Cops open fire during dramatic arrest of two men in Woolworths carpark


Police were forced to open fire in a Sydney suburb’s Woolworths carpark during a dramatic arrest on Monday afternoon.

It’s believed a car was driven into officers who were conducting a police operation on the city’s North Shore at Neutral Bay about 4.20pm.

Police then opened fire on the car.

“The vehicle’s windscreen was damaged before the car hit a bollard and stopped,” NSW Police said in a statement.

Two men were arrested at the scene and taken to Chatswood Police Station.

Police told NCA NewsWire no charges had been laid at 6pm but investigations were ongoing.

Nine News reported the incident was part of a drug investigation but police said it was too early to confirm the nature of the operation.

Woolworths said the carpark attached to the Neutral Bay store was closed following the incident.

“None of our team members or customers were injured and the store remains open,” the company said in a statement provided to NCA NewsWire.

“We will re-open the carpark underneath the store once cleared to do so by police.

“We stand ready to assist police with their investigations in any way we can.”

Thank you for visiting My Local Pages and reading this news release regarding the latest national news items called “Cops open fire during dramatic arrest of two men in Woolworths carpark”. This news release was posted by MyLocalPages as part of our local news services.

#Cops #open #fire #dramatic #arrest #men #Woolworths #carpark



Source link

Police dog, two Tasers to arrest man accused of threatening to burn partner | The Canberra Times


news, crime, court

A man was set on by a police dog, Tasered twice and still managed to flee from officers in what a magistrate described as the “biggest resist [arrest]” he’d seen in his career on the bench. Jason Buckley, 39, had been on the run since November for an incident in which he is accused of dousing his partner in methylated spirits and threatened to set her alight with a cigarette lighter. A first instance warrant was sworn against Mr Buckley, who managed to elude detection for more than three months until this week, when he was arrested in Bonner and appeared on Friday before Magistrate James Stewart. Police alleged that in November 2020, Mr Buckley had several arguments with his partner before threatening her with injury. He left the house but returned, when the arguments resumed. This time, they said, he splashed the woman with methylated spirits and threatened to set her on fire with a lighter held in his hands. READ MORE: As the victim attempted to flee the house in her car, Mr Buckley jumped on the bonnet and smashed the windscreen, police said. She escaped and returned home, where he again confronted her. Seeking Mr Buckley on four charges, police had been on patrol in Gungahlin on Thursday afternoon when they saw him standing in a doorway. He allegedly ran away and police began a systemic patrol search of the area, finally spotting him hiding in some bushes. As Mr Buckley rushed at one officer, a police dog grabbed him. He somehow managed to wrestle the dog off and continued advancing toward police, who fired the first Taser. Buckley fell to the ground “momentarily incapacitated” but when police attempted to handcuff him, he wriggled free, ran at another officer and received a second Taser shot. He was eventually apprehended by a second group of officers approaching from another direction. “That’s the biggest resist arrest I’ve seen in my career,” Magistrate Stewart said in court. Mr Buckley appeared on a number of family-violence related charges including one count of an act endangering life, reckless threat to inflict grievous bodily harm and resisting a public official. Mr Buckley’s defence attorney sought bail, and said that his client would be pleading not guilty to the family violence charges. However, Magistrate Stewart said that Mr Buckley was already serving an intensive corrections order in NSW, “clearly had no fear of police”, and there was the strong likelihood of him harassing the complainant. He was remanded in custody to appear again on May 11. Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/fdcx/doc768lypxp50n76cv7h2u.jpg/r10_218_4245_2611_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SUBSCRIBER



Thanks for stopping by and checking out this story about ACT news titled “Police dog, two Tasers to arrest man accused of threatening to burn partner | The Canberra Times”. This post was presented by My Local Pages Australia as part of our local news services.

#Police #dog #Tasers #arrest #man #accused #threatening #burn #partner #Canberra #Times



Source link

Anger as Labour Backs Tory Takeover of Liverpool Council After Mayor’s Arrest



UK

Get short URL

Former Liverpool Labour Mayor Joe Anderson resigned December 2020 after he and four other men — one reported to have been former Liverpool council deputy leader Derek Hatton — were arrested following a three-month police probe into city development contract corruption.

Labour Party loyalists have reacted angrily to the party’s support for the Conservative government placing Liverpool city council under administration.

Housing, Communities and Local Government Secretary Robert Jenrick announced to Parliament on Wednesday afternoon that commissioners would be appointed to run the northwestern port city’s government for a minimum of three years in light of Max Caller’s report — launched following the December 2020 arrest of then-mayor Joe Anderson.

Jenrick said the report found “multiple apparent failures by Liverpool City Council” in planning, highways, governance, the award of “dubious contracts” and an “overall environment of intimidation”.

Anderson and four other men were arrested for bribery and witness intimidation last December following a three-month police-led corruption investigation into building and development contracts, prompting his resignation.

Labour’s MPs in the city lined up with opposition leader Sir Keir Starmer to support the government’s decision.

“The contents of the very damning report makes me angry”, Liverpool Riverside MP Kim Johnson said, but added that the city was “resilient” enough to come back from the scandal.

​Liverpool Walton MP Dan Carden threw a softball question to Jenrick, asking him to “reassure” Liverpudlians that this was “not a takeover.” Liverpool West Derby MP Ian Byrne and Liverpool Wavetree’s Paula Barker made similar interventions, with Barker calling the report’s findings “deeply worrying”.

​​Liverpool’s acting mayor, Labour councillor Wendy Simon, said it was a “difficult day” for her and her council colleagues, and that the report made “tough reading”, while pledging to “rebuild your trust and confidence”.

One of the four suspects is widely reported to be a former Labour council deputy leader, Derek Hatton, who was removed from office and charged after helping set a city budget £30 million higher than the “rate-cap” limit set by Margaret Thatcher’s Conservative government. Hatton, now a property developer, broke his three-month Twitter silence since the arrests to condemn the government plans.

“The Labour Party has been embarrassingly and disgracefully silent over this whole affair, and colluded with the ‘guilty until proved innocent’ brigade”, Hatton charged.

Other ​left-wingers, trade union officials and some celebrities took to Twitter to condemn Starmer’s party for supporting the move in the staunchly Labour-voting city.



Thank you for stopping to visit My Local Pages. We Hope you enjoyed checking this news release involving Russia news published as “Anger as Labour Backs Tory Takeover of Liverpool Council After Mayor’s Arrest”. This post was shared by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our Australian news services.

#Anger #Labour #Backs #Tory #Takeover #Liverpool #Council #Mayors #Arrest



Source link

Police arrest man after bomb threat at Queen’s official Edinburgh residence



Police have arrested a man after a bomb disposal team attended a report of a suspicious item in the grounds of the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Queen’s official residence in Edinburgh.

 

The bomb disposal team made the item safe after they were called to the scene on Tuesday.

Police said a 39-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “We were called to the Palace of Holyroodhouse, Abbey Strand, Edinburgh, around 8.50pm on Tuesday, March 23, following a report of a suspicious item.

“Following examination by explosive ordnance disposal (EOD), it was made safe.

“A 39-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident. There was no threat to the public and enquiries are ongoing into the full circumstances.”

The bomb threat, in pictures

 



Thank you for visiting My Local Pages. We hope you enjoyed reading this news release involving current United Kingdom and Political news published as “Police arrest man after bomb threat at Queen’s official Edinburgh residence”. This news article was presented by My Local Pages as part of our local news services.

#Police #arrest #man #bomb #threat #Queens #official #Edinburgh #residence



Source link

Arrest made after body found bound and gagged in Melbourne



A man has been arrested after a body was found bound, gagged and wrapped in a doona last week.Police today arrested Klay Holland and he is currently being interviewed by investigators.The 30-year-old has been a person of interest following the discovery of 39-year-old Shane Cox's body on Fay Street in Melton on March 17.The investigation is ongoing, anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or file a confidential report online at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Thank you for dropping in to My Local Pages and checking this news update on “News in the City of Melbourne titled “Arrest made after body found bound and gagged in Melbourne”. This story was presented by My Local Pages as part of our local events & news services.

#Arrest #body #bound #gagged #Melbourne



Source link

Cops chase car thief over fence in dramatic arrest



A MAN has been charged after ramming a police car and ploughing a stolen car through a fence at North Ward.

Thanks for stopping by and checking out this news release regarding Northern Territory news called “Cops chase car thief over fence in dramatic arrest”. This story was posted by MyLocalPages as part of our local news services.

#Cops #chase #car #thief #fence #dramatic #arrest



Source link

Victoria Police arrest man after Melbourne woman allegedly assaulted outside South Yarra Greek Orthodox church


A man wanted over an alleged bashing of a Melbourne grandmother outside a church has been arrested.

Penelope Katsavos was opening the Greek Orthodox Church in South Yarra on Saturday around 6.15am when she was attacked.

A man allegedly grabbed the 78-year-old’s shopping trolley and assaulted her.

On Thursday police arrested a man who was wanted over the attack.

“A 36-year-old Box Hill man is currently assisting police with their enquiries and is expected to be charged with assault and theft offences,” a statement read.

Earlier in the week, Katsavos’ son Evri told 7NEWS she suffered bleeding on the brain, a fractured pelvis and wrist, as well as severe bruising.

He said council street cleaners called police after they found her on the church steps.

Penelope is now recovering from her injuries.

She is a full-time carer for her husband Thomas, who has dementia.

Thank you for stopping to visit My Local Pages. We Hope you enjoyed seeing this news update on “News in the City of Melbourne named “Victoria Police arrest man after Melbourne woman allegedly assaulted outside South Yarra Greek Orthodox church”. This news release was shared by MyLocalPages as part of our local and national events & current news services.

#Victoria #Police #arrest #man #Melbourne #woman #allegedly #assaulted #South #Yarra #Greek #Orthodox #church



Source link

Man allegedly arms himself with a hammer in stranger’s house before Newtown arrest


A man is in hospital under police guard accused of assaulting an officer during an arrest.

Police first approached the man in Newtown, in Sydney’s inner-west, where he allegedly attacked an officer.

NSW Police said the man was approached because he was “acting suspiciously” and officers determined he was breaching bail.

A man is accused of assaulting a police officer before hiding in a stranger's house with a hammer.
A man is accused of assaulting a police officer before hiding in a stranger’s house with a hammer. (9News)
A man and a police officer are both in hospital after a violent arrest.
A man and a police officer are both in hospital after a violent arrest. (9News)

He is then accused of fleeing and hiding in a stranger’s house under renovation while arming himself with a hammer.

Eventually he was handcuffed on Station Street and taken to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital where he is being treated for head injuries.

The officer is in the same hospital being treated for concussion and swelling.

Thank you for stopping by and seeing this news update regarding “News in the City of Sydney called “Man allegedly arms himself with a hammer in stranger’s house before Newtown arrest”. This article was posted by My Local Pages as part of our VIC news services.

#Man #allegedly #arms #hammer #strangers #house #Newtown #arrest



Source link

Arrest but no charges after ‘screams in the night’


NEIGHBOURS rushed to help when they heard a woman’s screams coming from bushland near Rosebud Tennis Club, 9.45pm, Saturday 13 February.

One resident, who asked not to be named, said he and others cautiously made their way towards the screams and found her with injuries requiring hospital treatment. Her alleged attacker was still on the scene.

Leading Senior Constable Adam West, of police media, said Rosebud police initially received a call for a “woman yelling” in Hove Road, but as all units were tied up with other jobs, they had no one to send.

After a second call of an “assault in progress” at 10.15pm a scratch-crew was put together and police arrived within about seven minutes.

A man was arrested and the woman taken by ambulance to Frankston Hospital with minor injuries. She was later allowed to leave.

Police say the pair know each other and although the woman chose not to press charges, they are “looking into the matter”. The man was released pending further inquiries.

Cr Antonella Celi said she had spoken with neighbours about the incident and would “escalate their concerns” about the need for improved safety measures in the area with Mornington Peninsula Shire officers and police.

“VicPol have been asked to assess the situation to see what can be done about improving community safety there,” she said.

“This may include installing CCTV or wire mesh fencing; we are looking at all options.”

Cr Celi said the community “needs VicPol’s support in this”. “We are counting on them to help improve community safety,” she said.

“We need active policing in the area to reduce the number of these incidents. The community expects that there will be an adequate police presence.”

Rosebud Tennis Club former president Greg Collins said the club had contacted the shire and the police since the attack and was “open to ideas” on improving security. “Nothing has been suggested as yet but we are happy to talk,” he said.

First published in the Southern Peninsula News – 2 March 2021

Thank you for dropping in and checking out this article about “News & What’s On in The Frankston & Mornington Peninsula Region named “Arrest but no charges after ‘screams in the night’”. This story was brought to you by My Local Pages as part of our local stories aggregator services.

#Arrest #charges #screams #night



Source link

Police arrest five after series of aggravated home invasions in Melbourne’s south


Police have arrested five teenage males following a series of alleged aggravated home invasions and car thefts across Melbourne’s south over the weekend.

The incidents include:

• Theft of an Audi sedan from a Yarram Court, Frankston address about 1am on Wednesday, 24 February.

• An armed robbery where a taxi driver was allegedly threatened and had cash stolen on Ashleigh Avenue, Frankston about 9pm on Saturday, 27 February.

• Theft of a Holden Commodore on Mallum Avenue, Frankston about 10pm on Saturday, 27 February. A teenage male who was allegedly driving the stolen car rammed the victim who was following in another car.

• An aggravated home invasion at an address on Alcon Court, Langwarrin about 12.05am on Sunday, 28 February. Three males allegedly stole a Hyundai Highlander.

• An aggravated burglary at an address on Strzelecki Court, Cranbourne about 2.30am on Sunday, 28 February.

• An aggravated home invasion at an address on Kirby Court, Frankston about 12am on Monday, 1 March. Three offenders armed with knives stole a Jeep Cherokee and BMW X5.

Detectives from the Frankston Crime Investigation Unit have since recovered all five stolen vehicles and arrested five males in relation to the incidents.

A 15-year-old Frankston boy has been charged with two counts of handle stolen goods, two counts of assault police, two counts of resist police, knowingly deal with the proceeds of crime, act in manner prejudicial to good order of police gaol and deal property suspected proceeds of crime.

He was bailed to appear before a children’s court at a later date.

A 14-year-old Cranbourne North boy has been charged with armed robbery, assault with a weapon, use controlled weapon, attempted theft of motor vehicle, two counts of theft of motor vehicle, home invasion, aggravated burglary and criminal damage.

He was remanded to appear before a court at a later date.

A 17-year-old Cranbourne North boy and two Frankston boys, aged 17 and 16, remain in custody assisting detectives with enquires.

Police are not looking for anyone else in relation to the incidents.

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.

Thank you for stopping by and seeing this article on “News & What’s On in The Frankston & Mornington Peninsula Region named “Police arrest five after series of aggravated home invasions in Melbourne’s south”. This story was brought to you by My Local Pages as part of our current events and news aggregator services.

#Police #arrest #series #aggravated #home #invasions #Melbournes #south



Source link