Health Minister Greg Hunt has given some more detail on where the extra $563 million in extra aged care funding will go.
Mr Hunt said the funding could be broken down into four key areas.
The first was the continuation of the COVID supplement to provide for an additional six months to the end of February 2021, he said.
“This is support for facilities and it comes as a cost of $245 million. It assists them as we announced in May on May 1, with the ability to develop their workforce, to provide for PPE needs and for other elements relating to the fight against COVID-19,” Mr Hunt said.
The second was to extend the support for aged care workers in COVID-19 areas to operate on a single workforce basis.
Cleaners at Estia Aged Care facility in Ardeer, Melbourne, where a large number of residents test positive for Covid-19.
“That will be extended as an entitlement from previously eight weeks per facility to 12. The program itself will now be extended as an available option till June 30, 2021, at an investment of $92.4 million.
Thirdly, $71.4m would go towards expanding the short-term home support for older Australians who are on leave from residential aged care, to help families to care for older residents who will take time away from an aged care facility. The program will be extended until June 2021 at a cost of $71.4 million.
Fourthly, the extension of the COVID-19 aged care workforce retention payment totaling $154.5 million.