A mum is accused of abandoning her newborn baby son in a dirty nappy on a stranger’s doorstep after her boyfriend broke up with her.
Melissa Kelley has been charged with unlawful desertion and child neglect after allegedly leaving her baby outside the home of the mother of her ex’s new partner in Deltona, Florida.
The 33-year-old allegedly told Patricia Tillman – who she had never met before – her former boyfriend Clayton Zinck would collect the child but he never arrived, according to the Daytona Beach News-Journal.
Ms Tillman told police Kelley turned up out of the blue on Sunday night, telling her not to touch the baby as he had scabies.
The mum is said to have also left an empty bottle and two dirty towels, as well as an opened can of baby formula, before fleeing.
Fox 35 reports the bewildered Ms Tilman then called 911, telling the call handler: “My daughter is dating her ex-boyfriend, or whatever, and she turned back and just left her baby.
“She just pushed the baby in the door and walked away.
“I don’t know her name. I have no idea who she is.”
The alleged incident is said to have taken place around 10.39pm.
Home security footage appears to show Kelley with her baby in a carrier, ringing the doorbell before walking away.
A police report reportedly states Mr Zinck’s parents were contacted but refused to collect the baby or wake up their son.
Volusia County authorities say Kelley texted her family: “Please don’t make me throw this baby in the trash.”
The accused is said to have become suicidal after the break-up with Mr Zinck, threatening to kill herself with drugs.
Officers traced the mum’s mobile phone and found her hiding in a wooded area in Astor, in Lake County, around 30 minutes away.
She was arrested, with the baby now in the care of Department of Children and Families.
The controversial koala bill that previously threatened to split the NSW Coalition has been scrapped.
Just months ago, the policy jeopardised the unity of the Coalition when Nationals Leader John Barilaro threatened to move to the crossbench, claiming the new protections went “too far” in favour of koalas.
Rather than have the bill examined by a parliamentary inquiry, the Government made the snap decision tonight to dump the legislation altogether.
This follows more than six months of negotiations between Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Mr Barilaro to find a balance between koala protection and land rights.
During debate in the Upper House, a vote was put forward to refer the koala bill to a committee which triggers a parliamentary inquiry.
Liberal MP Catherine Cusack crossed the floor and voted with Labor, the Greens, the Animal Justice Party and Independent Justin Field in favour of the inquiry.
Ms Cusack’s vote was the decider, leaving the Liberals, Nationals, Fred Nile and One Nation one vote short.
The ABC understands Ms Berejiklian personally tried to persuade Ms Cusack from voting against the Government, but ultimately failed.
Ms Cusack was subsequently sacked as parliamentary secretary.
“Following her decision today to move a non-Government amendment to a Government bill, I have made the decision to immediately remove Ms Catherine Cusack as a Parliamentary Secretary,” Ms Berejiklian said in a statement.
Just months ago, Ms Cusack was a vocal supporter of the Premier when Mr Barilaro publicly declared he would not support Government legislation if the koala bill proceeded.
Ms Cusack accused Mr Barilaro of treating Ms Berejiklian with “extreme contempt” and said his “whole strategy is 100 per cent bullying”.
The Nationals leader eventually backed down when Ms Berejiklian offered an ultimatum — remain in the Government, or give up your ministerial portfolios to sit on the crossbench.
With the bill now dead in the water, the Government will revert to its former policy on land management under the State Environmental Planning Policy despite the fact it has already expired.
“In the new year we will develop a policy to protect koalas and the interests of farmers,” the Premier said.
It’s understood there is now tension between the Premier and Planning Minister Rob Stokes, who had carriage of the now failed bill.
He said the old rules were “rudimentary” and needed modernising.
The NSW Government will now end 2020 back at square one on an issue that threatened to tear it apart just months ago.
An arbitration court in the Sverdlovsk region has fined the Ural Instrument Making Plant 500,000 rubles ($6,500) for manufacturing faulty equipment after federal regulators discovered violations of licensing requirements in the production, maintenance, and circulation of medical devices.
Women passengers flying from Qatar were subjected to invasive searches after a premature baby was found abandoned in an airport bathroom, in an incident labelled “offensive” and “grossly inappropriate” by Australia’s government.Airport officials have not denied the incident, saying women passengers “were asked to assist” with inquiries to locate the mother of the baby, who they say is still alive. Qatari authorities have launched an appeal to trace the infant’s family.Security agents escorted…
The Melbourne Cup’s luckiest punter has revealed he was brushed by the woman he was with moments before realising he had won nearly $800,000.
Kenny was on a date with a high school friend at Crown Casino during the Melbourne Cup races on Tuesday.
In the aftermath of the main event’s stewards inquiry — which saw Master of Reality demoted from second to fourth for impeding eventual third-place finisher Il Paradiso — Kenny wasn’t aware he had won $793,000 from a $10 bet, thinking initially he had picked the correct top four horses but in the wrong order.
But the protest — which also saw Prince of Arran bumped up from third to second — was a godsend.
Speaking to former AFL stars Garry Lyon and Tim Watson on SEN Breakfast today, Kenny explained minutes after the race that stops a nation, his date brutally told him she wasn’t interested and was eager to catch the next train home.
READ: Biggest betting wins on Cup day
“I was completely oblivious. The girl I was out with said, ‘Did you win?’ and I said, ‘Oh, I put those horses, but I don’t know, I’ll check later’,” Kenny said.
“I had another couple of drinks … and she pretty much told me, ‘Listen, I don’t really feel it. You know, this isn’t going to go anywhere. I want to get the five o’clock train’ and I said,‘Ah well, no worries, thanks for being honest’.
“I thought at least the day’s not over, I’ll open up the Sportsbet account, because there’s still a couple of races to go in the Majors. I open up the account and I suddenly started screaming.
“I’m seeing all these numbers mate and I’m like speechless, I’m gasping. I’m like, ‘Oh my effing god, oh my god’ and everyone at the restaurant is looking at me like, ‘What’s wrong with this clown?’”
The Melbourne-based carpenter was not surprised by the date’s reaction when his mammoth winnings were unveiled.
“She said, ‘Sit down, what are you doing, you’re embarrassing me’ and I’ve gone, ‘Can you just look at this for me?’ and then she started screaming,” Kenny laughed.
“The five o’clock train turned into a seven o’clock train. She kept going to the bar and getting more drinks.
“I paid for lunch, I paid for all the drinks. We had a bit of a laugh about it. She was ringing her girlfriends, she was ringing her old man as well.”
Kenny admitted to gambling heavily in the past, but was adamant he would put his new-found fortune to good use.
“I’m a gambler, I always have been. My family gambles, they always have and always will. I like a punt, you know. I know you’re not going to believe this, but I’ve been one number off Lotto six times,” Kenny said.
“I went back to the Crown after the date got on the train, had a couple of drinks, took a taxi home. I haven’t spent a cent.
“I’m going to keep my job and I’m going to go back to work. I’m going to buy a house on the Gold Coast and happy days.”
Kenny will be attending Oaks Day on Thursday afternoon, no doubt hoping for a similar turn of fate.
Rex is based at Mascot in Sydney, and is the nation’s largest regional network aside from QantasLink.
Rex deputy chairman and former Nationals MP John Sharpalso flagged other routes the airline could fly into.
“We think we can take up the slack in routes that we compete currently against Virgin, like Albury and Mildura, and also routes that Virgin’s already abandoned some time ago in Western Australia, like Perth to Geraldton,” Mr Sharp said.
“As part of our return of the support that our company’s received from the Australian Government, we are prepared to operate services to communities where we don’t see any profit,” Mr Sharp said.
‘More planes in the air’
Speaking at a press conference in Wagga Wagga today, Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack would not say if the Government would offer support to Rex should they take over the regional routes, saying they would have those discussions in the future.
Instead, he called on the premiers to ease the border restrictions.
Mr McCormack said he felt that in many cases the border restrictions were for political purposes, but they were restricting business, aviation, and “life as we know it”.
“We want to make sure that there are more planes in the air — planes in the air, jobs on the ground,” he said.
“Let’s get on, open those borders up, allow tourism to be what it needs to be, allow Australians to travel freely around their own country and get more planes flying interstate, that is so important.
However, Mr Sharp said opening borders prematurely could cause more harm to the aviation and tourism industries.
“It’s a fine judgment by governments, but one thing they do need to bear in mind is that a premature … lifting of border closures could result in another wave, and that’s going to do us a lot more harm,” he said.
Regional mayor commends Rex
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council Mayor Peta Pinson confirmed Rex Airlines had been in contact.
“I commend Rex for their forward thinking,” Cr Pinson said.
“Disappointed in Virgin — a little bit of heads up would have been nice to receive from them.”
She said it would make “perfect sense” for Rex to pick up the route.
“We’re a growing region … our commercial activity is high, we are a low-transmission area — we’ve had no COVID cases for many months now,” Cr Pinson said.
“They [Rex] will be well rewarded by our community, I would imagine.
The mayor said the council had received a lot of interest from other carriers afterVirgin Airlines announced last week it was withdrawing its services.
“While some airlines are contracting, an airline is looking at their opportunities too,” she said.
Plastic bags filled with dog poo are being dumped by owners with increasing frequency across Adelaide’s recreation parks, leaving it to unimpressed volunteers to collect the waste.
An increasing number of park visitors in are leaving bags of dog poo behind
Volunteers are calling for more bins to be made accessible for park users
The SA Government maintains users should adhere to the “leave no trace” principle and warns fines apply for littering
From Belair National Park to Mount Osmond and Brownhill Creek, the owners of excited dogs have been dutifully bagging their pets’ faeces, but leaving the packages on the ground, on posts, or even hanging in trees.
“Sometimes I think they intend to pick it up on their way back, but they often come back on a different route, and sometimes they actually hang them in trees,” Friends of Mt Osmond Conservation Park secretary Christine James said.
She said there had been up to three times more bags dumped in the park since coronavirus restrictions came into effect earlier this year, leaving more people seeking outdoor exercise.
Leavings up in Brownhill Creek
Brownhill Creek Association Community Liaison Officer Ron Bellchambers said there had been a 20 per cent increase in the number of poo bags in the popular park.
“Whether they forget to collect their poo bag or can’t be bothered is an interesting question,” he said.