1. A Swiss tourist visited Disneyland Paris in 2019 and decided it would be a good idea to take LSD. He fell into a lake. When he didn’t resurface, his girlfriend reported it to park staff and they launched a manhunt. The search included 10 policemen, 30 firefighters, 80 Disneyland employees, a helicopter, and a thermal camera, according to The Washington Post. The following morning, a driver in a nearby town came across a naked man walking along the road. The driver returned the man to Disneyland Paris, where he was identified as the missing person. The couple were then arrested for narcotics use but were eventually let go with a citation, according to Le Parisien. Worst. Trip. Ever. Picture: Getty
2. At an a airport in Mongolia in April last year, a 66-year-old Chinese woman reportedly threw six coins at the jet engine when she was boarding the plane, according to the Daily Mail. After being removed from the aircraft, she told authorities she was praying for a safe flight. Concerned the rogue coins could damage the engine, passengers were transferred to a new plane, delaying them for two hours. Picture: Getty
3. Last year a man on a Pakistan International Airlines flight went to use the bathroom while the plane was still on the tarmac. Instead, he opened the emergency exit door, activating the emergency exit slide. All 40 passengers on the plane were evacuated and the flight was delayed seven hours. Can you imagine the dirty looks he would have been getting at the baggage carousel at the other end. Picture: Getty
4. In 2015 Simon Turner hiked to the top of the Marcum Crater in Ambrym, Vanuatu and roasted a marshmallow in a 2,000-degree lava pit. While wearing thongs. Thankfully for Simon it turned out okay. He retained his eyebrows and the video of him doing it got a bunch of hits on YouTube. Picture: YouTube
5. In 2015 two men were hiking in the Ural Mountains of Russia and happened upon a grenade with the pin pulled. Most people would back away slowly or run like crazy. Not these daredevils! They decided to take a selfie with it. They blew themselves up. (But incredibly, their smartphone survived). Picture: Getty
6. A few years ago a bunch of (predominantly British) tourists were involved in a “food poisoning scam” that involved claiming compensation from hotels for bogus illnesses. The scam was prevalent in Spain and other European countries. But it didn’t pay off for everyone. One couple (who allegedly suffered stomach cramps and severe diarrhoea), were busted when it was discovered they had enjoyed 109 alcoholic drinks during their short holiday. Picture: Getty
7. This has to be one of the most cringe-worthy videos of all time. A tourist tries to take a selfie in the middle of a sculptural installation (at 14th Factory in California), loses her balance and knocks the pillars over in a domino effect. This caused $200,000 worth of damage to the artwork. Picture: LiveLeak
8. We’ve all been there. You’re at the airport and the announcement comes over the PA that your flight has been delayed. You feel frustrated and annoyed. It’s something many of us can relate to. What we probably can’t relate to is being so annoyed that you set your own luggage on fire in protest. But that’s exactly what one fellow did in the middle of the airport when his 7am flight from Islamabad International Airport was delayed in 2018. There’s even video of it.
9. “You know what would be funny?” said the woman to her partner. “If we put our child in this 800-year-old sarcophagus at the Prittlewell Priory Museum in Southend, England for a photo-op”. Thinking a photo of your kid in an old coffin is going to make strong Instagram content is already a bit off, but it really comes unstuck when a chunk of the priceless coffin breaks off. The family quickly left without notifying staff, but were later caught on CCTV footage.