“We’ve put ourselves in a position now where we’ve got to rely on other results,” Goodwin said.
“As a club, I think we need to become a much more ruthless club, and really grow up and start to perform in these type of games. This is a great position for our club to be in, to experience this again after last year, but we need to start becoming more mature as a club and more unconditional in the way we go about our business.
“It’s everyone in the club. I’ve always said this, we’re in this together. We’re trying to change shape as a footy club. To do that it takes a whole collective group of people to do that. We’re in this position, where we are, and we get the opportunity to continue to help shape that, but we can’t have results like tonight. I think when teams are really unconditional in the way they go about their footy, the way they go about their business, day in, day out, your method will stack up and you’ll get results, and we’re just not quite there yet.”
The Dees have matches to come against Greater Western Sydney and Essendon, but will need other teams above them to falter to even have a chance of making the eight.
“We need to put in better performances in all phases of how we play. Too often tonight, the variation and inconsistency across all phases of our game was off,” Goodwin said.
“There’ll be a level of frustration I’m sure amongst our supporters, fans and everyone aligned, but we’re going to work incredible hard to make sure we put together some strong performances in the last couple of weeks.”
The United Nations weather agency says this summer will go down for leaving a “deep wound” in the frozen parts of the planet after a heat wave in the Arctic, shrinking sea ice and the collapse of a leading Canadian ice shelf
September 1, 2020, 12:49 PM
• 2 min read
GENEVA — The United Nations weather agency says this summer will go down for leaving a “deep wound” in the cryosphere — the planet’s frozen parts — amid a heat wave in the Arctic, shrinking sea ice and the collapse of a leading Canadian ice shelf.
The World Meteorological Organization said Tuesday that temperatures in the Arctic are rising twice as fast as the global average, provoking what spokeswoman Clare Nullis called a “vicious circle.”
“The rapid decline of sea ice in turn contributes to more warming, and so the circle goes on and the consequences do not stay in the Arctic,” Nullis said during a regular U.N. briefing in Geneva.
The weather agency said in a statement that many new temperature records have been set in recent months, including in the Russian town of Verkhoyansk. The town, located in Siberia above the Arctic Circle line, reached 38 degrees Celsius (100 F) on June 20.
“What we saw in Siberia this year was exceptionally bad, was exceptionally severe,” Nullis said. She noted a heat wave across the Arctic, r ecord-breaking wildfires in Siberia, nearly record-low sea ice extent, and the collapse of one of the last fully intact Canadian ice shelves.
“The summer of 2020 will leave a deep wound on the cryosphere,” the World Meteorological Organization statement said, pointing to a “worrisome trend” of floods resulting from the outburst of glacier lakes that are becoming “an increased factor of high-risk in many parts of the world.”
In late July, an 81-square-kilometer (30-square-mile) section of Canada’s Milne ice shelf broke off, reducing the total area of the ice shelf by 43%, the weather agency said.
The consequences include the loss of a rare ecosystem, possible acceleration of glaciers sliding into the ocean and contributing to sea level rise, and creation of new “drifting ice islands,” it said.
The WMO is preparing to release on Sept. 9 a report on the impact of climate change on the cryosphere.
Follow AP’s climate coverage at https://apnews.com/Climate
“We believed it had been covered off, we thought it had been ticked off and that was including the fact that two people … you can play with people outside of the hub but not at that time of the week and it has to be immediate family or housemates,” he said.
“And even earlier in the week you can exercise … with an immediate family member, with someone outside of the hub, but you can’t play tennis with them.
“There are some situations where it’s OK and some where it’s not with different people at different times so it still is a little bit … it’s really clear but it has shifted and changed over time.
“I’d be frustrated if I was [a supporter] in lockdown then something like this happened. Look I’ve got an understanding of that, I don’t have a leg to stand on. It was a lack of due diligence by me and follow up and should have known better, should have checked again before we’d gone.
“I just had a really expensive game of tennis during the week.
“We all understand there’s only a handful of COVID cases in WA … the health risk is not a concern. [But] I have a responsibility to adhere to the rules and regulations of the AFL. In 2020 hub protocols are a part [of that].
“We’re privileged to continue working and the players, staff, families are making sacrifices in some shape or form to be able to keep the industry going.
“I’m not bitter and twisted about it at all, I don’t find it onerous as such. I feel grateful to be in the position I am in and we’re in.”
The coach said the Pies lack of aggression around the ball was the main reason for the loss to Fremantle.
“We have lacked a bit of an edge in the last couple of weeks. The last two games we have really haven’t been as aggressive as we usually are,” Buckley said.
“Not aggressive enough, not hungry enough to stick those tackles.
“They were more intent across the board than we were, which is a concern for us because we pride ourselves on that.
“In the end it is an mental and emotional challenge. There’s a physical challenge in quick turn around between games but we’ve been humbled in that area.”
The Pies play Sydney on Thursday, their second game in four across 14 days.
Red Bull boss Christian Horner has admitted that leaving the Austrian GP empty-handed “feels pretty brutal” after Max Verstappen and Alex Albon both hit problems on a nightmare start to the team’s F1 title quest.
Verstappen was running second before his electrical failure while Albon made contact with Lewis Hamilton when challenging for that position before retiring from the race himself, leaving Red Bull with zero points.
Asked about the positives from the race, Horner told Sky F1: “That it’s over.”
While Red Bull, who have been talking up a title challenge throughout F1’s long pre-season, couldn’t match Mercedes’ pace in Austria, Horner believes they had a chance of winning the 2020 opener before those issues.
“(We were) in a position to challenge for victory with both Max early on — because we got the (medium) tyre call right there and he would have had a really positive afternoon — and then for a second time with Alex,” he said.
“To come away with zero points in what is going to be a shortened season, feels pretty brutal.”
Following an abject 3-0 loss at Manchester City in the first game of the top-flight restart in midweek, the Gunners travelled to Amex Stadium on Saturday looking to bounce back and appeared on course for a much-needed victory when record signing Nicolas Pepe curled home a wonderful strike with just over 20 minutes to play.
Arsenal – whose injury crisis deepened when they lost goalkeeper Bernd Leno to a serious-looking knee injury following a collision with Neal Maupay before the interval – capitulated thereafter, however, with Lewis Dunk’s goal and a last-gasp effort from Maupay sealing relegation-battling Brighton’s first league win of 2020.
Speaking after the game, head coach Arteta refused to use the Leno incident as an excuse for his players’ under-par display and instead rued a lack of attention and competitiveness in crucial moments.
“I think we did a lot of things today to win the game comfortably, but we haven’t competed like you have to compete in the Premier League,” he said.
“We gave first goal away and we lost a few important duels afterwards, so I think it’s all our fault.”
Arteta added: “[It’s] not about the characters, it’s about how you compete in a Premier League match and it’s for 100 minutes in this case. It’s for every ball, it’s for every action and the moment you lose attention, the opponent is going to push you.
“It’s not the first time it has happened and if you want to win football games consistently at this level, it’s a must and it’s a non-negotiable.
“I think they competed for large parts of the game, but in crucial moments when you don’t, you pay the price and that’s it. It’s all my fault obviously because I’m the one that has to make sure they do.”
Back-to-back defeats leave Arsenal eight points adrift of the top four ahead of their third successive away fixture at Southampton on Thursday night, though that gap will reach double figures if Chelsea beat struggling Aston Villa on Sunday.
With their hopes of a Champions League return fading fast, Arteta admitted he faces a huge challenge in lifting spirits among his playing squad for the challenges ahead.
“Absolutely [it will be hard to do],” he said. “I think when you lose two games in a row that hardest thing to do is to lift the players up and believe again in what we are doing.
“The context of the last game against Man City and this one is completely different.
“I am much more upset today because I know the accident that happened against City but the accident today was provoked by us and it’s unacceptable.”
Queensland’s oldest regional newspaper, The Queensland Times in Ipswich, which started in 1859, will stop printing at the end of June, along with the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin (1860), The Daily Mercury in Mackay (1867), and the Northern Star in Lismore (1876).
They will all become digital-only paid subscription news outlets along with 25 other regional titles and nearly 60 community titles across Australia.
Another 37 newspapers will stop publication in all forms as part of a restructure announced by News Corp Australasia chief executive Michael Miller.
Two hours west of Brisbane, Warwick locals said news their paper was going digital only was “heartbreaking”.
The Warwick Daily News began as a family-owned newspaper in 1919 but will stop printing in late June.
Classic Dimensions owner Robyn Fraser has been advertising in the print version of the paper since she opened her women’s fashion store in the main street 35 years ago.
“I had great support from the paper. It’ll be a tool that we’ll all miss,” Mrs Fraser said.
“The paper’s been thrown out on our kerb every morning at five o’clock and it’s the first thing I do every day, read the local paper.
“It probably sounds like little town talk but you might run into someone and say ‘so and so’s dad passed away’. You read that in the local paper.
“They’re the little things that keep you up with what’s happening and we’re going to really miss that.”
A blow for communities
News Corp said there would “regretfully” be job losses associated with the announcement, but the exact number remained unclear.
A source told the ABC job losses at News Corp would be 500-600, with sales staff, office support, journalists, and workers at print centres all impacted.
Only seven regional mastheads will continue in print and online including the Hobart Mercury, NT News, Cairns Post, Townsville Bulletin, Gold Coast Bulletin, Toowoomba Chronicle, and Geelong Advertiser.
Queensland is the hardest-hit state with about 22 regional and 20 community publications going to digital only, and 15 community newspapers closing completely.
MEAA Queensland regional director Michelle Rae said the announcement was devastating for Queensland.
“Today 110 Queensland journalists have been given redundancy letters,” she said.
“That is a catastrophic amount for a region and also for journalism.
“We’re talking about newspapers that have survived depressions, they’ve survived world wars, and yet they can’t survive COVID-19.”
“I’m sad for the people I worked with, I’m sad for the newspaper,” she said.
“I loved the sound of it thumping onto the front lawn every morning and wondering if my name was going to be a byline on the front page.”
A sign of the times
In Alice Springs, news that the local 73-year-old Centralian Advocate would be online only from the end of June was met with mixed emotions.
Local resident Carol Adams said she was sad to hear of the change but thought most people would still head online to read it.
“Because everyone either buys the Advocate or checks it out in passing, and if that was the only way you could get it you certainly would just to keep up to date with what’s happening in the town,” she said.
Don Wait said while he would miss picking up the paper, the change was better for the environment.
According to local historian Alex Nelson, the fact that Darwin-based NT News would be the only hard-copy paper for central Australia was not ideal.
“It’s very much oriented towards serving the Top End market, and Alice Springs is going to find itself yet again relegated somewhat down the pecking order of priorities of the Northern Territory,” Mr Nelson said.
“But that’s not a new experience for us.”
Cuts could ‘compromise democracy’
A former editor of the Northern Star in Lismore, northern NSW, and the Gold Coast Bulletin said he feared the history of regional and rural towns would be lost, alongside many jobs and News Corp titles.
The Northern Star and papers in Tweed, Ballina, Byron and Grafton will cease become digital only.
The Lismore Echo and Richmond River Express will close completely.
“Those newsrooms, those journalists, they love their community,” said Dean Gould, editor of the Northern Star from 1998 to 2003.
“They have been part of their community — many of them grew up through that community.
Mr Gould said the cuts could also compromise the role of regional media in democracy.
“The accountability for local government, for even state government, has often been the regional journalism that has brought that to the fore, and that’s going to disappear completely,” he said.
“I’m very concerned that the voice of these communities is going to be lost in any sort of independent way.”
Newsagents hit hard by news
Newsagents, which rely on their local papers for businesses, will also be hard hit.
Sunshine Coast newsagent Leigh Grand said it could mean his shop Cotton Tree News will have to close.
“It’s terrible, caught me by surprise, we always joked when the newspaper goes that would be the end of it,” Mr Grand said.
“It’s devastating, the Daily [Sunshine Coast Daily newspaper] is our second biggest-selling paper, it brings so much foot traffic into our store. It underpins the shop.
“The other part is our home delivery service. Without the Daily that won’t be sustainable.”
Mr Grand said he did not expect the shift to digital newspapers would happen so soon.
“The shop has been here forever and a day and it’s always been a good little business for us,” he said.
“I don’t know where we go from here.”
Sunshine Coast among the cuts
Sunshine Coast mayor Mark Jameison was CEO of APN News and Media in 2006, before News Corp took over the company’s regional mastheads in 2016.
He said News Corp publications in his region, including the Sunshine Coast Daily, had lost touch with their communities.
“It was perhaps unfortunate that News Ltd (now News Corp) were allowed to take over those newspapers at a time when they would have perhaps been better off in the hands of private operators,” he said.
“They may have sustained their longevity by having a much closer empathy with the community they serve.
“I find it hard to understand why the Sunshine Coast Daily, the print edition, would be closed and other smaller markets effectively continue.”