ODENSE, Denmark — A Danish inventor convicted of killing a journalist aboard his homemade submarine in Copenhagen in 2017 briefly escaped from prison on Tuesday, according to the Danish state broadcaster.
The inventor, Peter Madsen, reportedly fled the Herstedvester Prison near Copenhagen after using a staff member as a human shield, but was arrested a short time later in Albertslund, near the facility on the western outskirts of the city. Photos and videos posted by Ekstra Bladet, a local news outlet, appeared to show Mr. Madsen seated on the side of the road surrounded by armed police officers with the area cordoned off. Media reports said he may have had a “belt-like” object around his waist.
The police said in a statement posted to Twitter that they had responded to an incident in Albertslund in which “a man has been arrested after attempted escape” but did not name Mr. Madsen. A short time later, the police said that the person had been removed from the scene. The state broadcaster, DR, said the police had confirmed the escaped prisoner was Mr. Madsen.
The police also said that investigators were on site and that the area had been cordoned off.
Mr. Madsen was able to escape by taking a female prison psychologist hostage, the chairman of the prison workers’ union, Bo Yde Sorensen, told Ekstra Bladet, adding that he had been brandishing what appeared to be a gun.
“The weapon was so lifelike that prison guards at the gate didn’t take any chances in relation to the hostage,” Mr. Sorensen told the newspaper. Mr. Madsen’s actions were deemed a danger to the prison worker’s life, prompting a decision to let him out of the gate, he said.
“It’s a decision I support,” he said. “We don’t want to risk anybody getting killed — we have to find people afterward.”
Guards followed Mr. Madsen as he fled, but stepped back when he threatened them, the news outlet reported, before eventually taking him into custody.
Kirsten Schlichting, 78, who lives and works near the prison, spoke with TV 2, a national news network, and described a heavy police presence as officers tried to apprehend Mr. Madsen.
“The only thing I’m worried about is the school which is also close by, but I don’t know if there are students there,” Ms. Schlichting said. “But I’m not afraid. There’s lots of police watching out.”
Mr. Madsen was found guilty of the premeditated killing — equivalent to a murder conviction — of the journalist Kim Wall in 2018 and sentenced to life in prison. A life sentence is rare in Denmark, even in murder cases, but Ms. Wall’s grisly death horrified the nation, and the brutality of the crime made Mr. Madsen’s trial one of the most closely watched in Scandinavian history.
Ms. Wall, 30, disappeared after meeting Mr. Madsen for an interview aboard his homemade submarine in August 2017. Her body was later discovered dismembered, and Mr. Madsen was soon arrested and charged with her killing.
Mr. Madsen initially offered a series of shifting explanations about Ms. Wall’s whereabouts, before admitting to dismembering her body and tossing body parts overboard. But he denied killing her.
A young Adelaide woman charged over a street race that killed the sister of Socceroos player Awer Mabil has suffered a physical attack and been ostracised by her community and church, the District Court has heard.
Alakiir Kelei Deng was driving one of two cars involved in the fatal crash
She pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving
“Her vehicle is known to have collided with the curb in almost the same location that Mr Akol’s did … it was a result of that collision that Ms Mabil suffered traumatic head injuries and died at the scene,” she said.
Deng ‘remorseful’ for fatal street race
Ms O’Donnell said a psychological report gave little insight into the offending and the only explanation for the impromptu street race was youth, inexperience and poor decision-making.
The court heard that Deng was remorseful and not at high risk of reoffending.
Six victim impact statements were read in court, including from the victim’s mother.
“Every day since my child died, I cannot afford to spend 30 minutes without thinking and crying about the death.”
She also outlined the costs she had incurred since her daughter’s death, including for the funeral and to accommodate family and friends who had arrived to pay their respects.
Deng’s lawyer said he accepted the facts laid out by the prosecutor.
He said the accused encouraged Akol, but would not have known he was impaired by alcohol and MDMA.
“It was a poor decision based on the driving conditions at the time.
“She was under circumstances of some heightened stress. Noises in the car, flashing high beams, rapid approach of Mr Akol from behind.”
“She made the poor decision to try to remain in front rather than pull-over … as a result of her youth and inexperience and excitement in the moment.”
Accused abused over Facebook
Deng’s lawyer also outlined how Ms Deng had been outcast from her community and church since the incident.
“She received abuse on Facebook and people stopped visiting her home,” he said.
Judge Michael Boylan said he might order a home detention report but Deng should not “get her hopes up about that”.
Richard Pusey, the man accused of filming a police officer as she lay dying on a Melbourne freeway, has revealed he will be fighting the most serious charges levelled against him.
Richard Pusey entered a plea of not guilty when he appeared in court by videolink on 11 charges
His lawyer says it could be three years before his case comes to trial
Magistrate Donna Bakos is expected to rule on the bail application on Friday
But Mr Pusey’s day in court may not come for up to three years, with Victoria’s justice straining at the seams because of delays due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Mr Pusey now faces 11 criminal charges over the crash on the Eastern Freeway which killed four police officers, the most serious of which are reckless conduct endangering serious injury, possessing a drug of dependence, reckless conduct endangering life and outraging public decency.
He was today committed to stand trial in Victoria’s County Court.
Mr Pusey, 42, appeared by videolink today from the Melbourne Remand Centre at Ravenhall and when asked how he pleaded, said: “Not guilty, your Honour.”
His plea comes after the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court found there was not enough evidence to pursue four other serious charges against him, and prosecutors withdrew another charge.
The ruling today by Magistrate Donna Bakos comes after months of negotiations between prosecutors and Mr Pusey’s legal team, who argue their client has been “seriously overcharged”.
Saifullah had infiltrated into J&K earlier this year and had during the past two months shifted his base from north to south Kashmir
A Lashkar-e-Tayyaba (LeT) commander from Pakistan and his local associate were gunned down by the security forces in a fire fight that broke out early Monday in Srinagar’s Barzulla area. A private house where the duo had been holed up following the security forces launched a cordon-and-search operation in the area was destroyed as it caught fire in the latter’s final assault.
J&K’s Director General of Police, Dilbag Singh, claimed at a hurriedly called press conference that the slain Pakistan militant commander Saifullah was involved in a series of attacks on security forces including the ambushes that took place in and outside Srinagar past fortnight, leaving several security forces personnel dead and injured. The other militant killed in the encounter has been identified as Irshad Ahmed Dar alias Abu Usama, a resident of southern Pulwama district, “who was active since May 2019 and involved in several civilian killings and attacks on the J&K police and central security forces.”
The police chief said that, so far, this year the security forces have conducted 75 counterinsurgency operations across J&K during which as many as 180 militants including several top commanders of various outfits were killed.
Inspector General of Police (Kashmir range), Vijay Kumar, said that after evacuating the civilians living in the neighbourhood the LeT militants trapped inside a residential house in Mir Mohalla (locality) of old Barzulla were offered to lay down their arms and surrender before the security forces as part of the Standard Operation Procedure (SOP) followed during the actions. But they refused and opened fire on the joint party of J&K police’s Special Operations Group (SOG) and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), triggering the encounter, he said and added the operation was launched shortly after midnight on receiving input about the presence of militants in the area.
Mr. Singh said that Saifullah had infiltrated into J&K earlier this year and had during the past two months shifted his base from north to south Kashmir.
He said that all the operations against militants carried out by the security forces, so far, this year were “clean and conducted in a professional manner.” He asserted, “Barring one operation at Batamaloo, Srinagar, in which one woman got killed in a crossfire, all operations were cleanly conducted by the security forces”. He said that eight encounters took place in the Srinagar city alone in which 18 militants including a top Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander Junaid Ashraf Khan were killed. “Whenever any terrorist outfit tries to establish its base in Srinagar, we successfully corner the militants with the help of our intelligence and other sources,” the DGP said.
Asked how many militants were active in Srinagar at present, the police chief said, “Only one who is involved in a couple of attacks. We will bring him to justice very soon.”
He said that the J&K police lost its 19 men and the CRPF 21 during these operations and attacks of militants whereas 15 Army soldiers were also killed, majority of them along the Line of Control (LoC) during this period.
He also said that the police and other security forces succeeded in bringing back as many as 26 Kashmiri youth who had joined the militants’ ranks and reunited them with their families, so far, this year.
The coronavirus pandemic has shaken Australian professional sport to the core.
In the space of a few months as lockdowns forced changes, hundreds of people lost their jobs and as much as a billion dollars was wiped from the Australian elite sporting landscape.
The big three codes — AFL, NRL and cricket — basked for decades in lucrative television rights that allowed expansion, high salaries, and other bells and whistles, but the pandemic has shown it was all built on shifting sands.
No sport proved immune.
So, as we approach the business end of the football season, we do a stocktake of the major Australian sports and how they’ve fared in season COVID.
The Australian Football League
The AFL is the behemoth of Australian sport.
In 2015, it signed a six-year TV rights deal worth $2.5 billion dollars — a package that continued a trend of increasing rights deals that began in the early ’70s.
Soon afterwards, the AFL slashed costs, ordering all 18 clubs to stand down 80 per cent of their workforce.
Players were forced to take a 50 per cent pay cut, leaving some individuals hundreds of thousands out of pocket, while many assistant coaches left clubs never to return.
The AFL arranged a $600 million line of credit secured by the Docklands stadium, which allowed the season to continue while the 18 teams retreated first from Victoria, then New South Wales, to hubs in Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia.
The AFL has spent $60 million on relocating and accommodating the teams, coaches and their families in the Queensland.
The AFL expects its revenue this year to fall by up to $400 million — around a third of its projected revenue — while 20 per cent of its staff have been cut.
In June, the AFL announced a two-year extension of its six-year deal with broadcast partners Seven West Media, taking it until 2024, but with a cost reduction of $87 million.
The AFL also negotiated a new deal with Foxtel, but without the extension until 2024.
And finally, it lost hundreds of millions in gate takings thanks to socially reduced crowds and fewer games in this COVID season.
The financial pain is expected to continue next year.
“We need to significantly change our business model for not only the AFL but the wider football community,” said the AFL’s chief executive, Gillon McLachlan.
Meanwhile, the clubs are expecting they will have to reduce their spending on coaches and other support staff by about 36 per cent and reduce player list sizes.
The full extent of club losses will become clear when they release their annual financial statements later this year.
The AFLW is set to go ahead next year with its 14-team competition, although the full details of the competition are yet to be released.
But clubs have already sacked coaches and are cutting hard around support staff.
Of all the Australian sports, the AFL is best placed to ride out the storm, thanks to its ownership of Docklands stadium, the TV deal, albeit on reduced terms, and the enormous supporter based and passion for the game — the clubs merely lost a combined 67,000 members this year despite none of the Melbourne-based supporters being able to attend a single game.
But with so much uncertainty surrounding the pandemic, there is no indication what next year’s season will look like and a myriad of questions yet to be answered
The AFL intends to pay off the debts of 2020 as quickly as possible, but will have to spend millions to prop up many clubs that have suffered huge losses this season.
The National Rugby League
NRL Chairman Peter V’Landys stunned the Australian sporting world with his bullish attitude to restarting the competition in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic.
He had good reason.
The lack of TV money flowing into the NRL coffers meant the game was in real danger of going under as it haemorrhaged money at a rate of almost half a million dollars a day to run the competition.
A spiteful row with free-to-air broadcaster Channel Nine, which accused the NRL of mismanagement, didn’t help.
The NRL did eventually agree to a new deal with Nine that cost the league upwards of $80 million over the course of this season and the remaining two years of the contract.
The NRL’s other broadcast partner, Fox Sports, also cut a new deal without releasing figures, but it’s safe to assume the savings were considerable given it has a greater portion of rugby league’s broadcast rights.
Seven has accused CA of breaching its contract over the lack of certainty around this summer’s schedule and the lack of big names for the Big Bash tournament.
CA and the broadcaster, along with Pay-TV partner Foxtel, have been renegotiating a new contract for weeks without a breakthrough and some interim instalments have been held back.
In the meantime, doubts remain over the summer schedule, featuring the Big Bash and all-important four-test series against India — it will take place, but where and when is yet to be nailed down.
Late on Friday, Cricket Australia announced that a one-off Test against Afghanistan and a series of one-day internationals against New Zealand have been postponed until next season.
But a series of women’s T20 and one-day matches between Australia and New Zealand is starting today, and CA announced the WBBL will go ahead with all teams staying and playing games at Sydney’s Olympic Park precinct.