The army’s deputy spokesman, Deo Akiiki, told Reuters that security officers at Wine’s house were assessing threats he could face by going out: “So they might be preventing him in the interest of his own safety.”
Soldiers and police were out in force patrolling Kampala on Saturday.
Museveni, 76 and in power for 35 years, campaigned for another term arguing his long experience in office makes him a good leader and promising to keep delivering stability and progress.
Wine, 38, galvanised young Ugandans with his calls for political change and pledged to end what he calls dictatorship and widespread corruption.
Wine, whose real name is Robert Kyagulanyi, said on Friday he had video proof of voting fraud, and would share the videos as soon as internet connections were restored. The government ordered the internet shut down the day before the election, and the blackout was still in place.
Electoral Commission Chairman Simon Byabakama said on Friday that under Ugandan law, the burden of proof rested with Wine.
Reuters has not independently verified Wine’s claims.
The United States and the European Union did not deploy observer teams, but the US State Department’s top diplomat for Africa, Tibor Nagy, said in a tweet early on Saturday that the “electoral process has been fundamentally flawed”.
He cited fraud reports, denial of accreditation to observers, violence and harassment of opposition members, and the arrest of civil society activists.
The African Union and East African Community sent observer teams to the election, but neither group of officials responded to requests for comment about possible irregularities.
Police recorded 42 election-related offences nationwide during voting and tallying so far, police spokesman Fred Enanga said on Friday night on local NBS TV. Offences included assaults, voter bribery, and theft and damage of electoral materials, he said.
The run-up to Thursday’s election was more violent than in previous polls. Security forces cracked down on opposition candidates and their supporters during the campaign, and more than 50 people died in protests in November on one of the multiple occasions when Wine was arrested.
Most Viewed in World
Thank you for dropping by My Local Pages and seeing this story involving NSW and Australian news published as “Uganda’s Museveni declared winner of presidential poll, rival alleges fraud”. This news release was presented by My Local Pages Australia as part of our local and national news services.
A rival for Justis Huni’s Townsville bout is finally on the cusp of being announced, with a contender set to be unveiled within the next two days.
We hope you enjoyed checking out this story on Northern Territory and Australian news published as “Call on Huni’s Townsville rival closes in”. This post was shared by My Local Pages Australia as part of our local and national news services.
Reddit has bought TikTok rival Dubsmash, becoming the latest social media platform to expand into the increasingly competitive viral video segment.
The Silicon Valley-based online discussion forum did not disclose the financial terms of the cash and stock deal, its highest-profile acquisition to date.
In a statement published on Sunday, Reddit said it planned to integrate Dubsmash’s video creation tools into its platform, while allowing the app to “maintain its own platform and brand”. Launched in 2014, Dubsmash is known for hosting short user-generated video and lip-syncing clips.
The acquisition comes as social media groups increasingly shift from focusing on social and private messaging features to hosting viral entertainment platforms in a bid to emulate the success of Chinese-owned TikTok, which popularised the short, scrollable video format.
In August, Facebook launched a TikTok imitator, Reels, within the Instagram camera app.
Last month, Snap rolled out its own video-app clone, dubbed Spotlight, that showcases hand-selected creator content to users. As an incentive, Snapchat has promised that $1m a day will be divvied up among the influencers who are featured, depending on how many views they get.
Both Facebook and Snap had previously approached Dubsmash about a potential acquisition, according to US media reports. The company was most recently valued at $47.5m in November 2016, according to PitchBook. It has raised a total of $20m from venture capital investors to date, according to Crunchbase data.
Reddit, which already has its own native video and live streaming features, said in its statement that Dubsmash hosted 1bn video views a month.
“Dubsmash elevates under-represented creators, while Reddit fosters a sense of community and belonging across thousands of different topics and passions,” said Steve Huffman, Reddit’s chief executive.
The fast-growing discussion forum has previously has come under fire for hosting hate speech from fringe and far-right groups, and has taken steps to better police its platform as it looks to attract more advertising clients.
Dubsmash’s entire team, including its three co-founders Suchit Dash, Jonas Drüppel, and Tim Specht, will join Reddit.
#techFT brings you news, comment and analysis on the big companies, technologies and issues shaping this fastest moving of sectors from specialists based around the world. Click here to get #techFT in your inbox.
Anthony Joshua has retained his heavyweight titles after knocking out Kubrat Pulev in the ninth round of their match.
Bookies’ favourite Joshua had put his IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight championship belts on the line against Pulev, an IBF mandatory challenger, as they fought in their world heavyweight title bout at Wembley Arena.
The British fighter lasted nine rounds with the Bulgarian before landing him a huge right hand to KO his rival.
Joshua quickly left the ring afterwards to embrace former boxing star Floyd Mayweather at the ringside.
Ahead of the match, former boxing star Mayweather called Joshua a “hell of a fighter and a gentleman”.
The Watford-born star, 31, walked out to The White Stripes’ Seven Nation Army as the 1,000 fans in the arena belted out his name.
In the first round, both men were cagey at first, with Joshua the first to throw a punch before Pulev responded with a jab.
Things heated up in the third round and Pulev found himself in trouble, eventually being floored by Joshua.
But the Bulgarian was soon hitting back fiercely and holding his ground.
However, it was not enough to overcome Joshua, who landed four uppercuts before sending Pulev toppling to the floor.
As the Bulgarian rose to his feet, his rival unleashed a knockout blow.
Speaking after his win, Joshua told reporters: “I hope everyone was satisfied tonight.
“For me, I stuck to what I know best, boxing. You ask the crowd what they want to see!”
It was Joshua’s first fight in the UK for two years and it sets the stage for him to face fellow British boxing champion Tyson Fury in a fight planned for 2021.
Britain’s heavyweight rivals hold all the world boxing titles after Fury claimed the WBC belt with a stoppage win over Deontay Wilde in Las Vegas.
The pair have agreed to a heavyweight showdown in what is likely to be billed as the biggest fight in British boxing history.
Coincidentally, Tyson’s Fury first cousin Hughie Fury, who is also a heavyweight, won his fight earlier in the night by unanimous decision.
Australia’s bid for a summer Olympic games in 2032 has taken on a new urgency on the sidelines of the country’s deteriorating relationship with China and the prospect of a rival bid from Chengdu-Chongqing.
There are a number of official bids for the 2032 games, including Brisbane, Indonesia, Germany and Qatar
The Chinese Government has signalled Chengdu-Chongqing may join in the bidding process
The IOC’s newly-announced human rights strategy is putting the spotlight on how the issue is handled by all prospective bidding countries
Brisbane 2032 is the most advanced of several bids but with conversations stalled because of COVID-19, rival bids continue to mount from Indonesia, Qatar, Germany, and possibly India, South Korea and Turkey.
China announced a week ago that it may throw its hat into the ring, in direct competition to Australia’s bid to host the games.
Beijing staged a successful summer games in 2008 and will host the next Winter Olympics in 2022, although China is under increasing pressure from human rights groups and others, some of whom are pushing for a boycott.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk met with Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) boss John Coates on Monday.
“We’ve had once again a really positive discussion about the possibility of a future Olympics here in Queensland for 2032,” the Premier said.
“Today was very significant in that we were able to discuss getting our Olympic taskforce, our working group, back together in the New Year to look at the next stages that we have to go through.”
Three weeks ago, Coates accompanied IOC president Thomas Bach on a visit to Tokyo to check on the latest developments for next year’s postponed 2020 Olympics.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison was also in Tokyo at the time and invited Bach and Coates to meet, reinforcing the Federal Government’s support for Queensland’s bid.
“The IOC are in what is called ‘continuous dialogue’ [with Brisbane] but so are four or five other cities,” Coates said.
“The IOC is meeting each night this week and usually at our executive board meetings, the question of future bids is on the agenda.”
Coates said it was important for the IOC to hear Ms Palaszscuk’s message today, including “her desire to move to further discussions with a view to what they call ‘targeted dialogue”.
“I think with COVID under control in this country, largely, it is time for everyone to reaffirm their commitment to these games and I think that’s going to be very well received,” Coates said.
A shift to targeted dialogue would mean Brisbane would gain status as one of one or more “preferred hosts”.
Organisation gives Brisbane the edge so far, says expert
Robert Livingstone, a business journalist for GamesBids.com who focusses on host city selections, said Brisbane 2032 has the edge over other cities but China’s bid cannot be discounted.
“Clearly, Brisbane and Queensland is far more advanced in their organisation than any of the other bids,” he said.
“It’s put them in the driver’s seat amongst their rivals.
“Chinese bids can never be discounted … the IOC definitely will be looking at it and taking it seriously, they have a strong relationship with China.
“They have the Beijing 2022 winter games coming up, so they have that relationship ongoing … the longer this race goes on, the more chance China has.”
This was a point not lost on the AOC president, Coates, who is driving the Brisbane 2032 bid.
Coates is recognised as one of the most politically astute members of the IOC and as a vice-president, understands the internal workings of the organisation better than most.
Human rights issues key to deciding games
Pressure will now be ramped up to have the IOC make an early decision on which city will be awarded hosting rights, at a time when human rights are also on the agenda.
The IOC has consistently argued it is ‘politically neutral’, distancing itself from previous human rights controversies — but having confirmed its commitment to creating a human rights strategy, the ground has shifted.
Bach is thought to be behind the IOC’s push to reimagine its role, previously stating “we need to change because sport today is too important in society to ignore the rest of society”.
Former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Prince Zeid Ra’ad al Hussein has been advising the IOC since 2018 in his role as the self-described ‘supreme authority’ of the Olympic movement.
“There is this question over whether you can separate what is part of the human experience from another part of the human experience and are these almost artificial delineations?” he told The Ticket.
“As the media became more committed to following so many of the individual [human rights] stories you began to see the pressure building.
“There is a strong non-discrimination requirement already in the IOC charter, but discrimination isn’t just [relevant] at the time of the games.”
Prince Zeid said when it comes to human rights, no country has a clean slate.
“What’s very dangerous is to present yourself as a country — and I’m not saying this of Australia specifically, but any country — that you are human rights sensitive when it comes to women’s rights issues, or child rights issues, or the rights of persons with disabilities, but not when it comes to the rights of migrants or the rights of indigenous peoples,” he said.
“You can’t [issue] shop like that. You’re either committed or you are not committed. You can’t just sort of cherrypick this.
“If you are going to be a human rights dedicated community it requires moral consistency, and playing fast and loose with some of it is rather regrettable.”
Police are investigating after a violent clash between members of rival bikie gangs broke out at a popular Scarborough bar.
The brawl kicked off about 7.30pm on Tuesday, shortly after the two bikies arrived at The Sandbar.
After exchanging harmless pleasantries — even shaking hands — the situation quickly soured, with CCTV footage obtained by Nine News showing one man repeatedly punching and kneeing the other.
As blow after blow was delivered, stunned staff and patrons scrambled out of the way, toppling over furniture in their rush to safety.
One of the men was taken from the popular beachside night spot to Royal Perth Hospital, while the other was charged by the WA National Anti-Gang Squad for fighting in public and causing fear.
It comes two months after a police sting which saw at least half a dozen Hells Angels bikies get ejected from The Lookout.
At the time, Scarborough police Sergeant Craig Wanstall said the members of the outlaw motorcycle gang were resting their club colours on their laps, adding that it is not permitted to wear these patches as a condition of entry to licensed premises.
Gang crime officers ejected the Hells Angels under section 115 of the liquor licensing act for being “quarrelsome and disorderly”, but no arrests were made.
Collingwood’s interest in Hawthorn forward Jack Gunston remains, according to The Herald Sun.
Gunston is coming off an outstanding 2020 season that saw him win his first best and fairest as well as finishing third in the Coleman Medal with 31 goals.
It’s understood that the Magpies are keen on prising Gunston out of the Hawks while looking to offload midfielder Adam Treloar.
The report also states that Hawthorn want a first-round pick for Gunston who has two years left on his contract.
Matthew Lloyd says Gunston is the type of player Collingwood need to enhance their premiership chances.
“Well done Collingwood if you were able to get Adam Treloar out and Jack Gunston in,” Lloyd told AFL Trade Radio’s The Early Trade.
“He’s the type of player they need. At the end of it all I’d go, ‘Ok, now I know why Collingwood were trying to get Adam Treloar out because they had Jack Gunston in the wings all along’.
“If you can get Adan Treloar out and Jack Gunston in, I think it would be a pretty big win for Collingwood.”
But Lloyd would hold out for a higher pick before entertaining the possibility of trading Gunston.
“Pick 16 in a draft like this, If I was Hawthorn, I would keep Jack Gunston,” the Essendon great said.
“I’ve been in situations late in my career where senior players just kept going out the door and we were a mess by the end of it, just too much youth in the team and lacked direction and senior players.
“If I was a Hawthorn supporter and I saw Isaac Smith going out and then I saw Jack Gunston going out, I’d say, ‘Where are we going?’ Is it worth me buying a
membership next year?
“If it’s around the pick No.10 mark, I’m starting to think about it now, but if it pushes out to 17 or 18, I’d be keeping Jack.”
Kane Cornes pondered how the Hawks can improve their draft hand without sacrificing a senior player with good currency.
“If you got a first-round pick for Gunston from Hawthorn I could understand that take with where the Hawks are at right now, but how does that satisfy Alastair Clarkson with a couple of years left on his contract?” Cornes said.
“It basically means they’re going to go to the bottom of the ladder.
“You’re going to have to get some talent in, how do you do that though without giving up something would be the question.
“Is this year the year to do it? How else do you go to the draft without giving up a player who’s going to be 30, has probably got two good really years of footy left in him, what else do you do?”
Hawthorn hold picks 4, 24, 45, 46, 49, 65, 72 in this year’s draft.