Hundreds of people crossed the border in the lead-up to the hard closure
Incoming travellers include residents seeking to avoid the Melbourne lockdown
Some have expressed relief but others have spoken of confusion about the pre-approval process
A line of about 150 cars was queued at the Bordertown checkpoint in SA’s South East late yesterday, with incoming travellers expressing mixed feelings, including confusion and relief.
“We live in Melbourne now, but we’d like to get back to South Australia so we can avoid the lockdown and feel a bit safer about where we are,” one traveller said as she waited at the checkpoint with her family.
“We’ve got a full car of everything — we’ve left the dog behind sadly, but the rest of us have come back.”
Another South Australian local who had been in Victoria told the ABC she “just thought ‘we’ve got to get out of here’, so we literally just got in the car, packed up and came home”.
Only residents returning to South Australia or those granted a special exemption will now be allowed to pass through checkpoints along the border.
Anyone returning will still be required to self-isolate for 14 days, while Victorian residents attempting to cross will be turned away, unless they are essential travellers and abide by strict conditions.
“We didn’t really anticipate it was going to take so long to get through the line,” South Australian resident Christina Rugari said.
“[We had] to go all the way back through the queue and come through again.”
More than 23,000 people living in Victorian border towns have applied for exemptions allowing them to enter South Australia, with a major backlog in processing the applications.
People living in those locations will only be allowed to travel 50 kilometres into South Australia, SA Police has confirmed.
Commissioner Grant Stevens yesterday said the limit was necessary to allow for locals to continue with their daily routines at the same time as keeping communities safe.
“That will enable them to undertake those services or functions that they require as part of their daily lives, but will prevent them from travelling too far into South Australia and provide us with greater security in relation to their movements,” he said.
South Australian magistrate Bob Harrap has resigned from his position less than two weeks after being arrested and charged with corruption offences.
Magistrate Harrap was last month arrested and charged with corruption offences
SA Chief Magistrate Mary-Louise Hribal said she had received his resignation
A police prosecutor and a criminal lawyer have been charged alongside Magistrate Harrap
Magistrate Harrap was charged in late June, following an investigation conducted by the state’s Independent Commissioner Against Corruption (ICAC).
Anti-corruption commissioner Bruce Lander said Magistrate Harrap had been charged with two counts of deception and one count of conspiracy to commit abuse of public office.
He was also charged with conspiracy to attempt to “obstruct or pervert the course of justice or due administration of the law”.
A South Australian police prosecutor and a criminal lawyer have been charged with corruption offences alongside Magistrate Harrap.
In a short statement on Wednesday evening, South Australia’s Chief Magistrate, Mary-Louise Hribal, said Magistrate Harrap had tendered his resignation as a magistrate in South Australia.
Resignation follows first court appearance
The resignation came two days after his first court appearance over the charges.
Magistrate Harrap and lawyer Catherine Moyse — principal solicitor at CJM Legal — appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday, charged with perverting the course of justice.
Police prosecutor Abigail “Abi” Foulkes and another woman — whose identity has been suppressed — did not appear in court.
In June, Mr Lander said it was alleged that, on two occasions, Magistrate Harrap “misrepresented who was driving his government-issued vehicle at the time it was observed committing traffic offences”.
“It will also be separately alleged that … Magistrate Harrap conspired with another person to pervert the cause of justice and conspired to abuse his public office in relation to a matter that was to be heard by him and was heard by him,” the statement said.
The offences are alleged to have occurred in May this year.
In a statement released late on Monday, Mr Lander confirmed all four co-accused were charged as a result of the same investigation.
However, he clarified that the charges related to different matters.
“Senior Sergeant Abigail Foulkes and another person whose identity has been suppressed have each been charged with one count of deception,” Mr Lander said.
“A third person, Catherine Moyse who is a legal practitioner, has been jointly charged with Magistrate Harrap in a separate and unrelated matter.”
Mr Lander said Ms Moyse had been charged with “one count of conspiracy to commit the offence of abuse of public office and one count of conspiracy to attempt to obstruct or pervert the course of justice”.
All four co-accused will be back before the court later this month.
Cape Town [South Africa], July 8 (ANI): Cricket South Africa (CSA) on Wednesday announced the re-appointment of Hilton Moreeng as the head coach of the Proteas women’s team on a three-year deal.
Moreeng led the South African side to the semi-finals of both the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup (2014 and 2020) and the ICC Women’s World Cup (2017).
“To be given the chance to work with the women’s team again is an exciting opportunity. When I first started, we had a number of young players with a lot of potential, now they’ve matured and have shown that they can compete with the best in the world,” said Moreeng in an official statement.
“The next step is to make sure we compete for a top three world ranking with the aim of winning silverware for South Africa,” Moreeng added.
Moreeng new deal includes both the 2021 ODI World Cup and the 2022 T20 World Cup due to be held in New Zealand and South Africa respectively.
“Our Momentum Proteas are entering a very important period as they prepare for next year’s ICC Women’s World Cup,” said CSA Director of Cricket, Graeme Smith.
“Their recent performances in both white ball formats have firmly established them as one of the top teams in the world as witnessed by their recent ODI tour to New Zealand and their performances against the world’s acknowledged leaders, Australia and England, at the recent T20 World Cup,” he added. (ANI)
SA Health Minister Stephen Wade said there had been no new cases of coronavirus cases recorded today and it had been 105 days since the last case of community transmission was identified within the state.
However, he said the tough border measures were justified.
Commissioner Stevens said the new hard border restrictions were based on advice from health officials today, following a meeting of the state’s transmission committee.
He said there were was a call out for volunteers within SA Police for COVID-19 border protection duties, with about 400 already rostered on.
Police are currently assessing which access points can be physically closed and which could host new checkpoints.
Commissioner Stevens said travellers from cross-border communities would still be allowed into SA in some circumstances, but would be limited in how far they could go.
Travellers from New South Wales and the ACT will still be able to travel into South Australia if they quarantine for 14 days, ahead of a planned border opening date of July 20.
Nightclubs show ‘total disregard’ for distancing
Commissioner Stevens said the state’s transition committee had concerns about crowd behaviour inside and outside of nightclubs in the Adelaide CBD over the weekend.
SA Police visited several dozen venues and issued warnings.
The commissioner said nightclubs will now be restricted from trading until they had an approved COVID-19 management plan.
He said dancing within nightclubs was known to be a high-risk activity for COVID-19 transmission and some venues had failed to protect patrons.
He insisted allowing nightclubs to operate, albeit with a ban on drinking and dancing, was not a mistake.
“We were giving every sector of the community the opportunity to trade as viably as possible,” he said.
Flight touches down in Adelaide
More international arrivals touched down at Adelaide Airport this morning amid calls to restrict the number of overseas travellers allowed back into the state.
A Singapore Airlines flight carrying 49 passengers arrived about 7:00am, with passengers managed by SA Police and SA Health.
Passengers have since been taken to the Pullman Hotel, in Adelaide’s CBD, to complete a mandatory fortnight of supervised isolation and testing for COVID-19.
Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier confirmed two people had been taken to Adelaide hospitals this morning from that hotel.
“There are a number of women who are in quarantine in the hotels who are pregnant,” Dr Spurrier said.
“One of those needed to have a check-up today, and that was just a routine check-up.”
An SA Government spokesperson said there were 424 people in mandatory isolation at the Pullman Hotel and 103 at the Playford Hotel, both in Adelaide’s CBD.
Opposition health spokesperson Chris Picton called on the State Government to follow other states in restricting the number of international arrivals.
“If we’re seeing [other states] putting caps and restrictions on international arrivals into their state, that obviously increases the risk that we’re going to see a significant number of people coming into South Australia, unless we have some sort of restriction in place here as well,” Mr Picton said.
“We need to make sure that our hotel quarantine management program in South Australia is safe and is going to be manageable.”
However, Health Minister Stephen Wade dismissed the call, saying that South Australia has a “tried and tested procedure in managing returned passengers safely”.
“It is common sense that the State Government will not be accepting any flights which we could not manage appropriately,” he said.
“What is occurring in Victoria has not occurred anywhere else in Australia. It is a new part of the pandemic, and as such it requires a new type of response,” NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.
But what does that mean for the ACT — completely surrounded by NSW?
Can Victorians travel into the ACT?
Yesterday the ACT Government announced it would mirror the NSW border restrictions, preventing all Victorians — not just those from hot-spot areas — from travelling to Canberra from midnight tonight.
Anyone travelling from Victoria to the ACTwill be denied entry at the NSW border from 12:01am Wednesday unless they are granted an exemption.
Those exemptions might be for work, if your job is considered an essential service, or to receive urgent medical care.
They may also be compassionate, like visiting a critically ill relative, providing urgent care to a family member, or attending a funeral.
An online system is currently being set up to allow Victorians to apply for an exemption to visit the ACT. You should apply for an exemption at least 48 hours in advance.
It is possible that exemption will also allow travel within New South Wales.
ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr said his government was working with NSW on hammering out the specifics.
“We anticipate that these arrangements are a temporary measure, but they will remain in place whilst the New South Wales-Victoria border is closed,” he said yesterday.
“But it is important now that we do everything that we can to protect our community, and at the same time support Victoria.”
The NSW Government is issuing its own exemptions for both essential travel for Victorians, and for residents who live near the border.
Emergency services workers and freight drivers will also be provided exemptions.
Can Canberrans return home from Victoria?
ACT residents will be able to return home from Victoria, but they will be asked to self-isolate for 14 days.
You will need to notify ACT Health of your plans to travel back to Canberra, and obtain a permit, through the same online system as Victorians seeking an exemption.
You will have to provide details on how you are getting back to the ACT, and where you will self-isolate for 14 days.
For those without a suitable place to self-isolate other arrangements will be made.
Significant delays are expected for those trying to cross the NSW-Victorian border for the next few days, as paperwork is checked.
Those driving back are advised to be prepared for delays, and have proof of residence on them (like an ACT drivers license, if it has your current Canberra address on it).
The ACT Government has also advised people who have been in Melbourne recently, before the new rules came into place, to be on the lookout for coronavirus symptoms for a period of 14 days after leaving the city.
As per usual health advice, if you feel unwell, isolate yourself from others and get tested by your GP or through one of the COVID-19 testing centres.
“We have responded incredibly well to COVID-19 so far and are in a good position,” Minister for Health Rachel Stephen-Smith said.
“However, we know COVID-19 continues to pose a significant risk to public health and the ACT community.
“Extending the directions will allow us to respond quickly and appropriately if there were to be an outbreak of new cases in the ACT.”
If you are wondering when you should come back to the ACT, if you can spare a few days the ACT Government suggests it might be worthwhile.
That is to allow time for the new systems around border crossings and permits to be set up.
And once you are back in Canberra, the rules around self-isolation are strict. Fines of up to $8000 can be issued for serious breaches.
Can Canberrans travel to Victoria during school holidays?
The ACT Government is “strongly advising Canberrans to not travel to Victoria for any reason other than absolutely essential purposes”.
If you do have to travel over the border, once you return to the ACT, you will be required to self-isolate for 14 days.
“We anticipate that these arrangements will only remain in place whilst the NSW and Victorian border is closed,” the Government said.
“It’s important now that we do everything that we can to protect our community and support Victoria, and the rest of the nation, in stopping the spread of the virus.”
Penalties and fines may apply to people who fail to comply with Public Health Directions.
Can Canberrans travel elsewhere in Australia during school holidays?
There are a few options available to you for the school holidays, but New South Wales is probably the best bet right now, with Queensland soon to become an option too.
ACT residents are free to travel anywhere they like in New South Wales (the beach does sound tempting).
Queensland is set to reopen its borders on July 10 to ACT travellers (another good beach option).
South Australia’s borders are still effectively closed to ACT travellers, as 14-days of self-isolation is required, but that may lift from July 20.
The Northern Territory will lift its border restrictions from July 17 (not such a great beach option — definitely swim between the flags, the crocs are real).
Tasmania is due to reopen borders on July 24 (if you are surfing, hope you’ve got a thick wetsuit).
Western Australia remains closed with no indication given of when it will reopen.
Of course, these border openings are all subject to change, depending on the coronavirus status in each state and territory.
Two people have died and eight are injured following a shooting at a nightclub in the US, authorities have said.
Sheriffs say gunfire broke out inside the Lavish Lounge, in Greenville County, South Carolina, just before 2am local time (7am in the UK) on Sunday.
A large crowd of people was then seen running from the building.
No arrests have been made and the Greenville County sheriff’s office said it had received “some suspect information” following the shooting.
Speaking at a news conference, Sheriff Hobart Lewis said officers were not sure whether there had been multiple gunmen.
“We don’t really have a person of interest that we can name,” Mr Lewis said.
The names of the victims and details of injured survivors’ conditions have not been immediately released.
A post on Lavish Lounge’s Facebook page advertised a performance by trap rapper Foogiano for the night of Saturday 4 July.
Foogiano is fine and his team safe, a bookings representative said in a text message.
Lavish Lounge is located about five miles southwest of central Greenville, which has experienced some of the state’s highest coronavirusrates.
Cases of the virus have been rising across the state, and its rate of positive tests is three times the recommended level.
At the end of June, Greenville became the first city to mandate face coverings in the state, despite Governor Henry McMaster refusing to implement a state-wide mask requirement.
However, despite his stance on masks, Mr McMaster has not lifted restrictions on large crowds, and has said that those operating nightclubs illegally or holding concerts against his orders do not have to be caught in the act to face criminal charges.
Instead, if COVID-19 cases are traced back, they could be charged retrospectively.
Mr Lewis said he did not know whether the club had sought an exemption to the governor’s order or secured a permit for Saturday night’s event, but said it was clear that people inside were not two metres apart.
“It’s certainly not the best situation to stop the spread of this virus,” the sheriff said.
The Victorian border with New South Wales will be closed from Tuesday night following talks between Premiers Daniel Andrews and Gladys Berejiklian and Prime Minister Scott Morrison, the ABC understands.
Mr Andrews is due to hold a press conference at 10:45am.