1/2 cup basmati rice
200-250 gm chicken pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
5-6 shallots, crushed
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 piece ginger, crushed
3-4 green chillies, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2-3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 star anise
1 cinnamon piece
1/2 tsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1 1/2 cup grated coconut
3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1-2 tbsp ghee
salt to taste
- Wash and drain the rice and keep it aside. Cut the chicken into small pieces.
- In a pressure cooker, add chicken pieces, drained rice, chopped onion, crushed shallots, 2-3 green chillies, tomato, carrot, crushed ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, pepper powder, star anise, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and salt and mix well.
- Add 3 – 3 1/2 cups of water into this and cook covered at low flame for 3-4 whistles till the rice and chicken cooked well.
- In the meantime, grind grated coconut with 2 shallots and 1 green chilli to a smooth paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and add chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves and mix well.
- Adjust the water and salt, mix well and boil well for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1/4 tsp cumin powder and ghee and mix well.
- Then add ground coconut paste to the cooked kanji and bring it to boil at low flame, stirring in between.
- Check for salt and if the kanji is too thick, add little more hot water and mix well. Remove from flame and serve hot…
- Adjust the spices according to your taste….