Melbourne Demons’ Ben Brown has knee surgery


Melbourne recruit Ben Brown underwent knee surgery on Thursday morning after a specialist found cartilage damage in his left knee.

The news is a blow for the Demons, who recruited the 28-year-old spearhead from North Melburne on a four-year deal to improve their scoring despite the fact he had missed the back half of 2020 with knee problems.

Ben Brown requires knee surgery.Credit:Getty Images

The club is hopeful Brown will be back running in four weeks and able to return to play in the early part of the season, but Melbourne football manager Alan Richardson confirmed they would take a conservative approach to his recovery.

“He is in very good shape and his training standards since joining the club have been outstanding,” Richardson said.

Thank you for stopping by and seeing this story involving AFL news and updates named “Melbourne Demons’ Ben Brown has knee surgery”. This article was posted by My Local Pages Australia as part of our Australian news services.

#Melbourne #Demons #Ben #Brown #knee #surgery



Source link

Roger Federer to miss Australian Open, knee surgery, schedule


Tennis fans Down Under have been dealt a crushing blow as Roger Federer’s team revealed he plans to skip the Australian Open.

AP reports the Swiss maestro will miss the first grand slam of 2021 as he continues to recover from two knee operations.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Federer’s manager Tony Godsick said the tennis legend won’t rush back to the court for the tournament at Melbourne Park, which is scheduled to begin on February 8.

“Roger has decided not to play the 2021 Australian Open,” Godsick told AP in a statement.

“He has made strong progress in the last couple of months with his knee and his fitness. However, after consultation with his team, he decided that the best decision for him in the long run is to return to competitive tennis after the Australian Open.

“I will start discussions this coming week for tournaments that begin in late February and then start to build a schedule for the rest of the year.”

Earlier this month Federer warned he was in a “race against time” to be fit after two rounds of knee surgery, which saw him pull out of much of 2020 — even before COVID-19 caused havoc with the schedule.

The Australian Open was supposed to begin in January but because of pandemic-related complications, was pushed back until early February. It was hoped the delay would give Federer enough time to recover from his injuries and take part in the major but sadly, that isn’t the case.

Shortly before Christmas Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said he had been in touch with the 39-year-old and he was going through his normal pre-season training routine in Dubai.

“Every player, including Roger, has made a commitment to travel to Melbourne to play,” Tiley said a week ago.

“He did say to us that February 8 was a more suitable date for him in terms of preparing for the Australian Open … but a lot will depend on how he responds to his surgery in the next two to three weeks of training.”

Federer has won the Australian Open six times but after losing in the 2020 semi-final to Novak Djokovic, missed the rest of the interrupted 2020 season following surgery and could only watch as Rafael Nadal matched his record 20 grand slam titles with a 13th victory at the French Open.

Meanwhile, many of the world’s top players have committed to playing the Australian Open including Djokovic, Ash Barty and Serena Williams.

All players must undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine on arrival, during which they will constantly be tested for COVID-19 but allowed to train for five hours a day in a bio-secure bubble.

“Although the AO will look a bit different to previous years, the safety of everyone is our top priority,” Tiley said last week.

“We have the opportunity to stage a very safe, and happy slam, and give the players the experience of competing in front of crowds again, something they’ve missed for most of this year.”

The men’s and women’s qualifiers will be held in Doha and Dubai respectively from January 10-13, with players arriving in Melbourne from January 15 on special charter flights.

With AFP



Source link

Boos as players take knee before League Two match between Cambridge United and Colchester United | UK News


Players were met with boos as they knelt in support of the Black Lives Matter movement before Cambridge United’s match against Colchester United on Tuesday night.

Boos were clearly audible from the stands at the Abbey Stadium in Cambridge, but fellow spectators quickly responded by applauding before the League Two match got under way.

The incident followed a similar one at Millwall earlier this month.

Sport stars, government ministers and club managers condemned Millwall fans, with bosses saying they were “dismayed and saddened”, when crowds booed players for taking the knee before the match against Derby on 5 December.

Colchester’s League Two game with Grimsby on the same day was preceded by fans booing the players’ anti-racism gesture before kick-off.

The Essex club’s owner Robbie Cowling said afterwards that fans who want to boo players taking the knee should not attend matches.

Image:
Fans booed Millwall players for taking the knee at their match on 5 December

He said: “Those taking the knee, and supporting the taking of the knee, not only show their willingness to support the drive to eradicate racial oppression but force it to be a talking point even when it’s uncomfortable.

More from Black Lives Matter

“Maybe those that booed on Saturday might now understand what this gesture means to our club and will at the very least remain silent during future games whilst the players continue to take the knee before each kick-off.

“Alternatively, they should just stay away from our club because anyone that still wants to boo now that I have explained the purpose and importance of the taking of the knee is not welcome at our club.

“I will be happy to refund anyone for the remaining value of their season permit if that is the reason they feel they can no longer attend our games.”



Source link

AFL trade news 2020: Patrick Cripps contract, Carlton future, West Coast Eagles, Fremantle, David Teague, Charlie Curnow knee injury


Carlton coach David Teague says he’s “extremely comfortable” with Patrick Cripps’ commitment to the Blues, claiming he doesn’t have to probe the co-captain to quell trade speculation.

Cripps remains contracted until the end of next season, making him one of the AFL’s biggest 2021 free agents if he remains unsigned.

The WA product has previously said it’d be hard to leave the Blues, but former club list boss Stephen Silvagni said in October that Carlton’s 2021 campaign would “have a fair bearing on Patrick’s decision … he would dearly love to play finals”.

Get all the latest sport news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!

Grand Final

Speaking on SEN’s Bob and Andy, Teague said there was no news around an imminent Cripps re-signing, but couldn’t have been more emphatic in his belief the star midfielder wants to stay at Carlton.



Source link

Roger Federer say he may miss first Australian Open due to knee surgery


Roger Federer says his recovery from two knee operations is taking longer than expected and he may miss the Australian Open.

The 20-time grand slam champion said he hoped to return to Tennis in the New Year, but if his career was over a Swiss sporting award he received on the weekend would mark an “incredible ending for me”.

Federer, 39, has not played a competitive match since losing to Novak Djokovic in this season’s semi-finals at Melbourne Park.

He said the delayed start to the season’s first major, likely to be February 8 instead of January 18, may still not provide enough time for him to recover.

“I would have hoped that I would be 100 per cent in October. But I am still not today. It will be tight for the Australian Open,” Federer said.

“It’s a race against time for the Australian Open. I’m curious to see whether it will start on February 8.

“Of course, it would help if I had a bit more time.”

Award would be ‘an incredible ending for me’

The six-time Australian Open champion said his priorities for 2021 were Wimbledon, the US Open and the Tokyo Olympic Games, where he would seek his first singles gold medal, the only major prize still eluding him.

At the weekend awards ceremony where he was named the best Swiss athlete since 1950, Federer said he hoped to make a comeback next year.

“But if that was it, that would have been an incredible ending for me at these sports awards.”

Federer has had two rounds of knee surgery this year, the second in the middle of the year. He also underwent surgery on his knee in 2016.

Rafael Nadal congratulates Roger Federer after Federer’s victory in the men’s singles final at the Australian Open in 2017.(AP: Dita Alangkara)

On that occasion, he made an extraordinary comeback to win his fifth Australian Open crown in 2017 with an epic five-set final triumph over Rafael Nadal in his first official tournament appearance in six months.

Federer has contested a record 21 consecutive Australian Opens since losing in the first round of qualifying in 1999.

Tennis Australia is working closely with the Victorian and Federal governments in a bid to finalise quarantine requirements for the 2,500-odd players and their entourages.

Open director Craig Tiley said three weeks ago he hoped to confirm the new starting date within a fortnight.

But Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews almost daily has said the process is complex and it is hoped an announcement confirming the 2021 Open will proceed will be made soon.

With COVID-19 under control in Victoria, organisers are hoping crowd capacity may be up to 50 per cent, from earlier expectations of 25 per cent.

AAP/Reuters



Source link

Roger Federer Bagged Best Swiss Athlete Award, Might Not Be Competing In The Australian Open And Retiring From Tennis

Roger Federer, a six-time champion athlete, revealed doubt on his upcoming Australian Open participation. More so, he is worried about the future of his career as he battles to recover from his knee surgery.

Known as the Swiss maestro, Federer had two surgeries on his right knee just this year; one in February and then another last June. Since his semi-final loss to Novak Djokovic at the Melbourne Park earlier this year, he hasn’t played yet.

During the Swiss Sports Awards, Federer cited that although the Australian Open delayed by three weeks might work to his advantage, he was not yet back to a full healthy condition. It was known at later that the event will likely be held at the beginning of February 2021.

He revealed “I would have hoped I would be 100 per cent by October but I’m not today. It will be complicated for the Australian Open. I don’t want to take the next step until I’m ready. These three weeks could help me a bit.”

He had also indicated that the European summer of 2021 with Wimbledon, the Olympics and the US Open, which were his top priorities, is all on schedule. Suggesting that even the extra weeks of preparation before the Australia Open, he emphasized that it will still be touch and go.

He added, “It’s a race against time for the Australian Open, we’ll see. I’m curious to see if it will start on February 8th. Of course, it would help if I had a little more time.”

He declared that he has been doing a lot a physical work recently so he is still looking forward to how the two months will unfold as he tries to go back to tennis.

In affirmation, he has reportedly been practising in recent weeks yet this phase is much slower than it was in 2016, when he missed the Olympics and the US Open with knee problems, before returning to win the 2017 Australian Open.

He even went to suggest that he might not be able to return at all after bagging the award of best Swiss Athlete since 1950. “I hope there is still something to see from me next year. But if that was it, that would have been an incredible ending for me at these Sports Awards,” he said.

He is still considering competing in the Australian Open, yet, due to quarantine arrangement, should Federer decide to compete in Melbourne his family will not travel with him.

Roger Federer in doubt due to knee injury


Roger Federer’s appearance at next year’s Australian Open has been thrown into major doubt, with the world No.5 admitting he’s facing a race against time to be fit.

Federer hasn’t played since he was beaten by Novak Djokovic at Melbourne Park in January during this year’s Australian Open, due to a knee injury.

Roger Federer is in a race against time to recover from a knee injury in time for the Australian Open.Credit:Getty Images

The 20-time major winner says his recovery is taking longer than expected.

“I would have hoped that I would be 100 per cent in October. But I am still not today. It will be tight for the Australian Open,” Federer reportedly said at the Switzerland Sports Awards.



Source link

Sydney Sixers, Hobart Hurricanes players take a knee in stand against racism


The national men’s side followed suit by deciding to perform the ritual, which it feels is a more appropriate recognition of First Nations people, before the start of every series.

Sydney Thunder, Adelaide Strikers and the Hurricanes took the knee in the WBBL while players from other clubs showed their support by taking off hats or helmets.

Carlos Brathwaite takes a knee at Blundstone Arena.Credit:Getty

Star West Indies all-rounder Carlos Brathwaite, who has spoken widely about racism in sport, made a PowerPoint presentation to Sixers teammates while other players spoke about their experiences of racial prejudice.

Former Australian international Dan Christian, from the Wiradjuri tribe in NSW, joined the Sixers this season for their title defence.

“Tonight, in our first game of BBL|10, and throughout the tournament, the Sixers will take a knee prior to the first ball in support of our team mates and those who have been impacted by racism,” the Sixers said in a statement.

“The stance follows an education session provided by several members of the squad and comes with unanimous support from players and staff.

Loading

“In Australia and all across the world we continue to see examples of people being mistreated simply due to the colour of their skin. At the Sixers, we believe this is unacceptable.

“As a club and as individuals we have made the commitment to better educate ourselves on the history of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, to fight for inclusion and justice, and to stand with our communities on the path to reconciliation and equal rights. We encourage all members of the community to do the same.



Source link

PSG and Istanbul Basaksehir players take knee before restart


Both sets of players and match officials took a knee around the centre circle during the Champions League anthem

Paris St-Germain and Istanbul Basaksehir players took a knee around the centre circle in an anti-racism message before the restart of their Champions League tie on Wednesday.

Neymar scored a hat-trick as PSG won the game 5-1 to top their group.

The match was abandoned on Tuesday at 0-0 after the fourth official was accused of using a racist term towards Basaksehir assistant Pierre Webo.

Both sets of players walked off the pitch, with the game delayed by a day.

It restarted with a Basaksehir free-kick in the 14th minute.

Webo – who had been sent off – was allowed to take his place on the away bench, with his red card suspended while Uefa investigates the whole incident.

A new set of officials were in charge, with Dutchman Danny Makkelie appointed referee.

Both sets of players and the officials – who also took a knee during the Champions League anthem – wore ‘no to racism’ T-shirts in the warm-up, with anti-racism banners in the stands.

Neymar
Neymar scored three and won a penalty in PSG’s win

When the game restarted, Neymar starred with his third Champions League hat-trick.

He opened the scoring by nutmegging a defender and curling home, before finishing off a counter-attack and getting his third from 20 yards.

Kylian Mbappe scored twice, including a penalty won for a foul on Neymar.

Mehmet Topal scored Basaksehir’s goal.

Victory for PSG means they top the group ahead of RB Leipzig, who qualified and eliminated Manchester United with a 3-2 win over the English side on Tuesday.

Line-ups

PSG

  • 1Navas
  • 24FlorenziSubstituted forPembeleat 80′minutesBooked at 90mins
  • 5MarquinhosSubstituted forKehrerat 67′minutes
  • 15Danilo
  • 3KimpembeSubstituted forDialloat 80′minutes
  • 25Bakker
  • 8Paredes
  • 12RafinhaSubstituted forDi Maríaat 45′minutes
  • 6VerrattiSubstituted forGueyeat 80′minutes
  • 10Neymar
  • 7Mbappé

Substitutes

  • 4Kehrer
  • 11Di María
  • 16Rico
  • 18Kean
  • 20Kurzawa
  • 21Herrera
  • 22Diallo
  • 27Gueye
  • 30Letellier
  • 31Dagba
  • 32Pembele
  • 37Fadiga

Istanbul Basaksehir

  • 34GünokBooked at 42mins
  • 4Pereira da SilvaBooked at 12minsSubstituted forde Paulaat 68′minutes
  • 26dos Santos Rodrigues
  • 5Topal
  • 3KaldirimSubstituted forBolingoli-Mbomboat 68′minutes
  • 10Özcan
  • 21TekdemirBooked at 10minsSubstituted forChadliat 89′minutes
  • 17Kahveci
  • 22GulbrandsenSubstituted forKaplanat 80′minutes
  • 27CrivelliBooked at 63minsSubstituted forBaat 68′minutes
  • 23Türüç

Substitutes

  • 1Babacan
  • 11Chadli
  • 13Kivanç
  • 19Ba
  • 20de Paula
  • 63Bolingoli-Mbombo
  • 77Kaplan
  • 89Karakus

Live Text

Banner Image Reading Around the BBC - BlueFooter - Blue





Source link