Australia cancels citizenship of convicted terrorist leader Abdul Nacer Benbrika


Australia has cancelled the citizenship of convicted terror group leader Abdul Nacer Benbrika, who remains behind bars.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton said Benbrika had been notified of the decision and would remain in prison while a court considered whether to keep him jailed.

“He spoke about thousands of Australians being killed,” Mr Dutton told reporters in Brisbane on Wednesday.

“It doesn’t matter who it is, if it’s a person that’s posing a significant terror risk to our country, then we will do whatever is possible within Australian law to protect Australians.”

Minister for Home Affairs Peter Dutton

AAP

Australia’s first convicted terrorist leader was jailed for a maximum of 15 years in 2009.

The self-proclaimed Islamic cleric has been behind bars since his 2005 arrest over plots to attack Melbourne landmarks, including one to blow up the MCG on AFL Grand Final day that year.

He also said his group of followers needed to kill at least 1,000 non-believers to make the Australian government withdraw troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Commonwealth wants a continuing detention order requiring Benbrika to remain in prison until November 2023, with the matter still before a court.

Mr Dutton said he was the first person onshore to lose his citizenship under the relevant laws.

Benbrika will be granted an ex-citizen visa under migration law.



Source link

Abdul Popal’s alleged killer to fight manslaughter charge after Clarkson laneway death


An Ocean Reef man accused of unlawfully killing a teenager in the northern Perth suburb of Clarkson has been granted bail.

Kai Dylan Best, 20, appeared in the Joondalup Magistrates Court charged with the manslaughter of 16-year-old Abdul Popal.

CCTV footage showed Mr Popal standing next to a car and speaking to someone inside the vehicle on Portslade Lane on Saturday evening.

The car sped off with Mr Popal hanging on briefly until he fell, hitting his head on the ground.

He died at the scene.

A trial over Mr Popal’s death could be up to two years away, the magistrate said.(Supplied: Facebook)

Mr Best’s lawyer, Jeremy Noble, said his client would plead not guilty.

He applied for bail, saying there was not a strong prosecution case and that his client had no criminal record and would abide by strict bail conditions.

The court heard Mr Best worked as a carpenter’s apprentice and had a pregnant partner and 19-month old child, for whom he was the sole income earner.

Two men walk away from a building with the one on the left hiding his face under a black hoodie.
Kai Dylan Best (left) covered his face and made no comment as he left court in Joondalup.(ABC News: Nicolas Perpitch)

Magistrate Matthew Walton noted the seriousness of the charge, but also said a trial could be up to two years away.

He said given Mr Best’s age, the strength of the prosecution’s case, the circumstances and Mr Best’s background, bail would be granted.

He set a $10,000 personal undertaking and a $50,000 surety with strict conditions.

Mr Best will reappear in court in January next year.

A head and shoulders shot of a young boy smiling.
Mr Popal died at the scene on Portslade Lane on Saturday evening.(Supplied: Facebook)



Source link