AFL 2020: Dean Laidley photo leak, Dani Laidley, former North Melbourne coach arrested, Victoria Police investigation, officers charged for leaking photos


Victoria Police have charged a detective leading senior constable over the alleged circulation of a photograph of former AFL coach Dani Laidley inside a police station, while hundreds of employees have been interviewed so far.

Ms Laidley, the former North Melbourne coach who has since undergone a gender transition, admitted in November to stalking but avoided a criminal conviction and was put on an adjourned undertaking to be of good behaviour for 18 months.

On May 3, after being arrested, two photographs of her inside a police station were leaked and widely shared on social media.

Get all the latest AFL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!

Grand Final

Victoria Police confirmed on Wednesday the officer had been charged with one count of unauthorised access of police information, four counts of unauthorised disclosure of police information and one count of misconduct in public office.



Source link

Adam Saad Carlton trade, Bombers leaking ‘bad comments’


Eddie McGuire has told Essendon to bite its tongue after the club reportedly aired the dirty laundry of star defender Adam Saad following his bombshell trade request this week.

It comes as Bombers legend Matthew Lloyd on Wednesday night declared star forward Joe Daniher’s request for a trade to Brisbane to be one of the “saddest days” he has seen at the club.

Watch the 2020 Toyota AFL Finals Series on Kayo with every game before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Star defender Saad’s trade request on Tuesday sent shockwaves through the AFL followed by reports he nominated the Blues as his preferred destination despite Carlton’s reported five-year deal being similar to the five-year, multi million-dollar offer Essendon had reportedly put on the table.

Despite finishing in the top four of the club’s best and fairest in all three seasons he was at the club, reports claim Saad simply lost faith in the club’s direction.

His announcement was followed this week by a report from Fox Footy’s Tom Morris, which suggested Saad had a “self-serving” quality and struggled to put the team first if it threatened his bread and butter of rebounding off the half back line.

That was followed on Wednesday night by a report from Caroline Wilson on Channel 9’s Footy Classified that Essendon personalities had leaked “bad comments” about Saad to her following his decision to walk out on the club.

Wilson said she was told Saad had a verbal altercation with former Bombers coach John Worsfold in front of teammates when he indicated he did not want to play a sacrificial role to lock down Lions star Charlie Cameron when the Bombers lost to the Lions by 63 points in Round 9.

“The club is saying to me that going back to Round 9 when Essendon was badly beaten by Brisbane on that night, the coach asked him to stand Charlie Cameron,” Wilson said.

“Cameron was seen as the key to the Brisbane Football Club as we know. I don’t think Adam was happy about that. In front of the other players he said that he would rather play the game he normally plays along the half back line. I think Cameron ended up kicking four goals that night.

“I’m not sure that he refused, but he argued with the coach about it.

“It’s interesting that Essendon are putting the bad comments out about him now when as you say they made him a pretty decent offer.”

McGuire responded to the story by saying: “Sometimes you need to bite your tongue. Essendon just need to let it go now”.

Lloyd said Saad’s decision “stings” the most — even more than Daniher’s departure.

“Don’t give me the talk tonight about (they players) not getting around (coach) Ben Rutten’s game plan,” he said.

“This is clearly a culture issue of players not being happy, not being content, not sure the direction of the club or if they are going to get any success there.

“So for such a proud, proud club, this is one of the saddest days that I think I’ve been involved with.”

The Bombers are at crisis point and speculation on Wednesday suggested the club should now be concerned about the future of star midfielder Zach Merrett.

The club will reportedly offer Merrett a five-year deal worth up to $900,000 per-season this off-season, according to The Herald Sun.

The panic button will be pushed if the 2021 season starts and Merrett remains unsigned.



Source link

Undrinkable tap-water and a leaking roof, K-Block’s list of defects goes on



Almost five months after the Tasmanian Government announced it would take possession of the newly built K-Block building at the Royal Hobart Hospital, the facility still does not have drinkable water running through many of its taps.

Staff have been forced to cart bottled water around the 10-storey building, and the Health and Community Services Union is questioning when the problem will be solved.

Union state secretary Tim Jacobson said the situation was unacceptable, and that staff had still not been told when drinking water was expected to flow freely.

“It’s meant that, in pretty well every case now, to get drinking water to the wards it has to be moved around in containers so that patients, staff and visitors have drinkable water,” Mr Jacobson said.

“There have been issues raised in relation to safety, but it’s an additional task that people are now being asked to perform on top of obviously the massive workloads that they’ve got right now.

“Staff are of the view that this is likely to go on forever, and the hospital needs to put in place better systems and processes to ensure that staff and patients and visitors have access to drinking water on a regular basis, and that isn’t something on top of the already-burdensome workload staff are being asked to perform.”

The State Government took possession of K-Block in March to ensure it would be operational in light of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Government was aware of lead contamination in the water supply at the time, saying flushing and testing of the water system would continue during operational commissioning, with alternative drinking water supplied to operational commissioning staff and contractors until then.

‘Hospital not fit for purpose’

At the end of last month, the Mental Health Inpatient Unit moved into K-Block, which the Government said marked the occupation of all 10 floors.

Labor health spokeswoman Sarah Lovell said the water issues raised questions over safety, as well as who would pay to fix them.

“It’s very concerning that they’ve taken over a hospital that is not fit for purpose,” she said.

“If the drinking water is not up to standard, they can’t argue that the drinking water is fit for purpose.”

Health Minister Sarah Courtney said a defect list was still being worked through with the managing contractor.

“Much of the drinking water issues have been resolved, however where drinking water is still undergoing testing, there is clear signage on those taps and we’re also ensuring we have bottled water available,” she said.

“It’s my very clear expectation that we make sure we have safe water for our staff and our patients.”

Not the end of the issues

K-Block has also faced water issues of a different kind.

The reception area has been leaking after incidents of heavy rainfall, including after last week’s heavy downpours.

“It has to be an embarrassment to the Government and to the hospital that the new front entrance has buckets and towels down soaking up a significant amount of water when we get a deluge like we’ve had over the past week or so,” Mr Jacobson said.

Ms Courtney said the reception area leak was also on the defect list.

“My expectation is it will be fixed as quickly as possible,” she said.

Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation branch secretary Emily Shepherd said there were also communication issues in K-Block.

“There are mobile blackspot issues in some areas, we understand that a permanent fix is being worked on,” she said.

The Government said the builder was responsible for fixing any issues in a timely manner and at its own expense.



Source link

COVID-19 leaking from Wuhan laboratory is the ‘only plausible explanation’



Author Clive Hamilton says the idea the coronavirus originated in December in a Wuhan wet market “simply doesn’t stack up,” as evidence mounts that the virus in fact leaked from the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

US and UK intelligence agencies are currently reviewing private analysis of cell phone location data which purports to show the Wuhan Institute of Virology shut down from October 7 through to October 24.

Mr Hamilton told Sky News host Sharri Markson there is a great deal of evidence which shows many cases of COVID-19 befell people in Wuhan who had “no contact” with the wet markets, nor contact with anybody who did.

“The only other plausible explanation is that it was a leak from the Wuhan Institute of Virology”.

He said this hypothesis has been supported by Chinese scientists as the laboratory notoriously handled the “most dangerous viruses in the world, including some bat coronaviruses”.

Image: Getty



Source link