Man charged after nine-hour siege in western Sydney


A man is behind bars tonight after a siege in Sydney’s west yesterday.

Police were called to Denison street, Carramar, about 1pm yesterday following reports a man was armed with a machete.

Charlie McGee, 35, is accused of threatening police with a weapon before holing up inside the house for nine hours.

Charlie McGee is behind bars accused of being behind a siege.
Charlie McGee is behind bars accused of being behind a siege. (9News)

His 22-year-old girlfriend was inside the home with him.

Specialist officers eventually removed the accused about 9.45pm, at which point he was taken to Fairfield police station and then on to hospital for treatment to minor injuries.

He was taken to Fairfield Police Station before being transferred to hospital with minor injuries.

The suburban street was shut down for about nine hours.
The suburban street was shut down for about nine hours. (9News)

Already on parole, he was charged with failing to comply with a supervision order and using an offensive weapon to prevent lawful detention.

The man was refused bail to appear at Fairfield Local Court today. He remains in custody until his next appearance.

Thank you for checking out this article about “News in the City of Sydney titled “Man charged after nine-hour siege in western Sydney”. This post was brought to you by MyLocalPages as part of our local and national events & current news services.

#Man #charged #ninehour #siege #western #Sydney



Source link

Man charged with double murder after shooting in Queensland’s Moreton Bay



A man has been charged with the murder of two men following a deadly shooting north of Brisbane yesterday.

Police were called to a property on Lower King Street, Caboolture, just after 5.15pm where they found two men with gunshot wounds.

Witnesses allegedly told police a man was seen fleeing the area in a Toyota Yaris soon after the shooting.

The two victims – aged 23 and 37 – were pronounced dead and a crime scene was established.

Shortly after 7pm, police arrested a 24-year-old man at a service station on Beenleigh Redland Bay Road at Cornubia.

A Yaris was also found at the service station and was taken for forensic examination.

As well as the two murder counts, the 24-year-old Caboolture man has been charged with possession of a shortened firearm, unlawful possession of weapons and authority required to possess explosives.

He will appear in the Caboolture Magistrates Court tomorrow.

Police investigations continue.

Thank you for stopping by to visit My Local Pages and seeing this news release involving current National News titled “Man charged with double murder after shooting in Queensland’s Moreton Bay”. This news update was presented by MyLocalPages as part of our national news services.

#Man #charged #double #murder #shooting #Queenslands #Moreton #Bay



Source link

Brunswick woman Maryam Hamka missing as Brighton man charged


Police are continuing to search for a Melbourne woman missing for more than a week, after they revealed they had charged her former partner with matters “unrelated” to her disappearance.

Maryam Hamka, 36, was last seen on April 10 and has not used her bank account, phone or social media since. Her family reported her missing on Friday.

On Saturday, Victoria Policearrested a 45-year-old-man following a search warrant at a home in Brighton.

In a later statement, police said the man had been charged with matters “unrelated” to Maryam’s disappearance and will appear in Melbourne Magistrates Court on April 30.

Police have not yet revealed what he was charged with, but said they believe he is Ms Hamka’s former partner and that he had assisted them with their inquiries.

Detective Inspector Andrew Stamper said on Saturday there were “significant concerns” for the woman, who left her family home in Brunswick last Saturday afternoon with a bag of clothing.

“We’re aware she was picked up by a male companion – at this stage there’s inquiries being conducted as to who that person was,” he said.

Ms Hamka was last seen at a Woolworths store in Albert St, Brunswick at 5.30pm on Saturday.

She had told family she was intending to visit a friend in Brighton.

Ms Hamka is described as 165cm tall, with a thin build and long black hair, brown eyes and an olive complexion.

She was last seen wearing a black dress.

Thank you for stopping by to visit My Local Pages and checking this news article involving the latest national news items called “Brunswick woman Maryam Hamka missing as Brighton man charged”. This article was posted by MyLocalPages as part of our news aggregator services.

#Brunswick #woman #Maryam #Hamka #missing #Brighton #man #charged



Source link

Ride share driver charged with sexual touching to face court in Sydney


A Sydney ride-share driver charged with a sexual touching offence against a passenger will face court today.

The man is accused of placing a woman passenger’s hand on his genital area while she was in his car at about 11.50pm on March 25 in Kellyville in the city’s north-west.

The 31-year-old woman left the car and reported to police.

A 32-year-old man was arrested when he attended a police station the next day.

He was charged with incite another to sexually touch them without consent and bailed to appear in court today.

Thank you for spending time with us on My Local Pages. We hope you enjoyed reading this news update regarding “News in the City of Sydney called “Ride share driver charged with sexual touching to face court in Sydney”. This news article was brought to you by My Local Pages as part of our current events and news aggregator services.

#Ride #share #driver #charged #sexual #touching #face #court #Sydney



Source link

WA man charged with ordering live-distance child abuse


This is a joint media release between the Australian Federal Police and Western Australia Police Force

A 70-year-old man who allegedly ordered live-distance child abuse from the Philippines is expected to appear in Geraldton Magistrates Court today (15 April 2021), charged by the Western Australia Joint Anti Child Exploitation Team with 68 offences.

The man is accused of making more than 860 payments to multiple entities in the Philippines for purposes including to procure children to be sexually abused, with this abuse allegedly committed on camera for him to watch live from his home in WA’s Mid-West.

Records allegedly show the man sent more than $443,000 overseas but it is still being assessed how much was allegedly spent on child abuse material.

WA JACET, which comprises Australian Federal Police and WA Police Force members, first arrested and charged the 70-year-old in September 2020 after he was allegedly identified from financial data collected during a separate child protection investigation in South Australia.

When officers searched the man’s Geraldton home on 21 September (2020), they allegedly found child abuse material on two devices and records of Skype chats that were allegedly consistent with the procurement of children for live-distance child abuse.

The man was charged with two counts of possessing child abuse material obtained through a carriage service. He was placed on bail with strict conditions that included not to access the internet except for banking, legal or employment purposes; not to access social media and no unsupervised access to children.

Further inquiries and digital analysis of seized devices resulted in WA JACET arresting the man at his home yesterday (14 April 2021) and charging him with 68 offences relating to the alleged live-distance child abuse.

The man was refused bail to face court today. The charges are:

39 counts of engaging in sexual activity with a child outside Australia, contrary to section 272.9(1) of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth); Seven counts of procuring a child outside Australia for sexual activity, contrary to section 272.14 of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth); 12 counts of using a carriage service to access child pornography material, contrary to section 474.19 of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth); (previous legislation) Six counts of using a carriage service to solicit child pornography material, contrary to section 474.19 of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth); (previous legislation) Four counts of using a carriage service to procure a child for sexual activity, contrary to section 474.26(1) Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth).

The maximum penalties for these offences range up to 20 years’ imprisonment.

WA JACET is liaising with AFP officers in Manila and Philippine authorities to identify child victims and remove them from harm and identify any alleged child abuse facilitators.

AFP Acting Inspector Joel Van Den Brun said child sex offenders are not restricted by national or international borders – but neither is law enforcement.

“We work closely with partners around the globe to to bring to justice anyone who preys on children, no matter where in the world they are hiding,” Acting Inspector Joel Van Den Brun said.

Members of the public who have any information about people involved in child abuse and exploitation are urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or report it online.

Advice and support for parents and carers about how they can help protection children online can be found at ThinkUKnow, an AFP-led education program designed to prevent online child sexual exploitation.

Note to media:

Use of term ‘CHILD ABUSE’ MATERIAL NOT ‘CHILD PORNOGRAPHY’

The correct legal term is Child Abuse Material – the move to this wording was among amendments to Commonwealth legislation in 2019 to more accurately reflect the gravity of the crimes and the harm inflicted on victims.

Use of the phrase “child pornography” is inaccurate and benefits child sex abusers because it:

indicates legitimacy and compliance on the part of the victim and therefore legality on the part of the abuser; and conjures images of children posing in ‘provocative’ positions, rather than suffering horrific abuse.

Every photograph or video captures an actual situation where a child has been abused.

Media enquiries

AFP Media: (02) 5126 9297

Thanks for stopping by and checking out this post regarding current West Australian News titled “WA man charged with ordering live-distance child abuse”. This news release was brought to you by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our Australian news services.

#man #charged #ordering #livedistance #child #abuse



Source link

Daunte Wright shooting: Officer Kim Potter to be charged over killing



A white police officer who shot dead a black motorist in Minnesota is to be charged with second-degree manslaughter, prosecutors say.

Officer Kim Potter has been arrested and will be held in custody.

Mrs Potter says she shot Daunte Wright accidentally, having mistakenly drawn her gun instead of her Taser.

Responding to the charges, the Wright family’s lawyer Ben Crump said the killing was an “intentional, deliberate, and unlawful use of force”.

Both Mrs Potter and Police Chief Tim Gannon have quit the Brooklyn Center force. The killing has sparked three nights of clashes between police and protesters.

It happened in a suburb of Minneapolis, a city already on edge amid the trial of a white ex-police officer accused of murdering African American George Floyd.

Minnesota’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) said Mrs Potter had been arrested on Wednesday morning at the BCA in St Paul and would be booked into Hennepin County Jail on probable cause second-degree manslaughter.

The charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and a $20,000 (£14,500) fine. Prosecutors must show that Mrs Potter was “culpably negligent” and took an “unreasonable risk” in her actions, Reuters reported.

In a statement, Mr Crump said “no conviction can give the Wright family their loved one back”.

“A 26-year veteran of the force knows the difference between a taser and a firearm. Kim Potter executed Daunte for what amounts to no more than a minor traffic infraction and a misdemeanour warrant,” he said.

On Tuesday night, bottles and other projectiles were thrown at the Brooklyn Center police headquarters and officers responded by firing tear gas, stun grenades and rubber bullets.

Earlier on Tuesday the families of Mr Wright and Mr Floyd came together to demand an end to the killing of unarmed black Americans by police.

“The world is traumatised watching another African-American man being slain,” Floyd’s brother Philonise Floyd said.

On Monday, Police Chief Gannon said the shooting of Mr Wright – who had a one-year-old son – appeared to be an “accidental discharge” after Mrs Potter mistook her service pistol for a stun gun.

But the families have rejected the explanation.

Mr Wright’s aunt Naisha said: “I watched that video like everybody else watched that video. That woman held that gun in front of her a long damn time.”

Thanks for stopping by and seeing this news article regarding International news called “Daunte Wright shooting: Officer Kim Potter to be charged over killing”. This article is posted by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our national news services.

#Daunte #Wright #shooting #Officer #Kim #Potter #charged #killing



Source link

Hearings closed to media for two teens charged over the stabbing death of 16yo Yannis Leulusoo


It is alleged on Thursday night, a fight broke out between Yannis Leulusoo, 16, and another 16-year-old boy who was known to him, before he was allegedly stabbed in the stomach.

Police said a passer-by found Mr Leulusoo lying on the ground at Suncorp Plaza.

Emergency crews were called to the city and he was taken to hospital, but he died a short time later.

On Sunday, detectives raided two homes in northern Brisbane before arresting the 16-year-old boy and charging him with murder.

A 17-year-old boy was also found at another home and charged with accessory after the fact to murder.

On Tuesday, the pair faced closed hearings in the Childrens Court in Brisbane.

Thank you for dropping in to My Local Pages and reading this news article on “What’s On in the City of Brisbane” called “Hearings closed to media for two teens charged over the stabbing death of 16yo Yannis Leulusoo”. This article was presented by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our Australian events & what’s on stories services.

#Hearings #closed #media #teens #charged #stabbing #death #16yo #Yannis #Leulusoo



Source link

Man charged over grocery store armed robbery – Redhead – 16 News


A man will appear in court tomorrow charged over an alleged armed robbery in the Lake Macquarie region last week.

Just after 7.30am on Wednesday 7 April 2021, a man entered a grocery store on Cowlishaw Street, Redhead, and approached the counter.

Police will allege the man threatened an employee with a knife, before stealing cigarettes and running away.

No one was physically injured during the incident.

Officers from Lake Macquarie Police District established a crime scene and commenced an investigation.

Following inquiries, police arrested an 18-year-old man at a home at Windale about 2pm today (Monday 12 April 2021).

He was taken to Belmont Police Station and charged with robbery armed with offensive weapon.

The Windale man was refused bail to appear at Newcastle Local Court tomorrow (Tuesday 13 April 2021).

Thanks for dropping by and checking out this post about National and NSW news and updates titled “Man charged over grocery store armed robbery – Redhead – 16 News”. This story was shared by My Local Pages Australia as part of our local and national news services.

#Man #charged #grocery #store #armed #robbery #Redhead #News



Source link

Teenager charged with murder over fatal stabbing of 16yo Yannis Leulusoo in Brisbane CBD


A 17-year-old Wooloowin boy has been charged with one count of accessory after the fact to murder.

A passer-by found Yannis Leulusoo lying on the ground at Suncorp Plaza, bleeding from his abdomen.

Paramedics and police rushed him to hospital, but he died a short time later.

On Sunday morning, police executed two separate search warrants in northern Brisbane and arrested the two teenagers at separate addresses.

Both have been denied police bail and were remanded in custody to appear in the Brisbane Children’s Court.

Police will allege that around 8:00pm on Thursday, an altercation occurred between two 16-year-old boys, which resulted in Mr Leulusoo sustaining a fatal stomach wound.

Thank you for checking out this news release regarding “What’s On in the City of Brisbane” named “Teenager charged with murder over fatal stabbing of 16yo Yannis Leulusoo in Brisbane CBD”. This story was brought to you by MyLocalPages as part of our local and national events & what’s on news services.

#Teenager #charged #murder #fatal #stabbing #16yo #Yannis #Leulusoo #Brisbane #CBD



Source link

Sir Richard Sutton: Man charged with murder


A 34-year-old man has been charged with the murder of one of the UK’s richest men.

Sir Richard Sutton died at his home near Gillingham on Wednesday. A woman, in her 60s and believed to be his wife, remains in critical condition.

Thomas Schreiber was charged with murder, attempted murder and dangerous driving.

Sir Richard, 83, and his family’s wealth was valued at £301m in the 2020 Sunday Times Rich List.

Detective Inspector Simon Huxter, of Dorset Police, said: “Our thoughts remain with the victims’ family and all of those affected by this terrible incident.

“Following a detailed investigation, we have consulted with the Crown Prosecution Service.

“As a result, Dorset Police have been authorised to formally charge Thomas Schreiber with the murder of Sir Richard, attempted murder of the injured woman and dangerous driving.”

Sir Richard, who was number 435 in last year’s Sunday Times Rich List, owned a string of top hotels.

The baronet had an extensive property and farming portfolio, including owning the freehold of the Sheraton Grand London Park Lane and the Athenaeum Hotel in Mayfair.

Follow BBC South on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Send your story ideas to south.newsonline@bbc.co.uk.



Thank you for stopping by and checking out this post about European news named “Sir Richard Sutton: Man charged with murder”. This article was brought to you by MyLocalPages as part of our local news services.

#Sir #Richard #Sutton #Man #charged #murder



Source link