Bunbury school sacks staff member alleged to have used racist slur


A staff member at a school in Western Australia’s South West has been fired after an investigation into an allegation he used a racist slur in a classroom.

In a conversation with an Indigenous student at the end of term, the non-teaching, support staff member at Bunbury Cathedral Grammar School relayed personal experiences of living in South Africa.

The 15-year-old boy, who happened to be the grandson of the co-chair of Reconciliation WA, reported the alleged incident.

Principal Michael Giles said the staff member was let go yesterday.

“It was clearly unacceptable, the comment that was made and it does not fit with the values and the ethos of the school,” he said.

“We are a school that values inclusiveness and respect for all people and I expect all members including staff, volunteers, students and even teachers to share this commitment.

Mr Giles said he had been in contact with the students involved and said school would roll out more cultural awareness training for staff after the holidays.

Carol Innes says she is proud of her grandson for reporting the remarks.(Supplied: Reconciliation WA)

Student won’t be back

Carol Innes, the co-chair of Reconciliation WA, said she was proud of her grandson for speaking out.

Ms Innes was close to tears recalling the incident, which she said never should have happened.

“I commend the school for taking the action they have taken, but it can’t take away the pain,” she said.

Ms Innes confirmed the boy would not return to the school next term.



Source link

Bunbury Festival cancelled due to impact of Covid-19


9:21 PM ISTFollow on Twitter

English cricket’s most prestigious junior tournament has been cancelled this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Bunbury Festival was founded by David English – who had previously managed the Bee Gees and Eric Clapton in his career as a music agent – in 1987, and brings the 56 best Under-15 players in the country together for a week-long tournament. It became a formalised part of the ECB’s player pathway in 2018, and more than 90 of its graduates have gone on to play international cricket.

In an interview in the Sunday Telegraph last year, English revealed that he had taken a late-night phone call from the England squad after the World Cup final to thank him for his role in their development. Ten of the 11 players picked for the final had played at the festival.

But the festival has been cancelled for 2020, with Alun Powell, the ECB’s National Talent Manager, telling those involved it was “not feasible to run the programme” in an email this week. It had been due to take place between August 2-7 at Eastbourne College.

Powell said that the ECB retains the ambition of staging cricket for young players on the pathway this summer, the nature of which will be dictated by the wider landscape of the game. An ECB spokesperson said: “There will be a wider update next week around national competitions and more information will be available then”.

The news follows the cancellation of two of cricket’s longest-standing fixtures for this year, with the MCC confirming that Lord’s would not stage the annual encounters between either Oxford and Cambridge or Eton and Harrow.

A fixture between the two universities has been played at Lord’s every year in peacetime since 1851, but has fallen by the wayside due to the pandemic. In 2001, the Lord’s fixture became a one-day match, with the first-class fixture moving to a home/away system.

This year’s four-day match was due to be the final one between the universities before the fixture lost first-class status. Graham Charlesworth, Oxford’s head coach, said: “We are not ruling out the possibility of getting the two historic clubs together for some form of cricket this summer, but this will depend on a number of factors and decisions made around the wider game.”

Eton v Harrow lays claim to being one of the longest-running fixtures in cricket, dating back to 1805, and has been staged at Lord’s every year in peacetime since 1856. This year’s was due to be Mark Ramprakash’s first as Harrow’s head coach since his appointment in December, but has also been shelved.

Johny Marsden, Harrow’s master-in-charge of cricket, said that the fixture would not be played elsewhere this year, but “will be back to normal in 2021” assuming the public health situation allows.



Source link

Evan Robinson saves daughter and friend caught in ocean rip off Bunbury



Updated

April 22, 2020 17:39:17

A man has described the traumatic moment he watched his 12-year-old daughter and her friend be swept away in an ocean rip in Western Australia’s South West.

Key points:

  • The girls were swept about 100 metres offshore and close to a rock wall
  • One was washed into the wall while the other and was pushed into rocks and broke her wrist
  • Police, paramedics and members of the community played a vital role in helping the father and the girls

Jasmine Robinson and Lilly Hollands were surfing at a beach break near a boat ramp in Bunbury, south of Perth, on Sunday.

The waves were larger than usual due to rough weather conditions and it was not long before Evan Robinson realised the girls were in danger.

They were swept about 100 metres offshore and close to a rock wall owned by the Bunbury Port.

“Both of the girls believed that they were going to drown,” Mr Robinson said.

“I could hear them before I could get to them to come into shore, I could hear them screaming.”

‘An absolute gift’

Mr Robinson said he ran along the wall and found the safest spot to help bring them in.

“When I tried to get in a couple of times and got beat back by waves, I came to the realisation that I may have been able to swim out and get one of them, but the surf and the rocks were such that there was a good chance that I may not have got both of them,” he said.

The girls were swept into the wall, where Jasmine managed to climb out and Lilly was pushed into rocks and broke her wrist.

Jasmine injured her elbow and both girls received cuts and bruises from the ordeal.

“Lilly was very traumatised — all I could do for her was hold her tight and tell her that she was safe,” Mr Robinson said.

“To get them up onto the rocks, as injured as they were, it was a gift really, an absolute gift.”

Community comes together

Police, St John Ambulance and members of the community played a vital role in helping Mr Robinson and the girls.

Bunbury Police officer-in-charge Andy Carson commended everyone’s actions.

“It was pleasing to see so many people rush to provide assistance to the group and our police officers,” he said.

“While both girls were injured, the situation could have ended much worse and I urge anyone who is going swimming or undertaking other marine activities to take extra care.”

Mr Robinson said he could not thank the officers and members of the community enough.

“It was a real reminder that deep down, people want to help and people will help if they can — it was an amazing experience and much of a relief,” he said.

Topics:

emergency-incidents,

people,

human-interest,

bunbury-6230,

wa

First posted

April 22, 2020 17:30:25



Source link