Serena Williams notches comfortable victory, Tomic suffers injury setback in Australian Open warm-ups



Serena Williams wins her first match of the 2021 tennis season with a straight-sets victory over Daria Gavrilova, while Bernard Tomic suffers a setback ahead of the Australian Open.

Thank you for stopping to visit My Local Pages. We Hope you enjoyed checking this news article regarding national news called “Serena Williams notches comfortable victory, Tomic suffers injury setback in Australian Open warm-ups”. This news release was shared by My Local Pages as part of our news aggregator services.

#Serena #Williams #notches #comfortable #victory #Tomic #suffers #injury #setback #Australian #Open #warmups



Source link

Victoria notches a fourth consecutive day without any new community coronavirus cases


Victoria has recorded a fourth consecutive day of no local or interstate acquired COVID-19 cases, despite scores of people making a mad rush to the state from Greater Brisbane.

Almost 100 people arrived in Victoria from Greater Brisbane on Saturday, despite being told to stay put during that region’s lockdown.

“We’ve taken their details and they’re in home quarantine until Monday night,” a government spokeswoman said.

The Victorian government said on Saturday evening that 96 people had arrived from Brisbane or other locations deemed hot spots on Saturday.

The arrivals have occurred during a three-day lockdown of the Greater Brisbane region which started on Friday at 6pm and after advice from Victoria’s chief health officer telling people to stay put until the lockdown was over.

Victoria’s borders closed at 11.59pm Friday to anyone who has been in Brisbane City, Moreton Bay, Redland, Ipswich and Logan on or after Saturday 2 January.

This caused a rush out of the state as interstate residents tried to get home.

The government spokeswoman said 50 per cent of Saturday’s volume in Victorian virus-testing sites had come from travellers from Queensland.

Sunday was the state’s fourth consecutive day without a locally acquired case, but six new cases were recorded in hotel quarantine.

People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others. Check your jurisdiction’s restrictions on gathering limits.

If you are experiencing cold or flu symptoms, stay home and arrange a test by calling your doctor or contact the Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080. News and information is available in 63 languages at sbs.com.au/coronavirus.

Please check the relevant guidelines for your state or territory: NSWVictoriaQueenslandWestern AustraliaSouth AustraliaNorthern TerritoryACTTasmania.

Thanks for seeing this news article involving the latest Victoria News items titled “Victoria notches a fourth consecutive day without any new community coronavirus cases”. This article was presented by My Local Pages as part of our local news services.

#Victoria #notches #fourth #consecutive #day #community #coronavirus #cases



Source link

Surrey high school notches 50 COVID-19 cases across 5 classes


A Surrey high school is notifying parents of an alarming number of Covid-19 cases that required affected individuals in the school to self-isolate over the winter break.

In a letter obtained by Global News that was sent to parents on January 3, Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jordan Tinney advises that 50 cases involving individuals across five classes sharing common areas and structures had been identified, and letters sent to those affected individuals to self-isolate over the holidays.

Tinney adds that notices continued to be sent during the break “due to the tracing and new information that was coming to light after the winter break began but related to that last week of school.”

He says a series of letters sent by Fraser Health Authority several other classes in the school “was a precautionary measure, and Fraser Health believes that there was no further transmission beyond this core group (of 50 cases across five classes).”

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
Fraser Health declares COVID-19 outbreak at Newton Elementary School in Surrey

A number of concerned parents posting on the Facebook B.C. School Covid Tracker page expressed concern as to why an outbreak has not been declared at the school, so close to the return to school date of January 4.

In late November, Fraser Health declared an outbreak at Newton Elementary School in Surrey involving 16 positive Covid cases.

A spokesperson for Surrey Schools in an email deferred to Fraser Health with respect to when an outbreak is declared, saying the school district “relies on the advice of our medical health experts to guide the safe operation of our schools.”

Fraser Health’s website defines an outbreak as “multiple individuals with lab-confirmed COVID-19 infection when transmission is likely widespread within the school setting.” The site currently reports ‘No reported exposures at this time’ for Surrey School District #36.

Read more:
COVID-19-stricken B.C. school ‘should have been closed a week ago,’ say parents

Tinney advises parents that the school district is “implementing further health and safety measures inside and outside our school”, though it is not clear if he is referring to Earl Marriott exclusively or other schools within the district as well.

Story continues below advertisement

The Superintendent says the district has “subsequently met with Fraser Health to learn more about those closing days and how we might review and adjust our plans as we open for January.”

He adds that the district is working with the health authority to avoid similar situations in the future, and reminding parents to do a daily health check and not send a sick child to school.

Global News has reached out for more clarification from Superintendent Tinney and Fraser Health on what these measures entail, and how this will affect students and parents going forward.




© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Thank you for dropping by My Local Pages and seeing this news release involving Canada news published as “Surrey high school notches 50 COVID-19 cases across 5 classes”. This story is brought to you by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our Australian news services.

#Surrey #high #school #notches #COVID19 #cases #classes



Source link

TIME notches US$223.3mil revenue in 9M 2020, 11% increase over corresponding 2019 period


  • 11% Y-o-Y revenue recorded across all core product & core customer groups
  • Consolidated PBT grew to US$77mil, 100% network availability a key priority

TIME dotCom Bhd has announced its financial results for the nine-month period ended 30 September 2020 (9M 2020) with a consolidated Group revenue of US$223.3 million (RM908.3 million), an 11% increase over the corresponding period in 2019 owing to increased revenue growth across all core product and customer groups.

The group also posted a consolidated profit before tax of US$77.1 million (RM313.8 million) for the current nine month period under review, which is RM65.6 million higher than the consolidated profit before tax recorded in 9M 2019 of RM248.2 million. This was driven by higher overall revenue growth, lower interest expense and a higher share of profit from associates.

[RM1 = US$0.24]

TIME notches US$223.3mil revenue in 9M 2020, 11% increase over corresponding 2019 period“The group remains vigilant of the external factors impacting the business and the telecommunications industry. Our strategy of focusing on our fundamental areas of strength has aided us in adapting to the various challenges posed by the changing market landscape in 2020,” said Afzal Abdul Rahim (pic), TIME’s Commander-in-Chief.

 

Outlook

The remainder of 2020 will remain challenging as the economy continues to face uncertainties arising from the Covid-19 pandemic. While impact on TIME’s business has been relatively modest, the group will continue to monitor for any changes or developments and stay prepared to take pro-active measures in order to continue protecting and safeguarding its employees, while minimising any potential disruptions to its business.

TIME continues to prioritise 100% network availability and stability in supporting the shift in usage behaviour to working and learning from home as well as the accelerated adoption of digital initiatives. Over the medium-term, the group is also fully committed to supporting the nation’s aspirations to developing the nation’s digital economy, which include delivering seamless digital connectivity and elevating quality of experience for Malaysians under the JENDELA initiative.

On the regional front, increasing demand for cross-border connectivity across ASEAN is an opportunity that TIME will continue to work with its partners in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia to tap. The group is also on track to establish itself as a key regional data centre player with both its new data centres in Thailand and Cyberjaya expected to be operational before the end of the year, ensuring longer term strategic benefits and continued future growth of the Group.



Source link

Samoa’s PM calls for calm after the country notches its first coronavirus case



Samoa announced its first case of COVID-19 on Thursday, as the coronavirus pandemic continued to spread to previously untouched Pacific island nations.

Prime Minister Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi called for calm in the nation of 200,000 after confirming a man who flew into the country last Friday tested positive while in managed isolation.

“We now have one case and will be added to the countries of the world that have the coronavirus,” the mask-wearing leader said during a televised address on Thursday.

Until recently, the remote Pacific islands were among the most successful in the world at keeping out the virus after closing their borders early in response to the threat, despite the huge cost to tourism-reliant economies.

But in the past two months, Vanuatu, the Solomon Islands, the Marshall Islands and now Samoa have lost their coveted virus-free status, although none have so far reported community transmission.

The island nations and territories of Kiribati, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Tonga, and Tuvalu are believed to still be free of the virus.

The cautious approach adopted in the Pacific islands was prompted by fears they are particularly vulnerable because of poor hospital infrastructure and high rates of underlying health conditions such as obesity and heart disease.

The devastation a viral outbreak can create in such a fragile environment was demonstrated during a measles epidemic in Samoa late last year that claimed 83 lives, most of them babies and toddlers.

Mr Malielegaoi said the infected man, a sailor, had arrived on a repatriation flight via Auckland, one of the few border arrivals Samoa has allowed in recent months.

He did not say where the man was previously based but said he tested negative before departing New Zealand but a swab came back positive on Tuesday.

He said an announcement would be made later Thursday on whether any measures would be introduced among the general population to prevent the virus spreading.

People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others. Check your jurisdiction’s restrictions on gathering limits.

If you are experiencing cold or flu symptoms, stay home and arrange a test by calling your doctor or contact the Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080. News and information is available in 63 languages at https://sbs.com.au/coronavirus

Please check the relevant guidelines for your state or territory: NSW,VictoriaQueenslandWestern AustraliaSouth AustraliaNorthern TerritoryACTTasmania.



Source link