As the holidays are fast approaching, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced that on New Year’s Eve, more relaxed health orders will be introduced in her state. Thus, she is allowing a few celebrations.
She emphasized that up to 3,000 people would be able to attend outdoor events on New Year’s Eve, given that they meet the specific COVID guidelines.
This was in line with the records that there were no locally acquired cases in NSW in the 24 hours to 8:00 PM, which means there has not been locally acquired case found in the state for 12 consecutive days.
However, there were five cases found among returned travellers, currently undergoing hotel quarantine.
Ms Berejiklian announced the relaxation of rules to allow people to organize their Christmas and New Year’s Eve celebrations.
“Even though we’re easing these restrictions as one-offs, it doesn’t reduce how contagious the virus is or how concerned we might be if suddenly an outbreak consumed a large number of people in a particular location,” she said.
She emphasized that everyone is responsible for keeping the community safe, hence encouraging everyone to work together.
If a few requirements, though, are included with this ease. For example, on New Year’s Eve, anyone visiting friends or family who live in Sydney’s CBD will be required to carry a permit to do so.
In addition, choirs of up to 30 members will be allowed to perform from November 23 onwards. However, anyone singing in the audience will be required to wear a mask.
Events with allocated seating will allow one person per 2 square metres, while events, where people are sitting on picnic rugs, will require people to adhere to the 4-square-metre rule.
Outdoor religious gatherings will be mitigated to a capacity of 500 people. Funerals, on the other hands, will increase capacity to 300 people starting December 1.
Ms Berejiklian said she was keeping a “watching brief” on the situation over the next few days but said she was considering easing the indoor 2-square-metre rule and increasing the number of visitors allowed in homes.
Stuart Ayres, Minister for Tourism, announced a new public health order. It would create a restricted zone in and around Sydney’s CBD. Therefore, anyone hoping to attend New Year’s Eve functions within that said zone will need to apply through Service NSW from December 7.
Fireworks vantage points in Sydney’s CBD were also previously indicated by the NSW Government. Places such as the Opera House, Mrs Macquarie’s Chair and Campbell’s Cove will be restricted this year to frontline workers.
Concerts, otherwise, would be broadcasted on live television and Mr Ayres encouraged anyone to watch from home this year should they fail to have a reservation.