.
“I said to my mother, ‘I’d go fly with him,'” she said.
“So she said, ‘Well here’s the money,’ and she gave me five shillings.
“We went out over the hills, then out to the sea, then back to the aerodrome.”
At the time, Mrs Harris’s only mode of transport was a horse and buggy or the family pony, Trilby, who was used to drive sheep and gather water.
Despite having a driver’s licence, Mrs Harris has never owned a car and usually gets around on foot.
She still lives in her own home, prepares her own breakfast, gardens, knits and crochets.
Mrs Harris grew up in an era when everything was homemade, which was how her family survived during hard times.
“I learned to milk the cow just about before I could walk — not that early, but I wasn’t very old,” Mrs Harris said.
She married in 1933, but it was a tough life.
She often was out trapping rabbits to feed her children and making clothes by cutting down second-hand men’s trousers.
“My job was in the house looking after the family, cooking for them,” Mrs Harris said.
Over 20 years, Mrs Harris gave birth to Leon, Glen, Coral, Val, Robert, Raylene, Colin, twins Dorothy and Graham, Meredith and Geoffrey.
The family moved around Eyre Peninsula regularly before Mrs Harris left in 1962 with the younger children to give them a better chance of schooling and jobs in Adelaide.
Ten of her 11 children, who Mrs Harris raised almost single-handedly, are still alive.
Four of them live near their mum in Tumby Bay, and another is nearby in Port Lincoln.
Mrs Harris spent 70 years in the Red Cross and various other charities.
Mrs Stutley said her busy mum never seemed to have spare time on her hands.
“We used to tell people, ‘Don’t ring between 8:30 and 5pm’,” she said.
Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are not just rivals for GOAT status in men’s tennis.
They are close friends, too.
And so when Nadal won his 13th French Open crown and record-tying 20th Grand Slam title on Sunday over Novak Djokovic, Federer was at the head of the line to congratulate his friend and rival on tying him atop the all-time men’s list.
“I hope 20 is just another step on the continuing journey for both of us,” Federer said in part on social media. “Well done, Rafa. You deserve it.”
Told of Federer’s congratulatory comments, Nadal was equally generous.
“Thanks to Roger for the words, no?” Nadal said. “I think, as everybody know, we have a very, very good relationship. We respect each other a lot. At the same time in some way I think he’s happy when I’m winning and I’m happy when he’s doing the things well.
“In some ways for me means a lot the positive relationship that we have together because we have been going through a great rivalry for a very, very long time. Yeah, just can say thanks to him.”
After sitting out the second half of 2020 due to knee surgery, Federer, 39, is expected to return at the Australian Open in January where he will seek his 21st major title.
“We love Roger, but if he adds to the 20, that would be absolutely amazing,” John McEnroe said on NBC.
To put Nadal’s accomplishment in perspective, his 13 French Open titles are more than the TOTAL number of majors for several tennis greats:
Bjorn Borg – 11
Andre Agassi – 8
Jimmy Connors – 8
Ivan Lendl – 8
John McEnroe – 7
Mats Wilander – 7
Boris Becker – 6
Stefan Edberg – 6
Federer was among many tennis greats and celebrities to congratulate Nadal on his historic achievement. Rod Laver, the only man to win the calendar Grand Slam twice, chimed in with words of praise.
October 11, 2020
PARIS (Reuters) – Spaniard Rafael Nadal inflicted one of the most humiliating defeats on great rival Novak Djokovic in the French Open final on Sunday, thrashing the world number one 6-0 6-2 7-5 to lift a record-equalling 20th Grand Slam men’s singles title.
Tennis fans would have been salivating at the prospect of another epic clash in one of the sport’s greatest rivalries but it proved to be one of the most one-sided Grand Slam finals in the Open era under the closed roof of Court Philippe Chatrier.
The roof, which made its debut at this year’s rescheduled Grand Slam, was closed just before the start of play, sending fans and pundits on social media into a frenzy on which player would benefit from the indoor conditions.
Most thought it would favour the Serbian’s game against the 34-year-old Nadal, who was bidding for a 13th title on the red claycourts at Roland Garros.
But Nadal adapted brilliantly as he has done all fortnight to the new brand of balls and the much colder and wet conditions at this year’s event which started in late September rather than its usual May-June slot due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Of course, we were hoping for a great final and this is not going to go down as a great final. I am more surprised, I didn’t think Rafa was going to play this well,” Eurosport tennis expert and seven-times Grand Slam champion Mats Wilander said.
The stakes were high for both players in their ninth meeting in a Grand Slam final – they were tied 4-4 previously – with the added incentive of lifting another major trophy in the battle to be considered the men’s “Greatest of all time”.
Nadal has now tied Roger Federer’s haul of 20 majors with Djokovic, the last active player to beat the Spaniard at Roland Garros, three adrift.
“To win here means everything. I don’t think today about the 20th and equal Roger on this great number, today is just a Roland Garros victory and that means everything to me,” the world number two said.
“This love story I have with this city and this court is unforgettable.”
The 39-year-old Federer, who has been recovering from knee surgery this year, congratulated his friend.
“As my greatest rival over many years, I believe we have pushed each other to become better players,” Federer posted on Twitter, along with a photo of him with Nadal.
“Therefore it is a true honour for me to congratulate him on his 20th Grand Slam victory.”
Before the match Djokovic had said Roland Garros was Nadal’s home and the Spaniard did not once leave the door ajar for the Serbian to make a comeback into the match.
Djokovic, 33, who had won five Grand Slam finals in a row since losing to Stan Wawrinka at the 2016 U.S. Open, still leads Nadal 29-27 in career meetings but the scar of Sunday’s defeat will run deep.
The drop shots on the slow claycourts served Djokovic well in earlier rounds and he used plenty of them in his opening game on Sunday but Nadal ran most of them down, blunting the Serbian’s weapon and gameplan.
Djokovic struggled with his first serve and was unable to come up with a Plan B as Nadal continued to be the aggressor while making just two unforced errors in the opening set to hand his opponent a rare bagel in the opening set.
Nadal showed exemplary athleticism and court coverage to get his racket to Djokovic’s crunching groundstrokes as the bewildered Serbian watched on, fast running out of ideas on how to win important points.
In the second set there was no letup in intensity from Nadal, who continued to hit deep returns to keep his opponent pinned to the back of the baseline.
Djokovic got on the board at the start of the second set after managing to save three breakpoints but Nadal maintained his iron grip by breaking the Serbian’s next two service games to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
In a high-quality third set, Djokovic broke Nadal’s serve for the first time for 3-3 but dropped serve on a double fault in the 11th game before the left-hander went on to bag his 100th victory at Roland Garros with an ace.
“Today you showed why you are the king of clay. Today was a tough match, I was outplayed by a better player today,” said Djokovic after losing his third final to Nadal at Roland Garros.
“He did surprise me with the way he was playing, the quality of tennis he was producing, the level. He’s phenomenal. He played a perfect match, especially in the first two sets.”
(Reporting by Sudipto Ganguly in Mumbai; Editing by Christian Radnedge and Ed Osmond)
Hawthorn veteran Shaun Burgoyne will have the chance to become the fifth player in AFL history to reach the 400-match milestone after signing a one-year contract extension for next season.
The new deal will see Burgoyne, 37, take on a part-time Indigenous advisory role with the Hawks in 2021.
He will transition into the off-field role full-time once his playing commitments are finished.
Burgoyne, a four-time premiership player, sits fifth on the all-time list for AFL/VFL matches played with 387 across 19 seasons for Port Adelaide and Hawthorn.
Only Dustin Fletcher (400), Kevin Bartlett (403), Michael Tuck (426) and record holder Brent Harvey (432) have played more matches.
Burgoyne has already surpassed Adam Goodes’s record for the most matches played by an Indigenous Australian player and could conceivably move into third place overall before hanging up his boots, if all goes to plan.
“Shaun continues to set a great example for his teammates through his work ethic and professionalism,” Hawthorn football manager Graham Wright said in a statement.
“To still be able to compete at the elite level at his age is a true testament to his determination and competitiveness.
“While Shaun will pull on the boots again next year, both he and the club are aware that his AFL career is certainly in its twilight.
“With that in mind, we have worked together on an agreement that allows Shaun to continue playing the game he loves and contribute to the side, while also preparing him for a smooth transition into life after football.”
Burgoyne’s off-field role will see him assist Hawthorn in the development and implementation of its Indigenous programs.
The club said the programs would “focus on employment, education and health outcomes as the key pillars to engaging and empowering Indigenous communities”.
This article originally appeared at Pravoslavie.ru
On April 30, 2015, the film, Curing Fear, will be released, based on the history of life of the outstanding surgeon, scientist, and Holy Hierarch Luke, Archbishop of Simferopol and the Crimea, reports the Rossiyskaya Gazeta Russian newspaper.
He was born Valentin Felixovich Voyno-Yasenetsky (1877-1961, his feast-day is June 11). He was a brilliant surgeon-practitioner and scientist, and his notable written work, Purulent Surgery Essays, has been a manual and reference book for several generations of medics. A profoundly pious person all his life, the future saint was widowed in 1919 and became a monk in 1923 when the anti-religious and anti-Church campaign was rising in Russia. In monasticism he received the name Luke in honor of the Holy Apostle and Evangelist Luke. In the same year he was secretly consecrated a bishop.
Later he was destined to undergo arrests, prison, exiles, and many years of ministry for the Lord and to people. In 1937, following another arrest and 13 whole days of interrogations without sleep he went on a hunger strike for 18 days and did not sign any testimony against other people who were under investigation. He performed surgeries during his exile in Yeniseysk, and received patients in Arkhangelsk. He kept searching for new methods of medical treatment and collecting materials for their support. Everywhere he remained a true physician, monk, and priest.
According to the website Pravmir.ru, the pre-premiere screening and discussion of the film, Curing Fear, has taken place at the Oktyabr cinema. The film’s general producer Oleg Sytnik, actress Yekaterina Guseva (who played the female lead), actor Vitaly Bezrukov (who played the role of Holy Archbishop Luke in his mature age) as well as Archimandrite Tikhon (Shevkunov), Abbot of the Moscow Sretensky Monastery, took part in it.
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has sent a message of greetings to the film makers:
“With great interest I have watched the film, Curing Fear, devoted to the life and ministry of St. Luke (Voyno-Yasenetsky), Archbishop of Simferopol and the Crimea. From the bottom of my heart I express gratitude to the director, producer, and the film’s creative team for this remarkable work of art”.
“It is extremely hard to portray sainthood by means of film-making. Not only does it require extraordinary professionalism and exclusive creative valor from the director and actors, but also the ability to touch intellectually and wholeheartedly this marvelous spiritual phenomenon. Reflecting upon sanctity, it is very important not to confuse it with the phenomenon of a superman.”
“A saint, a holy man is neither a superman nor a hero in the usual sense of these words. A saint is identified not in loud words and grandiose deeds, but rather in everyday deeds – in execution of one’s professional duty, in one’s utmost personal honesty and decency, in the ability to endure all trials courageously and firmly, the ability to remain calm and with presence of mind in the face of terrible dangers, setting all hopes upon the good will and the all-wise providence of God. It is gratifying to state that the director together with the creative team have succeeded in developing the theme of genuine Christian holiness, without running to extremes, avoiding excessive sublimity and sentimentality.”
The movie was shot for five years in Russia, Belarus, and the Ukraine. Producer Oleg Sytnik has expressed his hope that the picture would be watched by millions of people in Russia and the CIS states.
Melbourne president Glen Bartlett believes once expansion is back on the agenda, handing out a 19th license to Tasmania would be a mistake unless a 20th team is also created.
Bartlett believes that once we get through the COVID-19 mess, league expansion should be back on the table.
However, he feels an uneven number of teams would be an errant move.
“Just before COVID-19 broke we were having a conversation with the AFL and the club presidents about a potential 19th license involving Tasmania,” the Melbourne president told SEN’s Whateley.
“I think the bigger issue is the AFL and the clubs, once we get through this period, looking at what’s the optimum number of clubs for 2030-2040.
“Is it 20 clubs; is it 22 clubs. I think it needs to be, if you think about media rights and adding in the fixture, adding in an extra license doesn’t make a lot of sense.
“I think it needs to be a bit like the Krakouer brothers, they come in pairs. Is 22 teams the optimum number or is it 18? If it’s 22 by 2040, you map out a program to dominate the whole of Australia and you might end up with a Tasmanian club, a Northern Territory club, perhaps another one out of WA or SA.”
President Donald Trump on Friday announced that he would postpone his rally scheduled for June 19, which turned out to be Juneteenth, a date important to the black community for the abolition of slavery,
“We had previously scheduled our MAGA Rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, for June 19th – a big deal,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “Unfortunately, however, this would fall on the Juneteenth Holiday.”
The president acknowledged that his black supporters spoke to him about conflicts with the date after corporate media and Democrats spoke out about the date of the rally.
“Many of my African American friends and supporters have reached out to suggest that we consider changing the date out of respect for this Holiday, and in observance of this important occasion and all that it represents,” Trump wrote.
The president said that he would move the rally to June 20th in respect of the date.
“I have therefore decided to move our rally to Saturday, June 20th, in order to honor their requests,” he wrote.
Earlier Friday, President Trump defended the idea of holding a rally on Juneteenth in an interview with Fox News host Harris Faulkner.
“That the fact that I’m having a rally on that day, you can really think about that very positively as a celebration,” he said. “There’s a rally to me is a celebration. It’s going to be really a celebration, and it’s an interesting date. It wasn’t done for that reason, but it’s an interesting day.”
But after the president changed his mind on Friday night, he appeared excited about the ultimate rally on June 20th, citing his supporters’ energy.
“We have already had ticket requests in excess of 200,000 people. I look forward to seeing everyone in Oklahoma!” he said.