Adelaide man charged with the murder of 63-year-old neighbour


A man has been charged with murder over the death of his 63-year-old neighbour in Adelaide’s inner-north on Saturday night.

The victim was fatally assaulted at the Mellor Court Housing Trust units on James Street, Gilberton — the same complex where a woman was killed in 2017.

Just before 9:30pm, police and paramedics were called to the unit block after reports a resident had been seriously injured.

Despite efforts to revive him, the older man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Eastern Adelaide detectives and forensic examiners visited the site as part of the investigation.

In the early hours of Sunday morning, police arrested a 46-year-old man at Underdale in relation to the death.

On Sunday afternoon, police said the man, also a resident of the units, had been charged with murder.

Police assured the public the attack was not random.

Robin Sparrow, who has lived at Mellor Court for 18 years, said he was not surprised by the incident, saying the area was “very unsafe”.

A man was charged with murder in 2017 after he fatally stabbed his girlfriend in the thigh at one of the units in the complex.

The charge was later downgraded to manslaughter and he was in 2018 sentenced to just under eight-and-a-half years in jail.

Mellor Court is undergoing upgrades including rubbish removal and improved lighting.(ABC News: Shuba Krishnan)

Mellor Court was one of three Housing Trust blocks to share in a $10 million upgrade program announced by the State Government last year.

The work being undertaken includes general maintenance and rubbish removal, improved lighting and landscaping and removal of asbestos roofing.

The three blocks incorporate 198 units that were built in the 1950s and 1960s.



Source link

Adelaide man expected to be charged with the murder of his 63-year-old neighbour



A man is expected to be charged with the murder over the death of his 63-year-old neighbour in Adelaide’s inner-north last night, prompting calls for better screening of public housing tenants.

The victim was fatally assaulted at the Mellor Court Housing Trust units on James Street, Gilberton — the same complex where a woman was killed in 2017.

Just before 9:30pm, police and paramedics were called to the unit block after reports a resident had been seriously injured.

Despite efforts to revive him, the older man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Eastern Adelaide detectives and forensic examiners visited the site as part of the investigation.

In the early hours of Sunday morning, police arrested a 45-year-old man at Underdale in relation to the death.

Police said the man, also a resident of the units, was expected to be charged with murder.

They assured the public the attack was not random.

Robin Sparrow, who has lived at Mellor Court for 18 years, said he was not surprised by the incident, saying the area was “very unsafe”.

“It’s the Housing Trust not having any real procedure of vetting who comes in here,” he said.

“They obviously don’t do any background checks or anything.

“It’s got worse and worse.”

Mr Sparrow suggested someone should live onsite to better monitor residents’ safety.

“There’s been talk about improving things and getting rid of the bad tenants and all that, but it just goes on and on and on,” he said.

“[I’m] not very optimistic. I’ve already put in for a flat transfer.”



Source link