Patriots QB Newton hopes to start, not retire



Dec 20, 2020; Miami Gardens, Florida, USA; New England Patriots quarterback Cam Newton (1) reacts prior to the game against the Miami Dolphins at Hard Rock Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

December 21, 2020

Cam Newton might be headed toward free agency, but the New England Patriots’ quarterback is not thinking about retirement.

“No, I’m not there,” he said Monday on the Greg Hill Show. “I still have a lot of football left. I still want to play football. I have the urge to be better. After putting out this film? Hey, c’mon now. I definitely can’t go out like this.”

Newton and the Patriots lost Sunday and were eliminated from playoff contention for the first time since 2008. The 22-12 loss to the Miami Dolphins underscored a number of needs, head coach Bill Belichick allowed, and sends the Patriots to a full offseason of rebuilding for the first time in nearly two decades.

“I have to coach better, we have to play better, we have to tackle better, a combination of all of those things,” Belichick said Sunday after the Dolphins amassed 250 rushing yards.

Newton, 31, signed a one-year deal with the Patriots after being released by the Carolina Panthers. He said the tale of the 2020 season for the Patriots has been coming up short.

Now it’s to be determined whether the Patriots, or another team, will give Newton a shot to prove this season was an anomaly. Newton remained unsigned for several weeks when he was cut by the Panthers in April.

The Patriots have gone 21 possessions without a touchdown. Up next is a Monday night date in Week 16 with the AFC East champion Buffalo Bills.

Belichick could decide to try 2019 fourth-round pick Jarrett Stidham with the playoffs no longer a possibility.

“Listen, I’m just going to keep doing what I’m asked to do, and for me, I’ve just got to keep getting better,” said Newton, the MVP of the 2015 season. “Keep doing what’s asked of me and go over and beyond and try to learn the system each and every week. I know we’re in the latter part of the season, but still try to learn as much as possible.”

–Field Level Media





Source link

Shawn Newton found guilty of murder of Rebecca Gascoigne after Mitchell Freeway body discovery


A Perth man who claimed he was framed by corrupt police has been found guilty of murdering his girlfriend after her body was found by police in the boot of a car on the Mitchell Freeway in Perth.

WARNING: This story contains graphic content that some readers may find upsetting.

Shawn Adam Newton was convicted of the crime in September but the verdict was suppressed until today because he was facing other charges which have now been dealt with.

He has been in custody since July 2017, when he was arrested for the murder at a northern suburbs tavern while he was drinking a beer and wearing a wig.

That was 10 days after the body of Rebecca Jane Gascoigne was discovered by police when a motorist, Gavin Barr, waved them down on the Mitchell Freeway.

Rebecca Gascoigne was repeatedly assaulted before her body was locked the boot of the car.(Supplied: WA Police)

Mr Barr, who was Ms Gascoigne’s housemate in Scarborough, was a crucial witness at Newton’s trial earlier this year, testifying he was present during the fatal assault.

Victim assaulted, rolled in carpet

The Supreme Court was told Ms Gascoigne and Newton had been in a relationship for about six weeks and prosecutors alleged he killed her because she wanted to end it.

Mr Barr claimed when he arrived home on the night of the murder, Newton had threatened him with a gun and a knife before making him lie on his stomach next to Ms Gascoigne, who already had her hands and feet bound with zip ties.

headshot, man with shaved head not smiling.
Newton claimed he had been “framed” for the murder and said his flatmate was the real killer.(Supplied: WA Police)

Mr Barr told the court he saw Newton repeatedly punch Ms Gascoigne in the head before wrapping cling film around her face and putting a bag over her head, which he secured with tape.

Mr Barr said Newton then rolled her in carpet while continuing to assault her.

He claimed Newton told him he would kill him if he did not help dispose of Ms Gascoigne’s body, which was put in the boot of a car before they then drove away.

Newton blamed flatmate for murder

Mr Barr testified he managed to escape in the car when Newton got out at Kallaroo beach.

He drove along the Mitchell Freeway and when he saw police cars he pulled over and flagged them down, telling them Ms Gascoigne was in the boot.

The boot of a car with a blanket inside.
The boot of Mr Newton’s car, where the body of Ms Gascoigne was found by police.(Supplied: WA Supreme Court)

Newton went on the run for 10 days before police tracked him down to a tavern in Hillarys.

He claimed he had been “framed” for the murder, arguing at his trial that Mr Barr was “the real killer”.

Newton’s lawyer Simon Watters accused Mr Barr of lying and claimed he had planned to kill Ms Gascoigne after keeping her in his flat “as nothing short of a sex slave”.

But Mr Barr denied the allegations, testifying he would have needed to be a “criminal mastermind” to pull off such a crime.

Acquaintance felt ‘obligated’ to help

In his evidence, Newton maintained he was at the home of an acquaintance who he had only met that night at the time of Ms Gascoigne’s alleged murder.

He testified after he was charged with her murder, he saw the acquaintance again in his unit at Hakea prison and when they started talking about his case, the inmate offered to give evidence as part of his defence.

Night shot of a man wearing a cap backwards and a Comancheros sweatshirt.
Newton went on the run for 10 days before police found him at the pub in Hillarys.(Supplied: WA Supreme Court)

But in a phone call to his partner, recorded by the prison and played to the court, the acquaintance Liam O’Neill was heard saying he was “really unsure” about the dates he was with Newton and that he had not wanted to help him, but felt obligated.

Newton’s trial was heard by a judge sitting without a jury, and when Justice Michael Corboy delivered his verdict Newton yelled “you’ve made a shocking decision, a terrible decision, based on police corruption”.

Newton was also found guilty of unlawfully detaining Mr Barr and threatening him.

Today his lawyer, Terry Dobson told the court Newton did not accept the verdicts and maintained that he did not kill Ms Gascoigne.



Source link

NFL 2020: Stephon Gilmore, Cam Newton, wife denies dinner, New England Patriots


Dinner for two is off the table.

The reported dinner between Patriots teammates Cam Newton and Stephon Gilmore – which surfaced after Gilmore tested positive for COVID-19 following Newton’s diagnosis – never happened, according to Gilmore’s wife.

Watch an average of 5 games each week of the NFL regular season LIVE on ESPN with Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

“There was no dinner out,” Gilmore’s wife, Gabrielle, wrote on Twitter. “I’m going to help you out so you guys stop reporting false news.”

She later added, “I’ve seen it circulating a couple times and now I’m annoyed lol,” and “I need my own show if you’re allowed to do these terrible takes and still have listeners.”

ESPN first reported that Newton and Gilmore had dinner together.

Newton tested positive for the virus before an early October game against the Kansas City Chiefs and did not play.

Gilmore travelled with the team and played in the game before his positive test was revealed days after. A result which caused widespread panic after he was filmed getting close to Chiefs megastar Patrick Mahomes after the game.

Gilmore’s wife previously tweeted that her husband had four negative tests prior to facing the Chiefs.

The Patriots-Denver Broncos game originally scheduled for last weekend was moved to next weekend. The Patriots closed their facility and practised just once last week to try to limit the possibility of a team-wide outbreak, like the one that impacted the Titans.

Patriots defensive linemen Bill Murray and Byron Coward also wound up on the COVID-19 list but were not reported to be at the alleged dinner.

This article originally appeared on the NY Post and was reproduced with permission.



Source link

Cam Newton tests positive as two NFL games postponed due to positive coronavirus cases


Coronavirus has forced the postponement or cancellation of games across Europe and America’s major sporting leagues this weekend as key players recorded positive test results.

Matches in the NFL, Italy’s Serie A and England’s Rugby Union Premiership have all been impacted, raising significant questions about the immediate viability of those competitions.

The hiatus for major leagues across the world caused enough financial pain to make its resumption inevitable.

And while various sporting organisations have experimented with centralised hubs and COVID bubbles amidst a range of biosecurity measures, those that have opted to maintain as normal a regime as possible are starting to feel the pinch.

The comparatively smooth ride Australian sport in particular has had since resuming operations may have given off the impression that sport’s COVID-safe bubbles are nigh-on impenetrable.

However, the reality has started to bite elsewhere around the world, with matches starting to be affected.

Cam Newton positive causes NFL chaos

New England quarterback Cam Newton is the highest-profile named player to catch coronavirus in the NFL.

His positive has meant that the NFL has been forced to postpone the New England Patriots trip to reigning Super Bowl champions Kansas City.

Loading

A league statement said the Sunday afternoon game would now be played on “Monday or Tuesday” after “positive COVID-19 tests on both teams”.

Kansas City Chiefs backup quarterback Jordan Ta’amu was also named as having recorded a positive test.

“In consultation with infectious disease experts, both clubs are working closely with the NFL and the NFLPA to evaluate multiple close contacts, perform additional testing and monitor developments,” the statement read.

NFL players and coaches are tested daily and are required to wear masks when visiting practice facilities and when travelling to and from games.

Players have also been given strict instructions not to engage in “high-risk activities” but are not isolated away from the general public in a COVID-safe bubble, like the NBA and NHL.

To put an Australian spin on things, the NFL is following a similar system to the NRL.

Of course, coronavirus is much more prevalent in the US than it is in Australia, and the NFL has not had the relative luxury of being able to move a team from a more high-risk area to a lower-risk location like the NRL did with the Melbourne Storm.

All of that means these positive cases are not a surprise.

The NFL’s chief medical officer, Allen Sills, said he would “expect to have positive cases” over the course of the season.

That pre-season prediction has come true, with the Patriots-Chiefs game the second to be postponed in a week.

Earlier in the week, the Tennessee Titans-Pittsburgh Steelers clash was the first game to be postponed after a confirmed positive case in the Titans set up.

That one positive has turned into the NFL’s first cluster, with 16 cases currently confirmed among staff and players.

Delaying matches for any reasonable amount of time could result in a monumental fixture headache for league organisers to shift through.

After all, there’s not much wiggle-room in a 17-week season.

Major League Baseball also had to adapt to this scenario when a number of teams were forced into isolation after cases were recorded across a number of teams.

However, baseball players are used to a hectic schedule of multiple matches per week and were able to make up the games over the course of their truncated season.

The NFL though, is a different beast due to its arduous, high-contact nature.

Having one or more teams delaying their matches only to then play multiple games in a week further down the track is simply not feasible without the team on a short turnaround being at a major disadvantage.

Europe’s sports leagues fixture postponements

The NFL’s situation is being mirrored in Europe, which is grappling with the impacts of a second wave of positive tests.



Source link

Romanian police uncover rare books of Galileo and Newton stolen in $4.4m heist


Police in Romania have uncovered a number of “irreplaceable” books including first editions of works by Galileo Galilei and Isaac Newton.

The books were stolen in a sophisticated 2017 heist from a warehouse in London, police and the European Union’s judicial cooperation agency said.

The stash of some 200 rare and valuable books was discovered on Wednesday (local time) hidden in a concealed space under a house in rural Romania.

London’s Met Police said in a statement that the recovered books have a combined value of more than 2.5 million pounds ($4.4 million).

“These books are extremely valuable, but more importantly they are irreplaceable and are of great importance to international cultural heritage,” Detective Inspector Andy Durham said in a statement.

Thieves cut a hole in the roof of a London warehouse and abseiled through it to steal the books in 2017.(AP: Romanian Police)

The books were stolen in a raid on a warehouse in west London.

Burglars cut holes in the roof and abseiled down into the building to avoid motion detectors, loaded the books into 16 large bags and clambered back up the ropes to make their getaway through the roof, police said.

A joint investigation involving police from London, Romania and the Carabinieri in Italy, supported by EU agencies Europol and Eurojust in The Hague, identified 11 similar burglaries across Britain, that netted some 2 million pounds ($3.5 million) worth of stolen property.

The Met Police said a Romanian organised crime gang was responsible.

The probe led to a series of raids in the three countries in June 2019 and the arrest of 13 suspects who were later charged in the UK.

The Met said that 12 suspects have pleaded guilty and will face sentencing hearings starting later this month.

The 13th suspect is scheduled to go on trial in March.

AP



Source link

Patriots confirm signing of quarterback Newton



Aug 26, 2016; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton (1) looks to pass the ball during the second quarter against the New England Patriots at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports / Reuters
Picture Supplied by Action Images

July 9, 2020

(Reuters) – The New England Patriots have completed the signing of veteran quarterback Cam Newton, the NFL team said on Wednesday.

ESPN reported last month that the former NFL Most Valuable Player had agreed a one-year deal with the Patriots following six-time Super Bowl winner Tom Brady’s move to Tampa Bay.

Newton spent nine seasons with the Carolina Panthers, taking the team to Super Bowl 50, where they lost to the Denver Broncos. The Panthers released him in March.

“The New England Patriots officially announced the signing of veteran QB Cam Newton today,” the Patriots said on their website https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-sign-qb-cam-newton.

Newton, the first overall pick in the 2011 draft, underwent foot surgery in December after injury limited him to two games in 2019. The league’s official website https://www.nfl.com/news/cam-newton-officially-becomes-a-new-england-patriot said the deal could earn Newton up to $7.5 million.

The 31-year-old holds the NFL record for most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback in a single season with 14 in 2011.

He is also the only NFL player to have at least six seasons with 3,000 or more passing yards and 500 or more rushing yards at any point in his career.

(Reporting by Simon Jennings in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Rutherford)





Source link