Helicopters, divers search Canberra’s Lake Burley Griffin after man jumps into water during late-night police chase


A large-scale search operation is taking place in the centre of Canberra, after a man fleeing police jumped into Lake Burley Griffin overnight and could not be found.

Police had followed a car the man was in towards the lake about 1:15am. He and another woman then got out of the car and the man headed for the water.

Police gave chase but he jumped into the lake, and was last sighted by officers about 100 metres from the shore, near Kings Avenue.

The police response during the night included calling in a rescue helicopter, which was seen by residents of the Kingston Foreshore hovering over the lake about 3:00am.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.
Residents of Kingston Foreshore saw a helicopter hovering over the search area.

“Visibility at that time of the morning was poor, so we also undertook a thorough search of the area that he was last seen to find more information about the incident,” Detective Superintendent Scott Moller said.

“There are several persons of interest who we have identified as connected to this incident, and will be continuing our enquiries, which includes speaking to witnesses. I expect there will be further charges laid in the future.”

Much of the police search in daylight hours has focused on the water east of Kings Avenue Bridge, and the nearby shoreline.

It is not clear whether police believe the man drowned or made good in his escape. Officers said attempts were being made to identify the man.

The woman he was with was arrested and faced the ACT Magistrates Court this morning, along with two other women police said were linked to the incident.

The trio were charged with a range of vehicle and weapons offences.



Source link

Search underway after Brisbane man went for late-night beach swim


A frantic search is underway to locate a 25-year-old Brisbane man who went missing during a late-night swim on the Gold Coast.

Four people decided to take a dip at Surfers Paradise beach about 2.30am on Sunday, according to authorities.

It’s believed they were attending a work Christmas party and headed to the beach afterwards to celebrate.

However, police now hold “grave concerns” for the missing swimmer who never returned to shore.

In a press conference today, Queensland Police Chief Superintendent Mark Wheeler admitted he had “grave concerns” for the missing man.

“Four people went into the water in (the) Surfers Paradise main beach … Unfortunately, one of those people is still missing from that swim,” he said.

“We have deployed all available resources to try and locate that man.

“Of course, we do hold grave concerns for his safety.”

All day, authorities have been searching, going all the way up to the north of Surfers Paradise, but there has still been no sign of the man.

“I’m advised a number of people in that group came into difficulty as they were swimming,” Superintendent Wheeler added.

“The water was rough, the northerly sweeping through, and the conditions really weren’t set up for swimming, particularly at night. So we do hold concerns for that man.

“We’re doing everything we can to locate him.”

One reporter asked if the group were drunk when they went swimming, and Mr Wheeler said they knew the group had been celebrating and the potential of intoxication would “form part of our inquiries”.

Police were called to the Esplanade after the man didn’t return to shore.

An extensive search and rescue operation is now underway in an attempt to find the man.

The woman was uninjured but another man who returned to shore was treated by paramedics at the scene.

Water police, Volunteer Marine Rescue and Rescue 500 are involved in the search for the missing man.



Source link

Hong Kong manhunt under way after late-night knife attack on mainland billionaire Qian Fenglei, assistant in Wan Chai




Hong Kong police are hunting three men who allegedly assaulted mainland billionaire Qian Fenglei and his assistant with knives in Wan Chai at around midnight on Saturday.The attack happened as Qian, the 43-year-old director of Universal International Holdings (Hong Kong) Limited, was about to leave Harbour Road with his assistant, a 48-year-old man surnamed Fang.The force said several black-clad men wearing masks and brandishing knives suddenly exited a nearby car and launched their attack.Qian…



Source link

1 killed, 7 hurt in late-night stabbings in UK’s Birmingham


British police say a man was killed and seven people injured in late-night stabbings in a busy nightlife area of the central England city of Birmingham

LONDON — A man was killed and seven people injured in late-night stabbings in a busy nightlife area of the central England city of Birmingham, police said Sunday.

Police said they were searching for a lone suspect in what appeared to be random attacks.

Chief Superintendent Steve Graham of West Midlands Police said detectives were still investigating the motive but “there is absolutely no suggestion at all that this is terror-related.”

West Midlands Police said officers were called to reports of a stabbing shortly after midnight on Sunday. That was soon followed by reports of other stabbings across the city center over a period of about two hours.

Police said they believed the stabbings were linked and had launched a murder investigation.

Graham said two of the seven injured people, a man and a woman, were in critical condition in hospitals. Five others received “relatively minor” injuries.

The site of one attack is in the city’s Gay Village, but Graham said there was no suggestion the crime was “motivated by hate.”

Police cordoned off an area in the center of the city full of bars and nightclubs. Witnesses said they were busy on Saturday night, with many people eating and drinking at outdoor tables. More cordons and blue forensic tents were set up about half a mile away, near the city’s Snow Hill train station.

Cara Curran, a club promoter, said she saw multiple people fighting in the street.

“It was one group of boys against another group of boys,” she told the BBC, adding that “racial slurs” were being thrown.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said it was “a very serious incident. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.”

West Midlands Mayor Andy Street urged people “to not speculate about the incident” and to “remain calm but vigilant.”

Official statistics show knife crime is on the rise in the U.K., where most guns are outlawed, though the number of homicides with blades fell in 2019 from the year before.

Britain has seen several recent knife attacks, including a stabbing rampage in a city park in Reading, near London, in June that killed three people. A Libyan man has been charged.



Source link

Chaotic Scenes at Late-Night Protest in Rochester



Protesters took to the streets of Rochester, New York, on September 4, calling for justice for Daniel Prude, who died after being arrested by police. About a thousand people gathered in Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park to hear a speech from Prude’s brother, before marching in the streets, local media reported. Later in the evening, there were confrontations between police and protesters. Police fired tear gas and pepper balls at the crowd, according to reporters at the scene. Prude’s death was ruled a homicide, caused by “complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint,” media reported. Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren announced Thursday that the seven officers involved in Prude’s death had been suspended. Credit: Scotty DiMartino via Storyful



Source link