Top End firefighter pleads guilty to beating up wife, two other women



THE former officer in charge of the Jabiru fire station who beat up his wife and two other women in a drunken stupor has pleaded guilty to aggravated assault.

Thank you for spending your time with us on My Local Pages. We hope you enjoyed reading this news update on current national news published as “Top End firefighter pleads guilty to beating up wife, two other women”. This news article was brought to you by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our news aggregator services.

#Top #firefighter #pleads #guilty #beating #wife #women



Source link

Melbourne mother pleads guilty to murdering her aunt, greyhound trainer Karen Leek



A Melbourne mother has pleaded guilty to killing her aunt, prominent greyhound trainer Karen Leek, just days before she was due to give birth.

Jessie Moore appeared in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court today, pleading guilty to one count of murder.

Moore was heavily pregnant when she was charged with the murder of her 69-year-old aunt at a Devon Meadows home on May 25 last year.

The court previously heard Moore may have an intellectual disability.
The
Friend and chair of Greyhound Racing Victoria, Peita Duncan, previously described Ms Leek as a “fantastic person” loved by the whole racing community.
“She was an amazing person, it’s such a massive loss for us,” she said.
“She has taught many, many people in this industry over her whole career.
“It’s devastating for our industry and it’s rocked us to our core.”

Thank you for stopping by to visit My Local Pages and checking out this story regarding “News in the City of Melbourne titled “Melbourne mother pleads guilty to murdering her aunt, greyhound trainer Karen Leek”. This post was presented by My Local Pages Australia as part of our local events, news and stories aggregator services.

#Melbourne #mother #pleads #guilty #murdering #aunt #greyhound #trainer #Karen #Leek



Source link

Child protection police officer pleads not guilty to grooming charges of 15yo girl


On the first day of his District Court trial in Brisbane, 33-year-old Matthew Paul Hockley pleaded not guilty to two counts of child grooming and one count of using the internet to procure a child under 16.

During opening submissions, the prosecution told the court Mr Hockley was a serving senior constable at the Inala child protection and investigation unit in Brisbane’s south-west in 2019, when he interviewed the teenager in relation to an incident involving the sharing of explicit images of her and her ex-boyfriend.

Crown prosecutor Judy Geary said shortly after the interview, Mr Hockley had added the teenager on the social media application Snapchat, telling her who he was and adding that he wanted to “make sure she was being safe online” before sending her a photograph of himself.

The court heard the teenager had told her mother about the communication, who told her that it was “good” he had added her, and who later thanked the officer for “looking out” for her daughter.

Ms Geary said the prosecution would allege that over the course of several weeks, Mr Hockley sent a series of messages to the teenager that escalated from innocuous to a mostly sexual and inappropriate nature, and that the 15-year-old became “increasingly uncomfortable” with their communication.

On one occasion, Ms Geary told the court Mr Hockley, who would refer to the teenager as “cute” and “beautiful”, had sent her messages about “young girls” being sexually involved with “older men”.

Thank you for visiting My Local Pages. We hope you enjoyed checking this news update about “What’s On in the City of Brisbane” titled “Child protection police officer pleads not guilty to grooming charges of 15yo girl”. This article was posted by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our local and national events & news stories services.

#Child #protection #police #officer #pleads #guilty #grooming #charges #15yo #girl



Source link

Man pleads guilty to shooting murder of daughter, son-in-law


Loading

At the end of January, his lawyers told the court they had instructions that Shaptafaj would change his plea to guilty.

However, just hours before a hearing on February 9, the court heard Shaptafaj had changed his lawyers and the case was adjourned while new representation was arranged.

On Wednesday, Shaptafaj’s new lawyer, Sandra Gaunt, told the court she had received instructions from her client and he would plead guilty.

“I can confirm the matter can proceed as was intended in that he will enter pleas of guilty to the charges,” she said.

The charges against Shaptafaj were read out to the court and he was asked how he would plead.

“I plead guilty,” he responded.

A half-day plea hearing will take place on May 7.

Lindita and Veton Musai (left) with parents Zirka and Alil Musai and brothers Lindor and Drilon Musai.

Mr and Ms Musai met in their late teens and were together for about five years before they married. They were planning on having children and were two weeks away from moving into their own home when they were murdered.

They were shot from behind at the front door of the Musai family’s Yarraville home on Salisbury Street, where the couple had been living.

The pair had just returned on New Year’s Eve from a short trip away celebrating their first wedding anniversary.

Veton and Lindita several years ago. The pair had been together for five years when they were killed.

Veton and Lindita several years ago. The pair had been together for five years when they were killed. Credit:Facebook/Veton Musai

After the incident, Shaptafaj, Ms Musai’s estranged father, was rushed to hospital with gunshot wounds where he remained for some time under police guard.

He had not had contact with his daughter for many years.

The family of Mr and Mrs Musai described them as a “fairytale couple”.

“To say they were happy together is an understatement,” Mr Musai’s elder brother Drilon told The Age the week after the tragedy.

“You hear people talk about other couples and how much love they have for one another but this was truly something else.”

Start your day informed

Our Morning Edition newsletter is a curated guide to the most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.

Most Viewed in National

Loading

Thank you for visiting My Local Pages. We hope you enjoyed checking out this news release about local news called “Man pleads guilty to shooting murder of daughter, son-in-law”. This news release was presented by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our local news services.

#Man #pleads #guilty #shooting #murder #daughter #soninlaw

Source link

I’m a Celebrity Australia’s Ash Williams pleads not guilty to phone sex allegations


I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here! contestant and comedian Ash Williams was a no-show in court the morning after the show’s grand finale.

Comedian Ash Williams has pleaded not guilty to recording an intimate image of a woman without her consent.

The I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here! star, who made it to the top seven and appeared on Network 10’s grand finale on Sunday night, was charged by police in Sydney last month.

It is understood police will allege the images at the centre of the allegations are screenshots of a woman, allegedly taken during FaceTime phone sex.

“In November 2020, officers from Inner West Police Area Command received a report of an offence allegedly committed by a 38-year-old man,” NSW Police said in a statement.

“Following further investigations, the man was charged with intentionally record intimate image without consent on Friday, 18 December 2020.”

Williams did not appear when his case was mentioned before Magistrate Glenn Bartley in Newtown Local Court on Monday.

However, lawyer Lauren MacDougall – appearing on behalf of Williams’ solicitor Charles Abbott – said she was “instructed to enter a plea of not guilty to the criminal matter”.

“He’s defending the charge,” Mr Abbott told NCA NewsWire outside court last month.

“I think he’s a bit shocked.”

Williams told The Sunday Telegraph he was “really upset” by the allegation.

“I’m distressed about the impact it’s had on members of my family, particularly my mum,” he said.

The magistrate on Monday asked the parties to provide a reasonable time estimate for the hearing, noting if it requires more than one day it will be moved to Downing Centre Local Court in the CBD.

“Certainly with categories of cases (such as this), it could well hit the five-hour mark,” Mr Bartley said.

Ms MacDougall asked for Williams to be excused from appearing if legally represented when the case returns to court on March 23.

Police have also made an apprehended violence order application on behalf of the alleged victim.

If proven, the recording charge carries a maximum penalty of three years imprisonment, an $11,000 fine or both.

Williams was charged after arriving home from filming in the so-called jungle near Murwillumbah in northeastern New South Wales.

He shocked I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here! viewers when he revealed a number of his past side gigs, including selling photos of his feet online and working as a go-go dancer in a gay bar in Los Angeles, where he was paid to suck a guy’s nipple.

Thank you for stopping to visit My Local Pages. We Hope you enjoyed checking this article regarding local and Australian news named “I’m a Celebrity Australia’s Ash Williams pleads not guilty to phone sex allegations”. This article was presented by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our local news services.

#Celebrity #Australias #Ash #Williams #pleads #guilty #phone #sex #allegations



Source link

Albury woman pleads guilty to intimidation, other charges | The Border Mail


news, court-and-crime,

A young Albury mother-of-two reached over and wrenched the steering wheel as her mother tried to drive home, Albury Local Court has heard. The mother had arranged on December 19 to collect her car for repairs. Hours later, on the way to Thurgoona Plaza, the victim told Hayley Fitchett – who had a history of addiction – that she wasn’t to “lend it to any of your junkie mates”. IN OTHER NEWS: Police said the mother pulled over and demanded that Fitchett buy food or otherwise her grandchildren, aged 2 and 4 and in the back seat, “would go hungry”. “The defendant began to punch the roof of the vehicle and her behaviour caused the children to cry.” After they headed off, Fitchett grabbed the steering wheel to make her take her to her own home instead. She pleaded guilty to intimidation, drive a conveyance taken without consent and passenger interfere with driver’s control of vehicle. Fitchett was put on a nine-month community corrections order.

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/zTpV5j6X6iLmSh5SbcmSaP/ac52cf56-db97-4253-b8c7-a6b0bdea47b0.jpg/r205_163_958_588_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg



Thank you for stopping by to visit My Local Pages and checking out this article involving National and VIC news and updates published as “Albury woman pleads guilty to intimidation, other charges | The Border Mail”. This story was brought to you by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our local news services.

#Albury #woman #pleads #guilty #intimidation #charges #Border #Mail



Source link

Rosebery man Cecil Mabb pleads guilty to child abduction, assault charges



A 41-year-old man from Tasmania’s west coast has pleaded guilty to assaulting and abducting a primary-school-aged child in the state’s north west at the weekend.

The girl was left injured after the incident at the Montagu Campground, near Smithton on Sunday night.

An an air and ground search began on Monday for Rosebery man Cecil Maurice Mabb in relation to the incident.

Drones and the rescue helicopter spent hours looking for Mabb and his white Mazda ute.

He was eventually found late in the afternoon in bushland near Marrawah and has been since remanded in police custody.

Appearing in the Burnie Magistrates Court via video link on Friday, Mabb pleaded guilty to one charge of abducting a young person and one charge of assault.

He will be sentenced in the Burnie Supreme Court on March 9.

Thanks for dropping by and reading this story involving TAS and Australian news named “Rosebery man Cecil Mabb pleads guilty to child abduction, assault charges”. This article was posted by My Local Pages as part of our local news services.

#Rosebery #man #Cecil #Mabb #pleads #guilty #child #abduction #assault #charges



Source link

Charnwood stabbing accused Jayscen Anthony Newby pleads guilty to murder



A Canberra man has pleaded guilty to murder after stabbing another man to death in the city’s north last year.

Jayscen Anthony Newby, 27, handed himself in to police hours after the murder of 27-year-old Frankie Victor Prineas on January 11, 2020, in Charnwood.

After initially pleading not guilty to murder, Newby today changed his plea to guilty in the ACT Supreme Court.

The court heard Newby decided to plead guilty after accepting that his act, which he said was intended to cause serious harm, caused the death of Mr Prineas.

The prosecutor said the parties were yet to agree on a finalised statement of facts, which would be referred to at Newby’s sentencing.

Several of Mr Prineas’ family members cried as Newby entered his plea before one of the victim’s supporters yelled, “Look at this woman in the face you piece of s**t” as he was led away by corrections staff.

The details of what happened on the night Mr Prineas was killed are yet to be revealed in court.

Victim had ‘extensive’ stab wounds

On January 11 last year, police received reports of a disturbance at a townhouse in Charnwood around 1:30am.

Emergency services found Mr Prineas at the scene with “extensive” stab wounds, and he died on the way to the hospital.

The death prompted an “extensive search” by police, ending when Mr Newby handed himself in at the City Police Station that afternoon.

Two months later it was revealed in court Newby would fight the murder charge, before he formally changed his plea today.

The case will return to court next month.

Thank you for visiting My Local Pages and checking out this article regarding ACT and Australian news named “Charnwood stabbing accused Jayscen Anthony Newby pleads guilty to murder”. This news release was posted by My Local Pages as part of our news aggregator services.

#Charnwood #stabbing #accused #Jayscen #Anthony #Newby #pleads #guilty #murder



Source link

Richmond’s Sydney Stack pleads guilty to WA quarantine breach


Richmond player Sydney Stack has pleaded guilty to breaching Western Australia’s quarantine rules after he was issued a move-on notice by police at a Perth entertainment precinct when he was meant to be in self-isolation.

The Tiger was granted an exemption to return home to WA on December 10 to attend his grandfather’s funeral, however he was required to complete 14 days quarantine at a residence in Northam, the country town where he grew up.

Sydney Stack.Credit:Getty Images

The quarantine requirement was sparked by his Melbourne flight’s brief stopover in Adelaide, which was experiencing a COVID-19 outbreak at the time.

On Wednesday, the 20-year-old pleaded guilty in Perth Magistrates Court to one count of failing to comply with a direction under the Emergency Management Act after police issued him a move-on notice in Northbridge on December 19.

Thank you for stopping by and reading this article involving Aussie sports news and updates named “Richmond’s Sydney Stack pleads guilty to WA quarantine breach”. This news update was brought to you by My Local Pages Australia as part of our local and national news services.

#Richmonds #Sydney #Stack #pleads #guilty #quarantine #breach



Source link

Terminally ill breast cancer patient pleads with Queensland Health to do coronavirus quarantine at home


An immunocompromised, terminally ill Queensland woman is pleading for the state’s health officials to stop ignoring “specialists’ advice” and allow her to quarantine at home.

Lisa Laird, 49, who is a metastatic stage four breast cancer patient, returned to Brisbane on Christmas Eve after spending three months in Hong Kong to receive medical treatment.

Ms Laird applied for several exemptions to bypass mandatory hotel quarantine on medical grounds, with the support of three specialists who recommended she complete her two weeks of isolation at her home in Mission Beach.

But Ms Laird’s applications, including an offer to self-fund aeromedical transfers, were denied, and she was admitted into the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital after falling unwell upon arriving in the state.

Ms Laird criticised the exemption process and questioned the reasoning.

“Would they let this happen to their daughter or loved one in my situation?” she asked of Queensland Health.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

Breast cancer patient Lisa Laird speaks from the Royal Brisbane Women’s Hospital

“Why can celebrities isolate at home and when I have a critical medical condition, that I can’t be given an exemption?

Ms Laird said the hospital was not a suitable place for her to recover.

“I’m dehydrated … I’m losing weight, I need fresh food, I need fresh air,” she said.

“I’ve passed two COVID tests — I’m prepared to do another.

“I just don’t understand why common sense isn’t prevailing — I just want the [Chief Health Officer] to please look at this case.”

‘It’s horrifying for her’

Her husband Guy, who remains in Hong Kong, described his wife’s treatment as “cruel”.

“It’s horrifying for her, it really is — my criticism of the entire thing is the legislation exists for critical situations but they haven’t even followed it,” he said.

A woman in a face mask sits in a chair in a hospital.
Three specialists have recommended Ms Laird should quarantine at home.(Supplied)

“It’s just been a blank, generic ‘no’ every time and there hasn’t been any follow up and they’ve ignored all the specialists’ advice.”

Mr Laird said he was concerned his wife would be at risk of contracting COVID-19 in hospital.

“The possibility exists that there is COVID patients in that ward — she would be better off just being at home isolated by herself.”

Queensland Health would not comment specifically on Ms Laird’s case.

“We understand the health directions in place are strict, but they are designed to protect Queenslanders from COVID-19,” a department spokesperson said in a statement.

“About 75 per cent of the state’s cases were infected overseas and many did not test positive until they were already in quarantine.

“We absolutely understand and sympathise that this is a very difficult time to navigate, however, very few exemptions from quarantine are granted.

“If you are admitted into a hospital during your quarantine period, you will need to complete your quarantine at the hospital.”



Source link