Can you foil the love tonight? – India’s ruling party invents a Muslim plot against Hindu women | Asia




Source link

Ruling in Cameco tax case tied to sale of Russian uranium puts billions in revenue at stake, CRA says


Article content continued

An increase in prices created “substantial” profits for Cameco’s Swiss subsidiary from selling uranium, the decision said. Meanwhile, the federal government has pointed out Cameco Canada reported losses of $154 million and $166 million in 2005 and 2006.

Ottawa is alleging that Cameco expected uranium prices to rise and aimed to lower its taxes by shifting profits to a one-man company in low-tax Switzerland. The federal government wants those Swiss profits reallocated to Cameco in Canada, and the CRA has issued reassessments that would add approximately $483.4 million to Cameco’s income for those three tax years.

To do so, the CRA relied on rules around transfer pricing for its reassessments, which require cross-border transactions between related parties to have similar terms and conditions as those involving “arm’s length” companies. If they do not, the CRA can make adjustments and penalize the taxpayer.

Cameco appealed the reassessments to the Tax Court, which sided with Cameco on the transfer-pricing issues and found, contrary to the government’s opinion, that the transactions were not a “sham.”

The federal government appealed only the transfer-pricing matter, arguing Cameco would not have entered into any of the transactions it did with its Swiss subsidiary with an “arm’s length” company. However, the Federal Court of Appeal also sided with Cameco and dismissed the government’s appeal.

“As all the transactions between Cameco and its subsidiary were done on market terms, the government’s allegation that there was ‘profit shifting’ was unfounded,” wrote lawyers from Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP, which represented the company. www.osler.com/en/resources/regulations/2020/federal-court-of-appeal-dismisses-crown-s-appeal-in-cameco



Source link

Shayna Jack’s lawyer claims Court of Arbitration for Sport ruling proves Australian swimmer didn’t cheat


Shayna Jack’s lawyer says the Australian swimmer has reason to feel vindicated by the Court of Arbitration for Sport’s (CAS) decision to reduce her doping suspension to two years.

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, whose functions are now operated by Sport Integrity Australia, had recommended Jack receive a four-year suspension after she tested positive to the banned substance Ligandrol last year.

The positive doping test had forced Jack to withdraw from Australia’s squad at the 2019 world swimming championships in South Korea.

Jack launched an appeal to the Swiss-based CAS, who last night ruled the result of the out-of-competition test showed the Commonwealth Games gold medallist had ingested Ligandrol but not intentionally in their view.

CAS imposed a reduced sanction of two years — commencing on the date of her provisional suspension (July 12, 2019) — meaning she will be free to return to competitive swimming next July but will miss Australia’s qualification period for the Tokyo Olympics.

Jack’s Brisbane-based lawyer Tim Fuller said the CAS ruling proved the 22-year-old was not a doping cheat.

“I think probably the thing that is most noteworthy about this case is the fact that the court has been very, very emphatic in saying there was no intent and intent is all about cheating,” he told the ABC.

“This is not somebody that set out to gain from the system. She was caught up in a situation that’s unexplainable.

“And that’s what the court — after an extensive and long-running investigation and hearing — has actually handed down.”

Jack (left) won Commonwealth Games gold in 2018 as a member of Australia’s 4×100 metres freestyle relay team.(AAP: Darren England)

Mr Fuller said Jack was experiencing “mixed feelings” because she would not be eligible to qualify for the Olympics next year.

But he said she was encouraged that she would be able to resume her career.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

Play Video. Duration: 3 minutes 48 seconds

Shayna Jack’s lawyer says the court found there was no intent to cheat.

“She can’t come back to competitive swimming until July next year,” Mr Fuller said.

“But look, in the end her career has been saved.”

Mr Fuller said CAS had recognised Jack’s honesty.

“One of the things that was noted in that decision was that she didn’t try to float these wild theories about how it got into her body,” he said.

“She just was up front and honest and said ‘I don’t know’ and that’s what the court’s ruled on.”

Loading…

Jack took to Instagram last night to express her relief following the ruling.

“I accept this decision with a positive attitude and with gratitude that my career as a swimmer will resume next year,” Jack wrote.

“I have never doubted myself for a minute throughout this ordeal and I have never allowed my integrity to be compromised.

“I walk a little taller tonight with the fact that this ordeal is finally over.”

Sport Integrity Australia released a statement on Monday night saying it remained satisfied that “it was appropriate to recommend a sanction of four years” based on the information available to the agency.

The agency’s chief executive David Sharpe said it would “consider the decision in greater detail before making any further comment”.

Sport Integrity Australia was given 21 days to lodge an appeal.

Jack was regarded as a rising star of Australian swimming prior to her positive doping test.

She was a member of Australia’s 4x100m freestyle relay team that set a world record at the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.

She also won two silver and two bronze medals in relays at the 2017 world championships in Budapest.



Source link

Andrew Moloney’s denied title over Joshua Franco due to contentious accidental headbutt ruling



Australian boxer Andrew Moloney has been controversially denied the WBA super flyweight title after being deemed to have headbutted opponent Joshua Franco.

Though Moloney convincingly had the better of the fight, the referee deemed an eye injury sustained by Franco had been caused by an “accidental headbutt” in the first round and, after half an hour of review, officials upheld the decision.

But replays showed any head-to-head contact was minimal at best while Moloney had landed several punches on Franco’s eye, any of which could conceivably have caused the injury.

Franco was unable to continue due to the injury, but the referee’s ruling that it had been caused by the headbutt meant the fight was ruled a “no decision”, instead of the TKO victory Moloney felt he had deserved.

“That eye was closed by 50 jabs,” Moloney said after the fight.

“I can’t believe that they took this away from me. I’ve trained my arse off the last five months, been away from my family. I can’t believe they didn’t give it to me.”

Loading

Bob Arum, the promoter of the fight, said he was “disgusted” by the decision and that he and any future fights he promotes would “get the f**k out of Vegas”.

“People blame me because I’m the promoter, but I’ve got nothing to do with the god damn thing, I just want a fair adjudication,” Arum said.

“The referee made a mistake, and they [the officials] have his back, it’s clear. I mean, it’s not even close.”

Loading

Robert Byrd, one of the replay officials, said he saw “two headbutts”.

“The punches only made it [the eye injury] worse,” he said.

The decision was widely panned across social media, with most observers sympathetic with Moloney.

Loading

Loading

Even Oscar-winning actress Helen Mirren chimed in, saying the Aussie was “robbed”.

Loading…



Source link

Against daunting odds – Despite the pandemic, India’s ruling party triumphs again | Asia




Source link

‘Traumatised’ women in Poland are looking abroad for help after the country’s abortion ruling


Abortion charities are reporting a sharp increase in the number of Polish women turning to them for help after a constitutional court ruling last month to tighten legislation.

For Ciocia Basia (Aunt Basia), a Berlin-based group helping Polish women with abortions in Germany, the ruling worsens a situation already complicated by the pandemic.

“We have had a high increase in callers. Three times as many as before,” Cioca Basia volunteer Ula Bertin told AFP.

The Polish court ruling struck down a provision of the law that had allowed abortions in cases of severe foetal anomalies, triggering a wave of protests.

Even though the verdict is not yet in force, activist groups say Polish doctors are now even more reticent to perform permitted abortions lest they fall on the wrong side of the law.

Ms Bertin said that often women seeking help “were already in the process of arranging an abortion in Poland and now no one wants to do it. So they’re mentally exhausted, traumatised”.

“They’re punished twice because the child they were awaiting has turned out to be sick and may not survive, but they’re being forced to deliver. It’s emotional torture.”

People take part in a protest against the tightening of the abortion law in Wroclaw, south-west Poland, 30 October 2020

PAP

Other organisations are reporting a similar uptick in calls for help, despite the difficulties of foreign travel because of measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

Abortion Without Borders (AWB), a multinational coalition, said that since the ruling it has helped 40 women travel or arrange to travel abroad for abortion – already more than double its monthly average.

Mara Clarke from AWB said the sudden increase in calls from Polish women was also due to the fact that “protesters were chanting the name of our organisation and phone number” at the mass nationwide demonstrations.

‘Scramble for another solution’

Since launching in December, the network has provided information on how to access pills to hundreds of Poles who then had at-home medical abortions – a grey zone in Poland, neither authorised nor banned by law.

For those requiring a surgical procedure, the coalition offers logistical and financial support so they can abort in Austria, Britain, Germany or the Netherlands.

Kasia Roszak, from the coalition’s Dutch group Abortion Network Amsterdam, said many recent callers had abortions planned at Polish hospitals and “were sort of left on their own”.

Some had got referrals for the procedure but were told that no one would actually undertake it. Others saw their appointments indefinitely postponed.

“So they had to scramble for another solution,” she told AFP.

Even before the court ruling, some who qualified in Poland would contact the group after sensing that doctors were playing for time to avoid the procedure.

“The legal abortion process was already complicated and not very user-friendly,” said Roszak.

Poland has some of Europe’s most restrictive abortion laws and the ruling would allow terminations only in cases of rape, incest and when the life of the mother is at stake.

A country of 38 million, Poland sees fewer than 2,000 legal abortions every year, according to official statistics. Women’s groups estimate that another 200,000 women abort illegally or abroad.

‘Parallel universe’

When Warsaw resident Hanna was in her early 20s and not ready to start a family, she got an abortion in the Netherlands with help from relatives there.

“I really liked how professional it was. Because I’ve heard from friends about Poland’s abortion underground, and it’s less pleasant,” the 38-year-old mother-of-two told AFP.

“There’s the feeling that you’re doing something illegal, that you have to visit the gynaecologist on the sly at night, and the fear that if something goes wrong there’s nowhere to file a complaint or to get help.”

People demonstrate against restrictions on abortion law by blocking traffic in the centre of Krakow, Poland on 2 November.

People demonstrate against restrictions on abortion law by blocking traffic in the centre of Krakow, Poland on 2 November.

Getty Images

Ms Bertin from Ciocia Basia said Poles will burst into tears after a check-up because they feel they have entered “a parallel universe where the things that for them are taboo… are for us normal, simply normal”.

While Poles are now getting a little help from their friends abroad, the reverse was once true: thousands of Swedes travelled to Poland for abortions in the 1960s when they were banned at home.

Poland had unfettered access to abortion then, as today’s legislation was only adopted in 1993 as part of a church-state compromise after communism.

Swedish Gender Equality Minister Asa Lindhagen said she believes it is time to return the favour and has called for the government “to stand up for Polish women” and offer free, subsidised abortions.

“No woman should have to risk her life undergoing an illegal abortion.”



Source link

Confident but not uncontested. Internal campaign documents show that Russia’s ruling political party has a plan hold onto the State Duma and beat Alexey Navalny’s strategic voting initiative




The leaders of United Russia, the party that has dominated national politics since it was founded roughly two decades ago, fully expect to lose seats in next year’s parliamentary elections, but they have a plan to maintain their constitutional majority in the State Duma, according to campaign documents obtained by Meduza. In the 2021 races, Russia’s “party of power” intends to nominate “specialists in socially significant or socially approved spheres of activity,” and it’s looking for ways to beat “Smart Vote,” the strategic voting initiative spearheaded by opposition figure Alexey Navalny’s team.



Source link

McKenna not ruling out future AFL return


Two months after retiring from the AFL to head back to Ireland, former Essendon dasher Conor McKenna says he’d be open to returning to the sport in the future on a part-time basis.

McKenna, 24, quit Essendon with a year left on his contract in September to return to Ireland after 79 AFL games in six seasons.

He quickly settled back into Gaelic football with County Tyrone, winning the GAA’s peer-voted player of the month award for October.

McKenna has flagged the possibility of joining an AFL club for the back-end of a season via a mid-season draft or similar, provided the timing lined up with County Tyrone being eliminated from their own championship.

“I don’t think it’s (my AFL career is) totally done,” McKenna told reporters in Ireland.

“There’s a thing in the AFL where you can get a mid-season draft so you can actually get drafted in June and go out from June until September. It’s only really a two or three-month thing.

“I do think the possibility may be there in three or four years with Gaelic, the way they’re talking about a split season, if Tyrone was out and the club was out of the championship and there was a possibility of going over for two or three months, it’s not something I’d close the door on.”

There was no mid-season draft this year and the process is likely to change again next season.

This week, the AFL put forward a proposal for next year – yet to be signed off on – that would allow clubs to add eligible players to their rookie list on three separate occasions during the season, rather than via a single mid-season draft.

Undrafted and other eligible players would need to opt into that player pool between the end of the pre-season supplementary selection period and prior to round one.





Source link

Georgia Opposition Calls for Protests as Ruling Party Claims Vote Win


Georgia’s opposition called Sunday for mass protests after the ruling Georgian Dream party claimed victory in a tightly contested parliamentary election.

Exiled ex-president and opposition leader Mikheil Saakashvili accused Georgian Dream of falsifying Saturday’s vote and urged his supporters to take to the streets.

The vote could spark another political crisis in the ex-Soviet republic of four million, where elections are often followed by accusations of fraud and mass demonstrations.

Saakashvili’s United National Movement party (UNM) was already calling for a protest rally Sunday afternoon outside parliament.

Independent local election observers also said there had been multiple irregularities.

It was unclear whether the opposition would be able to mobilize large numbers of supporters, with many Georgians weary of political instability and worried by the coronavirus pandemic.

With votes from nearly 92 percent of precincts counted, Georgian Dream had won 48 percent of the proportional vote, against 45.5 percent for opposition parties, the Central Election Commission said.

The proportional vote decides 120 of the 150 seats in the legislature. 

Georgian Dream’s leader, billionaire ex-prime minister Bidzina Ivanishvili, said his party “has won elections for the third time in a row.

“Georgians have elected a great team,” he said.

But Saakashvili, a charismatic reformer who led Georgia from 2004 to 2013, accused the ruling party of “massively falsifying election results” and announced a “mass mobilization to defend votes”.

Georgia became a darling of the West after Saakashvili came to power in the 2003 Rose Revolution and instituted reforms to boost democratic institutions and battle corruption.

But a 2008 war with Russia and political infighting has dimmed hopes of the country joining NATO and the European Union. 

Georgian Dream — widely seen as a vehicle for Ivanishvili’s political ambitions — emerged in 2012 and has since dominated the country’s politics.

Setback for Democracy

Georgia remains one of the most pluralistic countries to emerge from the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union, although concerns have been growing that it is backsliding on democracy.

Independent local election observers also criticized Saturday’s vote.

The polls “marked a setback of Georgia’s democracy,” the Georgian branch of Transparency International said in a statement.

Tbilisi-based election watchdog GYLA said “election day was marred by… serious violations”.

In an unprecedented show of unity months ahead of the vote, Saakashvili’s UNM party and smaller opposition groups joined forces to challenge Georgian Dream.

They had held talks on forming a coalition government if elected.

With another 30 seats to be assigned in single-mandate constituencies requiring up to two rounds of voting, the final makeup of the new parliament may only become clear in late November.

Saakashvili was forced to flee Georgia at the end of his second term as president in 2013, fearing arrest after prosecutors accused him of abusing power — charges he has denied.

Western capitals have accused the Georgian Dream-led government of mounting a political witch-hunt against the ex-president and his allies and Interpol has turned down requests from Tbilisi to issue a red notice against Saakashvili.

Critics accuse Ivanishvili of persecuting political opponents and creating a corrupt system in which private interests dominate politics.

Extremely Shaky Majority

Despite a spike in coronavirus infections, voter turnout stood at more than 56 percent, up from the 51 percent in the 2016 parliamentary elections, the Central Election Commission said.

International monitors from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe were due to present their preliminary assessment of the conduct of the vote at a press conference later on Sunday.

Tbilisi-based analyst Gela Vasadze said Georgia appeared headed for a period of political uncertainty, even if the opposition fails to bring out big crowds of protesters.

“The coronavirus pandemic will of course scare off many from taking to the streets,” Vasadze told AFP. 

“In any case, Georgian Dream will have an extremely shaky majority in the new parliament,” he said, raising the possibility of another snap vote “in the nearest future”.



Source link