JNJ Stock Rises: Johnson & Johnson Beats Quarterly Views, Plans To ‘Soon’ Release Covid Vaccine Test Results


Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) beat fourth-quarter estimates and said it would “soon” release pivotal test results for its coronavirus vaccine — leading JNJ stock to pop Tuesday.




X



During the fourth quarter, Johnson & Johnson earned $1.86 per share, on an adjusted basis. Earnings declined 1.1% while sales grew 8.3% to $22.48 billion. Both measures beat the view of analysts polled by FactSet for J&J earnings of $1.82 per share on $21.66 billion in sales.

Chief Executive Alex Gorsky commented that Johnson & Johnson was “built for times like these.” The Dow Jones pharmaceutical company is working on a highly anticipated one-shot coronavirus vaccine. It’s the only high-profile effort that doesn’t require two injections.

“We continue to progress our Covid-19 vaccine candidate and look forward to sharing details from our Phase 3 study soon,” Gorsky said in a written statement.

In premarket trading on the stock market today, JNJ stock jumped 1.9% near 169.

JNJ Stock Rises On Quarterly Beat

The best fourth-quarter growth came from Johnson & Johnson’s pharmaceuticals division. Drug sales popped 16.5% to $12.27 billion. Meanwhile, consumer health sales eked out a 1.4% gain and medical device sales slipped 0.7%.

Johnson & Johnson noted the consumer health division was impacted by Covid-19 pandemic as fewer people bought skin health and beauty products. Internationally, baby care products also took a hit. The pandemic also resulted in deferred medical procedures, slugging the medical devices unit.

But the company noted strong sales of treatments for inflammation, psoriasis/arthritis, schizophrenia and cancer. Drugs that treat lung conditions, Opsumit and Uptravi, also experienced growth. That was partially offset by declines for inflammation drug Remicade and cancer drugs Zytiga and Velcade.

Johnson & Johnson Guides Up

Still, JNJ stock enjoyed a pop on guidance. For the year ending in 2021, Johnson & Johnson expects $90.5 billion to $91.7 billion in sales, growing 9.5%-11%. Adjusted earnings are expected to come in at $9.40-$9.60 per share, rising 17.1%-19.6%.

Both measures easily beat analysts’ estimate for J&J to earn $8.96 per share on $88.6 billion in sales.

Tuesday’s earnings report put JNJ stock at a fresh high. Shares of JNJ stock broke out of a flat base and a buy point at 155.57 in December, according to MarketSmith.com.

Follow Allison Gatlin on Twitter at @IBD_AGatlin.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:

Merck Scraps Development Of ‘Inferior’ Covid Vaccines; Shares Dip

Covid Vaccines: Here’s What J&J Has To Do To Undercut Pfizer, Moderna

IBD Stock Of The Day: See How To Find, Track And Buy The Best Stocks

Find The Best Long-Term Investments With IBD Long-Term Leaders

Want To Get Quick Profits And Avoid Big Losses? Try SwingTrader



Thank you for stopping by and checking out this news update regarding current World Business news published as “JNJ Stock Rises: Johnson & Johnson Beats Quarterly Views, Plans To ‘Soon’ Release Covid Vaccine Test Results”. This news update is brought to you by MyLocalPages as part of our national news services.

#JNJ #Stock #Rises #Johnson #Johnson #Beats #Quarterly #Views #Plans #Release #Covid #Vaccine #Test #Results



Source link

Tasmanian Parole Board publishes reasoning behind release of rapist and murderer Jamie John Curtis


Almost two weeks after deciding to release rapist and killer Jamie John Curtis, the Tasmanian Parole Board has made its reasons public.

Curtis was jailed after he tortured a Hobart couple for 12 hours in 1986, repeatedly raping then 17-year-old Tameka Ridgeway before murdering her fiance, 22-year-old Dean Allie.

He will walk free from Hobart’s Risdon Prison on Wednesday in the wake of the parole board deciding earlier this month to release him.

The board initially refused to comment on its reasons and what safeguards were in place for the community, but its reasons have now been published.

Curtis was released for a short time in 2018 on strict conditions because of his past sex offences, but within weeks had breached the conditions of his parole by using fake names to sign up to multiple online dating sites.

He applied for parole again in September 2019 but was knocked back due to a lack of suitable accommodation and the board’s view that he needed to demonstrate improvement in his behaviour and attitude in prison before it would consider releasing him again.

Curtis applied again, appearing before the board in June, September and December last year, with his application being adjourned on each occasion for further information requested by the board.

“The board’s view was the offences that led to the applicant’s parole revocation showed an apparent disregard for the level of compliance required with the type of order the applicant would continue to be subject to in the community if granted parole,” the board said in its recent decision.

The board said Curtis’s attitude and behaviour had improved since his September 2019 application.

“Information before the board since that refusal suggests the applicant has continued to work on his attitude and behaviour as recommended and has sought and engaged with additional supports within the prison to assist in management of clearly identified risk factors for re-offending to enable re-integration into the community,” it said in its decision.

“During the past six months, the applicant has attained medium classification and is housed in medium security. He is currently employed as a wardsman and case notes provided indicate the applicant’s behaviour is polite, respectful and he engages appropriately with Correctional staff.”

The parole board said Curtis’s behaviour had improved since he last applied for parole in 2019.(Supplied)

The board noted Curtis had been working with a clinical psychologist while in custody, had suitable accommodation and his partner had provided support and assistance in establishing and organising various community supports.

Curtis was allowed to address the board but a request by his victim, Ms Ridgeway, to do the same was refused.

The board’s report revealed Curtis was classified minimum security when he first returned to jail after his breaches in 2018, but internal offending saw him put into maximum security.

Curtis has been assessed as requiring a very high level of supervision and management of his risk in the community, and he will be the first parolee in Tasmania to have to wear an electronic monitoring anklet as part of his parole conditions.

Now aged in his 60s, Curtis will spend the rest of his life on parole.

The board’s initial refusal to comment on the reasons for Curtis’s release saw advocates for victims and prisoners criticise it for what they said was its lack of transparency.

Victims of Crime Support Group Tasmania spokesperson Jim Franke said one of the problems was that because of the way the board worked, the wider public did not know what criteria went into parole decisions.

“There should be complete transparency,” he said.

“If you’re going to be letting someone back into society, we need to know the reasons why they’ve agreed to let them out so people can feel safe.”

Prisoners Legal Service chair Greg Barns SC also called for the board’s reasons to be made immediately public.

“The board’s transparency does concern us … there is no reason why those reasons should not be available on the day that a decision is made, just as it is with a court,” he said.

Thank you for checking this news article regarding National and TAS news and updates called “Tasmanian Parole Board publishes reasoning behind release of rapist and murderer Jamie John Curtis”. This news article is shared by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our national news services.

#Tasmanian #Parole #Board #publishes #reasoning #release #rapist #murderer #Jamie #John #Curtis



Source link

NRL 2021: Paul Momirovski, Wests Tigers, reject release request, Michael Maguire


EXCLUSIVE – The Wests Tigers and Paul Momirovski are locked in a dispute that threatens to escalate after the centre had two official release requests turned down by the club.

Foxsports.com.au can reveal that the Tigers are refusing to let Momirovski leave despite informing him he would not be a first-choice centre at Concord.

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!

The 24-year-old, who has 14 tries in 19 NRL games, has been training at five-eighth during the pre-season and has held three conversations with head coach Michael Maguire about being granted permission to leave.

Round 1

Rival clubs are monitoring the situation closely, with Canterbury and Penrith keen on his services.

Thank you for dropping in to My Local Pages and checking this article about Australian Sports news called “NRL 2021: Paul Momirovski, Wests Tigers, reject release request, Michael Maguire”. This article is posted by My Local Pages as part of our national news services.

#NRL #Paul #Momirovski #Wests #Tigers #reject #release #request #Michael #Maguire



Source link

NRL 2021: Brandon Smith release, Melbourne Storm, Harry Grant, hooker, Craig Bellamy, Cameron Smith retirement


Melbourne Storm star Brandon Smith has opened up on the reasons behind his pending release and how coach Craig Bellamy responded to his shock request.

The Storm confirmed in December that Smith had been “given approval to explore opportunities with other NRL clubs” for the 2022 season — the final year of his contract.

It’s understood the Bulldogs, Titans, Broncos and Wests Tigers have all expressed interest in the fiery hooker’s services, however Melbourne will require a player of similar standard in return in order to let him go.

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!

Round 1

The 24-year-old has played understudy to skipper Cameron Smith ever since he joined in the club in 2017. It was expected he would one day inherit the famous Storm No.9 jersey once his namesake retired but after Harry Grant’s sublime season, the curious case of Melbourne’s next hooker isn’t so clear-cut anymore.

Thank you for visiting My Local Pages and checking out this article involving current Australian Sports news named “NRL 2021: Brandon Smith release, Melbourne Storm, Harry Grant, hooker, Craig Bellamy, Cameron Smith retirement”. This news article was shared by MyLocalPages as part of our local news services.

#NRL #Brandon #Smith #release #Melbourne #Storm #Harry #Grant #hooker #Craig #Bellamy #Cameron #Smith #retirement



Source link

Release of refugees from hotel detention a belated humanitarian step – 16 News


The overdue release of dozens of refugees from immigration detention is a very welcome glimmer of humanity in Australia’s refugee policy, Greens Immigration Spokesperson Senator Nick McKim says.

“These men have been through so much for so long, and for them now to be able to breathe free air is a wonderful step forward for them,” Senator McKim said.

“There are still over 150 people who suffered through years of offshore detention detained in Australia. They should also be immediately released.”

“Those released today, and those still in detention, deserved freedom and safety a long time ago. Now they need permanent protection, support in our community, and a pathway to Australian citizenship.”

“There was never a legitimate reason for their detention, and it’s time to write the end of this dark chapter in our country’s story.”

“Special thanks go to the many Australian people who have protested this appalling situation.”

Thank you for spending your time with us on My Local Pages. We hope you enjoyed reading this story on New South Wales and Australian news called “Release of refugees from hotel detention a belated humanitarian step – 16 News”. This article was shared by MyLocalPages as part of our local and national news services.

#Release #refugees #hotel #detention #belated #humanitarian #step #News



Source link

Mostafa Azimitabar says his release was ‘the most beautiful moment of my life’




Refugee advocates say 46 people have been released from detention in a Melbourne hotel after more than a year in Australia under medevac laws.

Thank you for stopping by and checking this news update regarding Victoria and Australian news titled “Mostafa Azimitabar says his release was ‘the most beautiful moment of my life'”. This article was shared by MyLocalPages as part of our national news services.

#Mostafa #Azimitabar #release #beautiful #moment #life



Source link

NRL 2021: Corey Allan signs with Bulldogs, South Sydney Rabbitohs release, Trent Barrett


Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett has continued his signing spree with yet another impressive coup… and this one took just one meeting and four days to land.

Queensland Origin fullback Corey Allan took part in his first training session as a Bulldog on Monday after signing a three-year deal with the club last week.

The 22-year-old joins a list of key signings rubber stamped by Barrett including Nick Cotric, Kyle Flanagan and Jack Hetherington as well as Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton — who will both join the club in 2022.

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!

Round 1

Given Allan faced a battle to lock down a starting position with South Sydney, he jumped at the deal on offer — which is reportedly worth more than the $350,000 he was going to earn at Redfern this year.

Thanks for dropping by and checking this story about NRL news named “NRL 2021: Corey Allan signs with Bulldogs, South Sydney Rabbitohs release, Trent Barrett”. This news update was posted by My Local Pages Australia as part of our local and national news services.

#NRL #Corey #Allan #signs #Bulldogs #South #Sydney #Rabbitohs #release #Trent #Barrett



Source link

Hot felon number two: Victoria Police release mug shot of wanted man Jess Mabilia


Move over Jeremy Meeks – there’s a new ‘hot mugshot guy’ in town.

When US criminal Jeremy Meeks’ mugshot was posted online by police in California in 2014, the picture went viral – and the man with the razor-sharp cheekbones and distinctive teardrop tattoo became a model.

Now, there’s an Aussie version and his name is Jess Mabilia.

When Victoria Police posted Mabilia’s mugshot and description on their Facebook page – he is wanted on warrant for contravening court orders – the salacious comments came thick and fast.

The post has already racked up more than 6,300 comments and 330 shares.

“The 28-year-old is known to frequent the Mornington Peninsula, Frankston, Bass Coast and Geelong areas,” the post reads.

“I hope I find him on Tinder before authorities find him!”, one woman joked.

“Pretty sure I saw him in the latest David Jones catalogue, check there,” wrote another.

Thank you for dropping in to My Local Pages and seeing this news update involving Victoria and Australian news called “Hot felon number two: Victoria Police release mug shot of wanted man Jess Mabilia”. This news release was posted by MyLocalPages Australia as part of our national news services.

#Hot #felon #number #Victoria #Police #release #mug #shot #wanted #man #Jess #Mabilia



Source link

NSW to release restaurant vouchers in February and include Sydney’s northern beaches | Australia news


The first of New South Wales’ dining vouchers to encourage people back to restaurants will be distributed in February as part of a trial that has now been expanded to include Sydney’s northern beaches.

The Dine and Discover program, announced last year, includes a pack of four $25 vouchers – two to be spent on hospitality, and two on cultural experiences.

The program is set to launch in February as a pilot program with venues in the CBD, Broken Hill and The Rocks.

On Wednesday the NSW government announced it would expand the trial to include Sydney’s northern beaches, which were forced into lockdown over the Christmas break due to an outbreak of Covid-19 in Avalon.

The expansion to the northern beaches will be in phase two of the trial, Service NSW told Guardian Australia.

It is one of a number of voucher programs announced by state and territory governments across Australia attempting to repair industries such as hospitality, accomodation and entertainment hit hard by the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020.

In Victoria 70,000 $200 vouchers for regional tourism were snapped up in minutes in early December, with Victorians reportedly unable to access the website when it went live due to the high demand. The next round of vouchers will be made available at 10am on 20 January for travel between 27 January and 1 April 2021.

South Australia’s voucher program has offered all Australians $100 vouchers for Adelaide CBD accomodation and $50 vouchers for regional and suburban accomodation.

The second round went live on Tuesday and 75,000 vouchers were snapped up in 40 minutes, with users again reportedly unable to access the website due to high demand.

The South Australian Tourism Commission chief executive, Rodney Harrex, said the website was getting 112,000 requests per minute at its peak.

“In the first hour of the program, there were 3.1m requests to southaustralia.com – a very strong indication that the vouchers were in high demand, and South Australians are keen to support our state’s tourism sector,” he said in a statement.

“Like in our first round of vouchers, the allocations were spread across the CBD and regional SA. In total, 26,536 were secured for regional and metropolitan SA and 47,883 vouchers were designated to the CBD and North Adelaide.”

The other states and territories have finished their current voucher programs, with Northern Territory planning its third round of vouchers for February, and Canberra planning a launch of its program later this year.

Thanks for dropping by and checking out this news release regarding local business named “NSW to release restaurant vouchers in February and include Sydney’s northern beaches | Australia news”. This article was presented by MyLocalPages as part of our Australian and international news services.

#NSW #release #restaurant #vouchers #February #include #Sydneys #northern #beaches #Australia #news



Source link

Indonesia to release suspected Bali bombings mastermind Abu Bakar Bashir


Jakarta: Indonesia will release radical cleric and alleged mastermind of the 2002 Bali bombings Abu Bakar Bashir from prison later this week, its government said on Monday, upon completion of his jail term.

Bashir, 82, who was among Indonesia’s most notorious extremists, is considered the spiritual leader of the al Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiah (JI) network. He was jailed in 2011 for his links to militant training camps in Aceh province.

Abu Bakar Bashir, pictured at court in Jakarta in 2003. Credit:AP

Bashir will be released on Friday “in accordance with the expiration date and the end of his term,” Rika Aprianti, spokeswoman of the corrections directorate general at the law and human rights ministry, said in a statement.

Jemaah Islamiah is accused of plotting several big attacks in Indonesia and includes operatives trained in Afghanistan, Pakistan and the southern Philippines.

Thank you for dropping by My Local Pages and checking this post about QLD and Australian news titled “Indonesia to release suspected Bali bombings mastermind Abu Bakar Bashir”. This post was brought to you by My Local Pages as part of our local news services.

#Indonesia #release #suspected #Bali #bombings #mastermind #Abu #Bakar #Bashir



Source link