At least 100 people are now known to have been killed in attacks by suspected jihadists on two villages in Niger, the country’s prime minister has said.
During remarks aired on national television during a visit to the area, Mr Rafini did not say who was behind one of the deadliest days in recent memory for a country ravaged by ethnic violence and Islamist militancy.
The violence is part of a wider security crisis in West Africa’s Sahel region that has unnerved Western allies like France, which has poured troops and resources into the region.
At least 35 civilians, mostly women, were killed in an attack by jihadists in northern Burkina Faso last month, while the country’s army claimed to have killed a dozen militants who were involved in an attack on a military convoy.
Niger has also seen tit-for-tat killings between rival ethnic communities that have been stoked by the jihadist violence and competition for scarce resources.
Saturday’s attacks came on the same day the country’s electoral commission announced the results from the first round of the election to replace President Mahamadou Issoufou, who is stepping down after a decade in power.
Ruling party candidate Mohamed Bazoum, who came first, expressed his condolences on Sunday to the victims.
The attacks, he said in a video he posted on social media, “remind us that terrorist groups constitute a grave threat to cohesion within communities unlike any other”.
Mr Bazoum will face former president Mahamane Ousmane in a second round run-off expected on 21 February.
Thank you for dropping in to My Local Pages and checking this post about International and world news and updates named “Niger: Death toll from suspected militant attacks rises to 100, PM says | World News”. This article was brought to you by MyLocalPages as part of our local and national news services.
#Niger #Death #toll #suspected #militant #attacks #rises #World #News