Golf: World No. 2 Jon Rahm is keeping up with the leaders but a double bogey meltdown on the 8th hole
New Delhi: India and China on Friday held the eighth round of corps commanders-level talks on the six-month military standoff in eastern Ladakh. The meeting started at 9.30 am at Chushul in eastern Ladakh and ended at around 7 pm. This was the first meeting under the new commander of the Leh-based 14 Corps, Lt. Gen. P.G.K. Menon. The earlier meetings were headed on the Indian side by Lt. Gen. Harinder Singh, who is now the commandant of the Indian Military Academy.
There was no official word yet on the outcome, but India has maintained that China must disengage completely from all flashpoints in eastern Ladakh. India will only accept complete disengagement by the Chinese PLA and restoration of the status quo of April 2020 at the LAC. India had earlier rejected a Chinese proposal to move back tanks and artillery from the forward positions. India’s position is that it was China which had first moved its troops at the LAC, and China will have to be first to withdraw from these positions. India has told China it will talk about all the flashpoints and not just about the south bank of Pangong Tso, where the Indian Army occupied the strategic heights in August, in a surprise move.
Both countries are gearing up to keep their troops at forward positions in Ladakh in the harsh winter ahead, when temperatures dip to minus 30 degrees Celsius.
The Indian Army has received the initial consignment of extreme cold weather clothing from the United States for its troops. Defence minister Rajnath Singh said on Thursday that “no matter what the sacrifice” India was “determined to protect its sovereignty and territorial integrity in the face of unilateralism and aggression”.
“India is a peace-loving country. We believe that differences should not become disputes. We attach importance to the peaceful resolution of differences through dialogue. However, India is determined to protect its sovereignty and territorial integrity in the face of unilateralism and aggression, no matter what the sacrifice,” Mr Singh had said.
During the seventh round of corps commanders’ talks, India and China had on October 12 agreed not to turn differences into disputes and jointly safeguard peace and tranquility in the border areas. Both sides agreed to maintain dialogue and communication through military and diplomatic channels and arrive at a mutually acceptable solution for the disengagement as soon as possible.
While India is trying to peacefully resolve the six-month military standoff with China through negotiations, it is also forming strategic alliances with other nations. This was reflected by India’s invitation to Australia to participate in the Malabar naval exercises this year and signing the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geo-spatial Cooperation (Beca) with the United States last week. This was also a clear signal to China that India will not bow to any pressure, even as it wants peace in the region.
Highlights of this day in history: Deadly fires scorch Chicago and other parts of Upper Midwest; Communist Poland bans labor groups; Alexander Solzhenitsyn wins Nobel Prize for Literature; Don Larsen pitches ‘perfect’ World Series game. (Oct. 8)
September 15, 2020
Rookie Jorge Ona hit a tiebreaking double to left in the seventh, and the host Padres added four more runs in the inning after a pair of fielding miscues by Dodgers first baseman Max Muncy to score a 7-2 victory on Monday night.
The Padres won their eighth consecutive game and cut their deficit to the first-place Dodgers in the National League West to 1 1/2 games.
The big inning broke up a pitching duel between the Padres’ Dinelson Lamet and the Dodgers’ Clayton Kershaw.
Lamet (3-1) surrendered one run on three hits and two walks with 11 strikeouts over seven innings. He retired the last 12 Dodgers he faced and became the first pitcher to fan 10 Los Angeles hitters in a game this year. Kershaw (5-2) was charged with three runs on five hits with no walks and nine strikeouts in 6 1/3 innings.
Brewers 2, Cardinals 1 (Game 1, 8 innings)
Keston Hiura delivered a sacrifice fly to cap a two-run eighth inning, and host Milwaukee opened a doubleheader with a victory over St. Louis.
After Ryan Braun tied the score with a run-scoring double off the center field wall in the bottom, Hiura came through with the sacrifice fly to left to give the Brewers a walk-off victory.
The Cardinals broke a scoreless tie in the top of the eighth when Tommy Edman delivered a two-out single to center field to score Tyler O’Neill, a pinch runner for Yadier Molina, who was placed on second base to start the extra inning. Milwaukee answered in the bottom of the frame to snap a 21-inning scoring drought and avoid a third consecutive defeat.
Cardinals 3, Brewers (Game 2, 9 innings)
Paul DeJong delivered an RBI single in the ninth inning for his third hit of the game, and St. Louis earned a split of a doubleheader at Milwaukee in the nightcap.
The Cardinals stranded 14 runners in the second game, but DeJong drove in a run when it mattered with his single to left.
The Brewers, two games behind the second-place Cardinals in the NL Central, stranded the bases loaded in the bottom of the eighth and left a man on third in the ninth.
Orioles 14, Braves 1
Baltimore cracked three home runs during a nine-run third inning and set a season high for runs in a game to cruise past visiting Atlanta.
Baltimore sent 12 batters to the plate in the third. The Orioles got a three-run homer from DJ Stewart — his seventh home run this season, all of them this month — and a solo shot from Ryan Mountcastle in back-to-back fashion against Atlanta starter Touki Toussaint, then added a three-run homer from Jose Iglesias.
Baltimore added a solo homer in the seventh inning from Pat Valaika, whose fly ball bounced off the glove of right fielder Nick Markakis and caromed over the fence. The 14 runs came on the heels of a four-game series against the Yankees that saw the Orioles score only three times.
Reds 3, Pirates 1 (Game 1)
Tyler Stephenson’s two-run homer in the seventh inning gave Cincinnati a walk-off victory over visiting Pittsburgh in the first game of a doubleheader.
Joey Votto hit a solo homer for Cincinnati, which won consecutive games for the first time in nearly two weeks. Colin Moran hit a home run for the Pirates, who have lost five consecutive games.
Cincinnati starter Trevor Bauer was dominant for most of the game. In 6 1/3 innings, he struck out 12 and walked two, giving up one run and four hits. Raisel Iglesias (3-3) got the final two outs of the seventh to earn the victory.
Reds 9, Pirates 4 (Game 2)
Mike Moustakas, Brian Goodwin and Joey Votto homered to lift Cincinnati past visiting Pittsburgh for a sweep of the teams’ doubleheader.
The Reds, who have won three straight, scored their nine runs on just five hits but were helped by nine walks by Pittsburgh pitching.
Ke’Bryan Hayes hit a two-run homer, Josh Bell a solo homer and Colin Moran drove in a run with a double for the Pirates, who lost their sixth in a row.
Marlins 6, Phillies 2
Pablo Lopez snapped his three-game losing streak, leading host Miami to a win over Philadelphia.
Miguel Rojas, now batting .370, led Miami’s offense, going 2-for-3 with a homer and two runs. Right fielder Matt Joyce led the defense with a pair of over-the-shoulder catches on the warning track.
Lopez (4-4) allowed three hits, no walks and one run in seven innings, striking out six and earning his first win since Aug. 24. Vince Velasquez (0-1) gave up seven hits and four runs.
Mariners 6, Athletics 5 (Game 1)
Kyle Lewis hit a two-run homer and walked with two outs and the bases loaded in the bottom of the sixth to break a tie as Seattle rallied from a five-run deficit to defeat visiting Oakland in the opener of a doubleheader.
Mariners ace Marco Gonzales (6-2) allowed a season-high five runs but became the first left-handed starter to defeat the American League West-leading Athletics in 10 attempts this season. Gonzales, who won his fourth straight start, allowed the five runs on six hits in six innings, with one walk and seven strikeouts.
Luis Torrens and Jose Marmolejos added solo homers for the Mariners while Tim Lopes had three doubles.
Athletics 9, Mariners 0 (Game 2)
Mike Minor pitched a two-hitter to earn his first victory of the season as Oakland defeated host Seattle to split a makeup doubleheader.
Minor (1-5) entered the game with a 6.35 overall ERA on the season. The left-hander walked two and struck out eight in the seven-inning game. Mark Canha and Jake Lamb both homered for the first-place Athletics.
The Mariners were shut out for the second time this season and saw their three-game winning streak snapped.
White Sox 3, Twins 1
Pinch hitter Adam Engel grounded a go-ahead single to center field in the eighth inning, and Tim Anderson went 3-for-5 with an RBI as host Chicago defeated Minnesota to extend its lead atop the American League Central.
Chicago moved two games ahead of second-place Minnesota behind a two-run eighth that began with two consecutive walks from Twins left-hander Taylor Rogers (1-4). After he showed bunt on the previous pitch, Engel pulled back his bat and delivered a hit past a charging infield.
Minnesota stranded 15 runners, and Chicago left 12 on base. White Sox pitching issued 10 walks. Max Kepler had two hits for the Twins while Jose Abreu and Eloy Jimenez both had a pair of hits for the White Sox.
-Field Level Media
It may have been a historic race as the first ever Styrian Grand Prix but the result was once again according to plan for Mercedes with Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas finishing 1-2.
Hamilton was dominant throughout, winning by 13 seconds over Bottas, with Red Bull’s Max Verstappen righting his early retirement last week with his teammate Alexander Albon in fourth.
But the real story was once again in the mid-field with a crazy finish to the race.
Watch the F1 Pirelli Styrian Grand Prix 2020 LIVE on KAYO. Every practice, qualifying session and race LIVE. New to Kayo? Get your free trial now & start streaming instantly >
In the penultimate lap, Aussie Daniel Ricciardo was holding sixth ahead of Racing Point’s Lance Stroll and McLaren’s Lando Norris with Racing Point’s Sergio Perez ahead.
But wing damage saw Perez fall back to the field on the final lap as Norris and Stroll finally made their move on Ricciardo.
Stroll pushed Ricciardo off the track to overtake which went to the stewards room but ultimately nothing no further action was taken.
Stewards confirm no further action for Stroll on his move on Ricciardo at Turn 3
— Luke Smith (@LukeSmithF1) July 12, 2020
While the Aussie seemed to be struggling with speed after teammate Esteban Ocon retired with overheating issues, similar to what Ricciardo had last week, it came right down to the wire.
Ricciardo wasn’t going to back down but it was Norris who cut through the field, moving up to fifth in an incredible finish.
Perez and Stroll were next followed by Ricciardo in eighth.
The final distance between sixth and eight was 0.204 seconds to which Sky Sports commentator David Croft said was “unbelievable”.
He also pointed out that Perez was lucky with a short distance to the line as he could have dropped all the way to eighth after starting the lap in fifth.
Perez said post-race that he was “lucky to only lose out in only one position”.
Raced at the Red Bull Ring, the same track as last week’s Austrian Grand Prix, the Styrian Grand Prix is named that way because every F1 race needs to have a unique name.
But after a rain soaked qualifying, it was set to be a wild race with plenty of thrills and spills.
Unfortunately for Ferrari, the thrills and spills cost them on the opening lap.
In traffic, Charles Leclerc bounced off a curb and took out his teammate Sebastian Vettel’s rear wing.
Vettel was quick to retire and Leclerc followed soon after.
Vettel said he didn’t think there was any space and said it was a “shame”.
“I was fighting two other cars,” Vettel said.
“I was very surprised because I had the inside and wasn’t expecting Charles to try something so I don’t think there was any space. It’s a big pity and something we should avoid but not much I could have done differently.”
Leclerc also took full responsibility and apologised to his teammate and the team.
“I apologised, obviously, excuses are not enough in times like this, I’m disappointed in myself, I’ve don’t a very bad job today, I’ve let the team down,” he said.
“I can only be sorry even though I know it’s not enough and I hope I’ll learn from this and come back stronger for the next races.”
Hamilton also waited until the end of the national anthem to make a stand as well.
He said for the podium he wouldn’t kneel but raised his fist in an allusion to Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Olympics.
1: Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
2: Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes
3: Max Verstappen, Red Bull
4: Alexander Albon, Red Bull
5: Lando Norris, McLaren
6: Sergio Perez, Racing Point
7: Lance Stroll, Racing Point
8: Daniel Ricciardo, Renault
9: Carlos Sainz, McLaren
10: Daniil Kvyat, AlphaTauri
The Renault “reliability gremlins” have struck again with Esteban Ocon forced to retire with smoke billowing out of his car.
It’s only lap 27 so hopefully they don’t attack Ricciardo as well.
Ricciardo is in sixth, two seconds behind Carlos Sainz.
Charles Leclerc has apologised for taking out his teammate Sebastian Vettel on the first lap.
He admitted he was too optimistic in his move and apologised to his teammate and the team.
“I apologised, obviously, excuses are not enough in times like this, I’m disappointed in myself, I’ve don’t a very bad job today, I’ve let the team down,” he said. “I can only be sorry even though I know it’s not enough and I hope I’ll learn from this and come back stronger for the next races.”
Daniel Ricciardo has finally overtaken Esteban Ocon as his Renault teammate didn’t want to give an inch.
But in what the commentators said was three laps too late, the Aussie has moved into sixth on the 20th lap and has his eyes on McLaren’s Carlos Sainz in fifth.
The slow overtake though may have played into Racing Points’ hands with Lance Stroll and Sergio Perez right behind Ocon and Ricciardo.
The first lap has seen some excitement already with Sebastian Vettel already out of the Styrian Grand Prix.
The four-time world champion tried to go down the inside of his teammate Charles Leclerc with his younger teammate dislodging the rear wing.
It would take too long to fix so Vettel was garaged.
But it wasn’t long before he was joined by Leclerc as Ferrari coul
Leclerc has copped the blame by the Sky Sports commentators, who called it clumsy.
“Leclerc got on the kerb and that’s what launched the car into Vettel’s rear wing,” says David Croft.
“Why would he lunge up the inside of his team-mate like that?” asks Martin Brundle of Leclerc.
Vettel said he didn’t think there was any space and said it was a “shame”.
“I was fighting two other cars,” Vettel said. “I was very surprised because I had the inside and wasn’t expecting Charles to try something so I don’t think there was any space. It’s a big pity and something we should avoid but not much I could have done differently.”
Sky Sports commentator Simon Lazenby questioned whether the drivers should have taken a united front this week.
“Lewis Hamilton leading the conversation on this and taking a knee again,” Lazenby said on Sky Sports. “He said he had no problem with any of the drivers and team members who decided against taking a knee but he did stress he doesn’t want to see this campaign for change die a silent death and the sport can do more.
“It’s a shame that they’ve gone off those pictures after people questioned the apparent lack of unity last week with some kneeling and some not, you’ve got to ask the question would it have been in the best interests in the image of this sport to get it together this week. That’s not a judgement, it’s for you to decide at home.
“The images still don’t seem to fit the message in this the most global of sports. If NASCAR, football and cricket can get it right, why can’t Formula One. That’s the question. From where I’m standing here, we have seen some taking an knee and some not, it’s just a mixed message.”
Formula One drivers and teams have been warned they risk prison sentences and fines if they ignore strict coronavirus lockdown measures to be imposed at next weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix.
It leaves Lewis Hamilton, Lando Norris and George Williams looking down quarantine and only able to leave their hotels and go to the Hungaroring.
An announcement by the Hungarian Government, with special focus on people from Britain and non-EU countries, was sent to the teams at the Red Bull Ring on Saturday, according to Autosport.
The report said that those who break the lockdown measures would face imprisonment or a 15,000 Euros fine ($A25,000).
Hamilton said he would sleep at the track in a motorhome to avoid any unnecessary risks.
“I was only made aware of it before qualifying,” he said.
“It doesn’t affect me because I stay at the track, but there will be protocols in place for the team.
“They have been fantastic in terms of how they have managed their bubble during this time.
“I don’t know how their set-up will be and it is unfortunate that unlike us, they cannot stay at the track.
“It is a challenge but these are challenging times and why we are taking it very seriously.”
Seven Formula One teams are based in Britain and the restrictions are expected to apply to most of the 2,000 people expected to be present at the Hungarian race.
An official communication, sent to the teams, was quoted saying: “Attendees of UK or other non-EU or EEA nationality should not leave the venue, or their accommodation, for any reason other than for travel between the two locations and for their pre-arranged arrival and departure to and from Hungary.”
The document, a copy of which has been seen by Autosport, added that “attendees of UK or other non-EU or EEA nationality may not use public transport and taxis.
“Any meals should be taken at either the venue or the accommodation and any free time should be spent within the boundaries of the accommodation.
“Failure to adhere to these additional restrictions will be punishable by the Hungarian authorities and may result in imprisonment and/or fines of up to approximately 15,000 Euros.”
It was made clear also that it was recommended that all F1 personnel who travel to Budapest adhere to the Hungarian restrictions.
The warning comes as F1’s governing body the FIA are investigating Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc and Valtteri Bottas of Mercedes for leaving the Formula One ‘bubble’ at Spielberg this week to return home to Monaco.
– with AFP