Rioters Topple Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt Statues in Portland; Museum Windows Smashed



Rioters toppled statues of Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt in Portland, Oregon, on Sunday night — the latest attacks on monuments in several months of left-wing unrest.

According to OregonLive.com, the statues in the South Park Block were toppled during an “Indigenous Day of Rage.” The nearby Oregon Historical Society Museum was also reportedly attacked.

Video of the toppled statues showed they had been vandalized with the words “STOLEN LAND” spray-painted on their bases. The Roosevelt statue was also vandalized with “MURDERER.”

Portland Police had warned those attempting to topple statues:

OregonLive.com reported:

As the crowd gathered, a group threw chains on ropes on the statue, a bronze sculpture officially titled “Theodore Roosevelt, Rough Rider,” as others took a blowtorch to its base and threw red paint on the statue. They began to pull until the statue rocked from side to side before falling down at 8:51 p.m.

The group then turned to the nearby Abraham Lincoln statue, pulling it to the ground at 8:59 p.m. Spray-painted on the base of the statue was “Dakota 38,” a reference to 38 Dakota men executed after the Dakota-U.S. War of 1862, the largest mass execution in a single day in American history.

Afterward, people in the crowd began smashing windows at the Oregon Historical Society, unfurling a banner that read, “Stop honoring racist colonizer murderers.” A mural on the attached Sovereign Hotel building depicting the Lewis & Clark expedition was splattered with red paint.

The crowd then moved through downtown, breaking windows and destroying a sign at the Portland State University Campus Public Safety office and other buildings.

Police did not apparently intervene in time to save the statues or protect the museum.

The protest appeared timed for the eve of Columbus Day, which is observed in some parts of the U.S. on Monday.

Joel B. Pollak is Senior Editor-at-Large at Breitbart News and the host of Breitbart News Sunday on Sirius XM Patriot on Sunday evenings from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. ET (4 p.m. to 7 p.m. PT). His newest e-book is The Trumpian Virtues: The Lessons and Legacy of Donald Trump’s Presidency. His recent book, RED NOVEMBER, tells the story of the 2020 Democratic presidential primary from a conservative perspective. He is a winner of the 2018 Robert Novak Journalism Alumni Fellowship. Follow him on Twitter at @joelpollak.





Source link

Ben Abio and Abraham Ajang Yaak face court over murder charge


A 13th person has been arrested over the deadly north Brisbane park brawl which claimed the life of a 19-year-old and injured 11 others.

A Queensland Police spokesman confirmed a 13th person had been arrested, but had not yet been charged.

It comes as two men were charged with the murder of Girum Mekonnen overnight, a day after 10 others were charged.

One of the men charged overnight will fight the charges, his lawyer has confirmed.

Security was on high alert as Ben Abio, 19, and Abraham Ajang Yaak, 26, fronted Brisbane Arrests Court on Friday morning over the alleged murder of Girum Mekonnen.

It followed emotional scenes outside court as the 10 men charged over the Zillmere brawl appeared in court on Thursday.

Yaak’s family members remained outside the court as he appeared via video link on Friday.

The Redbank Plains men were charged on Thursday night with 12 counts of acts intended to cause grievous bodily harm and one count each of murder, affray and disobedience to lawful order.

The arrests bring the total number of men charged in the ongoing investigation to 12.

Neither men made applications for bail as their matters were adjourned.

Yaak’s lawyer, Basil Karsas, said his client would contest the charges.

Outside court he told reporters Yaak was doing “all right” but said it was “too early to comment any further”.

Abio and Yaak are the latest men to be charged alongside Kresto Wal Wal, Yohana Wal Wal, Gabreal Wal Wal, Santo Wal, Majok Riel Majok, Anas Ayman Abdu Musa, Juma Makuol Deng Makuol, Chan Kuchmol Kon and Alex Edward Deng and Joseph Lokolong.

Police allege the group was involved in a violent gang brawl at O’Callaghan Park in Zillmere on September 13.

The fight resulted in the death of Mr Mekonnen, 19, after he was allegedly bashed and stabbed during the fight.

All 12 men will remain behind bars until their next appearance until November 16.

The Courier Mail reported Makuol, 23, had three outstanding warrants for his arrest when he was taken into custody on Wednesday.

He is also facing multiple charges of breaching his bail.



Source link

‘This is peace in the Middle East without blood all over the sand,’ says President Trump on Abraham Accords


President Donald Trump, center, with from left, Bahrain Foreign Minister Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Trump, and United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed al-Nahyan, during the Abraham Accords signing ceremony on the South Lawn of the White House, Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 11:53 AM PT – Tuesday, September 15, 2020

President Trump touted his brokered peace agreement for several Middle East countries Tuesday, while welcoming the foreign ministers of Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates as well as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

During an Oval Office sit-down, the President gifted Netanyahu the key to the White House. He then told the prime minister, “this is peace in the Middle East without blood all over the sand.”

Before the signing ceremony, President Trump honored the leaders for making this peace deal a reality.

“After decades of division and conflict, we mark the dawn of a new Middle East,” he stated. “Thanks to the great courage of the leaders of these three countries, we take a major stride toward a future in which people of all faiths and backgrounds live together in peace and prosperity.”

The world leaders then signed the historic Abraham Accords, normalizing relations for the first time between Israel and two Arab states in a quarter century.

White House senior advisor Jared Kushner said we are already starting to see the beginning of the end of the Israel-Arab conflict. During an interview Tuesday, he said the normalization of relations between Israel, the UAE and Bahrain shows the President is bringing people together.

Kushner also noted President Trump’s push for peace in the Middle East has been very well received in the region. He went on to suggest a resolution to the territorial dispute between Israel and Palestine will eventually be reached.

“With regards to the Palestinians, I think with time that will come, but what you are doing now is you’re bring people together,” stated the White House senior advisor.

Kushner also said President Trump doesn’t chase deals, but rather makes deals when they are ready.

RELATED: Envoy Khalilzad says Afghan, Taliban peace talks going well





Source link

Chelsea transfer round-up: Tammy Abraham linked with exit, Kepa set for keeper swap


Despite having burned through more than £130million on Hakim Ziyech, Timo Werner and Ben Chilwell as well as signing Malang Sarr and Thiago Silva on free transfers, Chelsea aren’t finished in the transfer market.

The Blues’ manic spending shows no sign of slowing down, with the signing of Kai Havertz for around £90m set to be announced in the coming days.

Frank Lampard is also in the market for a goalkeeper, having fallen out of love with Kepa Arrizabalaga this season.

There’s some interesting gossip on that front. Here’s the latest from Stamford Bridge.

Donnarumma swap deal mooted

Gianluigi Donnarumma is one of the most highly rated young goalkeepers in world football

Chelsea are in discussions with AC Milan over Gianluigi Donnarumma and are ready to offer Kepa in part-exchange, according to Football Insider.

Donnarumma, 21, has made 203 appearances for the Rossoneri since making his senior breakthrough in 2015.

One of the most highly rated young goalkeepers in world football, he is often touted as the heir to Gianluigi Buffon in Italy.

With his contract set to expire next summer, however, Donnarumma’s future hangs in the balance.

In a creative attempt to structure a deal, Chelsea have reportedly offered to sign Donnarumma in a loan-to-buy arrangement with Kepa heading the other way on loan.

The Blues would then acquire Donnarumma permanently next year – though what exactly happens to Kepa remains unclear.

Aston Villa want Abraham reunion

Tammy Abraham is wanted by Aston Villa – but will fancy his chances at Chelsea

Having scored 26 goals in 40 appearances as Aston Villa were promoted to the Premier League two seasons ago, Tammy Abraham needs no further introduction in the West Midlands.

Now, The Daily Mail reports that Villa have enquired about Abraham’s availability.

The arrival of Werner and Havertz in west London is likely to limit Abraham’s game time, though he is determined to stay and compete with them for minutes.

Abraham scored 18 goals in all competitions for Chelsea last term, so it’s little surprise that he sees his future at Stamford Bridge.

Spending spree heaps ‘more pressure’ on Lampard

Frank Lampard’s Chelsea must finish in the Premier League’s top two after their huge transfer outlay, says Tony Cascarino

Sign up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.

Put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.

Chelsea’s vast summer spending means that there will be “more pressure” on Lampard next season, according to former Chelsea forward Tony Cascarino.

Speaking on talkSPORT’s Weekend Sports Breakfast, Cascarino said: “Frank will be fully aware that him getting that investment means there’s a different challenge now.

“He will know the expectation won’t just be qualifying for Champions League football. That was the expectation last summer, and if they managed it with a transfer embargo then it’s a bonus.

“But that’s not the challenge now. Now it’s guaranteed top four, but really they’re giving him the funds to challenge for the top two.

“With that sort of spending you can’t lose 17 games.Chelsea lost 17 games last season, they had a goals against column that was dreadful.

“They opened the Premier League campaign by losing 4-0 at Man United, they conceded four against Ajax, they took a few hammerings against Bayern Munich home and away and lost 5-3 against Liverpool, where they were conceding goals for fun and looked all over the place.

“They lost in the FA Cup final to Arsenal, and Frank would have had a conversation with the powers that be about how they can challenge Man City, Liverpool, Manchester United, Spurs and Arsenal.

“That brings more pressure and Frank will know that, but if he doesn’t reach their expectations and goals then he’s not going to be manager of Chelsea next year.

“If they lose 17 games in a season, he won’t be Chelsea manager.”





Source link