French driver Grosjean leaves F1 team Haas


Romain Grosjean has announced he will be leaving Haas at the end of the season.

Grosjean, 34, has been with the American team since they entered Formula One in 2016.

It is expected that Haas are poised to announce an overhaul of their current driver line-up for 2021, with Grosjean’s teammate Kevin Magnussen also departing.

Frenchman Grosjean has made 175 starts in F1 but the concluding six races of the season are set to be his last in the sport.

“The last chapter is closed and the book is finished,” said Grosjean in a Facebook post ahead of this weekend’s Portuguese Grand Prix.

“I’ve been with Haas since day one. Five years during which we went through highs and lows, scored 110 points in 92 races, but the journey was worth it. I’ve learned a lot, improved to be a better driver as well as a better man.

“I hope I’ve also helped people in the team to improve themselves. This is probably my biggest pride, more than any of the crazy first races in 2016 or fourth at the Austrian GP 2018. I wish the team all the best for the future.”





Source link

Woman charged after driver stabbed in ‘bizarre’ road rage incident near Adelaide intersection


A woman has been arrested after allegedly getting out of her car near an Adelaide intersection and stabbing another driver in the stomach with a knife, in an incident captured on CCTV.

Police said an altercation broke out between the woman and the 53-year-old Hendon man just after 6:00pm on Tuesday.

The vehicles did not collide, but stopped close to the intersection of Trimmer Parade and Findon Road, at Findon in Adelaide’s north-west, according to police.

At that point, it is alleged, the woman got out of her car and used a knife to stab the man in the stomach as he was sitting in his driver’s seat.

He was taken to Flinders Medical Centre with minor injuries.

“It was just after 6:00pm yesterday, so peak-hour traffic,” Senior Constable Kimberley Broad told ABC Radio Adelaide.

“There was no collision, but once stopped at the intersection, the woman’s actually exited her car and stabbed the man in the stomach with a knife while he was seated in the driver’s seat.”

Police charged the woman, who is aged in her 30s and is from Adelaide’s north-west, with aggravated assault causing harm and granted her bail.

She will face the Port Adelaide Magistrates Court on December 17.

Police spoke “to a number of people at the scene at the time” but are asking anyone who witnessed or captured footage of the incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

In another incident on Tuesday night, emergency services attended the scene of a car rollover at Prospect.

Police and fire crews were called to Devonport Terrace to find the sedan flipped onto its roof.

The overturned car on Devonport Terrace, Prospect.(ABC News: Steven Love)



Source link

Formula 1 driver Lance Stroll reveals COVID-19 diagnosis forced him to pull out of Eifel Grand Prix


Canadian Formula 1 driver Lance Stroll has revealed he tested positive for COVID-19 after the Eifel Grand Prix in Germany earlier this month.

The 21-year-old said he had spent 10 days at home in self-isolation with mild symptoms, and was now clear and ready to race at the Portuguese Grand Prix this weekend.

“I was tested again on Monday this week and my results were negative,” the Racing Point driver said on Twitter.

“I feel in great shape and I can’t wait to be back with the team and to race in Portugal.”

Lance Stroll was replaced by Nico Hülkenberg at the Eifel Grand Prix.(Reuters: Bryn Lennon)

Stroll pulled out of the Eifel Grand Prix at the Nürburgring a day before the October 11 race because he felt unwell.

He was replaced at short notice by Germany’s Nico Hülkenberg, who started from the back of the grid and ended up finishing eighth.

Loading

Racing Point said at the time that Stroll, whose father Lawrence owns the Silverstone-based team, had felt unwell since the Russian Grand Prix on September 27.

Stroll is the second Formula 1 driver to have tested positive for coronavirus, the other being his Mexican teammate Sergio Perez, who missed two races in August.

Stroll is in ninth place in the drivers’ standings on 57 points.

The first practice at Algarve is scheduled for Friday.

ABC/wires



Source link

Lance Stroll: Racing Point driver tested positive for coronavirus after Eifel Grand Prix


Stroll is the second Racing Point driver to contract Covid-19 this year

Racing Point driver Lance Stroll says he tested positive for coronavirus after the Eifel Grand Prix weekend.

The Canadian – who did not race – was unwell and displayed a number of Covid-19 symptoms at the Nurburgring race but was not tested over the weekend.

Stroll said his symptoms were “pretty mild” and he went home on the morning of the 11 October race and took a test.

He had another test on Monday, before this weekend’s Portuguese Grand Prix, and returned a negative result.

“I feel in great shape and I can’t wait to be back with the team and to race in Portugal,” he added on social mediaexternal-link.

The situation poses a number of uncomfortable questions for bosses at the Racing Point team, which is owned by Stroll’s father, the Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll.

Team principal Otmar Szafnauer said at the Eifel Grand Prix that he was “confident” Stroll did not have coronavirus, despite having “flu-like symptoms”, an upset stomach and was “just not well in himself and couldn’t exercise”.

Stroll was tested on the Tuesday before the race weekend but not while in Germany.

BBC Sport pressed Szafnauer on the question of why he had not been tested again despite the fact that his symptoms were among those known to be potential indicators of coronavirus.

Szafnauer replied that Stroll had had some of the symptoms over the period between the Russian and Eifel Grands Prix but had tested negative “multiple times”.

He added that Stroll “doesn’t have classic Covid-19 symptoms”, even though fever, fatigue and diarrhoea are listed as three possible symptoms of Covid-19 on the website of the US government’s Centre for Disease Control.

The team did not immediately respond to BBC Sport’s requests for comment on Wednesday.

Stroll’s statement said: “I arrived at the Nurburgring after testing negative in the normal pre-race tests.

“On Saturday morning, I started to feel unwell and woke up with an upset stomach. I followed FIA (Covid) protocol and self-isolated in my motorhome and did not re-enter the paddock.

“I wasn’t fit to race, so I went home early Sunday morning. As I was still feeling under the weather, I took a Covid test on Sunday evening.

“The next day, the results came back positive, so I stayed at home isolating for the next 10 days.”

He said that he was now “feeling 100%”.

Stroll is the second Racing Point driver to contract Covid-19 this year. His team-mate Sergio Perez was forced to miss the two races at Silverstone in the summer after catching the virus following a trip home to Mexico to see his mother.





Source link

‘Stressed’ driver made wrong decision during street race that killed Bor Mabil, court told


A young Adelaide woman charged over a street race that killed the sister of Socceroos player Awer Mabil has suffered a physical attack and been ostracised by her community and church, the District Court has heard.

Bor Mabil was killed when the car in which she was a passenger crashed into a fence at Andrew’s Farm, in Adelaide’s north, in January 2019.

Alakiir Kelei Deng, who was driving the other car, faced the District Court today after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving and breaching the conditions of her learner’s licence.

The 20-year-old was driving at speed with three passengers inside the car and did not have a qualified supervising driver.

She also had a small amount of alcohol in her system, for which she was not charged.

Prosecutor Leah O’Donnell said Deng would have been driving about 100kph to keep ahead of the other car, driven by Akol Agui Akol, who was jailed over the fatal crash.

“Her vehicle is known to have collided with the curb in almost the same location that Mr Akol’s did … it was a result of that collision that Ms Mabil suffered traumatic head injuries and died at the scene,” she said.

Deng ‘remorseful’ for fatal street race

Ms O’Donnell said a psychological report gave little insight into the offending and the only explanation for the impromptu street race was youth, inexperience and poor decision-making.

The court heard that Deng was remorseful and not at high risk of reoffending.

Six victim impact statements were read in court, including from the victim’s mother.

The white Audi sedan in which Bor Mabil, sister of Socceroos player Awer Mabil, was killed.(ABC News)

“Every day since my child died, I cannot afford to spend 30 minutes without thinking and crying about the death.”

She also outlined the costs she had incurred since her daughter’s death, including for the funeral and to accommodate family and friends who had arrived to pay their respects.

Deng’s lawyer said he accepted the facts laid out by the prosecutor.

He said the accused encouraged Akol, but would not have known he was impaired by alcohol and MDMA.

“It was a poor decision based on the driving conditions at the time.

“She was under circumstances of some heightened stress. Noises in the car, flashing high beams, rapid approach of Mr Akol from behind.”

“She made the poor decision to try to remain in front rather than pull-over … as a result of her youth and inexperience and excitement in the moment.”

Accused abused over Facebook

Deng’s lawyer also outlined how Ms Deng had been outcast from her community and church since the incident.

“She received abuse on Facebook and people stopped visiting her home,” he said.

Judge Michael Boylan said he might order a home detention report but Deng should not “get her hopes up about that”.

She will be sentenced at a later date.



Source link

Meet the 35-year-old Melbourne tram driver lobbying to get Victorian Storm fans into ANZ


Twenty of those hours would be spent on the bus, with the group planning to leave AAMI Park in Melbourne at 4am on Sunday and spending just four hours at ANZ Stadium at Homebush before travelling home.

In their application for the exemption, the group outlined that all supporters will test for COVID-19 within two days prior to the trip and will be subject to regular temperature checks.

The group is hoping to make one stop at Barnawartha on the Victorian side of the border, depending on whether they are able to get a clearance from the Dan Andrews’ government, before driving to ANZ Stadium, where they would be seated in an isolated bay.

Mr Tomlin says he has been in contact with NSW’s Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant and Health Minister Brad Hazzard’s office to find out whether the idea would be possible.

Diehard fan and Melbourne tram driver Chris Tomlin, 35, is lobbying the NSW government to allow a “Storm fan bubble” across the border to visit ANZ Stadium on October 25.Credit:Joe Armao

“I’m realistic that this is a huge feat and it’s very unlikely it will happen,” he said. “But at least I won’t be thinking I should have been there, there’s something I should have done, there’s something I could have done. There’s no questions left unanswered,” he said.

“I’ve got to the highest level of government in NSW to make an authoritative decision … therefore I can just sit back and enjoy the game.”

Mr Tomlin said he has also been in touch with the NRL and ANZ Stadium officials.

The NRL said they would “require time to consult with its various stakeholders” if the plan was approved by the government.

“We don’t want to be jeopardising anyone health,” Mr Tomlin said. “If we got approval – I would honestly cry.”

Loading

Mr Tomlin has a coach company on standby for the trip.

Mr Tomlin is an administrator of the Storm Active Supporters fan Facebook group and said he has received expressions of interest from almost 400 fans.

“There are so many people keen to go,” he said. “I love when someone says to me you won’t get this off the ground, this isn’t going to happen you’re wasting your time because it just drives me so much more.”

A spokesman for NSW Health said the border restrictions with Victoria were a “necessary measure” to protect the community.

“NSW Health does not comment on individual cases due to privacy. However, in relation to requests for exemptions from quarantine to attend the NRL grand final, no such exemptions have been provided.”

Sport newsletter

Sports news, results and expert commentary delivered straight to your inbox each weekday. Sign up here.

Most Viewed in Sport

Loading



Source link

Primary school bus driver in WA’s South West accused of blindfolding and raping 14-year-old girl



A primary school bus driver in Western Australia’s South West region has been charged with allegedly blindfolding a 14-year-old girl, driving her somewhere and sexually assaulting her twice.

The principal of a primary school in WA’s South West has told parents sex charges laid against a bus driver did not relate to his work.

Cleve Maynard Pain has appeared in Bunbury Magistrates Court charged with assaulting a 14-year-old girl.

It is alleged the 51-year-old met the teenager online via an instant messaging app and arranged to meet her in person.

He allegedly met her earlier this month and blindfolded her before driving her to a location where he sexually assaulted her.

Police say he blindfolded her again and drove her back to where he collected her.

He has been charged with two counts of sexual penetration of a child over 13 and under 16, one count of intent to expose a child to indecent material and one count of possessing child exploitation material.

Parents urged to contact police with any concerns

The WA Education Department has said the man drove a bus for one public primary school, not a high school.

The ABC understands the principal of the primary school has written to parents saying “It is understood the charges do not relate to his duties as a bus driver”.

The principal said, “I understand this news may be concerning to families and as such, when available, I will provide as much information as I am able to.

“If you have concerns about your child, you may wish to contact WA Police directly”.

A replacement driver was arranged so there would not be an impact on the service.

Police say their investigation is ongoing.

Cleve Maynard Pain is due to appear in court again on October 26.



Source link

Allegedly unlicenced, unregistered and uninsured Adelaide driver crashes into car yard



An Adelaide man who allegedly crashed into a car yard after trying to avoid police road spikes while unlicenced, unregistered and uninsured has been arrested.

Police said a patrol tried to pull over a Commodore on West Avenue at Edinburgh just before midnight on Saturday.

But the vehicle allegedly failed to stop.

The police helicopter was called to track the car as it travelled south and officers installed road spikes on O G Road at Klemzig.

Police said the driver unsuccessfully attempted to avoid the spikes and the car lost control, crashing into a power pole and a car yard fence, and damaging a vehicle inside the yard.

Police said the male driver and a female passenger ran from the crash but were stopped nearby. 

Both were taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital by ambulance, with minor injuries.

The 30-year-old man from Davoren Park was arrested.

Police said he was expected to face charges of driving without due care while unregistered, uninsured and unlicensed and failing to stop for police. 

He also had two warrants for his arrest at the time, police said.

The man will appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday.



Source link

Porsche driver Richard Pusey granted bail as he fights charges linked to Eastern Freeway crash


Richard Pusey, the Porsche driver who pleaded not guilty to charges over a crash which killed four police officers on a Melbourne freeway, has been released on bail.

Mr Pusey has been in custody for close to six months, after he was arrested following the crash in April.

He faces 11 charges, including reckless conduct endangering life, possessing a drug of dependence and outraging public decency and was earlier this week committed to stand trial in Victoria’s County Court.

Mr Pusey may not face trial until late 2022 due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has caused major delays in the processing of cases in Victoria’s justice system.

Police had opposed Mr Pusey’s bail application, with a member of the Homicide Squad describing the 42-year-old as “a manipulative, controlling man” who “picks and chooses which laws he wishes to follow”.

Constable Glen Humphris, Senior Constable Kevin King, Leading Senior Constable Lynette Taylor and Constable Joshua Prestney were killed in the crash on April 22.(Supplied: Victoria Police)

On April 22, Mr Pusey was pulled over by Leading Senior Constable Lynette Taylor and First Constable Glen Humphris for allegedly driving his Porsche at 149 kilometres per hour on the Eastern Freeway.

Two other officers — Senior Constable Kevin King and Constable Joshua Prestney — arrived at the scene and were standing in an emergency lane when a truck veered into the lane, killing all four officers.

The truck’s driver, Mohinder Singh, has been charged over the officers’ deaths.

More to come.



Source link

Kyly Clarke boyfriend James Courtney, Supercars driver, Bathurst 2020, Michael Clarke, cricket news


Kyly Clarke has moved on from the demise of her seven-year marriage to former Australian Test cricket captain Michael Clarke, reigniting an old flame.

Clarke, who’s maiden name is Boldy, has reportedly sparked up a relationship with V8 Supercars driver James Courtney after she and the driver were spotted “kissing passionately” trackside at Bathurst on Thursday according to The Daily Telegraph.

Watch the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 LIVE with FOX SPORTS on Kayo. Every practice, qualifying session and race Live & Ad-Break Free during racing. New to Kayo? Get your free trial now & start streaming instantly >

It’s not the first time the pair have dated. They were an item 20 years ago after meeting through friends and family.

Courtney used to race at the same go-karting club as Kyly’s brother, Troy, when they were kids and the pair have known each other since she was 11.



Source link