6 people fined over large gathering on Lazarus Island amid COVID-19 outbreak


SINGAPORE: Six people who took part in a gathering of 12 people on Lazarus Island were fined S$3,000 each on Thursday (Nov 26) for breaking COVID-19 laws.

The six pleaded guilty to a charge of meeting others for a non-permitted purpose and without reasonable excuse under the COVID-19 regulations.

They are: British nationals William Edwin Dunford, 32, Richard Henri Lagesse, 31, Lowri Mair Jeffs, 31, Zoe Louise Cronk, 30, Jeff Richard Alexander, 32, and 29-year-old Singaporean Natalie Joanna Sarkies.

Co-accused Paul Jonathon Gold, 32, was the first to plead guilty and was fined S$3,000 in October. 

At 11am on Aug 8, the group took a ferry to St John’s Island, before walking to the beach at Lazarus Island. They spent the day there before taking a ferry back to mainland Singapore at about 6pm.

Sarkies posted photos of the trip on Instagram featuring all 12 accused, and the photos were reported on various media platforms, “attracting public attention and causing public alarm”, said the prosecutor.

He asked for a fine of S$3,000 for all six who pleaded guilty on Thursday, saying that Gold had been fined the same amount.

Defence lawyer Shafiuddin Ong originally represented all six but was discharged on Thursday by Sarkies, Lagesse and Cronk.

Speaking for Dunford, Jeffs and Alexander, he said his clients have realised the folly of their conduct and regret the incident.

He said the cases cited by the prosecutor occurred during the “circuit breaker” period while this gathering occurred during Phase 2 of Singapore’s reopening. He asked for fines of S$2,500 each.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Timotheus Koh responded that just because the incident occurred during Phase 2 did not translate to a lower sentence as there is no correlation between the easing of safe-distancing measures and the sentence that should be imposed.

He added that the accused breached measures that were put in place to guard against a second wave of COVID-19 infections, and the court should not endorse the society letting down its guard.

In mitigation, Sarkies said: “I take full responsibility for the actions that I have done and I would like to express my deep regret and remorse, especially during these tough times.”

Lagesse said he was extremely sorry for what they did and regrets his actions, saying it “certainly won’t happen again”.

Cronk also apologised, saying: “I deeply regret our actions of that day and I sincerely apologise for it and I can confirm it definitely will not be happening again.”

For breaching a COVID-19 regulation, the accused could have been jailed for up to six months, fined up to S$10,000 or both.

The cases for the remaining five accused are pending: Joshua Adam Roth, Edward John Joseph Lee-Bull, Helen Ann Sullivan, James Riby Oram Trimming and Luong Thi Thu Ha.



Source link

West Yorkshire hair salon owner fined £27,000 after breaking lockdown rules | UK News



The owner of a hairdresser has been issued with fines totalling £27,000 after staying open during the second lockdown.

Kirklees Council in West Yorkshire said Quinn Blakey Hairdressing in Oakenshaw was “selfish and irresponsible” for remaining open despite restrictions remaining in place.

The council said the hair salon had received a notice to close and a fixed penalty notice on 9 November as its first warning – and had subsequently been issued fines for every day it continued trading.

A spokeswoman said the business received a £1,000 fine on 9 November, a £2,000 fine on 12 November, a £4,000 fine on 21 November and two £10,000 fines on the 23rd and 24th of this month.

She added that the council was now “exploring alternative action”.

The owner of the salon posted on Instagram on the first day of the national restrictions, writing that despite the lockdown she still had bills to pay.

She wrote: “LOCKDOWN DAY 1. I earned this weeks rent today, not sure where I would be pulling that money from given the government want self employed business people to wait SIX WEEKS for a payment.

“I still have a mortgage, bills, childcare fees, food, car, insurance etc not to mention the overheads for the shop.

“If we give up now I can categorically guarantee your small businesses will not survive this lockdown – given it’s not going to be 4 weeks.

“Like I said before this is more than just having a business and an income, this is my children’s future and that’s more important to me than anything ❤️.”

Several videos and photos have been posted on the Instagram page showing the owner talking to police officers and members of the council through the shop’s locked door.

In one video, she says that she does “not consent” to being fined and that she is “standing under common law”.

Another post shows a video of a police car outside her salon, captioned: “Police stalking me now.”

Her latest caption – again in response to police parked outside her business – tells her 6,000-plus followers that “this is what your tax paying money goes towards”, adding: “Sitting outside my business whilst I’m LAWFULLY earning a living.”

In a statement, the council spokeswoman said local authorities understood how difficult it has been for businesses and that it would continue to support them during this “devastating period” – but added that no one was exempt from the COVID-19 guidance.

She said: “The law set by the government is there so we can bring infection rates down, ease pressure on our health services and save lives.

“But it only works if we all stick to it and realise that no one is above the law.

“Frankly, the actions taken by this business are selfish and irresponsible.

“We will not hesitate to take action on anyone who breaches the rules that are in place to keep us all safe.

“Repeated breaches of COVID-19 regulations result in ever-increasing fines up to £10,000 and eventually prosecution.”

The council said Kirklees has the fifth highest rate of infection in the UK, with 135 people admitted to hospital last week and 25 virus-related deaths.

Quinn Blakey Hairdressing has been contacted for comment.



Source link

Sydney Sixers fined, administration error, Hayley Silver-Holmes


The Sydney Sixers have been fined $25,000 following an “administration error” during their WBBL match against the Melbourne Renegades on Saturday evening.

Despite not being in the club’s official 15-player squad, the Sixers listed pace bowler Hayley Silver-Holmes on their team sheet for the T20 match at North Sydney Oval.

Upon realising their mistake, the Sixers self-reported the error and sidelined Silver-Holmes, who did not bat or field during the encounter.

The Sixers appeared before Cricket Australia’s Senior Conduct Commissioner Alan Sullivan QC on Sunday, and were subsequently fined $25,000 of which $15,000 was suspended for 12 months.

Watch The WBBL Finals Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your free trial now & start streaming instantly >

“In hearing the matter, Mr Sullivan acknowledged the seriousness of the breach, but also acknowledged the fact the Sixers had self-reported and moved swiftly to remove Silver-Holmes from the match after realising the error,” the WBBL said in a statement.

“The maximum penalty of $50,000 and/or further sanctions were not deemed appropriate given the nature of the breach and the fact Sixers lost the match and adversely impacted their Net Run Rate.”

READ MORE: Healy goes completely nuts in WBBL blitz

Sydney Sixers General Manager Jodie Hawkins confirmed the club had accepted the sanction.

“We made a regrettable administrative error for which there are understandably stringent rules,” Hawkins said in a statement.

“We were given a fair opportunity to present our case in the hearing and accept the findings and sanction.

“As a club we will learn from this and put processes in place for the future.”

CA’s Head of Big Bash Leagues Alistair Dobson commended the Sixers for their swift action and co-operation in addressing the error.

“We echo Alan Sullivan QC’s praise for the Sixers’ self-reporting and actions undertaken to minimise the impact of the breach on last night’s match,” Dobson said in a statement.

Despite a classy half-century from wicketkeeper Alyssa Healy, the Sixers lost Saturday evening’s match by six wickets.



Source link

Inland Steel Products fined in Saskatchewan workplace death


A Saskatchewan company has been fined $126,000 in a 2018 workplace death.

On Oct. 19, 2018, machinery being serviced in the RM of Corman Park contacted a power line, resulting in the death of a worker.

Read more:
Nutrien fined $150,000 for workplace injury at Rocanville mine mill

Inland Steel Products was charged with failing to ensure the worker was trained in all matters necessary to protect their health and safety, resulting in the death of a worker.

On Nov. 4, the company pleaded guilty in Saskatoon provincial court to the charge under the province’s Occupational Health and Safety Regulations.

The company was fined $90,000 along with a $36,000 surcharge.

Story continues below advertisement










Weyburn grieving after 2 SaskPower employees die in workplace incident


Weyburn grieving after 2 SaskPower employees die in workplace incident – Oct 9, 2020




© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Queensland’s Jai Arrow fined for James Tedesco incident during State of Origin III win over NSW


Queensland forward Jai Arrow has been fined for slamming an already concussed New South Wales captain James Tedesco to the ground during last night’s State of Origin III.

Tedesco sustained a head knock when he collected the knee of Josh Papalii on a kick return midway through the first half of the Maroons’ series-deciding victory at Brisbane’s Lang Park.

Arrow then picked up Tedesco — who was lying on the ground — and shook the Blues fullback before realising he was concussed and signalling for the trainer.

Tedesco failed a head injury assessment (HIA) and did not return to the match. Arrow apologised to Tedesco after the match.

The NRL match review committee handed Arrow a grade-one contrary conduct charge and a $750 fine, which can be reduced to $550 if he enters an early guilt plea.

Arrow, speaking after the Maroons’ 20-14 win, said he did not know Tedesco was hurt when he manhandled the Blues skipper.

“I just want to come out and say at first I was fired up, and I am honestly not a grub like that,” he said.

“I didn’t know he was knocked out … If you watch the footage I go back and put my hand up.

“In the heat of the moment, a decider at Suncorp [Lang Park], of course I am out there to try and hurt people.

“But not intentionally when they are in a bad way.”

Tedesco (right) did not return to the match after failing an HIA.(AAP: Darren England)

Blues coach Brad Fittler was unimpressed, telling his post-match media conference Arrow had shown a “lack of respect”.

“I’m sure he’d (Arrow) learn from that,” Fittler said.

Fittler’s comments drew a strong rebuke from his Maroons counterpart Wayne Bennett, who said there had been nothing sinister in the incident.

“Brad’s kidding himself … just watch it,” Bennett said.

“That was an instinct moment … [Arrow] didn’t realise Papalii’s knee had gone into [Tedesco’s] head.”

Blues halfback Nathan Cleary said he was disappointed with the way the match officials reacted to the incident.

While Arrow insisted he was unaware Tedesco was concussed, Cleary felt referee Gerard Sutton should have intervened.

“I kind of brought it up to the ref after it,” he said.

“I was like, ‘That’s not really on,’ especially when the guy’s knocked out cold on the ground.

Concussion was a sensitive topic during the State of Origin series following the Blues’ decision to allow Boyd Cordner to return to the field after sustaining a head knock in the opening match in Adelaide.

The New South Wales Rugby League received a formal warning from the NRL after an investigation into the HIA on Cordner found he should not have cleared concussion protocols.

AAP/ABC



Source link

Sydney’s Odyssey Bar Restaurant fined $10,000 for ‘multiple dancefloors’ amid coronavirus restrictions


A bar and restaurant in Sydney’s inner-west has been slapped with a $10,000 fine after video emerged of large groups mingling and dancing throughout the venue.

CCTV from Odyssey Bar Restaurant in Leichhardt revealed the infringements, which remain prohibited across the state under coronavirus restrictions.

It came as NSW recorded zero local cases of coronavirus among more than 20,000 swabs taken in the 24 hours to 8:00pm yesterday.

It is the fourth consecutive day no new locally acquired infections have been found.

Four cases were found in hotel quarantine.

Liquor & Gaming director of compliance Dimitri Argeres said a lack of social distancing led to two $5,000 fines being issued.

“It’s hard to fathom how staff could have failed to notice and stop things getting out of hand as patrons had in effect created multiple dancefloors,” Mr Argeres said.

Mr Argeres said it was unfathomable that staff didn’t notice the breaches.(Supplied.)

Inspectors said they found 94 breaches of coronavirus restrictions when they visited more than 70 hospitality venues in Sydney last Friday.

Mr Argeres said of the 74 hospitality venues inspected, 13 were not registered as COVID-safe, 39 did not have a current safety plan, 20 had issues with record keeping, seven were not properly adhering to social distancing, two had hygiene issues and 13 had no COVID-19 safety marshal.

“Such a high level of breaches is simply unacceptable and puts at risk all the hard work in containing the spread of COVID-19,” he said.

Mr Argeres said one venue had not registered as COVID-safe, had no safety plan, had not recorded any patron details since July, had no conditions of entry and had not spaced seating and tables to allow for physical distancing.

“Another venue had no safety plan and no sign-in register or records kept at all — and perhaps most concerningly, did not understand any of the Public Health Order requirements when questioned by inspectors,” Mr Argeres said.

A team of 30 inspectors from the NSW Department of Customer Service are embarking on a second safety blitz across Sydney’s south-west today.

Liquor & Gaming NSW inspectors will also be visiting pubs and clubs screening the second State of Origin rugby league game tonight to check for COVID-19 compliance.

But the degree of violations were not reflected in other industries: out of the 47 hair and beauty salons inspected by SafeWork NSW, just one warning letter was issued.

NSW Fair Trading found all 79 retail shops inspected to be fully compliant. 



Source link

Coronavirus Australia live news: Multiple venues in south-west Sydney fined for breaching COVID-safe practices


Healthcare workers to get $9.8 million package

                

                 

                 

Mr Foley said he was at the Royal Melbourne Hospital to announce a $9.8 million package for the healthcare workforce.

                

He said all kinds of healthcare workers, from nurses, pathologists, doctors, paramedics, “the whole ecology of the workforce” has stood up during the pandemic. 

               

Mr Foley said the program would go to supporting worker wellbeing, including a healthcare wellbeing centre, to be run by Safer Care Victoria.

            

“To make sure that we put our healthcare workers in contact in the most timely and effective way with the support services that are out there whilst also funding those services,” he said.

          

He also announced that the compliance systems in place to make sure Victoria remained safe and open as we move into summer will be ramped up over the weekend with an enforcement blitz.

          

“We’ll be rolling out in many different settings, over the course of the weekend, a blitz of compliance with businesses, be they hospitality, venues where people gather. 

                

“That will involve Victoria Police, the authorised officers under DHHS and … the WorkSafe inspectorate workforce targeting those workplaces that are considered high risk.

                  

“We need to make sure that the enormous sacrifices and the enormous progress Victorians have made… are sustained,” he said.

              

He said Victorians need to maintain social distancing, wearing masks to keep the state open. 



Source link

Bristol illegal rave organiser fined £10,000


The Halloween event on Saturday in Yate, near Bristol,

turned violent when police tried to disperse the crowd.



Source link

Harold Mitchell fined $90,000 for ‘serious’ breach of duties at Tennis Australia


Harold Mitchell has been hit with a $90,000 fine for committing “serious” breaches of director’s duties while on the board of Tennis Australia.

The Federal Court penalised the media-buying mogul for his conduct during negotiations in 2012 and 2013 for the Australian Open’s television broadcast rights.

Mr Mitchell acted inappropriately by feeding secret information about Tennis Australia to the Seven Network, which helped it win the rights over other bidders, Justice Jonathan Beach ruled.

The broadcast rights were awarded to Seven for five years in 2013, but there was never a competitive tender process.

Channel Nine finally won the rights to broadcast the Australian Open from 2020 in a new five-year, $300 million deal sealed with Tennis Australia in 2018, ending a 35-year partnership with Channel Seven.

The controversial lawsuit was brought by the Australian Securities Investments Commission (ASIC), which was partially successful.

ASIC also sued Tennis Australia president Stephen Healy but, earlier this year, the court dismissed the case against him in its entirety.

“I am satisfied that each of Mr Mitchell’s contraventions were serious,” Justice Beach wrote in his judgment.

“His conduct had the tendency to undermine the authority of [Tennis Australia chief executive Steve] Wood.

Former Tennis Australia president Stephen Healy was cleared of wrongdoing by the court.(AAP: Julian Smith)

“His conduct in forwarding internal Tennis Australia communications to Seven was quite unusual and unacceptable.

“And his conduct generally was undisciplined and fell well short of what was expected of a director in his position given the centrality and significance to Tennis Australia of the negotiations with Seven.”

The Court decided not to ban Mr Mitchell from managing corporations, nor did it impose the maximum penalty of $600,000 for three breaches of director’s duties.

However, Mr Mitchell is up for millions of dollars in legal fees, as both sides were ordered to bear their costs.

For a long period, Mr Mitchell was the nation’s most powerful media buyer, running the company that books advertisements into TV, print, radio and online schedules.

The AFR Rich List estimated his wealth at $370 million in 2018, and the noted arts philanthropist was a confidant of Australia’s top media moguls, including the late Kerry Packer, his son James Packer, the Murdoch family and Kerry Stokes, as well as top politicians.



Source link