Nicolas Pepe sent off in Arsenal-Leeds draw


Leno did well again to keep out a fierce drive from Stuart Dallas and then substitute Rodrigo crashed a shot against the bar from the edge of the area.

Arsenal, who are without a goal from open play in almost eight hours of football, nearly grabbed a winner, against the run of play, when Hector Bellerin put Bukayo Saka through on goal but he was unable to round Leeds keeper Illan Meslier.

The hosts kept Arsenal gloveman Bernd Leno busy throughout.Credit:Getty

Leeds struck the woodwork twice in the latter stages with Bamford heading against the post and Raphinha also striking the upright deep in stoppage time.

Bielsa was left to rue his team’s failure to find the net despite all their pressure and efforts on goal.

“We are frustrated as we could have won the game. We tried to create danger in different ways, through the wings, long distance and in a smaller sense through balls through the middle. In these three ways we were able to create danger but not able to convert,” said the Argentine.

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta reluctantly agreed the draw was an acceptable result for his team, given they played almost half the game a man down.

“It is a point. I am never happy with a draw but considering the circumstance it is one we take and move on,” he said.

Asked about Pepe’s dismissal, Arteta had a blunt answer: “It is unacceptable. Unacceptable. At this level you cannot do it.”

The Gunners are 11th on 13 points from nine games after their first draw of the season with Leeds 14th on 11.

Everton’s in-form striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin netted a brace and midfielder Abdoulaye Doucoure scored his first goal for the club as they beat Fulham 3-2 to return to winning ways.

Everton’s rise to the top of the table last month delighted supporters but the early optimism had faded somewhat after three straight defeats before the encounter at Craven Cottage. Carlo Ancelotti’s side did not wait long to reignite their season.

Everton's Dominic Calvert-Lewin in action against Fulham.

Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin in action against Fulham.Credit:AP

Brazilian forward Richarlison, returning from a three-match ban, picked up a loose ball and ran wide to cross for Calvert-Lewin who tapped in his ninth league goal of the campaign 42 seconds into the contest.

Fulham hit back through Bobby De Cordova-Reid’s neat finish on 15 minutes but Everton continued to threaten and were unlucky not go ahead 2-1 as Calvert-Lewin’s effort was chalked off for offside and Richarlison’s low shot was pushed away.

The visitors carved Fulham open again as Alex Iwobi switched play from the right and James Rodriguez fed Lucas Digne, who produced a first-time ball for Calvert-Lewin to stroke in and top the season’s scoring charts.

Digne looked lively in an advanced role and was involved in Everton’s third, firing in a cross for Doucoure to head home in the 35th minute and open his Toffees account after joining from Watford in the close season.

Sheffield United's John Fleck beats West Ham's Vladimir Coufal to the ball  at Bramall Lane on Sunday.

Sheffield United’s John Fleck beats West Ham’s Vladimir Coufal to the ball at Bramall Lane on Sunday.Credit:AP

“It was a difficult game, difficult to prepare. It was a good first half … in the second half we lost energy and had difficulties,” Ancelotti said.

Fulham pulled one back shortly after Ivan Cavaleiro slipped and missed a penalty in the second half, as substitute Ruben Loftus-Cheek scored via a deflection off Everton defender Yerry Mina to ensure a tight finish.

“There were individual errors but I’m not looking at that,” Fulham boss Scott Parker said. “Second half there was a reaction but it shouldn’t come from a rollicking at half-time.”

Loading

Parker conceded his team had a problem with penalties. Fulham have missed five of their last eight penalties in the league and Parker suggested there could be a new face to take up the responsibility from Portugal forward Cavaleiro.

“You couldn’t have written it when he slipped and missed,” Parker told reporters. “There is no denying we have an issue with penalties. We’ll keep working and training to see who is the best to take them.

“We can cause teams problems and be successful but we have deficiencies. It’s a young team and we need to drill the message home. We’ve built a bond and we’re doing everything in our power to keep improving.”

Reuters

Sport newsletter

Sports news, results and expert commentary delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to the Herald‘s weekday newsletter here and The Age‘s weekly newsletter here.

Most Viewed in Sport

Loading



Source link

Wallabies vs Argentina Tri Nations Rugby 2020: Taniela Tupou vs Nicolas Sanchez fight video, Big Mac


Wallabies prop Taniela Tupou was left far from impressed with Argentine Nicolas Sanchez after the latter’s push to the face sparked a mini scuffle.

Tempers between Australia and Argentina threatened to boil over just before half-time of Saturday night’s Tri-Nations clash after Tupou and Sanchez clashed.

After Tupou picked a loose ball up, Sanchez swatted it out of Tupou’s hands, leading to a few pushes between the two players.

Watch every match of the 2020 Tri Nations Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly



Source link

US Charges Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro With Drug Trafficking


The journalists at BuzzFeed News are proud to bring you trustworthy and relevant reporting about the coronavirus. To help keep this news free, become a member and sign up for our newsletter, Outbreak Today.

The Trump administration on Thursday charged Nicolás Maduro and 14 other high-ranking Venezuelan officials with narcoterrorism, drug trafficking, corruption, and other crimes, accusing them of using cocaine as a “weapon” to “flood the US.”

Two federal indictments unsealed Thursday allege that Maduro and former and current officials in his regime partnered with dissidents of FARC — a violent rebel group in Colombia — for 20 years to engage in drug trafficking, causing “tons of cocaine to enter and devastate American communities.”

The Department of Justice alleged that Maduro and other officials “expressly intended to flood the United States with cocaine in order to undermine the health and wellbeing of our nation.”

“Maduro very deliberately deployed cocaine as a weapon,” US Attorney Geoffrey S. Berman said Thursday. “As alleged, the defendants betrayed the Venezuelan people and corrupted Venezuelan institutions to line their pockets with drug money.”

The US government is offering a reward of up to $15 million for information leading to Maduro’s arrest.

Sitting foreign leaders normally enjoy diplomatic immunity in other countries, but the US and dozens of other nations recognize opposition leader Juan Guaidó as Venezuela’s legitimate president. The indictments against Maduro call him the “former president.”

The sweeping indictments against Maduro are the highest escalation of US efforts to topple Maduro’s socialist government, a month after Trump called him “an illegitimate ruler” and a “tyrant” whose “grip on tyranny will be smashed and broken,” during his State of the Union address.

Maduro’s regime is “awash with criminality and corruption,” Attorney General William Barr said Thursday.

The indictments allege that Maduro and his officials led and managed a drug-trafficking organization called the “Cartel of the Suns.”

The cartel “sought to not only enrich its members and enhance their power, but also to flood the United States with cocaine and inflict the drug’s harmful and addictive effects on users in the United States,” the Justice Department said.

Barr addressed the decision to charge Maduro during the coronavirus pandemic, saying that Venezuelans were “suffering,” and accused Maduro’s government of blocking essential supplies.

Barr said the best way to support the people of Venezuela would be to “rid the country of this corrupt cabal.”



Source link