Greek authorities ‘break up migrant smuggling ring’ on island of Kos


Greek authorities say they have broken up a migrant smuggling ring that had been operating on the eastern Aegean island of Kos.

The group is suspected of bringing people from the nearby Turkish coast to the island and facilitating their movement to the Greek mainland.

Four Greek nationals and one foreign national have been arrested on charges related to the operation of a “criminal organisation”.

The suspects are aged between 25 and 48 years old. Their nationalities have not been made public.

One of those arrested, a 39-year-old Greek man, is believed to be a “leading executive” who co-ordinated the smuggling ring, according to a statement by the Hellenic Coast Guard.

The foreign national and one other suspect had allegedly been arranging for migrants to be transported from Turkey to Kos, while two of the other Greeks provided accommodation for those who arrived at hotels.

Five other foreign suspects were arrested in the island’s main town last Friday as part of a large-scale police operation.

Meanwhile, authorities are still searching for another foreign national who is believed to be another group “executive”.

The operation to dismantle the group was carried out by Kos Port Authority officials, with the assistance from Greek officials from the Directorate of Security and Protection of Maritime Borders.

In addition, three foreign nationals under the age of 18 were found during a search of the home of one of the suspects, the coast guard said.

Greece is a popular route into the European Union for people fleeing conflict and poverty in the Middle East, Asia, and Africa, and a large majority make their way to the Aegean islands from the nearby Turkish coast.

In September, authorities opened a criminal case against 33 members of non-governmental organisations for allegedly facilitating the arrival of migrants to the island of Lesbos.

The members are accused of crimes including espionage, violation of state secrets, and violating migration laws.



Source link

KOs galore in boxing’s big bang


Boxing is back with a bang.

The first card in America since the COVID-19 outbreak was held in Las Vegas today (AEDT) and fighters who have spent much of the past two months punching a bag relished the opportunity to jump back in the ring.

Put on by Top Rank Boxing at the MGM Grand, the card is headlined by Shakur Stevenson’s fight against Felix Caraballo and TV viewers tuning in were treated to a smorgasbord of big hits before the main event rolled around.

Robeisy Ramirez kicked things off in stunning fashion against Yeuri Andujar, needing less than a minute to turn his rival’s lights off as the 2016 Olympic gold medallist celebrated a third straight stoppage victory.

A left hand to the chin rocked Andujar, who wobbled badly but managed to stay on his feet, before a crunching uppercut knocked him to the canvas and finished the job.

Next up, Quatavious Cash scored a unanimous technical decision win over Calvin Metcalf (60-54, 60-55, 59-55) in their bloody middleweight bout.

A deep gash opened up over Metcalf’s left eye after a head clash and although he showed plenty of courage to keep walking forwards, Cash landed the cleaner punches before the referee waved the fight off.

Heavyweight Guido Vianello delivered the second first-round knockout of the card when he disposed of Donald Haynesworth courtesy of a chopping, overhand right.

“In the gym, I try to work every day on my right hand, and I’ve been trying to do more with my jab,” Vianello said.

“I try to change my distance, go up and down with my jab, and I try every day to strengthen my right hand.”

In the co-main event, Jared Anderson and Johnnie Langston traded heavy blows in the opening round as both big men let their hands go.

In the second round, Anderson did more damage before going to another level in the third, unleashing a flurry of powerful punches to force a stoppage.



Source link