Man dies and suspected attacker flees the scene after stabbing in Melbourne’s South Yarra



A man has died and his suspected attacker has fled the scene after a stabbing in Melbourne’s inner south-east overnight.

Police said it was believed two men were involved in a fight at the intersection of Essex Street and Malvern Road in South Yarra at about 11:00pm on Friday.

A man, believed to be in his 40s, was found with suspected stab wounds to his upper body.

He was taken to hospital, where he later died.

“The other man fled the scene,” a Victoria Police spokesman said.

Homicide Squad detectives are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death and the altercation.

A housing complex on Malvern Road was blocked off as police attended the scene. Crime scene tape extended for blocks surrounding the intersection.

Sections of Malvern Road remained closed to traffic into Saturday morning.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has dashcam footage of the area on Friday night is urged to contact Crime Stoppers.



Source link

Lawyer for Mert Ney seeks adjournment over alleged CBD stabbing murder of Michaela Dunn


A Sydney court has been told 1,500 pages of mental health and medical reports have been produced about a man accused of fatally stabbing a woman in the CBD last year.

Mert Ney, 21, was arrested last August and charged with murdering 24-year-old Michaela Dunn and seriously wounding 41-year-old Lin Bo.

This morning his lawyer sought a 12-week adjournment in Sydney’s Central Local Court, citing the need to explore Mr Ney’s fitness to plead and “potential defences that might be available”.

The court heard about 1,500 pages of material had already been produced from Justice Health and other organisations, but November was the earliest availability for a psychiatrist to compile a report.

The prosecutor opposed the adjournment on the grounds of “undue” and “unacceptable” delay, saying it had been over a year since the alleged offence and more than five months since Mr Ney’s defence first raised the prospect of mental health reports.

Magistrate Robert Williams noted the Criminal Procedure Act gave the court the power to commit matters if there had been “unreasonable delay”.

“I propose to list this matter next Tuesday and to hear arguments from the parties why this matter should not be committed,” he said.

A young blonde woman smiling
Michaela Dunn was stabbed to death last August.(NSW Police)

Last year, the court heard police were accessing Mr Ney’s phone as part of their inquiries.

His charges include murder, wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, assault, choking and drug possession.

During the incident, Mr Ney was seen climbing cars in the middle of the CBD before he was restrained by members of the public.

The incident caused emergency responders to lock down the city.

Police alleged Mr Ney visited Ms Dunn prior to his alleged attack for a sex work appointment.

The court previously heard he required medication for pain and mental illness and experienced problems in custody including insomnia.

The case will return to court on September 15.



Source link

Accused murderer claims insanity, says wife appeared like ‘a ghost’ before Perth stabbing


A man who claims he was insane at the time he killed his wife told police she appeared to him as if she were “a ghost” and “like a devil” before he attacked her with a knife at their Balga home, WA’s Supreme Court has been told.

Upendra Pathmasri Ihalahewa, 46, is on trial accused of murdering 44-year-old Darshika Nilmini Kudaligama Withana in Perth on the morning of Sunday February 3 last year.

Mr Ihalahewa admits he inflicted the fatal wounds, but is arguing he should not be held criminally responsible for his wife’s death because he was “of unsound mind” at the time.

The court was told Ms Withana was stabbed multiple times, including one in which her jugular vein was severed.

She also had 37 “defensive” injuries to her hands and fingers.

Husband failed to take medication: prosecutors

In an opening statement to the court, state prosecutor Robert Owen said Ms Withana came to Perth from Sri Lanka in 2015, after what Mr lhalahewa told neighbours was an “arranged” marriage.

Darshika Withana died after she was stabbed multiple times by her husband.(Supplied)

The neighbours also said in the years before the marriage, Mr Ihalahewa had told them he was homosexual.

Mr Owen told the court that in the lead up to the alleged murder, Mr Ihalahewa had used an online dating app “to meet random men for casual sex”.

Witnesses also described Ms Withana as seeming “consistently miserable”.

Mr Owen said court records showed Mr Ihalahewa was first hospitalised with mental health problems in 2014 after “an incident” at the Frankland psychiatric centre, where he was on a placement as part of his enrolled nursing studies.

He said the incident had left Mr Ihalahewa feeling “embarrassed and uncomfortable” and he reported suffering auditory hallucinations, “persecutory delusions” and was repeatedly stating that he was not gay.

The court heard he was diagnosed with “depression with psychotic features” and when he was taken to see his family in Sri Lanka, he was prescribed medication, which the court heard he was not taking in the lead up to his wife’s death.

He also was not seeking any treatment from medical professionals in Perth.

Neighbours heard yelling end abruptly

The court heard that after the killing, Mr Ihalahewa told detectives when he would look at his wife he would see “different faces”, and claimed she had said to him, “If you come to Sri Lanka, I’ll get my friends to kill you”.

He also described feeling like he was “living in a cemetery”, and the court heard when his wife showed Mr Ihalahewa’s brother the room he was living in, it appeared he was sleeping on the floor and urinating into a bucket.

Mr Ihalahewa said before he attacked his wife, she had tried to give him a head massage, but he got a knife and stabbed her when he saw “a ghost coming to take him” and “a devil coming to me”.

At the time, neighbours reported hearing a woman yelling for about five minutes before the noise ended abruptly, prompting one to send a message to a friend saying “OMG, the woman next door just sounded like she was getting murdered and now it’s deathly silent”.

The judge-alone trial is expected to run for three days, with most of the evidence to come from psychiatrists. 



Source link

Man dies following stabbing in Sydney’s inner west


A man has died after being stabbed in the chest in Sydney’s inner west.

Emergency services were called to Henry Street, Lewisham, following concerns for the man’s welfare just after 1pm.

A man has died after a stabbing at Lewisham in Sydney’s inner west on Friday.Credit:Matt Wade

A man, believed to be in his 30s, was stabbed in his upper left chest.

The man died on the way to hospital.



Source link

Six Irish people under investigation over horrific stabbing in Sydney


SYDNEY, NSW, Australia – Six Irish people are being investigated over the horrific stabbing in suburban Sydney on the weekend.

Emergency responders including paramedics and officers from the Eastern Beaches Police Area Command were called to a house at Randwick in Sydney around 8:40pm on Saturday night. There they found a 30-year old man, Oliver Solan, with severe stab wounds to his head and body, and with an ear severed. He was rushed to hospital where he remains in serious condition.

An Irish couple were hunted down and arrested later Saturday night. New South Wales police have also released photos of four Irish men who allegedly took part in the stabbing.

Patrick Earle, 23, formerly of Ireland but living in Australia, was the first to be arrested. He was found injured and was taken to Prince of Wales Hospital. He appeared in court on Monday via videolink. His partner Katie Murtagh, 29, has also been arrested and appeared in the Sydney suburban Waverley court on Sunday and was also stood over for mention on Monday. Both, pictured here, are being held without bail:

Police are alleging Earle and the alleged victim Oliver Solan, 30, were known to each other and they had an argument and a physical altercation.

Police allege four men then arrived at the Young St residential unit and stabbed the alleged victim after Murtagh let them in.

Following are the images of the four men, also believed to be Irish nationals, released by New South Wales Police on Monday:

On Monday afternoon police released images of four men they want to speak to in connection with the incident.

Detectives believe all four men are Irish nationals.

The four men police are looking for. Contact police if you know their whereabouts. Picture: NSW Police

The first man is described as being of caucasian appearance, about 175cm tall, slim build with tattoos on his left hand, dark hair and a beard, wearing orange hooded Adidas jumper, grey tracksuit pants and dark grey Nike shoes.

The second man is described as being of caucasian appearance, about 175cm tall, medium build, dark short hair with a beard wearing a grey North Face T-shirt and black Nike Shorts.

The third man is described as being of caucasian appearance, about 170cm tall, clean shaven, black stud like earrings, wearing a cream/blue LA baseball cap backwards, dark blue puffer jacket, dark blue tracksuit pants and Nike shoes.

The fourth man is also described as being caucasian in appearance, short and medium build, wearing grey hooded jumper and grey tracksuit pants and black shoes.

Anyone knowing the whereabouts or identity of any of the four men pictured above is asked to contact police at the Maroubra, Sydney police station on +61 2 9349 9299 or anonymously through Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

(Photo credit: Channel 7).



Source link

Rugby league players given life bans after alleged stabbing


A young rugby league player has been banned for life after an alleged stabbing at a game in western Sydney.

The Daily Telegraph first reported 19-year-old Ratu Nanovo was one of three players slapped with a lifetime ban by the NSW Rugby League (NSWRL) for his alleged involvement in an ugly incident between Penrith Brothers and Wentworthville Magpies earlier this month.

Nanovo was arrested and charged with three counts of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. The charge carries a maximum 25 years in prison.

Police allege the former Australian Schoolboys star, who was previously involved in the Penrith Panthers system, went to a car and got a knife, which he hid in his shorts, after the under-20s match in North Parramatta.

It is alleged he then stabbed three males — a 19-year-old Magpies player and two spectators, 16 and 22 — after a fight broke out in the carpark.

Brothers player Bradley Wayne Middlebrook was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm while in company and affray over the incident.

He was refused bail at Penrith Local Court earlier this month and will next appear in court in October. Middlebrook was also handed a life ban by the NSWRL.

“Three players have been issued with breach notices for serious Code of Conduct offences,” a NSWRL spokesperson told news.com.au.

“The charges allege a breach of both the NRL Code of Conduct and the NSWRL Code Conduct by way of assaulting or acting with aggression towards another person and also behaving in a way which is contrary to the Code of Conduct and the spirit of the game.

“The Adjudicated Penalty (which can be contested at a hearing) is a lifetime ban from participating in or attending Community Rugby League matches.

“Two of the three players have been charged criminally and their Code of Conduct hearings are unlikely to take place until after the criminal proceedings have been concluded.

“All three players are suspended until the Code of Conduct hearings are concluded.”

New South Wales Rugby League Chief Executive David Trodden said: “The NSWRL has a zero tolerance for any behaviour which threatens the safety of participants, officials and spectators involved in junior sport who should be able to expect to play and/or attend and enjoy community sport without any concerns or fears.

“We make no apology for taking a strong stance and issuing breach notices for life bans for those involved in this sickening incident.”

Police believe the alleged stabbing was spurred on by an on-field incident. Superintendent Daryl Jobson told reporters earlier this month the match became heated after a shoulder charge led to Middlebrook being sent off the field.

“It would appear as though tensions have gone off field in this incident,” he said.

Police allege a fight erupted between two players at the end of the game before three males were stabbed with a 15cm kitchen knife in a “brutal” attack.



Source link

Shannon Brett Morrison: Videos show aftermath of alleged stabbing


A jury has been shown the chilling video of the events before and after an academic allegedly stabbed six teenagers in a Sydney park. Warning: graphic.

Videos released by the District Court chronicle the night on January 12, 2019, when Shannon Brett Morrison is accused of stabbing six people – aged 15 to 19 – one of them in the neck at Cameron Park, Turramurra.

The footage has been played before a jury in Mr Morrison’s trial. He has pleaded not guilty to 15 charges and will argue he was suffering from psychotic mental illness and paranoid delusions at the time of the alleged incident.

Camera IconShannon Brett Morrison, 35, was charged in January 2019. Credit: News Corp Australia, NCA NewsWire/Dylan Coker

A jury heard on Tuesday the former UNSW School of Medicine cancer researcher urged a police officer to “shoot me” after the alleged rampage.

He faces charges including five counts of wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and two counts of causing wounding or grievous bodily harm to a person with intent to murder.

One of the videos played to the jury reveals Mr Morrison spent almost three-and-a-half hours with ex-colleague Sinead Forbes at Kiplings Garage Bar, located across the street from Cameron Park, arriving about 6.53pm according to a time stamp.

Shannon Brett Morrison walks into Kiplings Garage Bar with ex-colleague Sinead Forbes.
Camera IconShannon Brett Morrison walks into Kiplings Garage Bar with ex-colleague Sinead Forbes. Credit: Supplied
He orders a drink at the bar.
Camera IconHe orders a drink at the bar. Credit: Supplied

CCTV from Kiplings shows the 35-year-old enjoying wine and kissing Ms Forbes in a leather lounge as the night wound down, appearing unaware or unconcerned of staff packing up in the background.

Just minutes after leaving the venue about 11.27pm, he walked into the park and allegedly stabbed a group of underage boys and girls gathered there, a court has heard.

In the footage, a man is seen peering into the park as a commotion begins, before he and several others run across the road and out of view.

Ms Forbes told the court on Tuesday Mr Morrison said he was going to the toilet before she saw him being chased out of the park by some teens, who knocked him to the ground and kicked him “either to his back or head”.

She said she heard “aggressive” noises in the dimly lit park and described Mr Morrison as “very honest”.

In the footage, panicked staff inside the restaurant begin scurrying behind the bar and a distressed woman is comforted by her male companion.

Body-worn camera video from a police officer attending the chaotic scene captured an interview with a female witness who describes how Mr Morrison “came out of nowhere” with a “blade”.

A wounded teen caught on a police body cam video.
Camera IconA wounded teen caught on a police body cam video. Credit: Supplied
Cops examine the bloodied accused.
Camera IconCops examine the bloodied accused. Credit: Supplied

The witness said her male friends were “trying to protect” the girls present from a different man they “thought was a paedophile”.

“There was this older man, who hangs around this park … I don’t know his name,” she said.

“The boys went up to him and told him to leave, not being aggressive, nothing … Just telling him to please leave because he was talking to the young girls.

Shannon Brett Morrison, left with mask, leaves court.
Camera IconShannon Brett Morrison, left with mask, leaves court. Credit: News Corp Australia, NCA NewsWire/Dylan Coker

“He left and then all of a sudden this man … he had a knife and he pulled it out and he stabbed (the) boys.

“He just came out of nowhere.”

Earlier in the trial Mr Morrison’s barrister Phillip Boulten said his client “lashed out because he thought he needed to do what he was doing”.

The trial continues.



Source link