Victorian Government rejects player complaints about quarantine


Email

Posted

January 18, 2021 19:46:25

Dozens of players are in hard quarantine, after a confirmed covid-19 case on a charter flight, ahead of the Australian Open. Tom Maddocks reports


Source: ABC News
|
Duration: 2min

Topics:

australian-open,

sport,

epidemics-and-pandemics,

health-policy,

melbourne-3000,

adelaide-5000

Thank you for dropping in and checking this news release involving the latest SA news items named “Victorian Government rejects player complaints about quarantine”. This news release was shared by MyLocalPages as part of our Australian news services.

#Victorian #Government #rejects #player #complaints #quarantine



Source link

GWS Giants AFLW player Brid Stack released from hospital after neck injury in trial game



Greater Western Sydney’s Irish import Brid Stack has been released from hospital after suffering a fractured vertebra in an AFLW practice match in Adelaide.

Play was stopped in the fourth quarter of the game at Norwood Oval on Sunday after a collision.

They were fears Stack may have severely injured her spine after she was stretchered off the field.

The 34-year-old player was taken to hospital by paramedics after spinal protocols were enacted.

But in a statement released on Monday, the Giants said scans revealed Stack had a stable fracture of the C7 vertebra and no injury to surrounding nerves.

She will be required to wear a neck brace but will not be required to undergo surgery.

Stack was released from hospital late on Sunday night and will re-join the Giants squad in Adelaide for her rehabilitation.

“Bríd and her family have made incredible sacrifices to come to Australia to play in the AFL Women’s competition and we will be supporting them all the way through her recovery.”

Stack is entering her first AFLW season after a successful career in Gaelic football.

The 11-time All-Ireland winner for Cork joined the Giants last year and has been living in Australia with her husband and one-year-old son.

She spent Christmas in hotel quarantine in Perth with her family before joining her new teammates in Sydney.

ABC/AAP

Thank you for stopping by and checking this article regarding current national news named “GWS Giants AFLW player Brid Stack released from hospital after neck injury in trial game”. This news update was shared by MyLocalPages as part of our Australian news services.

#GWS #Giants #AFLW #player #Brid #Stack #released #hospital #neck #injury #trial #game



Source link

Practice match called off after injury to GWS Giants player Brid Stack


In Sunday’s other scratch match, Collingwood defeated North Melbourne by 12 points at Ikon Park.

Meanwhile, St Kilda have been dealt a blow with tall Bianca Jakobsson needing surgery to repair a broken collarbone suffered in Saturday’s practice game against Carlton.

“It’s obviously really disappointing for Bianca,” Saints head of women’s football Jamie Cox told the club’s website.

“She’s had a really great pre-season, so for this to happen on the eve of season proper is tough. That being said, Bianca has a great attitude and will no doubt attack rehab with everything she’s got.”

Thank you for stopping by and checking out this story involving Australian Rules Football called “Practice match called off after injury to GWS Giants player Brid Stack”. This story was presented by My Local Pages as part of our news aggregator services.

#Practice #match #called #injury #GWS #Giants #player #Brid #Stack



Source link

Vic won’t budge on Open player lockdown | Cowra Guardian


A fourth Australian Open arrival has tested positive for coronavirus, as Victoria’s quarantine boss refuses to “water down” hard lockdown directions for players deemed close contacts.

COVID-19 Quarantine Victoria commissioner Emma Cassar on Sunday confirmed a broadcast team member on a flight that landed from Los Angeles on Friday has returned a positive test.

It means four people from the 1200-strong international tennis contingent have tested positive, with the Victorian government continuing to defend its decision to push ahead with the grand slam tournament.

The positive tests have forced 125 close contacts aboard the planes from Los Angeles and Abu Dhabi into hard lockdown for the next two weeks, including 47 players.

They were originally given an exemption to leave their quarantine hotel to train for up to five hours a day if they returned a negative test.

But the positive tests mean they are considered close contacts and confined to their rooms unable to practice.

“It’s far from ideal, but COVID is far from ideal,” Environment Minister Lily D’Ambrosio told reporters on Sunday.

“It’s about being COVID-safe and it’s about taking these steps … so that we can actually see the Australian Open happen.”

Romania’s Sorana Cirstea and France’s Alize Cornet have both suggested they were previously told only those within the same section of the positive case would go into lockdown, not the entire flight.

Ms Cassar said Victorian authorities had not been liaising directly with players, but made the rules clear to Tennis Australia.

“Those rules haven’t changed,” she said.

Despite some of the affected players complaining of unequal practice time, Ms Cassar insists the decision won’t be reversed.

“The program is set up to keep people safe,” she said.

“We will not be modifying the program or watering it down under any circumstances.”

Open players, staff and officials were sternly warned they could be moved to a more secure hotel as two guests were scolded for breaches.

A player opened his door to try to have a conversation with a training partner down the hallway, while a non-player shouted Uber Eats to others on the floor and opened the door to “praise his great efforts”.

Ms Cassar said the pair had been formally warned and she is considering transferring persistent breachers to a medi-hotel where they’ll have a police officer stationed outside their room.

“It is really low-level, but really dangerous acts which we can’t tolerate,” she said.

The Australian Open broadcast team member’s case was among seven new overseas acquired infections reported in Victoria on Sunday.

All test results from the international tennis cohort were expected to be returned by 3.30pm and will feature in Monday’s figures.

From just over 11,000 tests results received in the 24 hours to Sunday, Victoria recorded its 11th consecutive day without a locally acquired case.

It comes as Greater Brisbane’s travel risk rating was downgraded from “red” to “orange” on Saturday evening, allowing stranded Victorians to cross the border with a permit.

There were 20,435 permits issued in the 24 hours to 8am on Sunday as part of the state’s “traffic light” system, with the health department reporting an immediate spike in applications after the downgrade.

Those stuck in Sydney have been given hope they will soon be able to return home as well, with Premier Daniel Andrews flagging on Saturday that he was preparing to dramatically reduce the red zone in NSW.

But no announcement was forthcoming on Sunday, as NSW reported six new locally acquired cases.

It comes as private workplaces prepare to return to 50 per cent capacity from Monday, while public service offices are able to ramp up to 25 per cent.

Mask rules will also ease to pre-Christmas levels, making them only mandatory in some settings.

Australian Associated Press



Thank you for stopping by to visit My Local Pages and reading this post involving VIC news titled “Vic won’t budge on Open player lockdown | Cowra Guardian”. This news update was brought to you by MyLocalPages as part of our Australian news services.

#Vic #wont #budge #Open #player #lockdown #Cowra #Guardian



Source link

GWS Giants AFLW player Brid Stack taken to hospital following injury in preseason match against Adelaide



Greater Western Sydney player Brid Stack has been rushed to hospital amid fears over a possible spine injury after a collision in an AFLW practice match against Adelaide.

Stack was hurt during the fourth quarter of the match at Adelaide’s Norwood Oval on Sunday.

The 34-year-old Irish import was placed on a stretcher and taken from the field in an ambulance, while the match was called off with just a few minutes remaining.

“Unfortunately, Irish recruit Brid Stack has been taken to hospital following spinal precaution protocols after a collision in a tackle late in the fourth quarter,” the Giants said in a statement.

“She’s in the best possible care and we will provide a full update when we have further information.”

Stack is entering her first AFLW season after a successful career in Gaelic football.

She spent Christmas in hotel quarantine in Perth with her partner and child before joining her new teammates in Sydney.

GWS has twice moved to temporary bases this month — in Albury and Adelaide — because of Sydney’s coronavirus outbreak.

It will allow the players to enter Western Australia for the round-one fixture against Fremantle on January 31.

Loading

Before the opening bounce in their practice match, Giants and Crows players observed a minute’s silence in honour of former GWS player Jacinda Barclay, who died in October.

Despite their inaccuracy in front of goal, Adelaide led by 20 points when the match was called off, kicking 2.21 (33) to 2.1 (13).

In Sunday’s other AFLW practice match, Collingwood beat North Melbourne 7.5 (47) to 5.5 (35) at Princes Park.

AAP

Thank you for visiting My Local Pages and checking this news article regarding the latest National News items named “GWS Giants AFLW player Brid Stack taken to hospital following injury in preseason match against Adelaide”. This story was shared by My Local Pages Australia as part of our Australian news services.

#GWS #Giants #AFLW #player #Brid #Stack #hospital #injury #preseason #match #Adelaide



Source link

Player Returning Positive Test Allowed To Board On Flight To Melbourne

positive test

Australian Open Updates And More

Despite having recently returning a positive test for COVID-19, American tennis player Tennys Sandgren revealed that he was allowed to board a chartered flight to Melbourne for the Australian Open.

Last Monday, Sandgren took to Twitter that he was “COVID positive” after originally testing positive late November. He was initially barred from the flight containing international players out of Los Angeles.

However, the world’s number 50 cited he was then allowed to join the delayed flight and called director Craig Tiley of the Australian open a “wizard”. He then tweeted he was not contagious and had “totally recovered”.

It reads, “My two tests were less than eight weeks apart. I was sick in November, totally healthy now.”

When asked for comments, Tennis Australia did not put input specifically on Sandgren’s situation but pointed out that they are following Victorian Government guidelines on players being allowed to fly to Melbourne.

In a statement, Tennis Australia rejoined, “Some people who have recovered from COVID-19 and who are non-infectious can continue to shed the virus for several months. Victorian Government public health experts assess each case based on additional detailed medical records to ensure they are not infectious before checking in to the charter flights. “

The statement further explained, “Players and their teams are tested every day from their arrival in Australia, a much stricter process than for anyone else in hotel quarantine.”

As planned, the Australian Open will commence at Melbourne Park on February 8 and run until February 21. The first players contesting the Australian Open are scheduled to arrive in Melbourne.

Following the preparations, three hotels were added to Victoria’s hotel quarantine program to accommodate the arrivals earlier this week. These are namely, Grand Hyatt in Melbourne, the View on St Kilda Road, and the Pullman Hotel in Albert Park.

Players and their supporters will be permitted to leave their hotel rooms for up to five hours per day to complete training, and each hotel will have its own dedicated training facility.

Player taunts demean Australian cricket crowds


In India’s long-distance view, there are two or three Australias. There’s MasterChef Australia seen more regularly these days on Indian TV screens than cricket. Diverse participants, warm judges, mouth-watering feasts. Then up pops live cricket, MasterChef Australia’s alter-ego: eye-grabbing, throat-constricting, high skill action, trite mouthing off between players and, in unsavoury leftovers from SCG 2021, half a dozen yahoos ejected for racist abuse.

A third confusing track runs alongside this: of Australian and English captains deciding not to take a knee last September followed by Cricket Australia introducing the Barefoot Circle and instituting the Mullagh Medal, in honour of Indigenous Australian cricketer Johnny Mullagh. Many times for Indians, Australia doesn’t add up.

Hostile reputation: In 2000, members of the SCG crowd in blackface and turbans during the third Test between Australia and India. Credit:Andrew Meares

For decades, Australia was viewed from afar as the “tough guy” of the cricket tour. Hyper-masculine. Spectators with beer cans, banners and flags. What did players experience around Australian crowds? Cricketers say they get abused all over the world but Australia is ground zero, its crowds around the boundary the most hostile and abusive. Not perpetually racist but constantly hostile. Like nowhere else. From among many accounts from the SCG this week came a somewhat bizarre story of kids aged about 10, shouting at the touring cricketers as they walked through the crowds to the middle, giving childish imitations of adult sledges. (That story chilled the bone because it reminded me of the Adam Goodes incident, the horrific culmination of adult thought expressed through a young voice.)

At Australian grounds, the touring team’s boundary riders are usually targetted by a small, vociferous group egged on by the supportive laughter of others around them. Unsurprisingly, post-lunch beers play a key role. Visitors ignore the hecklers as best they can.

Thanks for stopping by and reading this article involving current World sports and related news published as “Player taunts demean Australian cricket crowds”. This news update is shared by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our World sports news services.

#Player #taunts #demean #Australian #cricket #crowds



Source link

Dal Santo names the player who is “so important” to North Melbourne’s future


Nick Dal Santo has singled out young gun Jy Simpkin as someone who has “so much upside” at Arden Street in 2021.

Simpkin, who played every game for North Melbourne in 2020, impressed as he averaged 20 touches and nearly four tackles.

The 22-year-old has noticeably bulked up during the off-season and impressed onlookers at training since returning from the festive season break.

Dal Santo said he was excited to see how the talented youngster progresses in 2021, saying Simpkin brings something different to the North Melbourne midfield.

“He is so important to their midfield,” he said on SEN Summer Breakfast.

“The young man who’s coming through with a handful of others, he does a few things on the football field that not many at North Melbourne can do.

“He is so important for their future, he’s a great player and has so much upside to come.”

North Melbourne will play their first pre-season game next month, when they travel to Hobart for their clash against Adelaide on February 28.





Thanks for reading this news article about the latest Australian Sports news items titled “Dal Santo names the player who is “so important” to North Melbourne’s future”. This article is brought to you by MyLocalPages as part of our news aggregator services.

#Dal #Santo #names #player #important #North #Melbournes #future



Source link

Hawthorn Player Allegedly Sending Lewd Messages To Women Now Under Extensive Investigation

Player Jonathon Patton was stood down by the Hawthorn AFL football club amid the allegations of the said player’s inappropriate behaviour on social media. This includes sending sexual images to women.

Following these accusations, several women have come forward to accuse him of sending unsolicited lewd messages.

In a statement released by the club last night, it reads “Hawthorn Football Club has stood down Jonathon Patton from all club commitments until the completion of its investigation into allegations of Patton’s inappropriate behaviour on social media. The club’s Integrity Committee met this afternoon and will continue to ascertain all relevant information.”

It concluded that the club will be providing further updates at the completion of the investigation and also asked for the privacy of all parties involved to be respected at this point.

It was noted that Patton did not attend training with the club last Monday.

Meanwhile, last Saturday, Hawthorn released a statement saying the alleged behaviour “does not reflect the values and standards of Hawthorn Football Club”.

According to the statement “As soon as the club became aware of the allegations it addressed the matter with Patton directly and clearly communicated that any behaviour of this nature would not be tolerated.”

To date, the media has attempted to contact Patton for comment regarding the allegations and what might he be facing.

Hawthorn AFL player Jonathon Patton stood down over allegations of inappropriate behaviour


The Hawthorn AFL football club has stood down player Jonathon Patton after allegations of inappropriate behaviour on social media, including sending sexual images to woman.

Several women have come forward to accuse him of sending unsolicited lewd messages.

“Hawthorn Football Club has stood down Jonathon Patton from all club commitments until the completion of its investigation into allegations of Patton’s inappropriate behaviour on social media,” the club said in a statement last night.

“The club’s Integrity Committee met this afternoon and will continue to ascertain all relevant information.

“The club will provide a further update at the completion of the investigation and asks that the privacy of all parties involved be respected at this time.”

Patton did not attend training with the club on Monday.

Hawthorn released a statement on Saturday saying the alleged behaviour “does not reflect the values and standards of Hawthorn Football Club”.

“As soon as the club became aware of the allegations it addressed the matter with Patton directly and clearly communicated that any behaviour of this nature would not be tolerated,” the statement said.

The ABC has attempted to contact Patton for comment.

Thank you for dropping in to My Local Pages and checking out this news article regarding Australian Sports news and updates published as “Hawthorn AFL player Jonathon Patton stood down over allegations of inappropriate behaviour”. This news article is shared by My Local Pages Australia as part of our news aggregator services.

#Hawthorn #AFL #player #Jonathon #Patton #stood #allegations #inappropriate #behaviour



Source link