China’s vice premier, U.S. climate envoy Kerry discuss climate cooperation: Xinhua


Chinese Vice Premier Han Zheng attends the closing session of CPPCC in Beijing
FILE PHOTO: Chinese Vice Premier Han Zheng attends the closing session of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 27, 2020. REUTERS/Thomas Peter/Pool

April 16, 2021

(Reuters) – Chinese Vice Premier Han Zheng and U.S. climate envoy John Kerry met via video link on Friday, with both sides expressing willingness to cooperate on climate change, Chinese state news agency Xinhua reported.

Han said China welcomed the U.S. return to the 2015 Paris Agreement, according to Xinhua. Kerry was in Shanghai for talks with his Chinese counterpart, Xie Zhenhua.

China was willing to strengthen cooperation with France and Germany to cope with climate change, President Xi Jinping told French counterpart Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Chinese state media reported earlier on Friday.

Xi last year announced that China, the world’s biggest emitter of greenhouse gases, would achieve a peak in carbon dioxide emissions before 2030 and carbon neutrality by 2060.

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Leslie Adler)

Thank you for seeing this news update about Global and World news called “China’s vice premier, U.S. climate envoy Kerry discuss climate cooperation: Xinhua”. This news release is posted by MyLocalPages as part of our local news services.

#Chinas #vice #premier #climate #envoy #Kerry #discuss #climate #cooperation #Xinhua



Source link

Questions over whether Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews will return in 10 days after injury


It’s unclear if Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews will return to work in 10 days, although his deputy insists he’s making steady progress after a serious back injury.

Andrews suffered broken ribs and a fractured T7 vertebra after slipping on wet stairs at a holiday home on the Mornington Peninsula on March 9.

The 48-year-old was released from hospital on March 15 and has been recovering at home since.

At the time he said he would require at least six weeks off to recover.

Deputy Premier James Merlino has been acting premier in his absence.

“This was a nasty, nasty injury. Fractured ribs, fractured vertebrae. He’s very, very lucky and that was the message from his doctors when he got discharged (from hospital),” Merlino told reporters on Thursday.

“But Dan’s doctors are pleased he’s making good progress.”

Asked if the premier would return to work as planned in 10 days, Merlino replied: “He’ll come back when his doctors say he’s able to come back”.

“Over the next couple of weeks, he’ll get advice from his doctors in terms of when it’s appropriate to return, but they’re pleased with his recovery.

Thanks for checking out this post about “News in the City of Melbourne called “Questions over whether Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews will return in 10 days after injury”. This post was shared by My Local Pages Australia as part of our VIC news services.

#Questions #Victorian #Premier #Daniel #Andrews #return #days #injury



Source link

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk will not be referred to ethics committee over private emails


The matter was referred to Speaker Curtis Pitt by opposition MP Fiona Simpson late last year, who alleged Ms Palaszczuk deliberately misled Queensland Parliament when answering a question during a debate in February 2017.

In the exchange, Ms Palaszczuk was asked by LNP MP Steve Minnikin, “does the Premier have a private email account? Has she ever used it for official purposes?” to which the Premier answered, “yes and no”.

During an estimates hearing last year, it was revealed Ms Palaszczuk received an email to her personal account from Transport Minister Mark Bailey in 2015, which discussed the job appointment of Paul Simshauser, who became director-general of the Department of Energy and Water Supply.  

“At this stage, I’m not advocating a position on him re: DG but do say we need to be thorough about him as the last thing we need is a QPC chair with an ideological perspective contra to ours and contra to our platform,” Mr Bailey wrote in the email.

It was later revealed four emails had been sent between Ms Palaszczuk and Mr Bailey’s personal accounts and the Premier had previously used two private email accounts.

When referring the matter to Mr Pitt, Ms Simpson said the discussion about the potential appointment of a director-general meant Ms Palaszczuk had used the account for official purposes.

We hope you enjoyed checking this story involving “What’s On in the City of Brisbane” named “Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk will not be referred to ethics committee over private emails”. This story was posted by MyLocalPages as part of our local and national events & news stories services.

#Queensland #Premier #Annastacia #Palaszczuk #referred #ethics #committee #private #emails



Source link

German CDU premier drops support for Laschet chancellery run


FILE PHOTO: News conference on coal phase-out laws in Berlin
FILE PHOTO: Saxony-Anhalt’s Prime Minister Reiner Haseloff attends a news conference on coal phase-out laws in Berlin, Germany July 3, 2020. John MacDougall/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

April 15, 2021

BERLIN (Reuters) – A leading German Christian Democrat has called for the conservative bloc’s choice of chancellor candidate for September’s election to be dependent on popularity ratings, effectively shifting his support behind Bavarian Markus Soeder.

With CDU Chancellor Angela Merkel stepping down after the election, pressure is mounting on the bloc to agree on a candidate as its ratings wallow near a one-year low, hurt by the government’s chaotic handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The race between Armin Laschet, CDU chairman, and Soeder, head of the CDU’s Bavarian CSU sister party, has descended into a messy spat despite both men vowing on Sunday to make a quick and amicable decision.

Saxony-Anhalt state premier Reiner Haseloff, a member of the CDU executive committee that unanimously backed Laschet on Monday, told Der Spiegel magazine that popularity should be the decisive factor in settling the candidacy question.

“Unfortunately, it is now all about the hard question of power: with whom do we have the best chance?” Haseloff said in comments published on Thursday. “It’s not about personal affection, trust or character traits.”

Haseloff’s comments make him the first leading CDU politician to distance himself from his party chief, who has been found to be far less popular than Soeder in repeated opinion polls.

Soeder’s Bavarian swagger, confidence and directness has won him support even beyond his southern state during the pandemic. By contrast, Laschet has flip-flopped on lockdown measures, turning off voters.

Haseloff is one of seven conservative state premiers, including Laschet and Soeder.

Haseloff’s state of Saxony-Anhalt lies in eastern Germany, where CDU members tend to lean towards the right. Laschet, from North Rhine-Westphalia in the west, is a centrist. Haseloff also faces a regional election on June 6, ahead of the federal vote.

There is no formal procedure for choosing the CDU/CSU candidate as in the past the candidates have decided behind closed doors.

Laschet, 60, is widely seen as a candidate who would continue Merkel’s legacy, though he has clashed with her over coronavirus restrictions. Soeder, 54, is an astute political operator who has sided with Merkel during the pandemic.

No chancellor has ever come from Soeder’s Bavarian Christian Social Union (CSU), the smaller sister party to the CDU.

While the CDU is loathe to see the balance of power in the conservative alliance shift towards the smaller party, many in the CDU are nervous about their prospects at the Sept. 26 election without Merkel, who has led them to four victories.

(Writing by Paul Carrel; Editing by Alison Williams)

Thank you for visiting My Local Pages and checking this news release about current world news named “German CDU premier drops support for Laschet chancellery run”. This news article was brought to you by MyLocalPages as part of our local and national news services.

#German #CDU #premier #drops #support #Laschet #chancellery #run



Source link

Victoria’s Acting Premier James Merlino explains fortnight freeze on AstraZeneca rollout for those under 50




Mr Merlino says the Commonwealth must provide translated materials and more clarity on indemnity issues before Victoria can resume vaccinating people under 50 with the AstraZeneca jab.

Thank you for dropping in to My Local Pages and checking out this news update about Victoria news named “Victoria’s Acting Premier James Merlino explains fortnight freeze on AstraZeneca rollout for those under 50”. This news update was posted by My Local Pages Australia as part of our Australian news services.

#Victorias #Acting #Premier #James #Merlino #explains #fortnight #freeze #AstraZeneca #rollout



Source link

IPL 2021, cricket scores, RCB vs Mumbai Indians: Glenn Maxwell praised by Virat Kohli in Indian Premier League win


Glenn Maxwell played a “momentum changing” knock as Royal Challengers Bangalore prevailed in a last-ball thriller against holders Mumbai Indians in the Indian Premier League opener played behind closed doors on Friday.

South Africa’s AB de Villiers hit a quickfire 48 while Maxwell batted at No.4 and made 39 from 28 balls which left his captain Virat Kohli pleased.

“We wanted Maxi to bat at four,” Kohli said. “The set-up was such that if we get a partnership, then Maxi comes into the game and he can do what he does.

Watch Every Match of The 2021 IPL Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Maxwell's 'momentum changing' knock

Maxwell’s ‘momentum changing’ knock

0:49

Thank you for stopping to visit My Local Pages. We Hope you enjoyed seeing this news update on the latest Australian Sports news items called “IPL 2021, cricket scores, RCB vs Mumbai Indians: Glenn Maxwell praised by Virat Kohli in Indian Premier League win”. This news update was shared by My Local Pages Australia as part of our news aggregator services.

#IPL #cricket #scores #RCB #Mumbai #Indians #Glenn #Maxwell #praised #Virat #Kohli #Indian #Premier #League #win



Source link

IPL 2021, Cricket Australia, fixtures, squads, preview, auction prices: Glenn Maxwell leads Indian Premier League Aussies


A group of 16 Australians valued at almost A$18 million are set to take the Indian Premier League by storm when the lucrative cricket franchise starts again on Saturday (AEST).

Some enter the competition with the burden of justifying hefty price tags weighing on their shoulders, others have a point to prove after being snapped up at comparatively dirt cheap prices.

Meanwhile, the T20 World Cup, being held in India from October, is just on the horizon.

There could be no better audition for selection than this year’s IPL.

These are the 16 Australians participating in the IPL, including the five players to look out for.

Thank you for spending your time with us on My Local Pages. We hope you enjoyed checking out this news update regarding International and Australian Sports news and updates titled “IPL 2021, Cricket Australia, fixtures, squads, preview, auction prices: Glenn Maxwell leads Indian Premier League Aussies”. This news release is posted by My Local Pages Australia as part of our news aggregator services.

#IPL #Cricket #Australia #fixtures #squads #preview #auction #prices #Glenn #Maxwell #leads #Indian #Premier #League #Aussies



Source link

NSW’s Tasmanian COVID quarantine plan rejected by Premier Peter Gutwein, Hobart Mayor Anna Reynolds


The Tasmanian Government has rejected a proposal from NSW to have international students quarantine in hotels in Hobart.

NSW Treasurer Dom Perrottet told a budget estimates hearing in Sydney on Monday that he had held “extensive discussions” with his Tasmanian counterparts about a “potential plan” to have returning international students quarantine in Hobart.

“We have had extensive discussions and I can assure you we will continue to prosecute the case because of the economic impacts of this industry,” Mr Perrottet said.

In a statement on Tuesday, Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein confirmed his government had received an approach from NSW.

“At this time, however, we have advised this is not under consideration, with our priority remaining the safe management of seasonal workers entering the state and our own international students when public health advice is that it is safe to do so,” Mr Gutwein said.

Tasmania has been free from coronavirus since December, when a family of four returning from overseas tested positive.

There were zero people in hotel quarantine in the state as of Monday night.

Hobart’s lord mayor says hotels are not purpose built to be quarantine facilities.(

ABC News: Luke Bowden

)

Hobart mayor Anna Reynolds told ABC Mornings she would not support her city becoming a quarantine hub for other states.

“We’ve got our own international students who are people that are halfway through their degrees at UTAS that probably want to come back, so if we’re going to be developing a program of quarantine for international students why wouldn’t we do that for our own international students,” she said.

Ms Reynolds added that she believed the hotel quarantine model needed an overhaul.

“Enough’s enough — we have to actually find a different solution and facilities that are purpose-built for quarantine, which hotels are not,” she said.

“Hotels in CBDs in particular are really unsuited.”

Mr Perrottet issued a statement in response to the Tasmanian snub, saying: “I remain committed to finding a way to return this vital industry to NSW and will continue to work constructively with colleagues such as Mr Gutwein to find a solution.”

More details about the current COVID measures are available at the Tasmanian Government’s coronavirus information website.

Thank you for visiting My Local Pages and checking this news article involving Tasmanian news called “NSW’s Tasmanian COVID quarantine plan rejected by Premier Peter Gutwein, Hobart Mayor Anna Reynolds”. This news update was presented by MyLocalPages as part of our Australian news services.

#NSWs #Tasmanian #COVID #quarantine #plan #rejected #Premier #Peter #Gutwein #Hobart #Mayor #Anna #Reynolds



Source link

Watch live: NSW Premier COVID-19 update



Premier Gladys Berejiklian, Health Minister Brad Hazzard and NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant provide a COVID-19 update.

Thank you for dropping in and seeing this story involving local and Australian news published as “Watch live: NSW Premier COVID-19 update”. This story is posted by My Local Pages Australia as part of our Australian news services.

#Watch #live #NSW #Premier #COVID19 #update



Source link

Victoria’s hotel quarantine program to resume, acting premier confirms


Victoria’s hotel quarantine program will resume for a second time after it was shutdown due to a COVID outbreak.

International passenger flights have not arrived in Melbourne since February 13 after hotel quarantine workers contracted the highly infectious UK strain of COVID at the Holiday Inn near Melbourne Airport.

The outbreak, which grew to 24 cases, triggered the state’s five-day, circuit-breaker lockdown.

On Thursday, Acting Premier James Merlino held a press conference and confirmed international flights for returning travellers will resume on April 8.

From that date it will be 800 people per week.

Then from April 15 it will be increased to 1120 each week, which is subject to the capacity of ventilation works.

“This follows independent expert reviews into the management of new, highly-infectious and rapidly changing variants of concern, and an evaluation into how each hotel ventilation system can respond to this ever-changing virus,” Merlino said in a statement.

Victoria recorded its 27th consecutive day with no local coronavirus cases on Thursday, after 15,446 tests.

Merlino also said testing of hotel residents will be boosted from two to four times during their quarantine period.

Thank you for spending time with us on My Local Pages. We hope you enjoyed reading this post involving “News in the City of Melbourne called “Victoria’s hotel quarantine program to resume, acting premier confirms”. This article was presented by My Local Pages as part of our local events, news and stories aggregator services.

#Victorias #hotel #quarantine #program #resume #acting #premier #confirms



Source link