Texas boy, 3, dies after accidentally shooting himself in the chest at birthday party


A Texas child is dead after accidentally shooting himself in the chest during his birthday party, according to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies were dispatched to a home in Porter, Texas — about 25 miles north of Houston — on Saturday for a wellness check, according to a press release.

When the officers arrived, they were told the child, 3, who has not been identified, had been shot in the chest. Family and friends had gathered at the home for the birthday party.

While playing cards they heard the gunshot go off.

The child found the gun, a pistol, after it fell out of a family member’s pocket, according to the press release.

Related: About two-thirds of the 1,000-plus parents separated from their kids under a 2017 pilot program were deported before a federal judge ordered that they be found.

The boy was taken to a nearby fire station where he later died from his wounds.

It was unclear if an investigation was ongoing into the death, and the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office said its “thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of this tragic accident.”



Source link

Dog shooting accused awaits ruling in court hearing



A DECISION is set to be handed down today in the hearing of a man charged with the bow and arrow shooting of a dog on a leafy Byron Shire street.

South Golden Beach man Robert Bruce Stewart, 60, has been facing a hearing on a charge of recklessly torturing and seriously injuring an animal.
He has pleaded not guilty.

He is also facing, and defending, a backup charge of committing an act of aggravated cruelty.

The court has heard Mr Stewart found his neighbour’s Irish wolfhound x malamute, named Bucket, outside his chicken coop about 7.30am on December 6 last year.

Mr Stewart, a former member of two Northern Rivers archery clubs, told Byron Bay Local Court on Wednesday he shot arrows toward the coop with the intention of striking a piece of metal and causing a noise to scare Bucket away.

He said the first arrow hit the dirt and a second struck the metal.

A third, he claimed, ricocheted off a tree then struck Bucket, severing his spine.

The dog was euthanased after a vet surgeon found there was no other option.

Police prosecutor Alix Thom told the court “severe pain was inflicted” by Mr Stewart’s actions and even if he had no intent to hurt the dog, there was “recklessness” as to the potential consequence of his choice to fire the arrows.

Mr Stewart told the court he did not feel safe to confront the dog which he says was “snapping at” his chicken coop, in light of previous incidents in which he claims other neighbourhood dogs “rushed” him and his family.

Some witness accounts conflicted with this and suggested Mr Stewart acted belligerently toward dogs and their owners without provocation.

During cross examination, Mr Stewart said it hadn’t occurred to him there was a risk, in firing arrows, that he might harm Bucket.

“In my submission the animal was clearly tortured by the metal arrow that severed his spine,” Ms Thom said.

“This is a person who’s had conflict with six different people on his street that all own dogs.

“The actions of the defendant are excessive and disproportionate to the threat as he perceived it.”

Defence lawyer John Weller said the outcome of the incident was “regrettable” and “sad”, but maintained his client had no intention to harm the dog.

In his client’s mind, Bucket was in “a frenzy” and there was a risk of “an imminent attack on his chickens”, Mr Weller said.

The court heard Mr Stewart told a neighbour words to the effect of: “he’s gonna die, I’ve shot him” and Mr Weller accepted his client “doesn’t have the best bedside manner”.

Bur he argued the accused took responsibility for the matter and said there was “not a skerrick of inconsistency” in his evidence.

Magistrate Karen Stafford is expected to hand down her decision today.





Source link

Witnesses report Nigerian soldiers shooting protesters at anti-police brutality rallies – National


Soldiers opened fire on Nigerians protesting against police brutality in the Lekki district of the commercial capital Lagos on Tuesday, and at least two people were shot, four witnesses told Reuters.

Thousands of Nigerians have demonstrated nationwide every day for nearly two weeks against a police unit, the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), that rights groups had for years accused of extortion, harassment, torture and murders. The unit was disbanded on Oct. 11 but the protests have persisted with demonstrators calling for a raft of law enforcement reforms.

Read more:
Anti-police protesters storm prison in Nigeria, freeing some 200 inmates

“They started firing ammunition toward the crowd. They were firing into the crowd,” said Alfred Ononugbo, 55, a security officer after the soldiers opened fire. “I saw the bullet hit one or two persons,” he said.

Story continues below advertisement

The condition of those two people was not immediately known. Amnesty International has said at least 15 people had been killed since the protests began.

In a Twitter post, the Nigerian Army said no soldiers were at the scene of the shooting on Tuesday night in Lekki, an upmarket district where the toll gate has been the site of daily protests in Lagos, Africa’s biggest city.

Lagos State Goveror Babajide Sanwo-Olu tweeted pictures of him visiting people in hospital who were victims of what he referred to as the “unfortunate shooting incident at Lekki.”

Story continues below advertisement

He said 25 people were being treated for mild to moderate injuries, two were receiving intensive care and three had been discharged.

“As the Governor of our state, I recognize the buck stops at my table and I will work with the FG (federal government) to get to the root of this unfortunate incident and stabilize all security operations to protect the lives of our residents,” said Sanwo-Olu, adding that he would give a state broadcast on Wednesday morning.

The Lagos state government earlier said it would open an investigation into the shooting, which witnesses said began at about 7 p.m. (1800 GMT).

A Nigerian army spokesman did not immediately respond to requests for comment.


Click to play video 'Monumental tasks lie ahead for Nigeria’s next president'







Monumental tasks lie ahead for Nigeria’s next president


Monumental tasks lie ahead for Nigeria’s next president

Inyene Akpan, 26, a photographer, said more than 20 soldiers arrived at the toll gate in Lekki and opened fire. He said he saw two people being shot.

Story continues below advertisement

Akinbosola Ogunsanya, a third witness, said he saw around 10 people being shot. Ogunsanya, who said lights went out shortly before the soldiers arrived, also said he saw soldiers remove bodies.

Another witness, Chika Dibia, said soldiers hemmed in people as they shot at them.

Read more:
Armed group in Nigeria claims it has killed 4 kidnapped humanitarian workers: aid agency

Video verified by Reuters showed men walking slowly in formation toward demonstrators, followed by trucks with flashing lights, and the sound of gunfire popping. Another video showed the toll gate itself, with a protester waving a Nigerian flag, as people ran amid the sounds of gunfire.

A Reuters witness heard sirens and gunfire.

Defence meeting

President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday held scheduled talks with the defense minister and the chief of defense staff around 6:15 p.m. (1715 GMT) to discuss national security, two presidency officials told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity.

A spokesman for the president did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The Nigerian army was due to begin a two-month national exercise on Tuesday. When the move was announced on Saturday, it denied the move was part of a security response to the demonstrations. Days earlier, the military said it was prepared to help maintain law and order.

Story continues below advertisement


Click to play video 'Fiery aftermath of pipeline explosion in Nigeria'







Fiery aftermath of pipeline explosion in Nigeria


Fiery aftermath of pipeline explosion in Nigeria

The weeks-long protests were sparked by a video that began circulating in early October purportedly showing SARS officers shooting a man in southern Delta state. Police denied the shooting.

Authorities on Tuesday imposed a round-the-clock curfew on Lagos as the state governor said protests had turned violent.

It is one of five of Nigeria’s 36 states to have announced such measures in the last two days. The national police chief also ordered the immediate deployment of anti-riot forces nationwide following increased attacks on police facilities, a police spokesman said.

(Reporting by Alexis Akwagyiram and Libby George in Lagos, and Paul Carsten; Additional reporting by Felix Onuah and Camillus Eboh in Abuja, Nneka Chile in Lagos and Tife Owolabi in Yenagoa; Editing by Grant McCool and Raju Gopalakrishnan)








Source link

4 children among 7 injured in drive-by shooting in Arizona: Police


Police said they’re still looking for a suspect.

Seven people, including four children, were injured in an apparent drive-by shooting Friday night in Mesa, Arizona, authorities said.

The victims included three adults and four children ages 1, 6, 9 and 16, Mesa Police Department Chief Ken Cost said Saturday afternoon during a press briefing. The children were from multiple families.

The 1-year-old was hospitalized in “extremely critical” condition, Cost said, while the other victims had non-life-threatening injuries that ranged from minor to severe.

“This is devastating, this is a sad day,” Cost said.

The shooting occurred after occupants of a white SUV stopped in the middle of the road and opened fire toward the food area, where several families were eating, Cost said.

One of the food vendors returned fire at the vehicle, and it is not known at this time if it was struck, police said.

No suspects have been located or detained, police said.

Investigators have not found any link between the perpetrators and the victims, Cost said. They are also working to determine if an incident in the same parking lot several hours earlier that day, during which a food vendor intervened while a man was allegedly assaulting a woman, is connected to the shooting, the chief said.

“This type of senseless, evil violence will not be tolerated in our city or anywhere else,” Cost said, urging people to come forward with any information.

Officers and investigators were processing the scene on Saturday and speaking to witnesses. Footage of the scene captured by Phoenix ABC affiliate KNXV showed tents from the event still set up in the parking lot.

“We’re in the early stages of trying to find out who did this, and what motive there might have been for this incident,” Mesa Police Department spokesperson Detective Nik Rasheta said Friday night during a press briefing at the scene.



Source link

Fatal shooting in Denver amid dueling protests, police say



A man was fatally shot in Denver on Saturday amid dueling protests in the city, according to police.

The shooting happened following a verbal altercation, Joe Montoya, division chief of investigations for the Denver Police Department, said at a Saturday press conference.

A “private security guard with no affiliation with Antifa,” is a suspect in the shooting, according to a tweet from Denver police.

“We don’t want any erroneous information going out, any speculation,” Montoya said. “That’s what gets everybody angry and motivated to commit more violence, and that’s what we’re trying to prevent.”

There was a heavy police presence at the event, and officers attempted to keep “two groups with opposing views” apart, Montoya said. 

An event titled “BLM-Antifa Soup Drive” was scheduled to occur near the location of the shooting on Saturday afternoon. That was planned to counter a “Patriot Muster” at the same location, according to a Facebook event.





Source link

Card game argument leaves 1 dead, 1 injured after shooting


Jamel Hendrix of Lumberton, North Carolina, died prior to reaching the hospital.

An argument at a card game led to one man being killed and one man being shot on Saturday.

The incident occurred at approximately 2:59 a.m. on Oct. 10, when authorities from Robeson County Sheriff’s Office in Rowland, North Carolina, responded to a report of two men having been shot at a residence.

“The shootings are the result of an argument at a card game,” read a statement released by the Robeson County Sheriff’s Office.

When the police arrived they found 54-year-old Rodney Lewis of Rowland, North Carolina, suffering from a non-life threatening gunshot wound. Authorities did not release details on the extent of his injuries.

The first responders also found 24-year-old Jamel R. Hendrix of Lumberton, North Carolina, suffering from a gunshot wound.

Hendrix was immediately transported for treatment at Southeastern Health in Lumberton but died from the gunshot wound suffered at the card game prior to reaching the hospital.

No information was released about the relationships of the individuals who were attending the card game and who the suspect is, how many people witnessed the incident, or what the circumstances were that led to the argument and the subsequent shooting.

Authorities are now actively investigating the shootings and there has been no further information on if there would be any arrests.



Source link

‘Targeted’ shooting in new Canberra suburb not gang related, ACT police say


Police believe a shooting in Canberra’s south overnight, in which multiple shots were fired into a car, was a targeted attack.

A handful of shots were fired into a car window at a house on Fairhall Street in Coombs in the early hours of Friday morning, while the family was inside the home.

Residents reported seeing a car speeding away, and it was last seen travelling east on John Gorton Drive.

Detective Acting Superintendent Mark Steel said AFP Forensic Services had been to the scene on Friday to examine the area.

“ACT Policing recovered three spent shotgun casings at the crime scene which are being forensically examined,” he said.

“It’s important to recognise this was a targeted attack rather than a random incident. Our detectives are making a number of enquiries.”

The family was inside the home when multiple shots were fired into a car at Coombs.(Supplied: ACT Policing)

Police rule out weapon was gun stolen from AFP car

Police said at this time they had no reason to believe the shooting was orchestrated by any criminal gang.

Police had initially investigated the possibility the attack was linked to a theft last week, when an Australian Federal Police car was broken into.

A duty belt and a police firearm were stolen from the car.

A car with multiple bullet holes in the window and door.
Police believe a shotgun was used to fire several times into the car.(ABC News: Selby Stewart)

But an examination of the shotgun casings found at the scene determined the weapon was not the same as the firearms issued to AFP officers.

Several residents gathered to listen to police, but did not speak to media.

Locals in the Molonglo Valley have recently expressed concern for community safety in the area.

A shotgun casing on the ground next to an evidence marker.
Police ruled out the weapon used was the same as that stolen from a police car last week.(Supplied: ACT Policing)

Last month, a teenager was stabbed to death at a skate park in Weston Creek. Police are yet to charge anyone over the stabbing.

The death prompted residents to establish a neighbourhood watch, and renew calls for a police station to be established in the area.

Detective Acting Superintendent Steel reassured residents that crime in the area was not worsening.

“Crime in the Molonglo Valley is down on previous years, but this is serious, and we are treating as such,” he said.



Source link

Thomas Jefferson Byrd: Spike Lee film star killed in shooting in Atlanta | Ents & Arts News



Spike Lee and Viola Davis are leading the tributes following the death of actor Thomas Jefferson Byrd, who has died after being shot multiple times.

Homicide detectives in Atlanta, Georgia, are investigating after officers were called to the city’s southwest side, where Byrd lived, in the early hours of Saturday.

Police spokesman Officer Anthony Grant said the 70-year-old was found unresponsive with several wounds in his back.

Responding paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.

Byrd was known for his work in films by Oscar-winning director and producer Lee, including Clockers, He Got Game, Chi-Raq, Bamboozled and Da Sweet Blood Of Jesus.

Lee paid tribute to Byrd in several Instagram posts, sharing some of his favourite scenes of the actor and recalling how he “did his thang” in his films.

“May we all wish condolences and blessings to his family,” Lee wrote in one post. “Rest in peace, Brother Byrd.”

In another, he said: “May Brother Byrd Be Flying Through Those Heavenly Pearly Gates. AMEN.”

Oscar-winning actress Viola Davis said she had “loved working” with Byrd, and described him as “a fine actor” in posts on social media.

Byrd, also a stage actor, was nominated for a Tony award in 2003 for his performance in the Broadway revival of Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, co-starring Whoopi Goldberg and Charles S Dutton.

The story has also been brought to Netflix in a film starring Chadwick Boseman, who died of cancer in August.

Images showing the star in his final role were released by the streaming service last week.



Source link