Police Car Backs Up as Protesters March in West Philadelphia After Police Shooting of Black Man
Protesters took to the streets of West Philadelphia after a black man was shot by police in the neighbourhood earlier on October 26. Local media reported the man later died in hospital. A small crowd gathered at Malcolm X Park before marching towards a police precinct, shouting chants including “shut it down”, as heard in videos posted to Twitter by Jason N Peters. Video of the shooting incident on Locust Street circulated on social media, in which police officers can be heard telling the victim to drop a knife before multiple gunshots are heard. Local media identified the man as Walter Wallace Jr. Philadelphia Police said the man advanced towards police while holding the knife, according to reports. Credit: jpeters2100 via Storyful
Emergency services are reminding the community to take precautions as wet weather continues across parts of the Southern Tablelands in coming days. The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) has forecast rain with possible thunderstorms for the rest of the week. The NSW State Emergency Service (SES) has reminded the community how to prepare for heavy rainfall and strong winds: NSW Emergency Operations Controller, Deputy Commissioner, Gary Worboys, said, “It has been a while since we’ve had significant rainfall, so I also want to remind all road users take extra care. Read also: Council meets with Taylor over aged care developer’s threat “The key for motorists is drive or ride to the conditions; reduce your speed to make sure there’s enough braking distance between you and the vehicle in front. “The weather will be particularly problematic for motorcycle riders and cyclists, so if you’ve got to be on the road, wear bright-coloured clothing, be seen by other vehicles, and share the roads safely,” he said. “Those towing vans, trailers, and boats should also exercise added caution as roads will be slippery, and visibility will be impacted. Read also: Taralga ladies celebrate 50th reunion of the Women’s Royal Australian Naval Service “Most importantly, if the road conditions get dangerous – things like flash flooding, mud or landslides, debris or trees on the road – get off the road and wait somewhere away from trees, drains and low-lying areas and floodwaters,” Deputy Commissioner Worboys said. For more information, visit bom.gov.au, ses.nsw.gov.au, and livetraffic.com.
Emergency services are reminding the community to take precautions as wet weather continues across parts of the Southern Tablelands in coming days.
The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) has forecast rain with possible thunderstorms for the rest of the week.
The NSW State Emergency Service (SES) has reminded the community how to prepare for heavy rainfall and strong winds:
Prevent storm damage around property by trimming back overhanging branches,
Secure or store away loose items around the yard or balcony,
Stay clear of fallen trees or powerlines. It’s also important to avoid parking your cars under trees and powerlines; and,
Never drive through floodwater and stay clear of creeks and storm drains.
Drive to the road conditions; and,
Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
NSW Emergency Operations Controller, Deputy Commissioner, Gary Worboys, said, “It has been a while since we’ve had significant rainfall, so I also want to remind all road users take extra care.
“The key for motorists is drive or ride to the conditions; reduce your speed to make sure there’s enough braking distance between you and the vehicle in front.
“The weather will be particularly problematic for motorcycle riders and cyclists, so if you’ve got to be on the road, wear bright-coloured clothing, be seen by other vehicles, and share the roads safely,” he said.
“Those towing vans, trailers, and boats should also exercise added caution as roads will be slippery, and visibility will be impacted.
“Most importantly, if the road conditions get dangerous – things like flash flooding, mud or landslides, debris or trees on the road – get off the road and wait somewhere away from trees, drains and low-lying areas and floodwaters,” Deputy Commissioner Worboys said.
“Obviously in the context of very strong restrictions people aren’t having contact with many people, but we think that puts us in an extremely good position to use the app going forward,” she said.
The app was developed as part of the government’s COVIDSafe strategy, which included advertising for social distancing and good hygiene practices.
Opposition health spokesman Chris Bowen said Labor was supportive of any tool to ease the burden of the pandemic.
But given Australia has recorded 27,520 cases of COVID-19 and uncovered hundreds of thousands of close contacts the app was clearly ineffective.
“This app has been a huge bungle,” he said.
Senate estimates also heard on Monday that the level of mental distress has increased across Australia but soared in Victoria as the pandemic has worn on.
Outside Victoria and NSW, use of Kids Helpline increased 18 per cent, Beyond Blue use rose 8 per cent, and Lifeline calls increased by 18 per cent, senate estimates heard.
But in Victoria alone, Kids Helpline services rose by 61 per cent, Beyond Blue help went up by 67 per cent and Lifeline calls rose by 40 per cent.
Use of medicare mental health services in Victoria in the four weeks to October 11 was also 31 per cent higher than the equivalent four-week period a year earlier, first assistant secretary for the Department of Health Mark Roddam said.
Liberal Senator Dean Smith asked Mr Roddam if that showed the pandemic had affected Victorians more than the rest of the country.
“Clearly Victorians are reaching out for support in a much larger proportion than the rest of the country,” Mr Roddam said on Monday.
Senator Smith whether demand for mental health services was continuing to increase or whether it had peaked, Mr Roddam said he expected those numbers were coming back down.
“I would think senator based on what we saw in the rest of the country from May onwards that we would start to see those numbers come back now, as the pandemic in Victoria comes under control,” he said.
“At a board level, they need a complete refresh,” Ms Liu said, though conceding “it’s a really tricky position. Who within the business will be able to guarantee or present a plan to the investors of how they might come back from here?”
Redemptions by super funds and other institutional clients saw AMP Capital’s assets shrink to $189.8 billion in the three months to June 30. The company’s wealth management arm saw total assets increase by 2 per cent to $122.1 billion, but outflows persisted due to a loss of corporate super mandates and payments to clients accessing their superannuation early in the COVID-19 crisis, AMP said in a trading update to the ASX.
After his demotion, Mr Pahari retained a key leadership role overseeing AMP Capital’s expansion of unlisted assets – a part of the company that has seen $688 million growth in infrastructure debt.
Morningstar analyst Shaun Lerr said AMP was exposed to “key person risk” as investment mandates linked to individual employees were closely tied to AMP’s performance. Mr Lerr said the high turnover of staff following the sexual harassment scandal had hurt the business, but it would be made worse if Mr Pahari was sacked.
“Rightfully or wrongfully, Boe Pahari has been doing a very good job at managing money. He is quite a necessary evil they have to retain,” Mr Lerr said.
AMP chief executive Mr De Ferrari said the results showed “underlying improvement”, with its online fund management platform, North, seeing $818 million in net inflows over the quarter and wealth assets growing by 0.3 per cent to $121.4 billion.
“Our business has performed resiliently through the challenges of COVID-19 and a period of internal change in the third quarter,” Mr De Ferrari said.
“I get the sense that [Mr] De Ferrari wants to keep it as is, he wants to continue running the empire but everyone else wants to see it torn apart and fed to the wolves,” Mr Lerr said.
AMP Bank saw deposits increase by $52 million but its total loan book decreased by $303 million to $206 billion. Mr Lerr said this was a “disappointing” result but could improve with the proposed axing of responsible lending laws.
“No doubt AMP will be a very turbulent investment, it will have its ups and downs, but when you look at long-term fundamentals, management is doing the right job of simplifying the business,” he added.
It was designed to bring clarity but instead the government’s tier system of Covid alerts seems to have caused division. The Mayor of Greater Manchester and Number 10 still can’t agree on whether the region should be put under tighter Tier 3 rules. Andy Burnham has accused the Prime Minister of exaggerating the severity of the crisis in the area.
Today Mr Burnham said today he’d had ‘constructive talks’ with Boris Johnson’s chief strategic adviser – but he wants MPs to vote on financial help for all regions put into the strictest local lockdown, calling for an urgent debate in parliament next week.
In today’s other developments, a further 16,982 new cases were recorded in the last 24 hours. 67 deaths were reported. And the total number of deaths is now 43,646.
He accused rival Joe Biden of wanting to “shut down the country, delay the vaccine and prolong the pandemic” – a pandemic that he tried to play down for a long time, despite warnings from public health experts.
He said a win for the Democrats would result in the “single biggest depression in the history of our country” and “turn Michigan into a refugee camp” but offered no evidence for his claims.
He also stoked fears that, even if he does lose November’s election, he might not leave the White House gracefully, saying in Michigan that he “better damn well be president” in January.
Mr Trump moves to Nevada on Sunday, Arizona on Monday and Pennsylvania on Tuesday.
Despite Mr Biden leading the polls and having no public appearances scheduled on Saturday, his campaign manager warned against complacency.
Jen O’Malley Dillon wrote in a memo published by The Associated Press: “If we learned anything from 2016, it’s that we cannot underestimate Donald Trump or his ability to claw his way back into contention in the final days of a campaign, through whatever smears or underhanded tactics he has at his disposal.”
Government department heads in the NT have repeated promises to retrain staff, improve their record-keeping and coordinate support for children who sniff solvents.
NT Health says it will be a “priority” to ensure workers understand guidelines
The Department of Education has committed to better record-keeping
Both departments and Territory Families say a new collaboration will also help deliver better outcomes
Warning: This story contains details which may be distressing for some readers.
The commitments were made on day four of a joint coronial inquest into the deaths of 12-year-old Master W, 13-year-old Master JK and 17-year-old Ms B, who died in separate Arnhem Land communities in 2018 and 2019.
Counsel assisting the coroner, Kelvin Currie, told the court the children’s deaths bore similarities to a 2017 inquest involving Mr Laurie, who for cultural reasons is known by only his last name.
Mr Currie was concerned the departments were repeating mistakes made three years ago.
“[Mr Laurie] was case managed or monitored until they got severe injuries and in this case, the children seemed to be case managed or monitored until they died,” Mr Currie said.
One of the issues raised in the 2017 inquest was an “immediate need” to make sure staff were trained in and understood the Volatile Substance Abuse Prevention Act.
“When do you think the law and the guidelines would be abided by, by what time?” Mr Currie asked.
NT Health’s senior director for mental health, alcohol and other drugs Cecelia Gore objected to the question, and said the guidelines were being adhered to “most of the time”.
Ms Gore went on to say it would be a “priority” for the department to make sure workers were familiar with the act.
She said following the inquest, there “can be no doubt that people will be aware” of the guidelines relating to volatile substance abuse.
Another issue flagged in the 2017 inquest was a lack of treatment programs which were available to help “angry and potentially violent petrol sniffers”.
Ms B attended and was ejected from BushMob on two occasions — the first in 2016 and the second in 2018 — for behavioural issues.
She took her own life four months after the second occasion.
Ms Gore said NT Health had been working with service providers to ensure they make “every effort to provide a place for someone as referred”.
She said in 2019, 14 people had been ejected from treatment facilities across the Northern Territory due to poor behaviour.
She said so far in 2020, nobody had been kicked out due to behavioural issues.
“There are always going to be times when a service, for the safety of its staff and other clients’ needs to hold a place of discretion around not continuing to hold someone,” Ms Gore said.
“We haven’t had that happen in the last period of time.”
Education bureaucrats take the stand
Shane Dexter, the general manager of quality school systems and support with Department of Education, said a review into the children’s cases found “practices and policies at the time were in some respects unsatisfactory”.
“Unfortunately, the department was not successful in supporting these children to come to school regularly or to get good outcomes and for that we are truly sorry,” he said.
Mr Dexter went on to say the review highlighted a number of issues — including poor record-keeping and interventions which were “almost entirely compliance driven as opposed to engagement driven”.
“One of the most significant findings of my review is that records that I expected to find were not located and that means they weren’t made or weren’t kept appropriately,” he said.
Mr Dexter said Ms B’s earlier school records showed her progress and it was an “alarming red flag” for him when the child’s results begun to decline, but there was no evidence of an intervention.
“We could have had better impact on Ms B’s life,” Mr Dexter told the court.
But Mr Dexter said since his review, the department had started to overhaul its record-keeping and was looking at more proactive ways to keep at-risk children engaged in school.
He said this included building stronger relationships with families, linking at-risk kids with support services and making efforts to understand why students were not engaging with school or certain classes.
Karen Broadfoot told the court the department she works for, Territory Families, had started to focus on “cumulative harm” since an audit on 2017.
She explained this meant not just looking at each reported incident in isolation, but looking at past reports as well.
All three executives also said the newly developed local multi-agency community child safety teams, set up in May, would deliver better coordinated responses between the departments.
The Electrical Trades Union says workers had previously raised concerns about safety on the site of a roof collapse at Curtin University yesterday, where a 23-year-old apprentice fell to his death and two others were injured.