An overnight grassfire has caused significant damage to Marino Conservation Park in Adelaide’s south.
A fire has burnt about half of Marino Conservation Park
Police said dozens of firefighters worked to bring the blaze under control within an hour
In separate blazes, police believe a Kilburn house fire may have been deliberately lit and a grassfire is burning on Kangaroo Island
It started just before 11:00pm.
Trains running on the Seaford line were briefly halted after the fire jumped the train tracks.
Seventy-five firefighters brought it under control within an hour, protecting nearby houses.
The Metropolitan Fire Service said the western side of the 30-hectare conservation park was entirely blackened by the blaze, which has now been extinguished.
Separately, police said a house fire in Adelaide’s north this morning might have been deliberately lit.
It happened at Galway Street in Kilburn about 8:00am.
Emergency crews say the blaze was towards the front door of the home, which was unoccupied at the time.
The fire was quickly extinguished and investigations are underway.
And a fire at Nepean Bay, about 5 kilometres north-west of American River on Kangaroo Island continues to burn into its second day.
The fire started in grassland north of Flea Castle Road at about 3:00pm on Friday and spread into heavy scrub.
A damaging wind warning is in place for large parts of South Australia this afternoon, including Adelaide, Port Lincoln, Mount Gambier, Maitland, Murray Bridge, Kingscote, Naracoorte, Meningie and Bordertown.
Wind gusts of up to 100 kilometres per hour are predicted, along with thunderstorms and showers, as a front moves across the state throughout the day.
A new program of voluntary COVID-19 testing for asymptomatic staff and students uncovered 19 additional cases at Toronto’s Thorncliffe Park Public School.
The elementary school was the first in the Toronto District School Board to take part in the provincial program, announced last Thursday by Education Minister Stephen Lecce.
An email sent Sunday to Thorncliffe parents said 19 positive cases of COVID-19 were reported — 18 of them children, one staff member — out of a total of 433 tests conducted Thursday and Friday.
That brings the total number of cases at the East York school to 21.
As of Sunday, 14 classes had been asked to self-isolate, and testing is expected to continue Monday.
Toronto Public Health told the board it does not believe the school needs to be shut down, given there is a higher percentage of cases in the surrounding community.
“I know news of these additional cases will, understandably, be worrisome for families,” Principal Jeff Crane said in the email to families.
“Classes associated with these cases have been asked to self-isolate. Since COVID-19 continues to spread in the community, finding additional cases in schools from broad testing is not unexpected at this time,” he wrote.
“It’s also important to keep in mind, that the positivity rate within the school is approximately 4 per cent, which is significantly less than the 16 per cent positivity rate within the Thorncliffe Park community. This means that there is currently a higher percentage of people who test positive for COVID-19 in the community compared to in this school setting.”
He said the school “will be conducting a deep cleaning of the building prior to school starting (Monday) morning. As always, our health and safety procedure remain in place — complete the daily screening, staff and students are required to wear masks while at school and to practice physical distancing, as well as proper hand hygiene—hand washing, sanitizer etc.”
School boards in Toronto, Peel, York and Ottawa are participating in the targetted testing, which is expected to involve approximately 34,000 students and staff in selected schools in the four provincial hotspots.
Four schools across the Toronto public board have so far been chosen for the COVID-19 testing — Thorncliffe Park and nearby Marc Garneau Collegiate Institute and Valley Park Middle School, as well as Lester B. Pearson Collegiate Institute in Scarborough.
The program began last Thursday at Thorncliffe Park with about 300 of 750 students being tested that day.
“The purpose of the testing is to learn more about the spread of the virus,” said an email to parents from Toronto public board Trustee Shelley Laskin, who represents Eglinton-Lawrence/Toronto-St. Paul’s.
“The results will inform the province’s pandemic strategy and could result in more testing for schools in 2021.”
The board said extra cleaning of tables and chairs that are used in the testing and medical waste will be handled by public health.
“The risk within our schools reflects the risk within our communities,” Lecce said at a press conference last week. “We believe as we see the risk rising in our community, we cannot hope for the best. We’ve got to continuously act.”
If you hate peak hour — spare a thought for the residents of Marsden Park in north-west Sydney.
Residents say it can take 30 minutes to reach the traffic lights
Another 40,000 residents are set to move in over the next 15 years
A second road is expected to be opened early next year
Not long ago, the suburb was rolling green fields, but now rows and rows of houses are quickly being built.
The local Blacktown City Council expects another 40,000 residents to move in over the next 15 years.
Affordable blocks of land, and houses, makes it an ideal place to buy — but the biggest problem with Marsden Park is getting out.
The rapidly expanding suburb currently only has one entry and exit, via a single set of traffic lights at Richmond Road.
“The government have released land, and they have been very slow at best to build the necessary infrastructure,” said Prue Car, the local Labor MP.
During peak hour, the choke point is leading to huge queues traffic trying to move only a few hundred metres.
Some residents have told the ABC about waiting for 30 minutes to reach the lights, and then having to go on the rest of their journey.
“It can take half-an-hour to get out of this road to the main road,” one resident told the ABC, while sitting in traffic.
“Awh mate it’s ridiculous this road, it’s unbelievable,” said a truck driver, also waiting and late for a delivery.
Adjacent streets also become congested as people try to get around Elara Boulevard, the main thoroughfare.
Christine and Macgyver Fuertes see and hear the traffic every day, and worry it will soon get worse when a local shopping centre is built across the road from their house.
“The traffic here is just ridiculous, the traffic lights at Richmond Road are so quick,” Ms Fuertes said.
“Very loud as well with all the trucks honking, and blowing their horns and stuff, so it can be quite busy.”
During the 2019/2020 bushfire season, father-of-two Matt Biermann discussed with his wife how they would escape in an emergency.
“If the entire estate needed to leave in a short period of time whether it was for a bushfire or a potential flood, it would be extremely difficult and time-consuming for every resident here to leave by one road, at the one time,” he said.
Some relief is on the horizon, with another road and set of lights expected to be opened early next year.
But some fear it won’t solve all the traffic problems, especially as more people move in.
“I think it is delaying the inevitable problem that with all these people,” Mr Biermann said.
“But we need the required roads and transport to meet those people,” he said.
“What the community fears is that we’ll be sitting longer and longer in our cars, clogging up roads that desperately need upgrades, but we’re not where to be seen when it comes to the budget,” Ms Car said.
In a statement, Transport for NSW said it ran a consultation with residents last year to better understand the community’s needs.
It said measures to ease congestion along the Richmond Road corridor are also being investigated and prioritised.
It said it could not confirm exactly when the new set of lights to get in and out of Marsden Park would be operating.
news, local-news, Goulburn, Bungonia National Park, woman rescued, heat exhaustion
Police effected a tricky rescue at Bungonia National Park on Saturday after a woman fell and became stuck in rocks. About 1.20pm on Saturday, emergency services were called to Bungonia National Park, Bungonia – about 37km east of Goulburn – after reports of an injured bushwalker. Police were told the 32-year-old Manly woman fell while walking a trail and became stuck between two boulders, suffering possible spinal injuries. ALSO READ: Reignited pile burn on Currawang Road under control She was treated at the scene by a doctor who was also bush walking in the area, before Police Rescue arrived. Due to high winds, the woman was carried from the location by the two Senior Constables, before she was able to be airlifted to Canberra Base Hospital in a stable condition. It has prompted police to remind bushwalkers to be prepared in hot conditions. ALSO READ: The Crescent School receive help for their secure sensory walkways project While returning to the entrance to the park, two female bush walkers were located suffering heat exhaustion. They were treated before being guided out of the park. The Senior Constables also began suffering heat exhaustion and were taken to Goulburn Base Hospital for treatment for dehydration. Goulburn reached 34.4 degrees on Saturday with wind gusting around 56km/h at 1.30pm. In light of this incident, and current weather warnings, police urge members of the public planning to bush walk to be well prepared for the conditions they will encounter. Remember: We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.
Power outages this morning across Tallong and Greenwich Park impacted nearly 500 residents. 472 locals lost power at 10.40am this morning in the region surrounding Tallong after a tree was blown over by strong winds and brought down powerlines on Highland Way. An Essential Energy spokesperson said crews were dispatched immediately, and power was returned to the region at 4.27pm. The Tallong Rural Fire Brigade posted to Facebook at 3pm saying that Highland way between Bumballa Road to Wingello was closed with no available estimate on when it will reopen. Meanwhile, a further 19 residents lost power in Greenwich Park, north of Towrang, at 11:10am due to a fallen powerline. There is currently no estimate for the return of power to the area. The spokesperson asked that customers remain at least eight metres away from fallen powerlines and report any power outages to Essential Energy on 13 20 80 as soon as possible. The Bureau of Meteorology measured the top wind speed in Goulburn at 91kph, with a statewide maximum of 109kph in Nerriga. The State Emergency Service advises that people should: Did you know the Goulburn Post is now offering breaking news alerts and a weekly email newsletter? Keep up-to-date with all the local news: sign up here.
Longueuil Mayor Sylvie Parent has put an end to the controversial operation to capture and kill 15 deer at Michel-Chartrand park.
The operation was underway Monday afternoon, with traps placed across the park and police officers patrolling the area.
In a Facebook post published late on Monday, Parent said she was forced to change her decision, in spite of the measure being approved by Quebec’s ministry of Forests, Wildlife and Parks and having “consensus among the scientific community”.
Lawyer and animal rights activist calls for meeting with Longueuil mayor over planned deer cull
“The threat posed today by some people to harm, thwart the operation to control the deer population in the Michel-Chartrand park forced us to consider another choice,” Parent said in her post in French.
Story continues below advertisement
Parent did not specify what threat, Longueuil police would only confirm that there was a protest at the park.
City council approves Longueuil deer cull
City council approves Longueuil deer cull
The mayor says she has asked the city’s general manager to get approval from the ministry to move the 15 deer it planned to kill to another authorized location instead.
A 2020 space oddity? Mysterious metal object found in Utah desert
Michigan Republicans say election laws will be followed after extraordinary Trump meeting
“I’m certainly relieved,” said Eric Dussault, general manager of Sauvetage Animal Rescue. “I’m also happy that reason prevailed over politics.”
READ MORE: Arrest made in threats to Longueuil mayor over plan to cull deer
Just hours before the mayor back tracked, Dussault had presented a plan to the city to capture, sedate and move the deer to an animal sanctuary, at no cost to the city.
Story continues below advertisement
The plan was backed by renowned lawyer and animal activist Anne-France Goldwater, who asked the city to desist and come to another solution — or meet her in court.
“The injunction was ready and on the verge of being sent to the city,” Dussault told Global News. “Did that play into it? Did the press conference scare the city’s officials? We will never know the motivation behind it.”
READ MORE: Longueuil deer cull triggers protest
The decision to cull the white-tailed deer sparked outrage and protests among the population.
It even lead to the arrest and release of a man over alleged threats to Parent’s life over the plan.
Parent said the operation should be carried in the next few weeks.
A 16-year-old boy accused of murdering another teenager during a brawl at a skate park in Canberra’s south has today been granted bail in the ACT Children’s Court.
The 16-year-old boy has entered a plea of not guilty, but police allege they found the victim’s blood on his clothes
Several witnesses also allege the boy confessed the murder to them
His defence lawyer says the lack of a murder weapon being found is a hit to the prosecution’s case
The teenager has pleaded not guilty to charges of murder and affray over the fatal fight in September.
An 18-year-old man was stabbed to death and his 16-year-old cousin was left with facial injuries and stab wounds to his back and buttocks during the fight, in which a machete, rake, shovel and pickaxe were allegedly used as weapons.
Argument over Snapchat leads to death
A statement of facts tendered to the court today alleged the argument between two groups started via social media platform Snapchat, and quickly escalated to an agreement to meet and fight at the Weston Skate Park later that same night.
The court heard one group then called three other boys to request “backup”.
It is alleged that upon parking at the skate park, the groups started to fight and the man who was killed was pulled from his car.
Seeing this, a boy in the backseat of the same car allegedly armed himself with a machete and brandished it at the attackers.
Police allege that upon seeing the machete, the other group then returned to their car to arm themselves with a rake, shovel and pickaxe, before returning to damage the deceased man’s car.
The three teens who had been in the car with the man who later died then fled on foot, while the other group left in two cars.
The trio returned to find the 18-year-old man unresponsive on the ground.
Bloodied clothes link teen to attack
The 16-year-old boy, who faced the Children’s Court via video link today and cannot be named because he is a child, was arrested last month and charged with murder and affray.
This came after forensic testing revealed the clothes he was wearing on the night of the brawl were stained with the victim’s blood.
During police interviews following the brawl, officers were also allegedly told by three other people involved in the incident that they witnessed the accused showing the handle of a knife tucked into his pants and saying “I just stabbed someone”, and “I shanked him”.
A second teenager was charged with affray over the fatal fight just hours after the 16-year-old was arrested last month.
In the Children’s Court today, defence counsel Ken Archer argued for the boy, who has been in custody since his arrest, to be released on bail because of his young age and the “poverty of evidence” in relation to the murder charge.
Mr Archer highlighted the fact that the murder weapon hadn’t been seized, which he argued was a significant matter “in terms of the strength of the prosecution’s case”.
Magistrate Louise Taylor agreed to grant the boy bail but suppressed the conditions of his release from custody.
Steven Bradbury only needed three rivals to wipe out to famously win gold at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.
A horse in the UK has just pulled off an even bigger miracle, after being awarded the win when the first six runners in a race at Fontwell Park all fell over.
A staggering eight horses were disqualified in one race at Fontwell over the weekend, leaving Dharma Rain as the winner as the only horse deemed to have finished. She passed the post in seventh.
Jack Tudor on the winner was the only jockey to jump the hurdle under scrutiny in the From The Horse’s Mouth Podcast Mares’ Handicap Hurdle.
The other riders all swerved the hurdle at the last minute after a number of workers wandered on the track in the middle of the 3867m race, The Sun reports.
Finishes 7th… Still wins!
The jockeys expected the hurdle to be ‘dolled-off’ — signs put in place to miss the hurdle — after it was damaged on the first circuit.
But it was too late for the signs and flags to be put concretely in place and in theory the hurdle should have been jumped.
But the jockeys were left in an impossible situation and continued to ride the rest of the race.
After a lengthy Stewards Inquiry all eight horses that skipped the hurdle were disqualified and Dharma Rain was named the winner.
It was the latest farcical scene in the racing world just a day after an embarrassing photo finish at Cheltenham where it was ‘too dark’ to judge the photo.
Last Thursday there was more drama when young jockey Alexander Thorne was disqualified after not weighing out after winning a race live on ITV4.
Punters were quick to voice their concern at yet another racing disaster.
One said: “I’m taking a long long break from the sport now.
“After getting the double up, called a dead heat when I got the winner and then disqualified after getting the winner at Fontwell. The sport has much to do.”
Another added: “Absolute disgrace of a decision yesterday at Cheltenham and today at Fontwell, it’s the punters that make racing but in the end we punters are paying the price for someonelse mistakes. SHAMBLES”
Several bookmakers again had to pay the price as they paid out on the first three horses past the post before they were later disqualified.
A spokesman for bookmaker Paddy Power said: “Dharma Rain is the only finisher by the rules, but in these unfortunate circumstances we felt it was only right to pay out on both ‘winners’ and the first three as they crossed the line”.