Charnwood stabbing accused Jayscen Anthony Newby pleads guilty to murder



A Canberra man has pleaded guilty to murder after stabbing another man to death in the city’s north last year.

Jayscen Anthony Newby, 27, handed himself in to police hours after the murder of 27-year-old Frankie Victor Prineas on January 11, 2020, in Charnwood.

After initially pleading not guilty to murder, Newby today changed his plea to guilty in the ACT Supreme Court.

The court heard Newby decided to plead guilty after accepting that his act, which he said was intended to cause serious harm, caused the death of Mr Prineas.

The prosecutor said the parties were yet to agree on a finalised statement of facts, which would be referred to at Newby’s sentencing.

Several of Mr Prineas’ family members cried as Newby entered his plea before one of the victim’s supporters yelled, “Look at this woman in the face you piece of s**t” as he was led away by corrections staff.

The details of what happened on the night Mr Prineas was killed are yet to be revealed in court.

Victim had ‘extensive’ stab wounds

On January 11 last year, police received reports of a disturbance at a townhouse in Charnwood around 1:30am.

Emergency services found Mr Prineas at the scene with “extensive” stab wounds, and he died on the way to the hospital.

The death prompted an “extensive search” by police, ending when Mr Newby handed himself in at the City Police Station that afternoon.

Two months later it was revealed in court Newby would fight the murder charge, before he formally changed his plea today.

The case will return to court next month.

Thank you for visiting My Local Pages and checking out this article regarding ACT and Australian news named “Charnwood stabbing accused Jayscen Anthony Newby pleads guilty to murder”. This news release was posted by My Local Pages as part of our news aggregator services.

#Charnwood #stabbing #accused #Jayscen #Anthony #Newby #pleads #guilty #murder



Source link