Eleven Chinese miners saved after two-week ordeal, as rescuers race to find remaining ten


Rescuers in east China on Sunday pulled 11 miners from hundreds of metres underground where they had been trapped for two weeks, state media reported, as the race to locate the remaining 10 intensified.

The miners were brought to the surface starting from around 11 am Sunday local time, state broadcaster CCTV reported – a major breakthrough for a rescue operation that has captivated the nation. 

One miner was in “extremely weak physical condition” and rushed to hospital, CCTV said. 

The 11 miners were rescued after the air ventilator shaft was cleared, the official state news agency Xinhua reported, citing the operation’s command centre.

A further ten remain unaccounted for. 

In this photo released by Xinhua News Agency, rescuers carry a trapped miner to an ambulance in Qixia City in east China’s Shandong Province on Sunday.

AAP

Specialist teams have been battling difficult conditions since an explosion at the Hushan mine in Shandong province trapped the miners underground amid rising waters on 10 January. 

The explosion occurred in a ventilator shaft, causing a blockage that damaged the cable car. 

On Sunday morning the huge obstacles suddenly fell to the bottom of the shaft, allowing the operation to take a big step forward, rescue expert Du Bingjian said. 

“After the obstacles fell to the bottom of the shaft, the rescue team started to bring up the miners and suspended the drilling work,” Du told the Global Times.

“It is currently unclear when the rescuers will reach the Sixth Central Section where the missing miners are believed to be.” 

In this photo released by Xinhua News Agency, rescuers work at the site of a gold mine that suffered an explosion in Shandong Province on 12 January.

In this photo released by Xinhua News Agency, rescuers work at the site of a gold mine that suffered an explosion in Shandong Province on 12 January.

AAP

Lifeline shafts

State broadcaster footage on Sunday showed a small elevator carriage lifted to the surface, accompanied by rescue workers. A masked man, who appeared unable to stand, was carried out.

Later footage showed emergency workers lifting out other miners, who wore black shades to protect their eyes from the light. One appeared to be holding his hands as if praying. 

Contact was first established a week ago with a group of 11 miners trapped in a section of the mine around 580 metres below the surface.

One of them was seriously injured in the initial explosion and died after falling into a coma.

In this photo released by China's Xinhua News Agency, rescuers work at the site of the gold mine that suffered an explosion in Qixia on Wednesday, 13 January.

In this photo released by China’s Xinhua News Agency, rescuers work at the site of the gold mine that suffered an explosion in Qixia on Wednesday, 13 January.

AAP

Another miner was found alive by rescuers as they attempted to reach the group.

Rescue teams have been lowering food, medicine and other supplies to the group through several lifeline shafts drilled into the rock. 

State media reported Friday that the health of the miners had been gradually returning to a “normal state” after regular deliveries of food.

Life detectors and nutrient solutions have been lowered to other parts of the mine in the hope of reaching those still missing.

In December, 23 workers died after becoming stuck underground in the southwestern city of Chongqing.

Thank you for dropping in to My Local Pages and checking this news article about national news published as “Eleven Chinese miners saved after two-week ordeal, as rescuers race to find remaining ten”. This article is shared by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our national news services.

#Eleven #Chinese #miners #saved #twoweek #ordeal #rescuers #race #find #remaining #ten



Source link

Eleven US Senators Vow to Challenge Electoral College Results Next Week, Report Says



US

Get short URL

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Eleven US Senate Republicans are planning to object to the Electoral College results of the November presidential election next week when Congress will meet in a joint session to ratify President-elect Joe Biden’s victory, The Hill reported on Saturday.

“Congress should immediately appoint an Electoral Commission, with full investigatory and fact-finding authority, to conduct an emergency 10-day audit of the election returns in the disputed states,” a group of 11 senators said in a joint statement, as quoted by the media outlet.

Seven incumbent and four elected members of the upper house have spoken in favor of individual states assessing the commission’s findings and, if necessary, holding a special legislative session to certify the adjusted election results.

“Accordingly, we intend to vote on Jan. 6 to reject the electors from disputed states as not ‘regularly given’ and ‘lawfully certified’ (the statutory requisite), unless and until that emergency 10-day audit is completed,” they added.

Senators Ted Cruz, Ron Johnson, John Kennedy and Marsha Blackburn are among the signatories.

Biden was confirmed the winner of the November presidential election by the Electoral College on December 14 after all 50 states officially certified the voting results. According to official results, Biden collected 306 electoral votes as opposed to 232 votes cast for incumbent US President Donald Trump. Trump, however, has refused to concede, alleging voter fraud, despite his campaign losing nearly all of some 60 legal challenges filed within the past month.


©
AP Photo / Charlie Neibergall

A member of Iowa’s Electoral College signs the Certificate of Vote of Electors for the State of Iowa, Monday, Dec. 14, 2020, at the Statehouse in Des Moines, Iowa

The US Congress will meet in the joint session on January 6 to confirm the Electoral College votes, with Vice President Mike Pence presiding over the session to count the votes from each state. Biden’s inauguration is scheduled for January 20.





Source link

Eleven people are injured in mass shooting at Mississippi biker bar


Eleven people are injured in mass shooting at Mississippi biker bar

  • Eleven people have been left wounded in a mass shooting that took place at 1.30am Sunday at a rural Grenada, Mississippi biker bar 
  • The victims were taken to hospitals in Grenada, Winona, Greenwood and Jackson for their gunshot wounds and some have already been released
  • No deaths have been reported in the incident 
  • Police Chief George Douglas said his officers found firearms and stolen property inside the club
  • The shooting remains under investigation and the motive is not known 

Eleven people have been left wounded in a mass shooting that took place overnight at a rural Mississippi biker bar.  

Grenada police are investigating the shooting that broke out at SMS biker club around 1.30am on Sunday.

The victims were taken to hospitals in Grenada, Winona, Greenwood and Jackson for their gunshot wounds but officers say they are still looking for more wounded victims who may have left the scene before cops arrived. 

Eleven people have been left wounded in a mass shooting that took place at 1.30am Sunday at a rural Grenada, Mississippi biker bar.  The victims were taken to hospitals in Grenada, Winona, Greenwood and Jackson for their gunshot wounds but officers say they are still looking for more wounded victims. Some were treated at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (above)

Some of the hospitalized victims have already been treated and released, according to the Grenada Star

No deaths have been reported in the incident.

Police Chief George Douglas said his officers found firearms and stolen property inside the club.

Cops have not arrested anyone yet in connection to the shooting and are still looking for the motive behind the attack.

The shooting remains under investigation as of Sunday afternoon.

Advertisement



Source link

QAFL expands to eleven clubs.


AFL Queensland has today announced that the QAFL competition will expand to 11 teams in 2021, with the Noosa Tigers and the newly established Redland Victoria Point Sharks joining the competition.

After appearing in the last four Division 1 Hart Sport Cup Grand Finals and being crowned back to back premiers in 2019 and 2020, Noosa have positioned themselves extremely well to make a seamless transition into the State’s premier men’s competition.

On hand at the Noosa foreshore today for the announcement, the new Head of AFL Queensland, Trisha Squires, said the addition of two new clubs would only further strengthen the QAFL competition.

“It’s fantastic that we have clubs aspiring to play at the highest possible level and Noosa are testament to that,” Ms. Squires said.

“Noosa have worked diligently for several years to develop a playing list capable of competing at the highest level.

“Their promotion creates a clear male youth talent pathway at the northern end of the Sunshine Coast as well as opening up pathway opportunities for those living in the Fraser Coast and Wide Bay regions,” Ms Squires added.  

Noosa president, Rod Purves, said the club’s elevation to QAFL was the result of a lot of hard work by many over a sustained period.

“We have been building towards this step for several years now and it’s incredibly rewarding for the hard work of so many volunteers at the club.

“We have tremendous community support and this step up will further enhance our standing locally,” Mr Purves said.

Having competed in the NEAFL competition since 2011, the Redland Bombers have joined forces with the Victoria Point Sharks to form the Redland-Victoria Point Sharks.

“We certainly applaud both the Redland Bombers and the Victoria Point Sharks for coming together to ensure there is an opportunity for players in the Redland Coast region to play State League footy.” Ms. Squires said.

“Mergers are never easy, even more so in such a short period of time, however both clubs have had a strong relationship in recent times and have put their region first and we are extremely confident they will become a club the Redland Coast community embraces,” Ms. Squires added.

Redland-Victoria Point Sharks spokesman, Nic Aldridge said that with a population base of 160,000 both clubs were committed to providing a talent pathway for those living in the Redland Coast shire.

“As clubs we have a role to play in our local community in providing opportunities for our aspiring talent and strong junior base, and this move certainly achieves that objective.

“Our playing list is excited at the challenge and opportunity that playing in the QAFL presents,” Mr Aldridge said.





Source link

Qld election 2020 LIVE updates: Poll Call day eleven


They strongly reject the claims, saying they can reduce spending while not impacting jobs and growth, a plan the Prime Minister Scott Morrison hailed as “ambitious” while in Queensland this week.

Labor didn’t have a clear run on Friday either, forced to publicly reject in the strongest terms attack ads put around by Clive Palmer that they are planning to reintroduce a death tax.

Labor has written to Facebook and Twitter to demand the ads be taken down, while the party has branded Mr Palmer a “liar” over the incident.

The government was also caught flat-footed by questions from Brisbane Times at the media conference today over a planning expert who has referred their signature Cross River Rail development to the Auditor General, saying it needs urgent changes.

Premier Annatsacia Palsszcuk and Transport Minister Mark Bailey did not know the $5.4 billion project had been referred.

The Greens can smell blood in the water in the electorate of South Brisbane, with candidate Amy MacMahon declaring they’re “on track to win” in the seat, definitively ditching the underdog tag.

Incumbent Labor MP Jackie Trad has reluctantly picked it up, walking out on a media interview on Friday when asked questions again about whether she would feature in the front bench of a re-elected Labor government.

The parties will again campaign in the southeast tomorrow, with voters able to start casting ballots from Monday.

Join us then when Poll Call returns, and until then, have a great weekend.



Source link